Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

which won't happen if israel secures it's borders properly.

just like the original october 7th attack wouldn't have happened had israel secured it's bordders.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or not funded or enabled funding of Hamas for years despite clear indicators and warnings. Almost like - ghasp, Likud has been using Hamas as their political scapegoat for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

When they tell you that the IDF are "the most moral army in the world"

When they tell you the IDF do their best not to hurt innocent civilians.

When they claim the IDF does not commit war crimes

Show them this video and ask them why?

An unarmed man walks away from IDF soldiers, he clearly has his hands in the air and is no threat to them.

They shoot him in the back

It's genocide!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is israels problem. They're the ones dropping the bombs. they have a duty to make sure civilians aren't harmed. failure to do so is a war crime.

And if israel blocks the arrival of food, knowing it will hurt Palestinian civilians, then that is a war crime.

And if it's "not israels problem" and even if it's entirely legal, then that doesn't remove the moral problems with it. They are starving millions of civilians with in an effort to hurt Hamas. They are dropping bombs on people in an effort to kill fighters who might be there. That's literally murderous behavior. They are scum and no better than Hamas who targets civilians. And any person with a moral compass should oppose it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People are not supporting Hamas. You can be against Hamas while still highlighting just how fully out of order Israel is and has been for months now.

You could say what you are saying about Hamas about Israel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Again you repeat this, when people show up here on an Irish message board saying they'd go enlist with Hamas, saying they'd bomb Israel. Stop denying people are supporting Hamas. They are.

I don't think you're supporting Hamas, nor the vast majority of posters here. The number supporting Hamas is non-zero however, and this is in the geopolitically minor leagues of Ireland. Useful idiots is what the Hamas supporters here and elsewhere are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭dmcdona

There was one person suggest they might. That was months ago.

If that's the foundation for whatever validation/justification you're making, it's very weak.

There is no support for Hamas - just horror and disgust at Israel's continuing genocide.

At least 2 I can recall.

I'm questioning the narrative "There's no support for Hamas." Not justifying anything - support for Hamas in any form is not justifiable, as I'm sure you agree.

We've also had people say Palestinians should be ethnically cleansed from Gaza and the innocent men, women and children deserve what happens to them because they don't overthrow Hamas, you get trolls/idiots on both sides of these debates.

• Advertisement

And we can say they exact same for Israel..people here are actively supporting the slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians and tying themselves in knots to absolve Israel of the crime which is a farce.

Maybe I should change that to no one posting here, seriously or regularly, is supporting Hamas. You have one, or 2 edge Lords with throwaway remarks and they're barely seen again, then you have a load of Israel WUMs too basically saying that every death is justified because of some warped logic

But again, like Mr odaly , right than focusing on the main spur of the point, you'd rather have well gotcha moment so deflection of the mass murder can continue

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

So - in your fairyland what happens next?

IDF ends hostilities tomorrow and retreats to Israel- what happens next after Hamas shoots a million rounds into the sky in victory?

Oh, I'm sure we'll hear about paying to rebuild Gaza and so forth; basically, urban renewal by Hamas /s

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Scenes of kids trying to scrape small handfuls of spilled flour mixed in the dirt and putting it into their pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Israeli assets around the world need to be frozen and then seized and sent to Palestinians. Same as in the analogous case of the Russians. And as bad as the Russian acts were, the Israeli ones really put them into the ha'penny place in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You keep saying that people are not supporting Hamas even after it's been pointed out to you more than once that some people have been doing exactly that.

Others are not supporting Hamas openly but are insisting that Israel has no right to defend itself against Hamas simply because Hamas uses its fellow Palestinians as shields for its soldiers.

Of course it is possible to be against Hamas while criticising Israel, but unless you have a plausible suggestion for how else Israel can act to prevent another Oct 7th, any insistence on a unilateral ceasefire is effectively support for Hamas.

Untrue - several posters expressed varying degrees of support for Hamas, and denied Israel's right to exist.

What they have is a duty to avoid civilian deaths whenever possible. Not an impossibility to conduct a legitimate military operation the minute any civilians might be put in danger. If you think that's wrong, BTW, then please do quote the line in the Geneva Convention or wherever that you think contradicts that.

Yes they have a moral responsibility too. I don't disagree there. However, as I've said before, Israel's first moral responsibility is to its own citizens. So until there's a feasible alternative to a military response to achieve the legitimate aim of removing Hamas from power in Gaza, I don't really see what else Israel is supposed to do.

As I recall, some posters suggested way back that they should continue their previous strategy of targeting and taking out Hamas members extrajudicially - but when they attacked alleged Hamas members in Iran or in the West Bank, the overwhelming response by the anti Israel posters on here was "What scumbags the Israelis are". So it seems that was not a genuine suggestion - and actually since it didn't prevent Oct 7th in the first place, the strategy has already shown its limits.

Israel declares that it is above internation law and can do whatever the hell it wants, its time for the international community start to impose serious sanctions against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

You're equating disapproval of Israeli methods as covertly supporting Hamas. Again.

No, I'm equating an insistence that Israel basically accept Hamas' continued attacks on Israeli civilians because Hamas cares less about Palestinian lives than Israel is meant to, with "covertly supporting Hamas".

That said, I'm sure many people here are genuinely well-intentioned on this - but unless they can tell us how Israel could prevent the future attacks that Hamas has promised to commit, other than by military attacks, I think they are as disastrously well-intentioned as was Neville Chamberlain in 1938.

Maybe not continue to escalate incidents against the Palestinians. Israel has done absolutely nothing to normalise relations with Palestine, actively hindering their economic prospects, personal freedom and settling on land against all international agreements. Does this justify what happened on October 7th? Of course not, that would be madness. Israel, however, had the opportunity to extend an olive branch and give Palestinians an alternative choice. One with dialogue and equality.

They chose to continually grind down a population creating more and more radicalised people as a result. Is it all Israels fault? No, the international community, in particular the US/UK/France/Germany should have been proactive DECADES ago to try and normalise things. The PLO made a complete balls of it too in 2006 through their own ineptitude and corruption resulting in Hamas getting a plurality.

Israel clearly has the upper hand here. They continue to chose the option of destruction, death, famine and purging the land of any and all Palestinians instead. History will not be kind to them.

"I stopped keeping track of how many new orphans I had operated on. After surgery they would be filed somewhere in the hospital, I’m unsure of who will take care of them or how they will survive. On one occasion, a handful of children, all about ages 5 to 8, were carried to the emergency room by their parents. All had single sniper shots to the head. These families were returning to their homes in Khan Yunis, about 2.5 miles away from the hospital, after Israeli tanks had withdrawn. But the snipers apparently stayed behind. None of these children survived."

Someone explain to me how this is acceptable. How the IDF do not need to be held to task for things like this.

What Hamas done, does not justify this.

"how Israel could prevent the future attacks that Hamas has promised to commit, other than by military attacks"

Ceasefire

Followed by genuine discussion as to how to create a 2 state solution, get the whole international community involved. Israel pulls back to its birders and that includes all illegal settlers, UN peacekeeping forces (if needed) and a massive international effort to rebuild Gaza/Palestine for the people.

Build an airport, fix up the harbours and allow Palestinians to build an economy where they can prosper by trading thier goods wherever and when ever they want instead of when Israel says so.

Let them have thier land, let them have their identity and let them have their dignity instead of another few decades of apartheid and murder/atrocities by both sides.

It's not something that can be fixed overnight but look what happened in NI, after so many years of peace and stability do you think the people of NI.would go back to the dark days of the 70's/80's?

Don't invoke NI. Apparently all you southern lot don't know anything about it.

I'm a Brit so apparently I know even less than you southerners :pac:

Israel can defend itself, it can't make refugees of 2 million people, killing 30,000 of them, seriously wounding at a minimum another 70,000, and leaving most of the population on the brink of starvation.

That is not defending themselves.

Illegally settling land is not defending themselves.

Bulldozing houses in the west bank is not not defending themselves.

Holding thousands of ordinary Palestinians from both west bank and gaza as prisoners for no reason is not defending itself.

They've been so Palestinians the thing they complain happens to them

That people can't see that Israel is also an aggressor. Israel has been playing it's part in attacking Palestinians for decades it's just tiresome at this stage. And it's not in the name of self defence. It's a twisted sort of manifest destiny. Probably why America is so behind them

And they haven't even tried to carry out this duty

• Advertisement

Advertisement