Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Maybe, but I've seen any evidence of it. It does work for squirells. Plenty using it for them. Biggest issue, is that it works well on hedgehogs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I didn't think of the hedgehogs. The shape of the A18 leaves me to believe that it was designed for squirrels and squirrels only. I presume reds get the same fate as greys. I suppose if it was redesigned to work horizontally and use some sort of hedgehog excluder it may work. The way they have put the co2 cylinder on to it is very strange.

Yes true, a box with some sort of restriction, may help with regards hedgehogs. They should make a decent squirrel trap, as you said. Up on a tree trunk, away from none target's. Difference between here, and most of the UK is that A, we have a lot more reds, and B, we have a lot more pine marten. Pine marten like peanut butter too. That kind of leaves the trap unsuitable for most parts of this country.

Only way I can see these been usable here for mink, and you reminded me of it, is using it in a wooden box, with a hole in one end. You would have to check regularly though, as the dead mink would remain in the box.

But you would not have to check it as often. Maybe once a week. If an area was cleared of mink then only the odd invader would appear. So maybe creating an area completely free of mink by continuously removing any strays. What bait would you use for it.

You would, if using a box. The dead mink would block it up. This is why I wouldn't dream of investing in one.

Bait, fish oil maybe? Wouls a mink stick its head in the trap for a bit of oil? Nowhere to put actual solid bait. They have a squirrel bait/liquid, but doubt they'll have a mink bait of any kind. One that would stay fresh for weeks at a time.

• Advertisement

Let it block it up. What harm would it be doing. Not the best in the summer but the winter would be ok. Refresh it with fish oil once a week.

If it blocks the hole up, then nothing else can get in, therfore the trap is no better than a fifteen euro Fenn trap. Not worth paying out two hundred or more euro, for something that may end up being absolutely useless.

I know but the chances of catching more than one mink a week throughout the year is slim. And as more are caught less and less will be caught.

Will the fenn trap kill them quickly?

Post edited by minktrapper on

The fenn wouldn't be at the top of the list for killing quickly, but it's hard bet when it comes to catching imo.

Best plan of attack? Timber tunnel trap?

• Advertisement

I like timber tunnels. Used as a tunnel, and not a mink box or cubby. Tunnel opened both ends.

Timber tunnels can work very well, especially if you can find a spot where a mink doesn't have many other options, bar go through that tunnel. With either a fenn or conibear in the middle, set in the right location, you will take every mink that runs that bank. No need for lure, bait or anything.

I have a couple of little spots on the rivers I trap, that are perfect for a tunnel set. Ditch that runs right down to the waters edge, with a steep bank on the river. So say, a drop off from the end of the ditch to the water. I will set the tunnel on the ditch, say going through the ditch, and then block off any holes in the ditch around where my tunnel is. Any mink that comes down that bank will use the tunnel, because its the easiest way for him to get through the ditch.

What length of tunnel? What size of opening on the tunnel?

Not a hundred percent sure what mine are. Maybe two foot. Hole seventy to eighty millimeters. Preferably round holes.

Would they work on a ledge under a bridge? Best bait?

No bait. That's handy. Do you get many rats? Do you have to make the ledge accessible for them or do they find it themselves. Which ledge is better upstream or downstream.

It would have to be a ledge close to ground level. Easy for a mink to pop onto it when running the bank. I have perfect one on one of my stops. Mink use it regularly. I'd set both sides, if there's a ledge both sides.

Would they go over it often I wonder. Would you get many rats?

Get the odd rat. If the conditions are right, mink will use them a lot. The ledge I set the most, is actually under a dry bridge. Well it's a third bridge that is there to prevent flooding. I've caught mink on that ledge when thre is water underneath it, and even when it's practically dry.

• Advertisement

Some good information there on mink and mink sign.

I presume it is whatever ledge is in line with the river bank will be used most by mink. Would you leave it empty for a period to let wildlife get used to it.

Good info on mink alright. Not too sure the information on otters is correct though. I saw an otter near one of my mink cages lately. Next day I had a mink in the cage. Maybe they haven't set out their territories yet.

Otters have always been been plentiful here. In the UK the otter population was until recently, not as healthy as ours. In recent years, there has been a major increase in otters there, at the same time, mink numbers have dropped. They say its because of the increase in otters. I don't think they have any hard evidence, that this is the case.

Is it the mark 4 fenn you use Eddie?

No, the MK6. The MK4 is a bit small for a buck mink

Ok. The mark 6 it is so.

I have a video or two on setting them in tunnels, and in holes in the banks. I can stick them up here if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Here's one with a tunnel set up, using a Fenn trap.

Post edited by Eddie B on

• Advertisement

Dalm it. I've forgotten how to embed a video

Edited to add, I got it sorted

Post edited by Eddie B on

Advertisement