Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think the longevity of a war in an over consumption of the current media age tends to dull people to these conflicts. Personally, I'm constantly horrified by the war and how people shout Russian propaganda from the rooftops but equally, I have to dull my senses somewhat cause it's a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is there any logic to thinking that Putin has convinced countries to scale back support or he'll cripple infrastructure by snapping the sea cables or anything like that? He has a hold of some sort over many countries, including our own here with the 15 staff still in Orwell road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't see the train of logic, there. How would Russia winning in Ukraine hold an attack off on Europe 'proper' (Ukraine is as much a European country as Switzerland is)?

Surely it would be better for Russia to be defeated in Ukraine. If Russia is defeated in Ukraine, they aren't going to have the motivation or materials to attack anywhere else in Europe. I'm struggling to think of examples where a country loses a war and then immediately starts another one out of a desire for revenge (?). Losing a war usually comes out of the rising impossibility of continuing to fight it, so Russia losing in Ukraine would be the best method of ensuring they cannot attack elsewhere in Europe for a few years at least.

There might be those around Europe who want Russia to win because they very much aspire to Russia's style of government, but there are other more benign political influences which can stymy aid to Ukraine including concerns about being able to effectively patrol their own borders.

We in Europe are learning, once again, that long periods of peace do not make readiness or willingness for war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Putin had any hold over the EU in terms of infrastructure, it must surely have been strongest via the gas pipelines that had been supplying much of Europe's heating. Seemed like that gabmle didn't work and the EU supported Ukraine regardless - so can't imagine what other card he'd have to play that would be as strong as the gas was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Given that Ireland doesn’t really contribute anything of note to Ukraine’s war effort (other than housing refugees) I don’t think people can be too severe on the contributions or lack thereof of other European nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

In what sense was it stupid? He was living under a false name with a new passport in Spain, what else was he supposed to do? One of well over a million Ukrainian refugees in the EU. I'm sure he knew he was a marked man but unless he was posting stuff about himself online I can't see how he could have done much more to protect himself.

What I wonder is how are Russia secret service agents still wandering freely around Europe murdering people at will? Who's letting them in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Few thoughts occur:

1. Interesting to see a few of those drones warning of "low battery", so they're clearly operating on the ragged edge of their range.
    2. You'd wonder why there are no apparent anti-drone defences in those areas considering that was a warehouse full of equipment, and they just sauntered in to give 'em all a big hug. Surely they'd have spotters posted at a minimum?
    3. I'm kinda sick of hearing "zombie" used everywhere these days, though at least here it's vaguely relevant and not, inexplicably, belted out after a try at Ireland rugby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have seen rumors that the guy contacted his ex-girlfriend and that's how he was de-anonymized.

We (EU/UK) are at war with Russia, whether we want to admit it or not. Russia wages a special operation in Europe. They hack computer networks, pay huge bribes to European politicians, gather incriminating materials (kompromat) on EU politicians, and let us not forget, assassinate enemies of Putin abroad with virtual impunity. So far, they kill mostly Russian defectors, but there is nothing stopping them from taking a family of, say, the Finnish prime minister, hostage to force him to do something.

You are asking how? The EU is a peacenick paradise, a Russian saboteur can avoid capture by stepping over an EU state border. Unless there is an EU taskforce already assembled, the security is on a national level. Besides, any Russian citizen can freely get a visa to visit touristic sites in Madrid and go on a killing spree, if they feel like it, there is nothing to stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

More ammo please

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

A fractured Russia means a lot of infighting and civil wars - let them kill each other instead of Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And you think that will only stay within Russian borders?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

By and large, and for the time being, yes. The federation members have more beef with each other than they do with Ukraine or the Baltic countries.

Oh I would happily see Putin die tomorrow and peace in the region, my point is Russia is MASSIVE! If you have 10 or 8 or even 5 different factions you also have to remember that this factions will have access to nukes, fallout goes where the weather takes it and doesn't respect borders.

1. I never said nuke external countries.

2. It wouldn't be one country anymore it would be broken up into different regions but possibly always at war with each other.

3. Warlords tend not to think that far ahead.

1. Easy to say when it's not going to happen in your back yard

2. Just what the world needs, more death.

3. What if thiers no warlords, just another Putin 2.0 or worse a couple of Putin wannabes who control the country.

Hopefully Ukraine will hold, Russians finally get rid of Putin and someone more moderate tales over, fùck going back to the cold War days.

You seem to think I have some sort of liking for Putin or support Russias actions, I can assure you I don't,I'm just spitballing the potential future of the region and wondering "what if".

Not sure what this is supposed to mean

I get it that you don’t like Putin 😉

If you can find a single post of mine praising or supporting Putin I'll happily donate £1000 to the charity of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

It would be a calculated risk but one that he will have no choice in. For all the comments about a 140 million population in Russia, he's currently (and has been for quite a while) suffering from a military manpower shortage. Like Zelensky travelling around the world looking for support in weapons and cash, Putin has been travelling around the world too, looking not only for weapons, but manpower as well. Nepal recently issued a demand to Putin that all Nepalese soldiers that are currently fighting (and dying) in Ukraine be returned to Nepal. And Putin also recently upped the military service age from 51 to 65 contract soldiers, and to 70 for officers. Zelensky is having problems, for sure, but so is Putin.

• Advertisement

Putin is a gangster and has driven a coach and four through the Russian Constitution, but even so, he will have to maintain a veneer of legitimacy to be considered as the right full president of Russia, and this means that he has to hold elections. With out the election (even if it's only a figment) he has absolutely no legitimacy whatsoever, even in Russia, never mind the West.

I think that Putin has moved heaven and earth to find and kill this guy, in order to send out the signal to any other military officers thinking about doing the same thing, we will track you down no matter where you run to or hide, and we'll kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

So twitter suspended Navalnys widow account for 1 hour and reinstated it. Didn’t state why it was suspended. A bit of a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement