Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton Novel SR Silent Power Shower

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭John.G

Thanks, there must be a fair few times where these limits are exceeded by people with wet stoves where it wouldn't be that unusual for the DHW temp to exceed 60/65c a few times a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

John.G wrote: »
    Thanks, there must be a fair few times where these limits are exceeded by people with wet stoves where it wouldn't be that unusual for the DHW temp to exceed 60/65c a few times a year.
    You could always fit a mixing valve...if it did not also have a low limit :pac::pac::pac:

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Shandon

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Triton Novel SR Silent Power Shower is the replacement for the Triton AS2000XT. It is the first ever silent power shower. I thought I'd post a short video showing how silent it actually is. It uses the same type of motor from the Triton T90SR silent shower. The T90SR is out over Three years now & it's motor has proven to be the most reliable shower motor we have ever seen. After installing thousands of these I am genuinely stunned that there hasn't been a single issue with the motor. You would expect one in every hundred or so to act up in the first three years & this would be the case with all previous shower motors but not a single one has been reported to us.

The entire Triton AS2000XT has been improved. Not a single part from the AS200XT fits into the Triton Novel SR. This shower launched only a few weeks ago so it's too early to say how good or bad the design is but I can vouch for the motor. Maybe over time members will post their experience of the shower here. In the meantime see how quiet this shower really is.

Hi Sleeper

I've been given a quote of 925 to supply and install one of these where there is currently a non electric non power shower.

Is this a fair price?
    Do they use much electricity?
    Is there less flow during cold weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shandon wrote:
    Is this a fair price? Do they use much electricity? Is there less flow during cold weather?

The Triton Novel SR is a power shower so does not heat up the water. You should have around 14 litres of water per minute all year round. The motor is low voltage so the shower itself will use very little electricity. The cost will be in how you heat the water.

Prices vary throughout the country. In remote areas the plumber might have to travel 2 hours just to get to you. The lay out of the house can add to the price. If the shower is backing onto the hot press, then this can cut down on the price. In Dublin dedicated shower repair companies will offer this service for 750 supplied & fitted or less usually sending out a plumber & electrician.

I wouldn't like to say it's a high quote as your plumber has seen the house & I haven't. I'd suggest getting two more quotes but at the end of the day I'd rather pay more for the better tradesmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Hi I need to replace my AS 2000 with a Novel SR,,have been pricing and best price I can find is €247,supplied only.
    Does that seem to be the best price out there,thanks..

elaverty wrote:
    Hi I need to replace my AS 2000 with a Novel SR,,have been pricing and best price I can find is €247,supplied only. Does that seem to be the best price out there,thanks..

Yes. List price is 280 or 290. Many trade counters are charging 260 to 270. Just make sure it is the Irish version Triton Novel SR & not the UK model Triton As2000sr. The UK model has no Irish warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes. List price is 280 or 290. Many trade counters are charging 260 to 270. Just make sure it is the Irish version Triton Novel SR & not the UK model Triton As2000sr. The UK model has no Irish warranty
    Thanks hows this.

elaverty wrote:
    Thanks hows this.

That's the Novel SR alright. Can't see you getting it any cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nodrog2

Hi

Triton ax2000xt packed up today. Is the replacement for this model the as2000sr or the triton novel sr. Many thanks.

• Advertisement

The Triton AS200SR is the UK version. It's not supposed to be sold in Ireland & has no warranty in Ireland. The Irish version is the Triton Novel SR. This has a 2 years parts & labour warranty. It's a better looking shower to IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all looking for some help I have a 18mth old novel sr shower has been great up until tonight when in the middle of a shower the water just cut out but the motor can be heard running. I let the shower cool down and tried it again but still no water coming out but motor can be heard running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you have gotten to the bottom of it by now but I thought I'd post for future readers.

Very slim chance you are running out of water in the attic tank. Much more likely that the solenoid coil is faulty. They can fail in two ways. They can be totally dead & not open at all or they can open & then overheat & shut off. They cool & will open again. It's in the 2 year warranty so I assume Triton replaced the solenoid free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I just had the AS2000XT replaced with the Novel SR and it amazed me how quiet it is.

On a separate note the installer had planned to go for a 2000SR but Triton said they were not sold here as they couldn't offer warranty here. A local shop has one in the window so I wonder how that would work.

The local shop bought the AS2000SR directly from the UK. It is only for the UK market and only has a warranty in the UK. The Triton Novel SR is only for the Irish market. It has no warranty in the UK.

How does that work? Is the local shop allowed to sell it with no warranty?

• Advertisement

Screwfix do it all the time. So do B&Q. With Screwfix you have to pay someone to remove the shower and send it back to them for repair. You then have to pay to get it installed again. They will do this for 12 months. Some showers or pumps they sell would have a 5 year parts & labour warranty if they bought through the Irish agent but Screwfix only cover it for 12 months. Some of the UK models sold here by Screwfix aren't sold at all by Triton Ireland. So even if it breaks out of the 12 months Screwfix or Amazon offers Triton Ireland don't stock parts for showers they don't sell in Ireland. Usually its cheaper to bin them even after 13 months than to try repair.

The small local shop usually say nothing to do with me & you need to bring them to the small claims court.

That's crazy. Can Triton do anything about the local shop if informed?

No. The shop isn't breaking any laws. It's Triton that gets blamed though when they won't repair for free after 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭me4many

May I butt in and ask a question please ..

My Triton t90i has stopped working ( it served me well )

What is the best replacement for that.

Thanks for help.

There are three Pumped Electric Showers on the market. Mira Elite SE, Triton T900PSR and the Triton T90SR. The Triton T90SR is the most reliable. You can get a dual rain head for that or if you don't like white, it comes in Satin and Black colour too

• Advertisement

Is the T900PSR cheaper than the T90SR, and why less reliable??

Is the T90SR TCO still failing occasionally like you mentioned a few years ago.

No. That was a short lived problem. The problem was that people were living with it rather than getting it repaired under warranty.

Remembering that there are seven times more Triton electric showers installed in the UK & Ireland compared to Mira and we repair more mira elites to Triton T90SR. The biggest failures are the solenoid and pump elbow in the Mira Elite QT /SE. Believe it or not they are on the MK3 pump elbow. This pump elbow was introduced about 6 years ago. This is their 3rd attempt to rectify the most flawed part in the Mira Elite.

Thanks, what about my first query, I have/had never heard of this model.

"Is the T900PSR cheaper than the T90SR, and why less reliable??"

Sorry John. Only read part of comment.

The Triton T900PSR has just replaced the Triton T900pi. The T900pi was brought out to make it easier for people with Mira Elite shower to move over to Triton. The T900pi is on the mark 20 odd years. It's a good reliable shower. The new T900PSR look identical to the T900pi on the outside. The main difference is that it is now a silent shower. Quality wise it's up there with the T90SR. The reason I don't rate it as high as the T90SR is because (like the Aqualisa Aquastream) they haven't updated the look of it on the outside. It came out around the same time as the Triton T90si. Around 2000. It looks just like the T90si only a different shape. To me it's a dated looking shower.

Which one of those would be the best suitable replacement if one decided to replace a old Mira Sport apart from obviously a tank fed water supply?.

T900PSR is portrait and T90SR landscape. It depends on what holes are behind the wall. If your old shower is connected on the right hand side then you will need about 12 inches of wall to the right of the shower to fit in the T90SR or you will need to move the pipe

Both should be the same price. Personally I'd go for the T90SR because it's more modern. Quality wise they should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭me4many

Thank you for that info..

I bought the t90sr....

Next get the plumber out.

This is replacing the t90i . Chances are holes won't be exactly the same for new shower so may have to drill new holes. The tiles are porcelain..

How much cash should I have ready to pay the plumber approx.

Thanks.

It depends on the plumber. In Dublin most shower repair companies will supply & fit a Triton T90SR for under €400 Inc vat. General plumbers on the other hand tend to be much more expensive. I have seen several charge €650 to supply and fit the same shower.

He will need to drill the tiles. There or four holes between the shower and the new shower pole. Diamond tipped porcelain tile bit is around €25. It should be able to drill 10 holes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmartin77777

Hello . I fitted a new triton novel sr about 2 months , it worked fine until about a week ago . Now its losing pressure and i can hear the pump ramping up and down itself. It runs for a wee while perfectly then starts this . Anys ideas ?

These pumps are bullet proof. Their failure rate is only 10% of the failure rate of the older type of motor. If it is a faulty motor then Triton will replace it for free under the warranty.

Before calling them out you need to rule out airlock or getting starved of water. There is a €95 call out fee if the shower isn't at fault & they wont fix your airlock issue. I would remove the head & drop the hose into the tray or bath. I would remove the cover, this is dangerous if you aren't careful. Then I would run the shower until it acts up. Once it does have a look at where the filter is below the pump. You can see the water through this area. If you don't see constant water through this area then the shower is most likely not at fault. If the water looks constant with no bubbles looking through the white plastic then I'd suggest faulty motor or power pack.

I can't stress enough how careful you need to be running the shower with the cover off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Got our Novel SR installed recently, happy enough with it but it's definitely not as powerful as our old Triton AS2000X which it replaced, maybe 75 - 85% as powerful, funny as both are specified as having a max delivery of up to 14 litres per minute, the Novel is delivering a tad over 12 litres per minute, I tested using a stopwatch and with the shower head off and hose hanging vertically, power turned up to max and temperature to min. I swapped over the hose and head from the old Triton and there was no notable increase In water pressure exiting the shower head so swapped back again to the original new one and will just accept that it is what it is, unless anyone here has any input or ideas on what might be the issue?

Thanks

What does your installer say about it?

Assuming it is piped correctly, it should have the same flow rate as the old shower. In fact most people would feel the new shower is more powerful than the old one. Older ones tend give less pressure as they age

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

He didn't witness the old shower running as it was deceased, reckons that it could perhaps be a tad less powerful but that it's brand new, installed correctly and should give years of trouble free service.

He's a qualified reputable plumber and general handyman, well known and sought after in the area.

It should give many years trouble free service. The silent motor has a much longer lifespan compared to the old style motor. There is a new thermostatic cartridge in these showers and I haven't seen one fail yet (assuming piped correctly).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Hey all, just installing the Novel SR and noticed the pipe trims fitted at top and bottom look like they would let water in.

Are they meant to be like that or should they be sealed?

I'm not sure what you mean by pipe trims. The water inlet is where you insert the pipes. These are push in fittings and shouldn't be sealed. Assuming you push the pipes home they won't give you any trouble

The pipe fitting are coming in from behind the unit.

There are cut outs in the case if you want to bring the pipes in from top or bottom.

As they are not being used they provide a small piece of plastic that fills the gaps.

But they are not 100 sealing the opening.

Can you post a photo? It actually sounds like you are describing a Triton AS2000xt. The Novel doesn't have two seperate entry points. It has one set that swivels to allow bottom or rear

Opening top and bottom

• Advertisement

You have an older triton novel. On the newer ones those pieces are moulded to the cover and need to be cut off if needed.

Slot them in place. A little silicone inside the cover around the piece of plastic will help it stay in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 martys pants

Hi Sleeper12,

Thanks for all the information you've provided in this thread already, very helpful.

I've just moved into a house and I'm planning on upgrading the electric shower setup to a power shower setup very soon. Going for the Triton Novel SR I think. I have a 30x18inch hot water tank which is heated by gas at the moment. Is this typically a big enough tank for 2 people having daily morning showers using a power shower? Just trying to figure out if I need to upgrade the tank to a larger size while I'm at it or if the one I have is good enough.

In the near future (maybe next year) I plan on getting PV solar panels installed on the house so I want to make sure I am setup for heating the water for the shower from the electricity as well as the gas. Do I need a special hot water tank for that? The current one seems to already have the immersion connections at the top but they're not in use as the water is only heated by the gas now.

Last question, maybe a silly one - is the plumbing for the power shower just a pipe from the hot water tank (in the hot press behind the shower) and a pipe from the tank in the attic or are there other things to consider?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Your tank should be big enough for two showers, one after another. The time spent in the shower may effect this. A teen daughter could drain a full tank in one shower :)

A lot of people dont understand that water heated using PV solar isn't free. If you didn't heat this water the electricity could be used to power other things in the home or sold back to the grid for 20-25c (I believe). So at the very least your free water is going to cost what you could sell back to the grid. A five minute shower using the electric shower will still be cheaper than a 5 minute shower using the "Free" hot water from the PV. A power shower uses much more water. This water is cleaned & treated at a cost to the enviroument. An electric shower is knider to the enviroument. Having said that a power shower is a far more pleasurable way to shower compared to an electric shower.

If you go for the Triton Novel (a great little power shower) I would suggest keeping the electric shower too. It is great as backup when teen daughter uses too much free water & you need a shower there & then. Also you wont get much free hot water some dark mid winter days. Again electric shower is very handy when you need a shower there & then but not as much hot water as you thought.

If replacing the electric shower with a Novel then you might be able to use the cold supply from the electric shower so long as it comes from the tank. The hot supply comes from the tank using a flange or from the hot pipe coming from the hot water tank. You need to pay attention to the instructions because you can void the warranty if it's not plumbed correctly. Take the hot from the wrong place & the shower con suck in air. The electrics are the most important part here. The 6mm or 10mm cable is way too big for an electric shower. I would run a new cable from thisolation switch to the shower & change the 40amp RCBO at the fuse box. 40amp RCBO isn't safe for a power shower. You will need a REC for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 martys pants

Thanks a million for the detailed response. That's good to hear about the tank size - if it turns out to be an issue down the road we'll look at it again.

Agreed on the cost and environmental impact of electric shower vs power shower, but the electric shower pressure isn't really cutting it and I don't know how else to increase the shower pressure other than to upgrade to a power shower - any suggestions on that? I'm getting about 5 L/min at normal shower temp at the moment from the electric shower fed from the cold water tank in the attic (older model Mira Elite ST). I'm getting about 10 L/min from the mains cold tap. Is there an electric shower on the market that can get me close to 10 L/min?

If not, and we do go the power shower route, I'm just thinking it would be nice to not have to burn gas every day at the height of summer to heat the water for the showers and sink, if the cost of heating the water from the solar battery will be comparable to the cost of heating the water with gas. There is also the possibility of cheap overnight rates for charging the PV battery?

Appreciate the pointers on the electrics and the tank feed, will definitely be getting a REC for the electrics and a qualified plumber for the pipework.

You won't get more than 5 lpm with any electric shower. They can't heat them instantly at high flow rates. Triton novel SR will put out around 14 lpm

Advertisement