Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I definitely remember typing that I'd like to see more of him at the start of the year so it seems harsh to deny him that, but in any event I fail to see how we go into next year with him as our starting 10. If we are moving on from Burns there has to be some sort of a plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Burns hasn't been announced as leaving. So maybe it's only rumors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

https://x.com/viaplaysportsuk/status/1759265944742887768?s=46&t=auGURCGlLop9tLWNU8UEnQ

Some cop out. Would be pretty fuming with that interview if I was an Ulster supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

We needed the break to recoup after Harlequins...now we lost today because of the break...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think at this point every single coach needs moved on.

I'd keep the following players

Kitshoff, Warwick

Stewart, Herring

O'Toole, Wilson

Henderson, Izuchwukwu, Sheridan, O'Connor

McCann, Timoney, Marcus Rea, Refell, McNabney, Crothers, McLaughlin

Doak, Cooney

???

McCloskey, Postlethwaite, Marshall, Hume, Moore

Baloucoune, McIlroy, Stockdale (just)

Lowry

Promote the likes of Joe Hopes and Lukas Kenny amd hope the next batch of Academy players are decent.

Sign a 10, possibly two and a back row forward.

I'd make McCann captain.

Bring in a brand new coaching set up from top to bottom. Maybe keep Soper on in some capacity but that would be it.

Basically Ulster 2.0 or whatever cool name you want to give it.

Realistically a 35 man squad isn't big enough. But there needs to be a clear out of real significance.

Root and branch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Kitshoff contracted unit 2026. I didnt think he performed well at the WC. Has he been playing well for Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He hasn't really been too impressive from what I've seen. Somewhat playing down to the level he is surrounded by. He had one or two good performances shortly after arriving but has been part of a largely dominated scrum. He really isn't having the influence that someone of his ability and price tag should be, for me.

In 30 minutes yesterday, he touched the ball once in attack. Stewart got his hands on the ball 7 times in roughly the same time (granted several of those were in mauls). But it's a trend generally with TOT and Stewart getting on the ball more than him in attack and making more tackles in defence over most games.

I didn't see the game yest. Connacht game broke my will to endure another inept performance that I thought Ulster may deliver.

it's broken is'nt it?

My own observation watching Kitshoff during the WC was that they have signed a guy who is played out.

For a rebuild he prob should also go considering his age and big salary. Replaced with who..i dont know.

Frawley (26) would be a good move for both Province and player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

I'd guess that Kitshoff is just flogged after two back to back seasons of rugby. His game has always been based on workrate and intensity so that will take a lot out of him. He'll have played 65+ minutes per game for the Stormers right through to the URC final, then the rugby championship, the RWC warmups, and the RWC up to the final. That's before you throw in the intensity of South African training camps. Some recovery time this Summer and a proper pre-seasons and Ulster might have a completely different player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I never really saw Kitshoff as an all-action kind of player, he didn't really need to be a big carrier given who he had around him in SA. I was pleased with him signing because he should have been able to bring defence and shore up the scrum, but the scrum is the same as it's always been. I would agree that he's probably not the best signing now because of his salary compared to our financial shape, but quite frankly he's the least of my worries given how extensive our rebuild probably needs to be. Our team isn't going to be fixed in a year and is likely going to be a piecemeal process over several seasons, so having him around should be fine as long as he hasn't completely hamstrung us financially.

All part of the Ersamus plan bru!

Lets use the IRFU (again). They can train up and rest up the bros...and of course pay them the 'big bucks'!

Remember old Bigbok? He must be loving life these days!

TBH that's why I was sure Ireland would beat them and They couldn't win the WC! Too much rugby and travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

How much did the IRFU pay the SRU to have McFarland released early from his contract? And how much would it cost them to terminate his contract now?

Add those two figures together and you'll soon see that he's there until his contract runs out in June 2025!

Post edited by StormForce13 on

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ShineyShiney

What's the story with Doak? He doesn't seem to be the player that was worth a 5 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has there ever been any mention of Brett Cannon as a potential 10? Not sure of his contract status but he's Irish qualified and played under age for Ireland. Losing every game with Newcastle can't be much fun. I would have thought being Irish qualified would make him more valuable to a province than he otherwise is to a team in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Time for McFarland to go. I don't really care how much it costs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Except he'll spend the summer playing for South Africa in the Rugby Championship so he won't have much time off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

Having checked the fixture list, you're right. He might get lots of minutes across the two games v. Ireland too. Unless Rassie has a plan to rest him and get him back to his best Ulster are pretty much at the mercy of SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hope you're right but when we look at Kitshoff, Vermeulen, Sutherland, Carter and JTA....I'm not sure the issue is tiredness or the quality of the player (willing to make an exception for Carter). JTA was a bizarre one. Seemed to be totally frozen out in Ulster for a couple of months after his debut with Gareth Milasinovich getting time ahead of him. Then looked great when he was brought back in and then tailed off again a bit.

I think Coetzee was the last significant signing who really consistently stepped up and delivered and even he went off the boil after a brilliant start once fit and pulled a bit of a sneaky move with an early release to rehab back in SA and magically playing for the Bulls in the Rainbow Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I'll say it again....... At what point do the losses incurred in-season outweigh the losses from terminating the Coaching teams contracts.

It may just be MacFarland. He's been a poor head coach for quite a while. His options for employment does not look good considering the abject job he's doing in Belfast. If I was the union/ Ulster, I'd send him packing after the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Whether Ulster sack him or not, they still pay out. Keeping him on spreads the payments but also incurs further damage.

Ulster should be telling him if he agrees to a mutual termination then he will leave on good terms. If not, he's booted out on bad terms which will seriously hinder his chances of getting another high profile coaching job.

I can't understand why he'd want another year at Ulster, it'd surely be the end of his coaching career.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any future employer can see what he's (not) doing at Ulster. They don't need a letter of recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Why won't the IRFU pay to get rid of McFarland? He's doing no favours for Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Apparently he has been sacked this evening.

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I didn't expect it to happen mid season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Time for a new reign of terror.

McFarland sealed the immediacy of his fate with that Ospreys interview I would say, and how angry it made the vast majority of Ulster fan's, rather than being allowed to limp on to the end of the season.

All we can realistically achieve now is Champions Cup rugby for next season.

Advertisement