Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miners Strike 1984

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

scargill is a [b]JUDAS GOAT[\b] personality. Google Judas Goat for explanation or wicktionary. An apt Tory tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Scargill made key strategic errors. He should have called for a national ballot, which he likely would have won, and broken the divisions within the minors that existed on a county by county level. He also persisted beyond a rational point, in effect turning a bad loss into an existential movement scuttling defeat.

However, it really isn't a simple issue. Scargill was correct in terms of the big picture and the direction of travel: for him it was an existential issue and history has proven him 100% correct on that point. A National Strike that could bring the National Coal Board / Government to the table so that a deal could be cut around ring fencing pit closures was the only way to slow the loss of jobs. Sure it seems silly and counter intuitive in retrospect, but the writing was on the wall already and drastic action was needed. Entire communities and lives were due to be destroyed, and it was only a matter of *when*. In that sense, once Scargill had the lads out he deduced that they could never go back in without a deal. You can say his mistakes hastened the demise of the miners and their unions, but that demise was coming anyway. Pit volume and mining employment was ever decreasing so they really didn't have anything to lose.

In any case, as the documentary summarises, no matter what approach Scargill chose the reality is that he and his union would have been portrayed incorrectly in media. This was the era of McKenzie at the Sun and class based editorial decisions within the BBC and ITV current affairs rooms (it was also an era influenced by the ongoing conflict in the North and the continuing censorship directed by Government). Media coverage was doctored, one eyed and deeply biased with facts changed and footage sequenced as necessary to support an anti Union narrative. It is therefore hugely naïve to think that Scargill had a path to victory, even if it is correct to point at strategic errors that made the life of Government / Media easier.

It is important to underline that the bias in media is historical fact. South Yorkshire police fabricated statements and evidence and media spliced footage in a way that supported an unlawful narrative discordant from reality. A similar effort was employed after the Hillsborough disaster. In this light, what people who lived through the time experienced is deeply distorted. Those working away in London and reading their paper / listening to the BBC - no matter how open minded - were being fed pure Government propaganda. Mining could not have survived, but a serious national conversation around how to ramp it down fairly, with retraining opportunities and replacement of jobs never happened. Instead the Conservative apparatus went to war on the miners, correctly deducing that it was to their political benefit to do so.

The big thing that came through the individual stories covered by the documentary is the crippling loss of identity experienced on both an individual and community level. Generations of working men "down pit" left with no job, no future, no hope. Their identity could not have survived of course, mining was always going to become obsolete. But it didn't have to become a class war by proxy, where "victory" for the Conservative Government meant abject poverty and desolation for mining communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

his methods were democratic, the strike was going to be supported by a majority so it was pointless wasting his time having a vote on the issue seeing as it was going to be passed.

magdolf nazcher was always going to be able to divide and rule as she had the majority far right elements of the british media on her side and the BBC would do what it was told or else.

your claim is wishful thinking but not reality, magdolf was always going to do whatever she needed to do to win, kill if needs be.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

the imported coal was actually often low grade, not to mention used slave labour to dig it out of the ground.

low grade coal is generally more polluting then some of the british stuff that came out of the ground which was often high grade, of course some of it was low as well but quite a lot of it was quite decent.

welsh coal as an example is said to be among the best in the world if not the best.

to be fair, the conservatives were only interested in opening a coal mine cause labour something something.

so it's not surprising people got annoyed over it seeing as it wasn't a genuine interest in providing jobs or energy security or any of the other reasons they claimed to want to open it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I remember them looking for the NUM's money and tracing a stash to a Bank of Ireland account in Dublin. I don't know if Thatcher's crowd managed to get their hands on it.

The only union that Thatcher ever supported was Solidarity in Poland, but people in the UK standing up for rights was a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That’s an, er, interesting concept of democracy you’ve got there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

posters tagging parts of the culture wars on to a discussion about the miner's strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well I think you're completely wrong there - he should definitely have held a national ballot. It would have been a legitimate method to supersede county level votes against striking in the few places that had yet to suffer significant closures. While the Government and media would have found other ways to delegitimise, the failure to have a national ballot fashioned a big stick against himself and the Union. You can empathise with the miners and see logic in Scargill's decision to all out strike while criticising that strategic error.

quite strange she supported solidarity in poland when she was backing the government there also.

obviously some falling out with the polish government or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Getting off-topic, but I don't think Thatcher was ever a supporter of the Communist government in Poland? Wojciech Jaruzelsk etc.

We're talking about an Eastern Europe pre-Berlin Wall coming down.

There was hypocrisy in supporting unions in 1980s Poland, and fighting them in 80s Britain. But the people of Poland are certainly glad to free from the Soviet empire.

more a backer then a supporter, as in she was happy to use them when it suited her.

oh yeah it's great the soviet union is no more, it was a brutal regime that is no loss to anyone TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Who do you blame for the hundreds of mine closures and job losses before Thatcher came to power?

Is this the same woman who put the police in to protect the workers who wanted to work? Who was it suppressed the voice of miners by refusing to hold actual ballots?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No young man would work in a coal mine in Britain or in Ireland for that matter these days.

If there was coal mines around now in the UK, they'd have to rely on Eastern Europeans to do the job.

Not everyone affected by the closures ended up on the dole for the rest of their life. Many went on and got new jobs and lived normally. Those who sunk into their own self pity, descended into poverty and still complain about Thatcher, while the rest of the world has moved on.

nobody because what closed before she came to power were small pits that could not be modernised, she on the other hand closed profitable pits that were ripe for modernisation and imported coal at multiples of the cost which was dug out of the ground using brutalised slave labour.

she put the police in to break up the strike and beat up workers, this has been admitted to even indirectly by her.

there was no point in having a ballot because the strike had enough support to justify it and carry it.

a lot more ended up on the doal then didn't and they ended up being demonised still by the racist tabloids.

those that didn't ended up in minimum wage jobs and still faced the same classism and demonisation.

hard for effected communities to move on when they are starved of everything due to classism.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭thamus doku

The miners were there own worst enemy. The whole of the 70s they were on strike every five minutes and the owners of the mines were also in on it as the government had no choice but to bail the mine out

also remember the miners were very prone to violence too and I believe scargill made huge mistakes in how he managed the union.

thatcher had no choice but to bite the head off the snake

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The tabloids were racist towards the strikers?

Classism ruined their lives. This is something 19th century argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The towns that lost their mines in many cases were promised replacement industries but thatcher and the tories never carried out these promises . The miners areas were working class and Labour so not important to Thatcher . These towns 40 years later have high unemployment, lots of poor people people , lower life expectancy and crime thanks to thatcher & London tories and the policemen who attacked the striking miners .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thatcher did the right thing here. Other than her views on the north I find myself agreeing with Thatcher an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But instead of getting off their asses and going where the work was, like the Irish did, they just stayed. Could never understand that.

no, they weren't on strike "every five minutes" .

they did have a number of strikes because successive governments refused to actually implement a plan that would see what could be kept and modernised done so, they just burried their heads in the sand.

the miners only got violent when provoked and it is well known there were agents planted among pickets to stur up trouble.

thatcher had every choice to not deliberately destroy large suades of her country beyond repair in an aim of simply relying on the city and only keeping the southeast afloat with the rest to fend for itself.

the snake she bit the head off was not the miners union or miners, but basically everyone in those large areas destroyed beyond repair.

thatcher's ideology was a failure, it is discredited and is responsible for the problems britain faced before the economic suicide of brexit made things worse again.

the tabloids are racist against anyone they can be and hate anyone they can.

they are generally one of the biggest problems britain has and why it can't move forward and build a working country.

they were only promised stuff but there was never any plan to deliver, the plan was just to let them rot.

thatcher's plan relied on the city and employment for the city with the rest left to minimum wage, high tax.

not to mention squandering the north sea oil revenue to deliver tax cuts for the rich with a few bribes for those lower down.

problem is the evidence shows otherwise.

almost everything she did had a very high price either in the short or long term in return and effected more then it benefited.

thatcherism is an ideology that is like giving you a quid with one hand but taking your house with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...hahahaha, of course you do, shur you align with free market libertarian ideologies and beliefs!

because there would have been no point given there was no suitable reasonably payed work for them, and the work available elsewhere was poorly payed and had to much competition.

not to mention they either owned their houses which they couldn't sell, or were in social housing which they would have then had to go on a long list in a new area.

but remember this was all by design as the plan was the city of london and enough workers to service that, and north sea oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Exactly, if I were a Brit I'd be a tory. Irish people pee themselves in an attempt to criticise me when I say I'm a fan of thatcher.

She made mistakes, everyone does, show me a leader who made no mistakes and I'll show you a propagandist or a liar. She privatised industries that needed to be privatised, she reduced taxes from above 70% on the highest earners to below 40%.

Her, Woodrow Wilson, Hitler (excluding 1939 onwards of course, I admire his support of autarky and industrial buildup as well as support for Germans who were being abused in Czechoslovakia and the aspiration to restore the German empire), Haughey and Bertie are my 5 favorite politicians. None of them are perfect or didnt make mistakes but they all changed their country and or the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Coal mine closures had been going on since the 1960s. Thatcher sped up the process, but the coal mines would not have lasted another decade. Any attempts to re-open coal mines have been bitterly resisted by modern Labour on the grounds of Climate Change.

with all the hand-wringing about the Miners Strike, it’s easy to forget that Thatchers dogged Monetarism in the early 80s had a bigger impact on job losses and de-industrialisation - which disproportionately affected the north of England.

“replacement jobs” are never easy to produce, e.g. Obama’s promise of green tech jobs boom which never materialised. Or Biden telling coal miners in 2019 to “learn to code”.

Advertisement