Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

This is where you're "hopefully" not been smart saying that, am not and many in the center and center left in politics(that I know have concerns about this) have no confidence on the government speeding up the process. It's ongoing for decades this broken AS system!

When 60% of failed for AS/IP in the thousands are asked to self deport are giving a letter to do so, where and how can our gardai deal with enforcing this. When you allow many people seeking asylum over 60% failed and place these people on their own accord it's there to be exploited. I'd rather a fast track system of centers guarded, with accommodation food and supports that can keep track of every AS/IP applicable then either Yes or No for successful application.

We're so soft at the moment giving people under application for AS/IP to roam around and bingo after months or years sending letters for deportation, Oops where are they ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A growing population.....the population will inevitably get bigger any time there is no recession and the country is at full employment (less people leaving and more people arriving). It happened during the Celtic Tiger years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Oh right, so even when there are new processes out in place, you're not happy. I'm not sure what you want then?

As for guarded centres? These people are not prisoners, nor should they be treated as such. The IPO has addresses for all applicants. There is no imprisonment without legal reason( charge or conviction of a crime) in this country, nor should there be, unless you're in favour of internment.

Post edited by suvigirl on

For the people in the county. And don't start with the 'immigration inflated population ' stuff.

1 million foreign born in this country, 1.5 million Irish born living overseas. If they built enough for our own Irish born population, there wouldn't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It would help if they actually built some social homes and mixed developments.

Doesnt seem that the govt has any appetite for that though, sadly.

• Advertisement

35k homes will be built this year. Thats equal to building the entire housing stock of Galway City in 12 months.

Almost the same number were built last year.

If there were no investors, there would be no new homes.

The investors are the only show in town and the only reason we are imcreasing our housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"Oh right, so even when there are new processes out in place, you're not happy. I'm not sure what you want then?"

I've no problem with controlled migration, the IPA15 in my opinion is outdated. We're getting many asylums for example from Georgia, Tunisia and even Turkey looking for AS/IP when these are safe countries but its taken Helen Mc to only recently to amend the IPA15 to add countries that are actually safe meaning a larger amount of failed AS/IPS coming here.

Hence people arriving here when failed AS/IP are roaming around without any idea where they are with no enforcement on self deportation.

"As for guarded centres? These people are not prisoners, nor should they be tested as such. The IPO has addresses for all applicants. There is no imprisonment without legal reason( charge or conviction of a crime) in this country, nor should there be, unless you're in favour of internment."

People arriving here seeking AS/IP aren't criminals I've never once said that as you mention "prisoners". I've mentioned Asylum centers where people that are arriving seeking AS/IPA are processed (especially without ID and or Documents ) within reasonable time are either (A) accepted and helped as according (B) sent back to the origin country you traveled from hence deters the 60% from coming here.

But this isn't happening, everyone coming in either accepted as a AS/IP or not is here. The failed 60% that aren't successful are asked to self deport which is a failure on our asylum system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

For double the migration next year dont you know🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's a great point. If they ever did manage to build enough houses, (which will always be a moving target), the NGOs and government lackey's will just fill them up with more Refugee/AS. Hence we are in a crisis loop, or doom loop.

• Advertisement

'Controlled migration' just in respect to asylum claims? Because we have completely uncontrolled migration from the UK and the EU. We also cannot control who chooses to leave.

asylum claims are also admitted by persons from 'safe countries ' I believe they process them within a few months, but there is nothing to stop any of those people from making claims.

If you don't think they are criminals then why would you suggest putting them in 'guarded centres '? Most IPA centres have security as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The thing is though, centres are likely to become a reality (eventually) in my opinion but you need to be prepared for the fact that they don't really work in deterring asylum seekers or preventing rejected or unapproved applicants from entering the community with leave to remain in circumstances where their removal is not achieved. Stats from similar centres in the UK show this — and there has been a reasonable uptick in people being granted leave to remain from those centres (a result of the general spike in asylum seekers post Ukraine War and Covid shutdown).

The usefulness of these centres is more just having dedicated spaces to house asylum seekers, so there's an efficiency benefit for sure. But you need to be realistic about their usefulness as launchpads for removals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ye can whinge about housing policy all ye want, but the reality is there isn't a hope of a Government being able to sort out the Irish housing market with the current immigration policies.

And it's not down to illegal immigration or asylum seekers.

Ireland has a pretty small population and a lot of the time has a very strong economy. As a result it's an attractive place for people from Eastern Europe to work. So when times are good here hundreds of thousands of them come over, leading to shortages of housing. When times are bad a lot of them will have few ties and are likely to leave, so property crashes are fairly likely whenever the wider economy is weak.

Again, this is very basic stuff, but some people would call you a racist for saying it.

A country like Ireland could do with arrangements like you get in the States with the green card lottery or like the arrangement for young Irish people going to Canada. Unfortunately this limitless immigration from far larger countries is a disaster for the possibility of long term planning.

The fact that most Eastern Europeans are excellent workers and certainly won't cause trouble is indisputable, but somewhat beside the point when it comes to housing.

I'm not sure anyone would call that racist? It's obvious when things are good in a country that inward migration increases. It's obvious that all immigrants put pressure on services.

It's also obvious that successive governments have been useless at managing this country.

But can you see the problem inherent in your post vs your last paragraph?

The thing is that immigration doesn't all just come down to policy — it's also about demand. Policy is the means by which it is administered and policy is driven by the State, but it's demand that sets the bar for opportunity and demand is driven by industry and economic ebbs and flows. Flexible workforces coming and going (as you say) has its downsides, but it also has its upsides for a relatively isolated economy on the edge of Europe to have easy access to human resources.

So bringing in the policy changes you refer to won't necessarily change the demand — and so the workers you refer to in your post are likely to meet the new requirements anyway. So all that's been achieved is more paperwork, more bureaucracy, for a minimal result. You only have to look at Brexit and how the downturn in EU migrants entering the UK has now been compensated (and more) by record high levels of non-EU migrants entering.

But the point is that it is impossible to plan effectively when you have no idea how many migrants will arrive. It's a bananas system really. It's utopian, it'd be fantastic if it worked, but if it did it'd be by chance.

Yes, there is no way to know how many will arrive, I have no idea how we could, what would you suggest? Because really the only thing I can think of us leaving the EU and backing out of the CTA, can't imagine either of those being popular.

Not to mention that Britain made a big song and dance about leaving the EU, to 'solve ' their immigration problems, it hasn't worked.

It is exceptionally difficult, that is for sure. I don't think leaving the EU is an option. I would suggest Ireland should be lobbying very hard internally for reform. The case is very strong. I suspect other countries that are experiencing their own problems with migration might be more sympathetic than they would have been previously. We are EU members, we have a right to at least influence EU policy rather than meekly accepting aspects of it that have made adequate planning for our future impossible.

If you accept the Government aren't in control of immigration and that there is a high level of immigration, I don't see how you can blame them for a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Government caused the worse recession ever.

Government caused the worst Austerity ever.

Government caused the worst housing crisis ever.

I have every faith this government will cause the worst refugee crisis ever and like the great recession the ramifications will be felt 20 years from now.

I'd argue we're even doing it worse then the Scandinavian countries did. We seem to be taking in a higher rate than Sweden ever did and the success rate for applications is off the charts. Considering how many non Ukrainians are dumping their passports it would really make you wonder.

Well, I can blame them for a housing crisis that they created, and started to create many years before inward migration was an issue.

There are a lot of factors in the housing crisis and how it began, immigration is well down the list. I'm not saying this video explains everything, but I found it interesting.

• Advertisement

Is anyone on here ever going to acknowledge the exceptional nature of the circumstances in which this spike in refugees has taken place?

Ffs, you'd think that the Irish government just decided one day that refugee policy was going to be changed and this was all the subject of careful deliberate thought. That's the way people go on here — that Ireland just completely out of the blue decided for no apparent reason that it was just going to pursue a policy of taking in 100,000 refugees a pop forevermore.

For the millionth time — the Ukraine conflict led to the largest displacement of people in Europe since the Second World War. That is the scale of what we are talking about here. 6 million people dispersing suddenly across Europe on top of the warp that was already inevitable after the reopening of travel after Covid lockdowns. Even Denmark took in 30,000 people — a country that purports to have a zero refugee policy. Stop acting like there is no context to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

So during a time we take in an enormous amount from a war in Ukraine we have an insanely high acceptance rate for everyone else including lads from Georgia, Algeria etc? Not to mention those coming in pretending to be Ukrainian. There's a reason they all rip their passports up and throw them away.

I thought we didn't have a high acceptance rate? Were posters here not pointing out that 60% of asylum seekers do not reach the requirements for leave to remain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement