Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trans Women's Milk Just as good as mothers breast milk - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not reading any citations or evidence linked to the blog here, or the amateur claims about specific named drugs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"Progesterone is a hormone that plays an important role in your reproductive system"

Progesterone: Natural Function, Levels & Side Effects (clevelandclinic.org)

"Progestin is a synthetic (human-made) form of progesterone that helps treat certain conditions"

Progesterone: Natural Function, Levels & Side Effects (clevelandclinic.org)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I definitely think we are part of some alien ant farm where they let us bubble away and come up with crazy **** and they have a little giggle to themselves.

These links contain no reference to application in a person born male.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

"Trans Women's Milk Just as good as mothers breast milk"- whoever wrote that is having a good piss-take, or is an utter simpleton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

That's from an article I quoted and you also need to go use Google so you can read about what Progestin (not progesterone) is. Get your facts straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Heres the link with those named drugs and more details on the report referenced in the OP since you can't be arsed to look it up yourself

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/18/trans-womens-milk-as-good-as-breast-milk-says-nhs-trust/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Hang on now.

It might surprise you to know that men can lactate, and there is some historical evidence that fathers have fed babies in circumstances where the mother dies.

In addition, adopting mothers can lactate with a lot of skin on skin contact with the baby and letting the baby latch on (though many seek the assistance of medication).

The benefits of breast milk are well documented. Researchers now believe that it's not just the milk itself, but the act of breastfeeding that makes it really beneficial. For instance, if the baby is fighting off a virus, that message is transmitted through the babies saliva while feeding. The body will then adapt the next feed to include more antibodies in the milk. That happens even in adoptive mothers who choose to breastfeed, so presumably it would happen in a transfemale who breastfeeds.

So basically it doesn't matter who breastfeeds the baby - the mother, the father, a transfemale mother, an adoptive mother (or indeed an adoptive father). The main thing is that the baby is getting breastmilk rather than formula.

And before you accuse me of being some sort of breastfeeding evangelical, I combination fed my kids. My choice. But whatever I chose to do, I know that breast milk is better is a fact.

• Advertisement

Giving out to others about your burden of proof does not an argument make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The madness and delusion is only going to increase.

Well so far we have men thinking their women, women thinking their men and what would have been sane professionals believing the delusion and encouraging it.

Then we have the powers that be trying to convince us that this is all perfectly normal and men excrete milk equal to what a woman excretes after childbirth.

Well I now identify as a brick, everyone kept telling me I was a a chip of the old block .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Milk nutrition in terms of macro and micronutrients is one thing but there is a lot more to mammals milk.

In the world of dairy, the first milk from cow is seen since forever, as critical for the health of calf. Particularly in relation to immune function.

The importance of mother's milk is seem as vitally important in terms of a healthy gut microbe of baby.

I don't see any study in OP but a reference to a letter and a reference to a study.

For someone to make a claim that milk produced by a male is off the same value as mother's milk would require very substantial evidence. The burden of proof is very much on the person making the claim.

I've searched Google scholar and can't see it.

I last milked a cow in 1992 and up to that date the use of any medicines with milk producing cows was tightly controlled. The EU is a very different food producing environment to the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Transphobes are always drumming the old "think about children" drum. So there, science thought about children. Now children can be fed by transwomen. Check and mate, transphobes 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

The thread reads a lot like our old Farage adoring friend. But anyway, given that there are currently approx 700 male to female self-certified people in Ireland, it's not really something that you will likely witness in public that will put you off your dinner / pint / cup of tae etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Because with every new stupidity that comes from the deep dark recesses of the militant trans ideology:

95% of people will think it's ridiculous

5% of people will think it's a marvellous idea

The problem is that only a handful of that 95% will say anything about it because they're scared of being branded a far right transphobe by the militant 5%.

"men excrete milk equal to what a woman excretes after childbirth."

Where did you read that? No "powers that be" wrote that.

Well I now identify as a brick

Hey you said it not me.

It's the whole premise of this thread, milk not me being a vrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think it's dangerous to assume people who have issue with this have issue with transgender people and therefore we can simply write it off as transphobia and move on. Naturally transphobic people will use this for their own agenda too.

But, I can't believe that the NHS would come out and say this. Breast milk is so unique, an individual mother produces specific antibodies for their child depending on whether that child is sick or about to be etc.

I believe factory made milk can't replicate that (It can't) and I am of the same view on this.

Sure, Cow and Gate etc can put nutrients in their blend, antibodies and vitamins etc that can adequately feed an infant and provide for their immune system.

What it can't do is for example- if a child is sick but hasn't displayed symptoms yet, saliva from the baby interacts with the mothers body. The mothers body will begin to produce breast milk specifically to combat that illness. Fascinating really. Also, microbial gut bacteria etc.

There is no way lab or factory produced milk can react in advance like that. It will and can provide nutrition to an infant. But how can you say it's as good.

Study on the multifaceted roles of breast milk: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867421002208

Study that breast milk adapts to when a baby is sick and changes it's composition

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232055/

Again, I'm not arguing that Trans women's breast milk is not capable of sustaining an infant. I just can't believe the NHS have said it's as good as/equal to.

I also think it's dangerous nowadays to agree with something because of this football team type politics. "Well, the transphobic community disagree with it therefore I've no issue with it"

It's okay to question things and criticise where necessary. Look up everything unique about breast milk and draw your own conclusions.

I wouldn't say infant formula is as good as breast milk (but wouldn't judge anyone who uses it) and likewise, I wouldn't say this milk is either. It can't possibly instantly adapt to a baby's requirements. Yes, it will fulfill them. Doesn't make it the same as.

• Advertisement

Then the whole premise of the thread is weak, the reported letter says nothing about there being equivalence.

"The evidence which is available demon­strates that the milk is compar­able to that produced following the birth of a baby."

Where does it claim it is equal, indiscernible from, identical to, in parity with, etc?

What do you understand the term comparable to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Is there evidence that the milk produced by a male person is equivalent to a mother's milk? Does it adapt to the child's needs in the same way? Do they produce colostrum which is amazing for a newborn babies health and immune system and is triggered by giving birth? I don't think there is evidence of any of that.

Funny how women are told they can't consume this or that when pregnant and breastfeeding. Judged for having a glass of wine. even just taking a paracetamol or eating brie or sushi is a heinous crime. All that concern for the baby's health goes out the window so as not to hurt a male person's feelings though. There are medications and hormones taken by trans women that would never be present in female milk, testosterone blockers for one. It's nuts to say that's fine but not a woman taking cold medicine when breastfeeding for example. The same concern for possible effects on a baby should still be present so why isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A trans woman is a man who identifies as a woman.

• oh aye?

What tablets did your mammy need to take to breastfeed you? (If she did).

In fact, any breastfeeding mothers, please what drugs were required to induce lactation?

oh yeah, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Nothing wrong with it, will put hairs on your chest.

Let's not take those nasty woke leftist definitions, right? Let's check what a Christian fundamentalist website https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/what-is-a-man/ says:

The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood proposed the Danvers Statement (1988) with Wayne Grudem and John Piper editing Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (1991). While not directly answering our question, the latter work defined manhood. Modifying that definition for our purpose, RBMW’s answer is that a man is a person whose “heart of mature masculinity” is characterized by “a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man’s differing relationships.” This answer stands in conjunction with another modified definition: a woman is a person whose “heart of mature femininity” is characterized by “a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nurture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman’s differing relationships.”

Where is the gender or the sex in this definition? There is none! A person with a "heart of mature femininity", regardless of physical characteristics. I think everyone can unite around this blamelessly platonic definition :)

Tell me you don't know what a hormone is without telling me ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Advertisement

A more thoughtful response than my post deserved, so thank you for that. Before posting, I read the op's article, I looked up the quoted medical professional and her list of published studies. I would be of the mind she is more of an authority than most/all on here.

What is ironic is the educational background of the think tank spokesperson quoted is the same kind of background that would have been laughed at in the woke-ism thread.

Having said all that, the thread was clearly created as yet another "have a go at trans people" thread. The usual lads here don't care about trans people, so it is a hard sell that they care about their children either. In my honest opinion.

Why the obsession with hormones, breastfeeding, top/bottom surgery and puberty blockers which are all essentially based on the physical appearance if that's the definition you'd chose to go with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭rogber

Men wanting to prove anything women can do they can do better, or at least equally well. Never changes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I think you'd have much more fun asking Kier Starmer that question 😃

Woman = Adult Human Female

My Mother is a woman, and so is my wife!

Can't imagine having this conversation even ten years ago, crazy times we live In ...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

If this "medical professional" actually believes that "Trans Women's Milk Just as good as mothers breast milk", then she should be struck off any medical register she is on, and mentally assessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Next time our American friend is in Ireland he can go milk your bull and see how that works out for him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are men, and there are women. That's it.

If you have been present at a birth, it is observed and recorded whether the baby is a boy, or is a girl. That's it.

Women can give birth and breastfeed. Men can't.

If people think otherwise, well they are bonkers, and the world has gone mad.

Well, what would give more clicks? A story of a transwoman integrating well into a society, or a sensational story about a theoretical trans wet nurse with huge tits?

Personally, I go with the Christian definition, of course. If the god created a boy who wants to become a woman, it is in the god's plan and it should be followed.

Could not care less

Why did you ask for a definition if you do not care about the definition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And on the other side we have millenia of proof women's breast milk is good.

Hell we wouldn't be here today without it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

• Oh overheal give your head a shake.

If you seriously think popping hormone tablets to breastfeed a baby is the direct equivalent or even comparable to a birthing mothers natural hormones then I have a bridge to sell you.

I’ve had two kids with my partner. I didn’t lactate. Probably because I’m a man. She did.

Funnily enough she didn’t need any medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

• Honestly for me this is just getting way past weird.

Call yourself what you want, dress how you want, walk and talk how you want, but when you start taking hormones and medications to alter your body in ways that really shouldn’t be (and let’s be honest we haven’t a clue of the long term effects of these “treatments”) I can’t abide it anymore tbh.

Transgender folk are coming up on radars way too often lately and for the wrong reasons.

its funny you never hear this type of craic out of the gay and lesbian community. Will gay men who adopt babies flip a coin now on who’s breastfeeding?

Jesus Christ like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So here's me wondering now why I ever bothered my .... waking up every night to do all the breastfeeding - why didn't the maternity tell my husband he just had to fill up with drugs and he'd be able to feed too!

That way I could have been drinking and eating all the things women are always told they have to avoid when breast feeding. In fact it turns out that must have been a waste of effort too, if hormones and a drug cocktail produces milk that's "just as good" as milk from a woman who avoids alcohol, painkillers, antibiotics and even foods like cabbage because they're all supposedly bad for her milk. WTAF???

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I couldn't care less about your personal definition of a woman but if that is the one you wish to go with you'd be asked to clarify the answer to the question asked.

The issues all occur when no party can accurately back up their opinions.

Wait, what? My personal definition? You have begged multiple times to give YOU the definition of a woman. I have given you a definition from https://erlc.com/, a Christian institution. It is not my definition.

Do you accept this definition, or are you going to ask for definitions again and again, like a parrot?

• Advertisement

It was a gotcha headline produced by a number of red-tops and used by the op. I doubt the actual quote exists anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Disgraceful state of affairs. I’m starting to think Enoch, Isaac and the very lovely Ammi have very valid point when it comes to this topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Can't imagine many men signing up for the sleepless nights, cluster feeding, pumping and dumping , chapped nipples, engorged breasts and mastitis lol. I don't think much of that would feature in many trans women's expectations of what breast feeding is either.

I'm sure in time we'll have people lecturing about how males are just so much better at breastfeeding than us lowly women though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s all getting very South Park

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

The performatively outraged anti-trans extremists are getting very desperate, turning to the Burkes of Castlebar now as their "saviours", lol.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement