Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I fear the only way this war ends is if Trump get in, war will then be over, if Putin fails to stop, Trump did say he'd arm Ukraine to the teeth, so it's walk out of Ukraine Putin, or I'll drag you out like a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I don't think Ukraine will suffer a total loss. They'll keep falling back while hurting the Russians over a few years at worst until they hit the Dnipro. The Russians would have no chance of crossing so would have to restart a northern offensive.

Considering how much distance to the Dnipro even without American support I have my doubts would Russia even make it. And thankfully it would be Trump's last term so the next election Ukraine could win back favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Why kill Navalny now? Olga Chyzh a professor in the Department of Political Science at the University of Toronto thinks she know why.

"He is clearing the decks. He wishes to commit fully to what he really wants: finally taking Ukraine.

He is growing impatient of waiting – for western support to dwindle, and for more favourable political forces to take power in Europe and the United States. He needs his hands untied, so he can do what it takes: declare total mobilisation, further ramp up military production, even at the price of an economic contraction and the risk of renewed domestic opposition. When he does so, he doesn’t want charismatic leaders such as Navalny dampening his political support at home, even in a limited way.

A bold move such as getting rid of a key political opponent might not make sense if Putin simply wanted to continue with business as usual after an election whose outcome is already guaranteed. It makes more sense if Putin is preparing to take a new, more politically fraught course. In that case, he would want to leave nothing to chance. Whatever he has planned, with Navalny dead, even the slim possibility of political resistance within Russia is likely now extinguished.

This suggests that any potential for change in Russia now hinges on external influences. Ironically, Russia’s greatest hope for a liberal future is Ukraine. For the west, the death of Navalny might be the last wake-up call before it is too late. The time to support Ukraine is running out. Amid debates in US Congress over the latest aid package and the EU’s hesitation in prioritising its own military industrial production, Putin is devising his most ominous scheme yet. The west must brace itself for a post-election Putin, an unrestrained despot determined to achieve his objectives at any cost."

Interesting point in video, that the West recognizing Putin, is what is giving Putin legitimacy amongst the Russian people, and that for years, through many fake elections he has been recognized and allowed to act as President globally by the West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Putin is worried that calling total conscription could make him lose his 25 year stranglehold on power, wouldn't it be pretty much as politically perilous to call it after the election? It doesn't sound like an election issue like taxes, but like something that could upend Russian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I suppose if for arguments sake he says comes out with 95% votes for him and then he can go around and declare full mobilisation and state 95% of the people are with me and want me to do this. Probably feels at the beginning of his re-election he is at his most powerful and can get away with anything then (he is anyway but I say more so he can then) , also probably shows to the west, hey look I'm here the next 6 years and this is 6 years more that I will continue on in Ukraine. Are you the West when I ramp up everything more to take Ukraine after I win this election willing to go all out for the next 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If the elections are rigged like we’re told why would he need to wait or why would he be worried he will lose??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It's a tinderpot , remember the march to Moscow,he needs to consolidate his situation or risk a revolt by the people and the army.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, to have a repeat of that Crossfire episode: because plus ça change it seems in American satire, John Stewart took down Tucker Carlson's toadying interview and stage-managed "look how normal and amazing Russia is!" segment. Crazy to see the two faces beside each other: there's only 7 years separating them.

And Stewart cuts to the quick, after some solid burns, as to why Carlson took the soup to puff up Putin's dictatorial tendancies.

The question is why, why is Tucker doing this? Here's why. It's because the old civilisational battle was communism versus capitalism, that's what drove the world since WW2. Russia was the enemy then. But now, they think the battle is woke versus unwoke. And in that fight, Putin is an ally to the right. He's their friend. Unfortunately, he is also a brutal and ruthless dictator; so now they have to make Americans a little comfortable with that. I mean liberty is nice, but have you see Russia's shopping carts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

WTF! Trump never said that, if he got back in he'd cut all funding to Ukraine and get them to concede all Russian seized land to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Are you suggesting that the Russian elections are not rigged?

Or are you "just asking questions"?

I don't want to be speak for everyone on the West, but I thought the sense here was that he intends to hang on to power until he's dead. If that's the case, I don't think he needs to show the West that, especially as there seems to also be a widespread assumption that Russian presidential elections are a bit of a sham, made all the more so with Navalny dead and Kara Murza in prison.

He has hesitated to announce full mobilisation for two years. I cannot say he won't in future, but I don't think it's an election thing. He must know on some level what revolt that could bring, and of the decentralised kind where mobs are burning recruitment offices out in the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The same Trump who was holding up arms to Ukraine for political gain?

The same Trump who has his pathetic stooges in Congress holding up arms to Ukraine?

But sure, believe some lies he says in a speech over his actual actions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Saw that in the guardian. A lot of speculation, maybe she's right, maybe not. In the early months of the war there were constant rumours of mass mobilization and it never happened. I'd be surprised if it happens soon after the election, we'll soon see

This is by far the more likely scenario.

He still hasn't condemned Putin for Navalny, only mentioned the killing to compare it to his own persecution in the US. The man cares about nothing and no-one apart from himself and his power and self-aggrandisement. Ukraine matters zilch to him

Another day, another report of Russian war crimes

Also the man who said [NATO allies potentially being attacked] - "You didn't pay, you delinquent? No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want!"

Whatever about NATO allies paying their agreed amount of GDP, but the tag at the end is very worrying. It'd be bad enough of a thought said in a private meeting of leaders, but to put it out there is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No not at all, please don’t mix me up with a Russian bot apologist.

I am more emphasising the point that Putin is going nowhere regardless of whether the people of Russia ever do turn on him so I doubt he cares about victories before an election etc as he will never hold a legitimate one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I find it saddening amongst aquantances and others here in Ireland during discussions re Russia invasion of Ukraine how sort of indifferent, disinterested they are about it. It seems to be a distance thing. We are far away over here, an Island off the west coast of Europe .. shur why would anybody attack us and shur we are neutral. It will never effect us.

I find it incredible actually. Seems to be far more interest in whats happening in Gazza vs a war raging on our continent. A large disconnect. A few do ask - Oh yeah the war in Ukraine, when will it be over and when will the Ukrainians here go home?

All are unaware of whats going on on the ground and the difficulties that now are happening re arming Ukraine + Russian advances though small. They just never seem to have understood the huge real danger in all of this for all of us inc Ireland and not just Ukraine. And how fast this could unravel, especially in 2024/25

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah the notion that this guy would then start giving Ukraine lots of arms is a big lie, just fake news to dupe people who want to be lied to.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Lets go slightly down the rabbit hole. I previously mentioned delays with F16s and the like, asking why. Then we have the hold ups in the USA. Now here is another albeit smaller delay example:

"The delivery of 100 Bulgarian armored personnel carriers to Ukraine has been delayed as the Bulgarian Defense Ministry asks NATO to cover the transport costs, Euractiv reported on Feb. 20, citing Bulgarian lawmakers and officials."

Part of me is entertaining that there are forces in the background in the WEST, EU and NATO etc that actually want UKRAINE to fail and for Russia to win the day? I have been in discussions with some where the attitude is, Ukraine cannot win this war, Russia is the superpower here, too big to fail. And in certain corridors in Europe some may want Ukraine to fail, russia to win as it may hold off Russia attack on Europe "Proper" for another good while ( Appease )

Anyway there is your rabbit in the hole ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think they're afraid of "what happens next" if Russia does lose, a fractured Russia led by different factions (warlords?) Could be a very bad result for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They don't want Ukraine to fail they just want this war to drag out as long as possible. They'd rather Ukraine win after 6 year's of fighting instead of 3 as it inflicts way more damage on Russia and cripples them economically for longer.

Sad to say here but if the west we're really all in they're would be 100 more HIMARS, 200 Ukrainian pilot's already flying F35's, hundreds more artillery, Taurus, ATACMs, American attack heli's and a thousand of Abrams and Leopards.

Instead they'll drip feed weapons and the rate will depend on how well Ukraine is doing. At the very least with full support Ukraine would have retaken the south by now and cut off Crimea.

Irish people, particularly on the left, feel strongly about the Palestinian cause because of some simplistic idea that Palestine=Ireland and Israel=Great Britain.

Also it's still fresher. Ukraine is old news now, no longer a "sexy" story, despite all the suffering little has changed in the last year. Middle East will get stale too as soon as spring and good weather comes and people start planning their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

I feel sorry for this guy, but his behaviour after the defection was stupid. He should have stayed in Ukraine, or else severed all contacts which could have used to find him and hid in the US or somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement