Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think a NIQ 9 would be fine if McGrath was let go. You don't want the situation where a disimproving player who was never quite good enough is hogging the 3rd choice play time. Frankly McGrath gone and replaced by an NIQ and Gunne/Foley getting gametime for a year or two is a perfect situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Just because it's quiet today I had a quick look at Lukes passing. In isolation it doesn't tell you too much as there's nothing to compare it to in terms of his performance or his peers. Murphy made 25 passes off the bench to Lukes 61 which would give a slight idea

It might not still be the case but when I did it - half backs passing would be graded as Good, Average or Bad.

Good - cannot be faulted in any way. No checked run, good pace, no reach, ball caught out in front in torso area (conditions and context depending)

Average - slight check in run, ball marginally out of torso zone, poor pace etc

Bad - ball doesn't go to hand, runner has to significantly check, ball too high/ low etc.

McGrath had 61 passes, 31 of which were "Good", 23 of which were "Average" and 7 of which were "Bad"

A return of just over 50% good passes isn't really a metric he or any of the coaches would be happy with.

Murphy had 25 passes, 17 of which were "Good", 6 "Average, 2 "Bad"

So Murphy comes in on the ~70% "Good" metric which would be a closer expectation of a 9. But less relevant due to a smaller sample size and factors such as fatigue not being as relevant. I think it should be noted McGrath started the game quite strongly with consistent Good passes.

The most notable thing was the pace. 4 times Leinster cleared their lines with Osborne standing about 15m in the pocket to clear. McGraths pass to be colloquial about it "died on it's arse". It barely had the pace to go the whole 15m and it happened off both hands. Contrast this with the one time Murphy did it with Osborne again clearing - much better pace on it and hit the man perfectly.

Under the microcosm of the pass by pass analysis - Murphys passing was unquestionably quicker. I always will admire a 9 who goes for the "Fire, Aim, Load" approach which he did very well and the service was nice. Luke on the other hand was just slower off the base (which has been the recurring theme for him his entire career)

I think it should be noted that passing pace is quite subjective as actual speed is not measured. Rightly or wrongly it would vary person to person analysing. There was probably some passes by Luke which got graded as Average due to a combination of it being slower and the receiver taking an unnecessary check or step where as functionally it might have been a "Good" pass. Sometimes you just need to eyeball and trust you know what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Luke has never been a good passer. I don't see him being jettisoned now because of something that has been present his whole career. If he was he's USA qualified, could be at the next world cup with them which might be an option for him(would be 34/35 by then)

If you look at the age profiles of the 9's at the world cup it's becoming a real "experience" position. Dupont (who kinda is always the exception) aside you had faf at 32, Aaron Smith 33, care and young's in 30's, park 31

So we might just have to be patient with Coffey/gunne/Foley and Murphy for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Will Usanov get into the academy? Or is Howard more deserving.

Watching the Treviso match, Uren was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Don't see prendergast name in the Irish squad. Jaeger and ahern in there. Wonder is he still a "training panelist" or been released

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How Osborne was awarded motm, is beyond me. I thought Deegan deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I haven't really got a strong impression of howard so far but Usanov looks like he has tons of potential to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I suspect Jager and Ahern's presence is as much to do with question marks around Furlong, Henderson and (supposedly) Doris.

This week, I'm happier for Prendergast to get a full go with Leinster and hopefully start against a fairly strong Saracens outfit on Friday night (Billy Vunipola, McFarland, Maitland, Gonzalez).

• Advertisement

First I've heard about Doris. Did they know this when they dropped Cian Prendergast?

Cian Prendergast was last man in so first man out when it comes to cover, I'd imagine. Ahern was brought in initially and Prendergast only called in when Ahern was subsequently ruled out with concussion.

Doris carrying a knock was mentioned on a podcast yesterday. I'd still expect him to feature but one to watch, perhaps. I'd also put Aki and Furlong in the same brackets. There's often an indication as to who is fully fit when you see who is released back to the provinces. McCloskey and TOT not released back to Ulster (Furlong and Aki carrying knocks). Ahern called up (POM had a calf injury and whispers about Doris).

Might just indicate that lads aren't in a position to go full throttle in training early in the week and they need a little bit of management through the game week.

I thought Ahern was in the training squad with Jager and Sam Prendergast initially and when Cian came in, as a capped international, it was to the actual squad. Maybe I don't understand how it works but if Ahern is now ahead of CP it's a bit of a ballache for him (and pushes Coombes even further down, I suppose)..

In the update, it was noted as a straight swap with CP listed under the training panel members so it seems that Ahern was viewed ahead of him but there are always nuances with this. For example, if POM was injured and not Ahern, I wouldn't have been surprised if CP was called directly into the full squad.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2024/01/23/prendergast-replaces-ahern-in-ireland-squad-for-training-camp/

Is Keenan definitely out? If Doris is out, Conan starts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd prefer they give Keenan the rest rather than take the slightest risk on him.

It's a position that they need to build depth in so even if he's considered fit I'd say start him on the bench and give Frawley the 15 shirt.

Doris is an easy swap with Conan.

Was just reading another forum and apparently Quinlan is pushing/ implying that players leave Leinster for the other provinces. This drives me nuts. Jackman is another one that consistently runs with this. It's likely that Milne is going to Munster. If that's true, surely Josh Wycherly will have to move on for gametime? It's also key to note that Leinster product Loughman is Munsters starting lh. He'd have competition from another lh from Leinster and not forgetting that Hadden is in the academy. The th in pole position at Munster is another Leinster product!

It's ridiculous to talk about the talent at Leinster and gloss over the fact that the international Squad is laden with Leinster players. Don't these pundits realize that depth is needed during the international windows? Soroka was also mentioned as a player leaving. It makes no sense, he's consistently injured and he's going to be competing with a seriously good back row squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Pundits are always pushing the narrative about players moving away from Leinster, but it rarely happens, and when it does happen, it's nearly always because that player is surplus to requirements from our perspective. Tadhg Beirne is probably the only player we have cut loose that has ended up being someone who would likely have had any impact at Leinster. The others (e.g. Conway and Carbery) are players that decided to move on for their own reasons and there's not much we can do about that.

I was following the same discussion and agreed with where it effectively netted out. Leinster can't employ every single player in the country that has any prospect at being a pro player. Is the alternative that Leinster's depth chart at loosehead is Porter, Healy, Loughman, Byrne, Milne, Boyle, McCarthy, Hadden, Foxe?

Yes, three of those have ended up at Munster, and likely a fourth in Milne, but have we actually missed out on anybody? I don't think so, we still have the two highest potential young looseheads in the country in our academy.

Jager is a leinster product? I'd say Crusader's product but that whole thing always confuses me. It seems that 100% of development is credited to the province where you went to school. It probably should be more nuanced than that.

I personally don't care if guys move other than I'd like to see them move to my team. However, i do see the argument for Deegan. At Leinster, it seems basically set in stone that he is behind Baird, Conan and Doris. He's also now behind Ahern and Prendergast at least at 6 it seems. So, play the waiting game and hope Conan ages out and he gets the back up 8 job? Its not even clear if he is ahead of coombes there. There is a decent argument that he might make a better case for himself say starting at 8 every week for connacht.

Milne, i think he def could stay at least one more contract and fight to be back up loosehead to porter for leinster and internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I've read this 3 times and I'm still not sure of the point you are trying to make

• Advertisement

Is Milne to Munster a done deal or rumoured to be?

Why would Wycherley need to leave? Munster literally only have three looseheads at this point in time: Kilcoyne (35 and likely to retire....or would be shown the door if they had options), Wycherley (I don't think he'll ever be up to the level required so back up is no bad thing for him) and Loughman who has improved significantly with exposure but I'd put around the level of Ed Byrne.

Leinster are absolutely overloaded with looseheads. It makes no sense for them all to remain and Milne's profile makes him the most likely to leave. He enjoyed some game time last season but that was largely due to the unavailability of others. He hasn't had a sniff of late and is 25 now.

It does nobody any good to keep a hold of all these guys. Even with Porter and Healy in the Irish squad, we've Milne and McCarthy playing in the AIL whilst Boyle and Byrne get precious URC minutes.

I reckon Milne would be a big loss. Agree we can't hold onto everyone and surplus should go elsewhere. I'm interested to see what plays out and in particular, how the u20's shake out. I'm guessing a few Leinster players in the u20's go elsewhere.

I can see your point. But, starting for Connacht doesn't work for Deegan. He's going to want to play european matches. If he does leave, a trip to France with Stu could be his vest bet salary wise. But I think Deegan will go to Ulster.

The point is the drivel these clowns spew. When do they ever propose a move to benifit Leinster? Did any of them propose RG to Leinster?

Rumored. Nothing to dispense the rumor. Milne was the 24th man last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He hasn't even played this season, he can't be that big a loss.

If he wants to play European matches he should probably leave Leinster.

I'm countering the notion. Milne is vastly better than Wycherly, my opinion, and would make the matchday squads. Wycherly would be dependent on injury for minutes and there's a couple of lads in the academy who could pressure him over the next 18 months. I was saying he should move for minutes to point out the fact that a 3rd choice player doesn't get the matches or minutes they want. I wouldn't want Wycherly, I don't rate him. How long before the calls for Boyle or Pat McCarthy to leave Leinster start to sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I think Boyle and McCarthy should leave Leinster for Munster :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement