Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

O

No. 37 handpasses in a row my friend.

If anyone thinks that this and the tackle don’t need to be reformed , well what can I say.

As for pineing for anything f from the past…… nah mate.

Something watchable will do this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ok fair enough how many minutes did it take? What game was it?

What was the context? Was it done to control or kill the game? Why were the opposition not able to win the ball back?

I mean Dublin won the 2017 AI with strategic play at the end they kept the ball handpassing. Mayo were incapable of winning the ball back, due to Dublin's superior movement skill and nous.

Peak Dublin knew when to handpass, knew when to kick, took the percentage shots. And crucially always had tremendous movement lads with their head up ready to switch play.

The problem with the handpass is when poor teams use it constantly as a safety net with no variation, because they are afraid to kick it. The good teams still have variation in the play.

There was some handpassing in the Dublin Monaghan game in the league but it was strategic, team probing for weakness, or taking the sting out of it. Then Monaghan struck when the time was right and won the game. If Monaghan aimlessly kicked the ball no way would they have beaten Dublin. Simple as that.

Look at O'Hanlon's goal for Monaghan that was a handpassing move done properly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Galway Tyrone….. done by Galway I think around the 19th min first half… score I think 4 pts each.

There was a free to Gwy in the middle of it…short kick to a teammate and off again

Didn't Galway get a win in the end? That to me is playing smart. Great goal scored and showed control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've been hearing about forwards not being able to shoot my entire life, that they do nothing but fitness at training and must never do shooting drills, its no exaggeration to say that I have been hearing and reading that literally since I was able to pick up a newspaper back in the day.

But back then it was players missing shots, today it is players never shooting at all.

I have to say, I find it very strange to see players get into what I always thought were very attractive shooting positions, 20/30 yards out, with the nearest defender over 10 feet away and they don't even entertain a shot. Just turn yet again and recycle the ball back to midfield.

There is nothing new about scoring zones but by god they take it to extremes these days if a lad free 30 yards out can't have a go at the posts.

• Advertisement

Dubin used to that only shoot from the D in front of the posts waiting for the chance. I can't remember which year it was but it was v Tyrone in the championship. The Dublin wide count was ridiculously low, which was helped by Tyrone sitting back.

However there are still players who take a shot from range. Fenton v Roscommon, and David Clifford v Mayo at the weekend. But those are lads not short on technique or confidence.

I think it again comes down to players who have a fear that they will miss, or are told not too shoot from a certain range.

Personally I think it is players lacking confidence more than anything else too easy too recycle rather than shoot. If they brought in a forward hand pass rule, they might have no choice but to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Diarmuid Connolly used to shoot from range, what I am talking about I wouldn't describe as being from range at all.

Having a go from the 45 or from wide on the left is one thing, but I'm seeing players central not far from the D not even looking at the posts.

Its bizarre, the point of recycling used to be to hold the ball until you created separation in the scoring zone. Now they have that separation and still don't shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

5 of the first 6 passes in that Mayo Dublin game were hand passes. The reason for more positive play in that game was not lack of hand passes, it was lack of massed defences. Space is what is needed not no hand passes

One highlight in a seventy plus game isn’t a good watch.

It’s not entertainment, and you know it.

Rest of the game was to put it mildly- turgid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it isnt me mentioning the hand pass by the way. but there was less hand passing years ago by a long way, game is too slow now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Knight

Go to 70:47 in the first video. Mayo are up by 2 points in added time and they win a free at half way.

There isn't even an inkling of pass backwards. A ball is kicked forward.

Nowadays, they wouldn't look forward, they'd be facing their own goal all the way back to their keeper.

Be honest lads, gaelic football today is just basketball without a shot clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Interesting point here . Would a shot clock be worth introducing once the ball enters the opponents half . ? Worth a trial at least . Say 120 seconds once the first pass passes the half way line .

-) probably eould speed up the game

-) probably would make it an ultra defensive game .

-) team like mayo would thrive as basically for them it’s 100 miles an hour once they get it past half way .

im baffled as to why those in charge of rule changes dont make some, like would they not be guys who played the game when it wasnt 30 players in 1 half?

What about the tactical nous the naunce of control, getting the better over a team who are better on paper? Hurling have the opposite problem too many scores.

At least football teams can show some tactical intelligence, to get victory against teams that are slightly better than them.

I already saw that suggested by a poster on the GAA changes thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The shot clock is an old chestnut on this thread. The post I copied and pasted below is from Page 1. Imagine being a GAA footballer reading this stuff. Or a referee. They would think that people are out to make their lives a nightmare.

"Bring in a half pitch rule like basketballs half court rule, once you bring the ball over the half it can’t go back over or you forfeit possession.

Must keep a minimum of 3 players in your own and the the opposition half at all times.

Bring in a shot clock if needs must. Bring in a half way line clock if needs be.

Plenty of ways to counter 15 man possession passing and full team defending in your own half without reinventing the wheel."

Do you get enjoyment from a game like France V Gibraltar? you know the kind of game, 11 behind the ball trying to keep France from scoring. Do you think that shows great tactics and is interesting to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I don't know why they're so slow to protect the entertainment value of the game.

Compare GAA to rugby.

For example, few years ago Ireland perfected a rule and employed a 'choke tackle'. This meant Ireland nullified the opposition using suffocation tactics. But it killed attacking play. Now once a players knee hits the ground, it's a tackle and players have to release the man.

Similarly, laws recently introduced such as the 50/22, where if a player kicks inside his own half and puts it out inside the opposition 22, the kicker gets the lineout. This means more players need to cover the backfield, which means more space to attack the line.

The only changes in football from what I can see in the last few years is keepers needing to kick past the 21 which teams have perfected now anyways and the attacking mark, which is a horrible rule.

Rules need to evolve to protect the entertainment value because teams squeeze every last drop out of the rules if they remain the same.

• Advertisement

I would question whether players actually enjoy playing the modern game. They might enjoy winning, but I don't know how a half forward enjoys playing football when all they do is handpass it. Maybe they are happy because they don't have the skill to kick it.

Was chatting a guy a couple of years ago, a forward, he said he had a little patch to stay in all game, it didnt sound like he was enjoying it at all. The fun is gone out of playing id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

Almost every Galway supporter would disagree with you. 90% of us are bored to tears and couldn't care less whether they win or lose at the moment. Its septic stuff to watch and its not just Galway. Even watching the All Ireland champions is a snoozefest.

The structure of the competitions doesn't help any team experiment however, as there's no margin for losses. Once you lose 2 games in either competition you're either done for or in serious trouble.

Someone will now come along and ask for your 'survey' or stats on that statement, when the dogs in the street know its true.

The game urgently needs to get a makeover as its not a good watch right now.

No point in sticking your head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭threeball

At least we used to be able to fall back on the club game to get some entertainment but all the little copy and paste merchant coaches have brought the IC sh1te there too. This years club championships had some of the worst games of sport I've ever had the displeasure of watching. One particular game went down to the wire but people had lost interest and for the final 15 mins 80% of people were on their phones or had left.

Read the last line my friend.... tells you everything

So it wasnt 37 hand passes in a row. Gotcha

My friend , its people like you who can't see the wood from the trees.

I wouldn't waste my time engaging with you.

• Advertisement

Read Galway GAA thread from post 8095 onwards and see what Galway supporters thought of the game.

Then tell me its a good spectator event.

Advertisement