Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

You say that "The A spine will be one of the biggest blows to the communities in the Dublin City region"

If you break it down into specifics, on both the North and South side, the A spine is going to be a big improvement on what's currently available, especially when the physical infrastructure will be completed which will cut journey times.

The A spine will provide more frequent, more direct and more diverse cross-city routes for communities. They will be 24/7 services, also an improvement on the current limited 41 and 15 routes being 24/7.

The 1 currently ends on Shaw Street. The A1, its replacement, will run out to Knocklyon. That's an improved direct cross city connection. 

The 41 (currently every 20 mins) will be replaced by the more frequent A4 (every 12 minutes). There's another big positive change. 

The A3 provides DCU with its own very frequent bus route that terminates there, which is a big improvement on the infrequent 44 that is currently there. On the other side of the city, the A3 will provide a very frequent connection between Tallaght, Templeogue and Terenure (every 12 minutes) Big improvement compared to the 65 bus once every 2 hours currently and the other very infrequent 65B. 

The A2 and A4 will run to Dundrum Town Centre, which is a big improvement in connectivity to Dundrum from areas like Portobello, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Rathfarnham and Ballinteer. Dundrum is a major trip generator in the area but is only served by one very frequent one bus route from town currently, the 14. Currently, the 16 illogically ends at the Kingston Roundabout in Ballinteer, with no direct connection to one of the largest shopping centres in Ireland which is only down the road. The current setup makes no sense. If the 16 were extended to the shopping centre, passengers numbers would hugely increase. Busconnects is going to fix this anomaly, which is a great improvement. The A4 will also bring back a direct bus connection to Nutgrove Shopping Centre from town, which was lost a few years ago under Network Direct. Another good change.

The thing I don't like with the narrative on Busconnects is that people say things like "this will be terrible, it's going to destroy the community". Comments like this are incredibly generalised, vague, nebulous and lacking in any specifics. If you break it down, there's nothing substantial underpinning it, only an irrational fear of change. If you actually look at the specifics of the changes, there are alot of positive changes that will really improve connectivity. 

Yes, people have a right to object to their gardens being CPO'd. However, this is being done to cut bus journey times. It's being done for a good reason. It shouldn't take 1 hour 20 minutes to travel only 5km by bus from Rathfarnham to town. Yet that's what currently happens and some people bizarrely want to keep the status quo.

Don't get me wrong, there are faults with busconnects. I think the NTA could have been more ambitious re CPOing land and examined building demolition at certain pinch points. They should have stood up to residents associations which were never active for years and then all of a sudden come out of the woodwork with very generalised statements like "this is going to destroy the community" when they can't specifically explain why this is the case. The NTA should introduce tri-axle double decker buses like the Volvo B8L in Singapore that can hold nearly 140 people versus the current Dublin Buses that carry 90 people. But for the most part, Busconnects is a big improvement on what's there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

The 19 seems like a strange route to me. It goes to the airport but it's only every hour. It also takes long a long diversion into Ballymun (like the 13 currently does) and another shorter one into Wadelai (like the 11). It's won't even be particularly useful to airport staff unless they are lucky enough for their shifts to align with the infrequent schedule. No one going to the airport to city centre would be crazy enough to take it either.

IMO every hour is far too infrequent for a city bus service to actually be useful. Was this just route just put in place to appease residents or something? The vast majority of new routes in Bus Connects seem well thought out but this one is an exception.

It would make more sense to have this route terminate in Ballymun and extend the E1 to the airport instead - or split the E1 into E1 and E3 with the E3 going to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 19 is there as a community bus route, replacing the 11 along Home Farm Road and in Wadelai Estate, and the 13 along the southern half of Balbutcher Lane. These routes do serve a community purpose, mainly to facilitate elderly or less mobile passengers, and in some circumstances an hourly service is fine. They aren't the high profile routes, but they are important from a PSO perspective.

The route was extended to serve the airport after the final consultation, and you are right, at that stage it really ought to have been increased to every 20 minutes to give a reasonable service to/from the airport.

I take your community route point. It does cover a few areas that may have otherwise meant long walks for people with reduced mobility (Home Farm Road/Griffith Avenue area for example).

Even with a higher frequency it makes no sense for that route to serve the airport though. Very few elderly or less mobile passengers will be taking this bus to the airport. The vast majority of people getting Dublin Bus routes from the airport fall into these three groups (in my experience of taking them regularly):

• Airport/airline staff living in northside suburbs
    • Airport passengers travelling (light) to northside suburbs
    • Staff and airport passengers travelling to the city centre and further afield

The first and second groups should theoretically be the main beneficiaries of the 19 running to the airport. However as I mentioned previously it's just too infrequent to be useful to many. Most staff living on the 19 route will probably continue getting the Swords Road buses (and the N4/N6 if necessary). Neither of these groups are likely to include to elderly/less mobile passengers either; they will be driving or getting taxis.

No one in the third group in their right mind would take the 19. The 16 can be slow enough as it is, the 19 is even more indirect.

That's why extending the E1 to the airport makes far more sense, it benefits all three groups.

The 24 while also very indirect, is at least frequent enough (every 20 minutes) to be useful.

You’d be surprised how many people actually do manage to build their day around low frequency routes such as this. It’s more than you think. The 47 is a good example of this.

As for the E1 - I think you’d risk making the Airport element too popular from the rest of the Spine (southside) at the expense of people using it to get to points in Phibsboro, Glasnevin and the Ballymun Road from the city centre and points south which is the main purpose of the route.

Any route from the Ballymun Road to the Airport probably needs to be a lower profile (radial) one rather than a key Spine route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Extending the E1 down through Northwood (soon one of the most populated parts of the city) and on to the airport would be a huge win and bring a bus service to an area that badly needs it.

A second, but lesser option would be to continue it to the new D4 terminus and loop there. This would allow a transfer on the Swords Rd. to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BusGuy

I'm not saying that BusConnects is a bad project or anything but like when the northern half of the 44 is going to be removed, it is likely it it will either terminate at Parnell Square or Earlsfort Terrace like the 40 currently is. However, for those who need to go to the DCU/Whitehall region, they have to wish farewell for a direct service from Millmount Terrace to the City, as the S4 only goes to Rathgar, which from there you have to interchange with the 15 and the other routes to get to the City. I guess time is valuable and I mean, very valuable here.

Keep in note that the 44D operates a morning service only (to the city) (06:30, 07:30)

Will the A2 and A4 terminate where the 14 and the 74 are or L25 and the 44B are? I can't think of any other place where the 2 buses can terminate.

To go with the Driver Recrumient, RTÉ reported that Dublin Bus needs more female drivers, could this link to busConnects? Only 6% are female drivers, so this has no link with BusConnects if you look at the statistics from an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

>they have to wish farewell for a direct service from Millmount Terrace to the City

Aside from the luas you mean, I'm fairly sure the luas runs a direct service from Windy Arbor to the City. If they were continuing to DCU they could even go to Broadstone, and jump on an E1 or E2 which passes by DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

To be honest numerous posters now have given you the alternatives to the current routes.

I fail to see how you continually beat the same drum at this stage.

While some areas of the city may lose the direct service they currently have, if you look at the overall picture the vast majority are being replaced by high frequency feeder routes connected to high frequency spine routes. I recall recently with the removal of the 75 for example there were complaints that the requirement for some areas to use connecting buses would increase journey times, it did the opposite and has decreased them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

More drivers regardless of gender links to bus connects seeing as it needs more drivers so I'm not sure what point your trying to make here about stats and an angle

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Probably meant that due to BC we need more drivers to launch new phases. Women are expecting lower wages and it's an exciting job to them while men are usually more pragmatic. Linking with BC would make sense in the beginning, but not now, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are there many buses on the A spine that skip the airport like the current 41c and 33?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Notice a lot of bunching on the S4 last night I saw two S4s right behind one another coming out of UCD. So buses are obviously leaving the terminus right behind each other.

Regularly see three or four of them bunched together on the Kylemore Road also. Surely more effort should be made to keep an even headway on this service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The A2, the 16 replacement, will be the only A route bus to go to the airport!

Which is a major failure of BusConnect IMO.

The A2 will have a frequency of every 12 minutes, versus 10 minutes of the 16. But worse the 41 replacement will no longer go to the Airport!

Between the 16 and 41 we had 9 bus an hour going from the city to the airport, now it will only be 5, a massive reduction in service!

There will be other super indirect, low frequency buses like the 19/24, but I think this is not at all good enough and will turn the A2 into a complete neighbour, more so then even the 16!

Either the A2's frequency needs to be reduced to 6 minutes or an alternative PSO service put in place, like the semi stopping service I mentioned in the past.

Agree, the airport should see A1, D4, E1 (via Northwood). 22 should be A5 and a new 22 could be with a variation in Swords, but through the airport and lower frequency. 19 could do to Harristown depot.

As I posted above, I really would not be sending the E1 to the Airport, for the simple reason that it could put too many Airport passengers on the bus at the expense of people who really need it - people along the Ballymun corridor. That corridor will only have the E1 & E2 and these have significant traffic generators as it is along it.

Far better to add an extra radial route from the city for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

From my point of view the Bus Connects project is really about keeping buses on the main routes and taking them out of local housing estates. Where I live, we are served by the 83. It is going to cause a much longer walk for elderly/mobility challenged customers to make appointments at the Mater hospital and other hospitals.

How do you make that out?

The 23 & 24 will cover pretty much all of the existing northside sections of the 83/a - they’re certainly not keeping to main roads, and the 82 will cover everything on the southside except the current terminus at Stannaway Avenue and the two stops on Captain’s Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

An E3 Brides Glen-Airport would make logical sense would put extra capacity on the N11 and Ballymun corridor and most importantly give the airport extra capacity.

That could work - any airport trips need to be extra to what is in the plan to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Would serving the airport not be a key feature of busconnects?

The car parks can often be full at the airport as it is. Once the passenger cap is lifted, there are going to be a lot of people getting dropped off/collected at the airport via car if they arent on a bus/taxi.

The point I’m making is that the schedules in BusConnects are predicated on the loadings on the routes planned as they are.

If you extend the E1 to the Airport then you’re going to need more frequency along the corridors served by that route, as it will have far more people using it, at the expense of those people who have no other alternative along the N11 and particularly the Ballymun corridors.

The 23/24 are a significant improvement to the 83 on the Northside. I can't see how anyone loses out. The 83 doesn't server the Mater anyway.

Tolka Estate will go from the 83a once an hour (off-peak only) to the 23 every 20 minutes.

The North part of Ballygall Road East and Willow Park will also benefit as there is (almost) no bus route serving there currently.

The overall frequency will also be an improvement on the 83 - from approximately every 15 minutes to a combined frequency across the 23 and 24 of 10 minutes.

The only "loss" in the city centre is the 23/24 won't go down the Quays and Westmoreland Street/D'Olier Street but it makes far more sense to change buses rather than have the buses going in such a roundabout route.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Surely anyone travelling on the E1 to the airport in the future will switch to Metro at Stephen's Green or the Mater?

Linking the A spine to the airport makes more sense as it doesn't serve the Metro.

These bus route changes will happen years before the Metro - the E Spine will be this year.

I’m talking about now, not in 10 years time, that’s a whole different argument,

E1 could be split to E3 to the airport and E1 unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Surely generating more traffic is exactly what is needed. And having a reduction planned on the Swords Rd means more capacity will be needed to the airport.

This will require a higher frequency for sure, but the airport already slams capacity on the 16 and 41 a certain times of the day, so much so people are left behind.

This will be worse with BC. By extending the E1 through Northwood and on to the airport (a no brainier considering how close it is), and that it will link up a whole massive spine with a 24 hour service to the airport (brilliant for workers), it really should be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭forrestgeorge

Is it the E that will be going to Bray?

If so you should know it will be a disaster and here is why.

Going south there are 4 ways into Bray, Woodbrook, Fassaroe, Herbert road and Southern cross, the big brains at the NTA/Council want to close the Herbert Road😮.

On its own this would be a disaster, but add to it that two HUGE (3,000+ units) housing development are underway just north of Bray at Crinken and at the old juvenile prison you will add massive traffic to the approaches to Bray from Shankill, then we have another housing development down near Bray Harbor with access opposite the Coach in and Bray Bridge, the E will take an age to get from Loughlinstown to Bray terminus.

But hold on there is more, unbelievable but the big brains at the NTA/Council want to make the 21 bends road off N11 to Enniskerry one way, so all the Enniskerry to or from Bray traffic will probably have to use the Ballyman road and old connaught road that comes out right beside the first bus stop entering Bray, adding extra traffic to an already gridlocked stretch of road.

Absolute chaos awaits once the new housing and road changes happen, I confidently predict that the E will be the most posted about route in the years ahead , it will be daily insanity on the routes Bray end.

Advertisement