Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

What is wrong with living in houses?

I heard a statistic on the radio today that in Berlin only 13% of householders are homeowners. 13%!

The rest renting, presumably mostly flats rather than houses.

And the contributors were lauding it as a great thing, that you take out a tenancy and you keep the place for 20 years, as long as you don't act up.

Berlin sounds like an absolute nightmare tbh. Anybody who thinks long term flat letting should be Ireland's future is demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

There are people from Dublin, who now live in places like Gorey, who when they visit their parents on the street they grew up on, see unemployed non nationals living on that street for an absolute pittance. Be it either in a council house or, even worse, when the state covers the vast majority of their rent, as high and even above 2k a month.

Make that make sense to me. Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It cant happen, unless we leave the EU.

We need more migrarton to fill the gap in services and continue to grow the economy.

Yes, we need to build more houses, but we need services and growth also and we cant do that without migrants.

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Focus more on the housing delivery, rather than banning doctors from coming here in a health crisis.

As an example, the majoriy of new doctors on the medical register each year are non irish. We dont have enough doctors, as any visit to a hopsital will confirm.

Cutting our new doctor nunbers in half would help nobody.

There is a valid case to manage immigration, but there is no doubt that some migration is needed, both irish people and non-irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Denmark changed their migration policies and reduced their numbers of asylum seekers per year received by 90%. Denmark did this while remaining in the EU. And while remaining a liberal, democratic, economically prosperous, nation that follows their legal obligations.

Why, specifically, can't we copy their policy?

Theres a big difference between skilled migration used to fill gaps in the economy and tens of thousands of unqualified asylum seekers arriving per year. Absolutely nobody that I've seen anywhere is calling to reduce the immigration of foreign doctors to Ireland. People are simply stating that while we're in the biggest housing crisis in the history of the state, maybe taking in 20,000 unskilled non-EU asylum seekers a year should be put on pause.

If we reduced the number of asylum seekers we took in this year by 90%, as Denmark has done, that would be the equivalent of needing 6,000 fewer housing units this year. Or building 6,000 more. An increase of almost 20%. That would be hugely significant, and helpful, in the context of the current housing crisis.

• Advertisement

The other fella/school kid in this thread IS saying we need to reduce skilled migrants.

Your comments are wholly sensible.

You really wont.

Lets see how your no migrant or economic growth nirvana works out.

Newsflash: You wont get the chance because it wont happen.

Do you also believe in a cash is king society and 5G mind control?

Come back to me when you see a policy to halt all inward migration.

Until then. I will be proven right. Every day. All day.

That inward migration is an essential part of a developing economy.

It wont reduce in any meaningful way and there wont be any govt policy to reduce it, especially working folks moving here from the EU etc. And thank the lord for that.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I do have stock in construction, so looking forward to the gains.

Yawn. Im bored of your school boy thinking.

As I say, come back to us when an irish govt announces they are stopping migration and economic growth.

Ohh you just wait until 2025...you aint seen nothing yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you get a tenner every time you post the word 'narrative' or something?

The only people I see use that word as much as you do are conspiracy theorists and those who have a problem with 'mainstream media'.

High house prices are indeed a phenomena you see in many other countries, it's not unique to us or our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Very interesting map showing prices that. I see it says in Havana, Cuba, a house is only €40,500.

That got me thinking. Could we not outsource some people here to the sun, get them working remotely and it would help with our housing crises? Our President Michael D Higgins could even buy half a dozen houses there with his years salary and pensions ( almost 400k?) and rent from his property in Galway (it was reported in Nov. 2022 that "Mr. Higgins owns a few properties in Ireland including until recently two homes in Galway worth over an estimated €1 million combined" ), and still have plenty left over? We have a lot in common with Cuba, why are they so cheap. President Higgins has visited there. He praised Cuba’s literacy rates, health service and economic growth, adding Castro was “a giant among global leaders whose view was not only one of freedom for his people but for all of the oppressed and excluded peoples on the planet’’.

Or else get a few ships (our navy probably has some under-utilised ones as they are thought to only have one at sea at any one time) and import some materials and Cubans to build some houses in the Blaskets or someplace for refugees who come here, freeing up housing for Irish people?

If we want to solve this housing crises we have to think outside the box. I am surprised MLMD or MDH has not suggested it already.

Advertisement