Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The dry cleaners that bought Edges Hardware opened up the back yard for customer parking. There are always cars parked in front of the entrance so you can’t use it. They’re making a lot of noise about it, hence the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Is there a revised completion date for this project?

It was originally supposed to take 21/24 months (Can't really remember)

Seems barely 50% completed.

The DCC website says Q2: https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/projects/clontarf-city-centre-project but that has definitely been changed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An officially updated date? No, last we heard unofficially is June, I think, a few posts above.

This project is over 80% complete. One entire side is almost completely open, and what remains of the other side is not the water pipes and their connections, but the public realm works, i.e. pavement and cycle track works, along with related services (traffic lights, etc)

June seems about right, one of the issues that has arisen again and again is unmapped/unknown services below the surface. Each time it happens, it all has to be mapped out and dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There still seems to be a lot of exposed pipes and nothing has been done to them though, over the bridge that goes over the canal for e.g. it looks like they've done nothing, also the whole length of the strip outside where fairview grill is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They are pushing for June the last time I spoke to someone involved. Marino Mart will be delayed after this was the current expectation.

I also understand that they want the area from the footbridge to Fairview Grill sorted in advance of the 8 concerts at Fairview Park, the matches in Croke Park and also the Bruce gigs in Croker. A push is on from the local businesses to achieve this after years of disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, they are still dealing with water pipes. There’s a picture in this thread from last week.

I believe there is public information saying Q2 as completion date. DCC engineer told me that was always the planned completion date. But I didn’t think that was the case.

Plenty of people deliberately spreading misinformation about the project though.

All the councillors will want their photo opportunities before the local elections in June.

Given how many cyclists fly past me on the footpaths on a daily basis, I very much doubt it.

Thankfully your views are in the minority as most people understand the value of mature trees and don’t want to see them chopped down so people can get to their workplace 3 minutes quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was just in Westwood. Gardaí trying to stop motorists hogging the footpath and bus lane, I think. They were ticketing people yesterday too. Someone must be putting pressure on them to deal with people in cars doing stupid sh*t.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

As a famous TV character used to say, “I DON’T BELIEVE IT”

I would love to see the back of these works by June but there is zero chance that happens. The inbound still isn't finished after a year of faffing about and the outbound is still many months away. That's before we even consider the fact they have to relay a rather long section of road with its final surface. My own take is that it will be more than likely late Q3, early Q4 before it's actually fully complete and that's if they don't slow down even more than they have recently.

What was the originally stated end point for the road works? There’s zero communication with residents and parts of the road fenced off and left that way for months. Will they be fined for over-runs? The whole process seems incredibly inept.

Considering the awful state they’ve been allowed leave the road in, I don’t think DCC will be too bothered about delays or fines.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I recall September 2023 as the original planned finish date, but not 100% on that.

The only thing I’ll say is that when they get the pipe work sorted, they can move fast to tidy the top street scape up. It’s the underground work that is so painfully slow.

No point in relaying the road until all the machinery is done working in the area. That could be done over a few nights.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycled inbound today around 10.30am, what a huge difference to when I use to commute to the city centre in the "bus lane". It is a fantastic resource, and will surely encourage more to cycle into the city.

Westwood was poor as expected, 2 cars blocking the bus lane that I had to manoeuvre around. The amount of signs on the Westwood walls outbound as you exit Fairview Park warning to beware vehicles is strange. Pity they can't put such effort into actually resolving the issue. Although there is a sign in front of the main Westwood car park informing motorists they can use the overflow car park only 150m away.

Outbound looks like a disaster, avoided it and used Ossory Road and Fairview Park instead, as I was with the missus who isn't confident on the roads. She loved the inbound spin though.

I don't think anyone is suggesting relaying it now but there have to be at least a minimum standard that they should have to keep it in. Remember, this isn't a short term issue. The road has been in an awful state for 12/18 months at this stage.

Such a terrible waste of Garda resources. REALLY grinds my gears. All down to bad planning.

Solution is to close Westwood I'd say. People's habits won't change. If they cannot drive there they just won't use it. I'd say most locals would be delighted to see the back of it to be honest. I know there's another car park around the corner, don't get why people wont use that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know there's another car park around the corner, don't get why people wont use that.

Because on the whole, we've turned into a nation of lazy entitled gits!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't agree it is a waste of resources. The Gardai are rarely seen enforcing anything. At least when they are dealing with nonsense like this it reminds people that there are still laws in the country which is something that is getting forgotten the longer that nothing is enforced.

Hopefully it was cost neutral aswell and they issued a good few fines.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Council said there's nothing else they can do with the spot, so are going to give them another lease to use it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, some councillors wanted them to take back the site for housing, but the council looked at it and said that it was not an appropriate site. Having no other real option, they leased it back to Westwood. This Car Park was for members only, but the barrier has been up the last few weeks, so I think that they are trying to solve this issue.

They've even sent out a text to members with a survey about it, but it's one of the stupidest surveys going, almost as bad as the OPW one about parking in Phoenix Park. It's billed as improving parking and access to the club, but there's only three questions:

How often do you use West Wood Clontarf?

Which mode of transport do you primarily use to get to Clontarf?

Which West Wood Clontarf facilities have you used in the last 3 months?

If you can tell me how that survey could be used to improve parking and access, I'd be very impressed. No mention of better bike parking facilities, no mention of improved pedestrian access. Cynical me thinks that it's an attempt to get survey results that show that car usage is the predominate method of travel, and to use that as a shield. "You can't take away parking when XX% get here by car, etc"

Yeah, I thought it was a bit lazy on the part of DCC. Plenty of developers work with sites that are more constrained than that.

I got that Westwood survey. It's a joke alright.

Yeah, I think that they said it was too close to the railway tracks, which seems a bit mental. I would have thought that was a positive, and even across the road there's a house that'd be closer to it.

Personally, I think that the council didn't want to deprive themselves of a fair chunk of easy, steady income. I was somewhat surprised that the councillors let it go as easy as they did.

Bit of a joke really.

That is a bit crap.

Best thing to do would be to either:

1: Force parking in the overflow by not allowing people to park in the main carpark, but I feel you might just be moving the issue somewhere else.

2: Create new carpark around the corner with the entrance on the Alfie Byrne Road (Between Clasac and the Pitches). Carpark being to far away means Westwood might lose customers

3: Demolish part of the Club to make way for a car park (Barcode, Some of the Tennis Courts)

4: Move the entire Westwood club to somewhere more appropriate

• Advertisement

5: Take over some of Fairview Park, to increase car park size. 😂

Regarding point 2, is that not where the new fire station is going to be built?

Advertisement