Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Liam2021

Just reading this. Does anyone have any issues with loads on the 4 hours. Charging car, charging 10kw batteries heating water and running dishwasher and washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say as long as your not taking electric showers in the middle of the night, you should be ok😉

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You simply won't do all things at once. You have to do your maths and make compromises. Too many people seem to think they can squash everything into a 4 hour window and win.

Do your sums, the only person that can tell you the load you use will be you by noting it down from your meter/s

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I have weekender plan with E.I., which works for me. My charger (EO mini pro) regularly flips a fuse when draw goes over about 12 kw (I think it's 12). So it may depend on your house wiring, but you could have problems trying to charge/ run all that stuff at the same time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume the charger would probably throttle back the car charging. Which might be an issue, if you've a tight window and need to fill the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I'm charging car, 5kw battery and running dishwasher with no problems.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭fafy

Re limited Smart Night window, Its all dependant on individual needs.

How often you have to charge the car, and if it is feasible, to do this across 2 or maybe 3 nights, will be fine for most people, but not for some.

Battery size could be a biggie, i’m still looking at either a 10 or 15kWh PV battery, but for most of the year, that won’t need to be charged each day, from say 15% to 100 %.

The newer washing machines and dryers are more efficient and draw less of a load.

Even in the event of high draw, many car chargers, will automatically balance the load and reduce the car charging draw, as appropriate.

This won’t be a problem, for most people, it clearly won’t work for someone who needs their large EV battery charged from empty to full, every single night, or like showering at 4am, but thats a minority of people

Post edited by fafy on

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭snor

I charge the car, a 5Kwh battery, run dryer, dishwasher, washing machine, dehumidifier and Eddi from 2-6. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I have night rate on 9hr window with 63A main fuse, car charging, battery charging, washing machine and dishwasher coming on a staggered times. I'm only waiting for the young fella to come in from the pub some night and put the kettle & toaster on just as element in the dishwasher or washing machine is on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

By my calculation, a typical domestic installation can sustain 14.6-14.9kW Max, open to correction but 232-237 Volts at 63 Amps is 14.6-14.9 kW. I wouldn't like to be reaching that value continuously or even approaching it as something switching in/on may have an sudden increase in current that could trip the main breaker. With my setup, smallish EV, smallish battery (5kwh), and grid shifting for cost my Hot Water in my tariffs 2-6am window, I have seen at least 12.1kW reached and I am think consumption may have gone higher. When its required to run, I shift the time of the dishwasher to start after the time the HW is seen to have typically stopped heating up. I think the washing machine uses more power, so I only run it load shifting if I dont need to charge the car.

If I had to charge the car everynight for range, had more battery capacity to charge and/or had to run a Heat Pump, I think it would be preferable to have a longer "whole" night window, like historic night rates used to be, from 11pm-7am, so that the load can be spread out across the whole night instead of trying to cram usage into a smaller time window. Given that power is produced and little used overnight, even now, I'm unclear why smart EV type rates and low cost tariffs overnight aren't for the whole 11pm-7am duration and more common. That way the whole night period could be utilised for power consumption of the power produced and distributed to the grid?? I'd have thought that is a benefit to the Electricity producers & distributers to have more people utilise the whole low usage period over the whole night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're making the energy suppliers sound very altruistic indeed.

The providers have realised there is a huge opportunity to cash in on the advent and rise of the EV home charging solution. A bit like insurance companies - if they all do the same thing, with minimal differentiation - then the industry as a whole benefits from the captive market.

Far more to be made on hooking in a customer on a small low-tariff window and the maximising wallet share via expensive other-hour tariffs.

The take-up of the low cost 9-hour overnight charging windows in 2022 and early 2023 showed the providers exactly how much opportunity existed in the market to develop and grab.

There is not a single one of them thinking of the "grid" or the "people".

[Quote=1874]I'd have thought that is a benefit to the Electricity producers & distributers to have more people utilise the whole low usage period over the whole night?[/Quote]

More people than ever are utilising the low usage period over the whole night, we're just paying high tariff prices for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This practice is what stopped smart meter adoption, and will have the same effect on EVs. Both with public charging and home charging.

Yuno Energy Fixed Rates:

24 hour Urban rate is now down to 26.13 inc vat. standing charge(urban) is 264.73 inc vat

D/n Urban rate is :

Day 26.41 inc vat, Night 17.07 inc vat, standing charge 326.24 inc vat

Microgeneration rate, is one of the lowest, just 15.89 inc vat. (14 cent ex vat)

Can't seem to get over there customer service reviews though. So many complaints about estimated billing and then unable to track people down to solve large bills. How are they estimating billing when part of the sign up is authorising them access to all your smart meter data.

Am I missing something. On paper they sound great. People's experiences seem at odds with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Big bugbear for me, I tried to switch to there day / night rate but because I have a regular activated smart meter not possible, It seems extraordinary that a smart meter can not be calibrated to read day night .Also finding it impossible to get a day night smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

once rm108 meters are activated that's it you're stuck on smart only tariffs. there's no option to go to the smart d/n tariffs, they are only for people who had d/n meters which were swapped out for smart d/n meters (rm107). this is the case with all suppliers.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

the instruction came from the CRU. Why i do not know.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Yes,I'm aware of that my gripe is why can they not do it.They are meant to be SMART meters.

they clearly aren't very smart, the meters that is.

• Advertisement

I think the meters are plenty smart.

They can do 21/3 windows, free weekends etc.

Seems odd they don't want to do 15/9 windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

I assume that an Rm108 meter that is currently on a day/night plan can still go to a new day/night plan when the current contract ends? They don't have to switch to a smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I'm on a smart D/N with a 9 hour night rate. When I renew I will be able to go onto another one.

Not so clear cut, according to what Energia told me when i asked about that, i’m currentky on the Day/Night tarriff,with 20% off, but the RM108 was installed a few weeks back.

Energia told me i would have to move onto a smart plan once current contract ends. If i move supplier- same deal, but it is a little vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The answer is daylight savings, D/N meters don't obey daylight savings, smart meters do

The smart meter won't allow you to record to two registers at once, so a new config (RM108) was created to replace the D/N meters

As a general rule, the CRU doesn't allow switching from a smart meter plan with meter type MCC12 or MCC16 to the older meter plans (MCC1 for 24 hour and MCC2 for D/N)

Previously people could switch from a smart plan to D/N because there were no smart meters that supported those plans. Since the RM108 meters started rolling out it seems that option has gone

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Seems a serious cop out that 70 year old mechanical technology can cater for this scenario but up to date 'smart' technology can't have the firmware or capability to do the most basic of basic maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Of course they can.

Question still unanswered - just like why are standing charges higher for "discounted" plans - is why would there be resistance/barriers to moving to smart/non-smart tariffs as it suited customers. There clearly is, so nobody's disputing the fact you can't, we'd just like to know why.

The why might be a strategy to move the population wholescale to less flexible smart technology that give the network operator better control of its energy distribution.

But treating the population like mushrooms and having call centre agents repeat the mantra that "it's not allowed" is a bit insulting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Unless it's coming from cru/ESBN, it looks like an energia decision.

Guess I'll find out when renewal time comes!

DN will have to be supported by some suppliers at least, for the ones that didn't get one, and for people that the smart meter doesn't have good enough reception.

All true, but for the vast majority on d/n currently. who do have adequate reception, its fairly clear d/n tarriffs are on the way out, as smart meters have been, and will continue to be, aggressively rolled out.

Its probably not a big deal, for most of those with PV and batteries, but will be for many others.

Smart urban meter standing charges, have been reducing, and are typically €100 a year less than the average d/n meter, and then there is the wide ranging export rate, and peoples individual needs.

It has gotten a bit more complicated to distinguish the best tariffs for individual circumstances, but generally, if you have a smart meter with PV & batteries, smart tariffs are generally the way to go, but a caveat, that there are always some user specific need requirements. exceptions of course

• Advertisement

I've a 5kW battery and I'm really struggling to justify another.

With prices falling exporting to the grid is the way to go. The different could be about 10c at this point.

Advertisement