Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd argue that if we had a functioning housing market, ie one with more competition and no supply side restraints on labour or land, it might then be more efficient.

But that's probably getting a bit off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This isnt true.

The councils are building very few social homes, subcontracted or otherwise.

As an example, in 2022, Dun Laoghaire Council built just 2 social homes.

That borough has a larger population than Cork City.

What the councils are doing is taking the 10% or 20% part 5 social housing that is funded by the developer on new build estates and are then renting or buying additional housing stock on the same developments, using tax payers money. Ensuring rents stay high for everyone else, as the private sector stock is being reallocated to social.

Its a terrible policy and very short sighted, because in a lot of these cases, the council is only renting the additional stock, not buying it.

Which means these homes are not social homes at all. They are leased to the social on a short term basis and at a crazy cost to the tax payer.

As Megaman says, the councils need to start delivering and owning their own social schemes and leave the private sector alone.

That way we will start to see rent/house prices decline in the private sector, as more supply hits the private sector market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Social Housing delivery has increased substantially, with over 10,200 social homes delivered last year across Build, Acquisition and Lease delivery streams representing almost 90% of the target for 2022, despite a challenging environment of supply chain issues along with construction cost and interest rate increases. This includes almost 7,500 new build homes (83% of target for the year). Last year also saw the first full year of affordable housing delivery in over a decade, with strong delivery achieved. This year is off to a good start, with a total of 7,349 homes commenced in the first quarter of the year, representing the highest number of homes commenced in Q1 since the series began in 2014 and a 5% increase on Q1 2022. The pipeline of social and affordable homes is strong with over 19,000 new-build social homes either on site or at design and tender stage and over 2,700 more local authority affordable homes already approved for funding, along with further affordable housing being planned by the Land Development Agency (LDA) and Approved Housing Bodies (AHB). 

This is an extract from the Housing For All progress report on the first quarter of 2023. Now I'm not an apologist for Government policy but the video stated that there is no social or affordable housing delivery. You could argue that there isn't enough, but it is just not true to say there is none. And that was my point, the video contained misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They're building tiny pockets of social housing, not anything like enough. How many thousands are homeless and in the council housing list?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You keep refusing to actually confront the massive elephant in the middle of your argument though — which is the fact that housing policy would not even cater for the entire Irish born population, never mind migrants. If you swapped all the Irish people living abroad with all the foreign-born population, the same issue is there.

• Advertisement

What was the issues that caused the housing crisis in the decades from independence to the 1970s?

And what happened to relieve those issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Why are you counting Irish abroad when they aren't included in the census?

If you dont figure on building less homes, you need to keep the investors sweet then because they are the ones funding the new developments!

Your points contradict each other.

You say you want rid of investors who are funding new homes, but at the same time you expect the number of new homes to magically stay the same, or even increase, when nobody is financing them. Lol.

I am hoping you are still at school and haven't studied economics yet.

As has been pointed out to you numerous times, we need migrants to provide services and economic growth and to retain our exceptional private sector employment.

Meta, Google, Apple etc would not be here if it were not for our ability to atrract foreign labour from Europe, The US, APAC etc.

There is zero chance that caps will be introduced on people moving to the country, so its a waste of oxygen proposing it.

Acquisition and Lease 

Buying from the private market, thereby leaving less houses for others to buy, and leasing private houses at massive rents which will never be owned by the state, and will just go back into private ownership when the lease is finished.

brilliant policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'd kind see that as a bit of a red herring also, given that the emigration has been far more gradual. If the housing shortage was being caused because by the factors you mention it'd be relevant, but really it's a bit like Holly Cairns statement. It sounds good, but it's really irrelevant.

I don't know with some of ye, ye just don't accept that there is a lot of immigration and that it's very hard to provide housing for immigrants when you've no idea how many will come. If ye know how to do it ye definitely should be in government.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter.

governments are aware of the amount of births every year, failing to provide for our own population has caused this problem

I'm not quite sure what you mean here but the contention being made by the other poster is that population growth caused by immigration makes it impossible for the government to formulate housing policy because they cannot assess the population-based needs. It's therefore fair to point to the fact that this is disregarding the 1m+ people born in Ireland who now live abroad — and current supply of housing would not cater for them even if you swapped out the foreign-born population for them. So blaming immigration for being the cause of the "inability" to plan, and therefore as the root cause of the housing crisis, is selective.

It's not the government(s) that provide houses, it's the private sector. The government has failed to create the conditions that allow a robust construction market to operate. They've kicked the can down the road numerous times; they've created social safety net policies that have aggravated the problem. They have lately accepted massive numbers of immigrants adding fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Demand might be exacerbating the problem but has in no way caused it. As you say yourself, government inaction is the prime cause. Also, the vast bulk of new housing is usually bought by Irish citizens - immigrants invariably choose to rent, many because they have the intention of returning home at some point in future (it's more of an Irish cultural thing to own your own home).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

I see department of housing has expressed "concerns" that asylum seekers are presenting as "homeless" straight off the plane.

So we now literally have to house the third world in the middle of a housing crisis. Isn't that just great.

Irrelevant? So emigration is irrelevant because it's been "more gradual", which I take it to mean then that you see immigration as more sudden — and we are talking about a housing crisis that has been a feature for a decade now in a context where 11,000 homes were built in 2014 causing years of backlog. But immigration, being more sudden, is the cause of this very sudden crisis that's been going on for ten years.

Like I just don't get the argument here. Reduce immigration so the shortage of housing doesn't look like a shortage anymore because there are less immigrants thus less demand even though the I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-A-Shortage still wouldn't cater for the population actually born in Ireland?

The problem with this argument is that its a ham-fisted attempt to shoehorn immigration into a more prominent place on the list of causes than it ought to be — and clumsily disregards the factual inconsistencies that this line of argument creates. By all means, yes, it's perfectly fine to say immigration has an effect on demand — but what we have in Ireland is a demonstrable longstanding lack of supply.

For decades governments solved the housing issues by providing houses themselves, not taking them from the private market.

They have then brought in certain policies that inflate the prices of those (few) private houses.

I think most people would agree, if there wasn't housing issues, there would be a lot less complaints about immigration.

Your dream of Council workers building homes like they did 40 years ago isn't going to come to back.

Infact, the council buying up houses from housing stock (stock that is built privately) is just more interference into the creation of a housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, treating demand as the main problem and not the lack of supply is a somewhat odd way of looking at things. One could hardly respond to hospital bed shortages or lack of school places by claiming 'there are clearly too many people in the country....we need to make the population smaller, in order to make the problem go away'.

The demand, coming from a massive influx of non eu people, is something like the Low Hanging Fruit that the government can indeed, control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

The new normal! Is there anything hotter in our utterly dysfunctional housing market at the minute than housing refugees? Out you go paddy, I've bunk beds coming.

#totally sustainable!

It’s also putting pressure on Wicklow County Council’s housing section, where we actually have people being asked to leave rental accommodation where the landlord can make ten grand a month instead of two grand a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd say there's probably scope for some control, especially around visas.

After that I'm not so sure.

What other countries controlled immigration? What did they do and what did it cost? How effective was it?

You know the stuff usually looked at when considering a change of policy.

We need to build more houses, not reduce employment migration. (which we cant do anyway, even if we wanted to)

Nobody is saying we have enough houses at present. We need to build more.

But we need more migrants to provide services for the current population and we need more migrants to help build the houses you keep talking about.

As i said on the last post, there arent going to be any caps on EU migration anyway, so you are shaking your fist at clouds.

You really have no understanding of how the economy works and how reliant we are on migrant workers to keep the show on the road and the tax take bulging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You don’t seem to realise what has happened regarding house completions since 2008,

10,200 social and affordable houses is not going to make up for all those houses that should of been built in the last decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement