Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭dmcdona

How many Israeli citizens (not combatants) have died since Oct 7th?

How many Israeli citizens have died since Oct 7th?

This genocidal campaign by Israel has gone well beyond self defence - everyone knows this. The US said it months ago.

With Gaza nothing more than a dust bowl, do you seriously think there is going to be an attack from Hamas? Do you reckon they have a few tasty F35's and Abram's tanks snuggled up in their tunnels?

Best they'd manage I reckon is a couple of Vespas and some well dodgy AK47s - easily taken out by IDF snipers.

Snipers who coincidentally are certainly master marksmen given the practice they've had with nuns, surrendering civilians and even a few sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But all those protestors at the Palestinian marches are only calling for Israel to call a ceasefire. Where are the signs for Hamas to release hostages or call a ceasefire? There are none. Therefore it's an endorsement for Hamas.

an actual anti war, pro Palestinian march would be calling both sides to cease-fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

At what point in history do you think that the Irish should have just given up fighting for independence?

• Advertisement

Israel just said the quiet part out loud - they actually never gave a hoot about the hostages - just pure retribution based on hate.

The irony 85 years later is palpable...

Haaretz:

Far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said returning Israeli hostages held by Hamas in Gaza is not the most important objective of the war, adding that statements calling for their release at any cost are "wrong and irresponsible," and that the only way to secure the captives' return was to apply more military pressure on Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

That's quite a leap in logic to say that the absence of signs at protests you likely weren't at are an endorsement of Hamas. But given you have posted before that the Gardaí regularly publicly strip and humiliate groups of men it's not really surprising that you'd just make things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭thereiver

If there is no ceasefire what happens next 1000s of civilian casualties including Israeli hostages civilians are starving Israel needs to have a ceasefire and allow food water and medicine to be given to the civilians that are still alive at this point most of Gaza has been destroyed and left in ruins there's a vote going thru Congress to provide billions in aid to Ukraine it also will give billions in military aid to Israel to continue the war

Biden does not approve of the present Israeli government but seems to be helpless to stop the Idf bombings of civilians or to make them have a temporary ceasefire

The Idf policy seems to be demand that Hamas surrender and hand over all the hostages or else there,ll be an intense military attack of the remaining civilian population

Meanwhile civilians are starving and there's alack of water and basic supplys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I wouldn’t be familiar enough with Irish history before the 20th century. In terms of the provos they had victories that the Palestinian side never had such as the hunger strike. The provos had successes while the history of Palestinian resistance is one of constant defeat.

Didn't the Irish armed resistance movement go troughs of little armed resistance and concentrated on constitutional movements like the home rule movement? In Israel it’s being constant war with little attention paid to non armed remediation.

if you think there is any hope in continuing Palestinian resistance I see zero evidence myself. That war is lost, long lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

No, they are not part of that mindset. This is why I qualified my comment with the term "the general Israeli mindset", which implies that it is the majority of Israelis, but not all, who share that opinion.

I loudly applaud those Israelis, and Jewish people around the world, who are vocal and demonstrating against the current military action. They are obviously not brainwashed into the Zionism mind virus that is responsible for the current atrocities.

• Advertisement

Well in the middle of the 17th century, 20-40% of the population was lost in about a decade due to Cromwell and diseases and famines resulting from that. Perhaps we should have given up then and accepted our status as lesser beings forevermore?

The discrepancy between the figures 20-40% coming from estimates due to the lack of proper records.

To Hell or Connacht Barbados Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ok, that’s fine. Personally I wouldn’t be a big “lessons from history” man. I think the last 20 years of history is all that really matters and that’s within a given situation: not comparing Ireland in the 17th century to Israel in the 21st. That would be just a personal thing.

We’ll find out anyway where more decades of Palestinian resistance will get them I’m sure. I don’t know how you see it but I see many many more years of war there.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Tune in next week when we hear how one Israeli citizen living in the US is in fear of their life after claiming to have received a whopping 20 robo-caller scam attempts in the last month in an obviously antisemitic campaign of harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,525 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

One would have to hope that the international community will look back at its failure to stop the current genocide and do more to prevent another one in the future. Eventually, you would have to hope, things will change (if any Palestinian is left living)

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

El Al stressed that:

"the disturbances are not aimed at El Al planes and that this is not a security incident. The disruption did not affect the normal course of the flight thanks to the professionalism of the pilots who used alternative means of communication and allowed the flight to continue on the planned route."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,525 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

A mere 24 hours ago we had lads telling us that the Palestinians should leave Rafah and head to safer places like Mawasi where they would be safe

Well guess what's happening in Mawasi

It's genocide!

I've observed them all, for certain reasons, not a participant.

Well, no sorry, I did miss one

Oh I've observed them. And please don't make up things I didn't say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭gossamerfabric

The point i am making is that Israelis, both Government and Citizens do not feel safe at all in general.

You did say it. For anyone who doesn't remember this particularly bizarre attempt at normalising IDF abuses of Palestinians, the discussion was in the context of photos that were posted of the IDF forcing a large group of Palestinian men to kneel on the ground stripped down to their underwear.

Nope. I said It's quite normal for police forces to put people on the ground, other posters disagreed, included one who's cousin is in the ERU, he claimed, and his cousin said Irish police would never do it because amnesty would be all over them.

I then posted a video, an ERU training video, that showed people cable-tied, face down on the ground.

because that's what police forces do.

I also posted about when clothes could be taken from prisoners at a crime scene.

So, quite normal behaviour for police when dealing with criminals and potential armed prisoners. I

So please don't lie about my posts again

Fair enough. I've only seen what's on the BBC/RTE and only probably only a few seconds worth.

What protesters protest about is entirely up to them. I wouldn't judge them on the basis of placards they are carrying, or not carrying, what scarfs they are wearing or not wearing. Its entirely up to them. If they want to carry "Hamas out!" cards, I'd be supportive of that myself. But I wouldn't judge them on what they weren't carrying.

Bear in mind, the news regarding Israel that people are reading/seeing/hearing in the few minutes they have each day is wall to wall about the deaths of Palestinian civilians. That is what they are protesting - protect the innocent. They probably know nothing more about the conflict.

It does not mean they are Hamas supporters though. And they see that there is only one attacking force - the ones with tanks, F16s, soldiers etc is Israel - that's why they call for an Israeli ceasefire. They don't see Hamas fighters running around, in tanks, flying jets and bombing Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Die hard pro-Israeli, Pro Palestinian, anti violence/genocide people will be better informed regarding the nuances of this campaign that only get a few seconds airing on the main news - and the understand that Hamas is a terrorist organisation and what they did Oct 7th was abhorrent and utterly condemnable. And Israel is perfectly entitled to go after them.

How Israel goes about that is where the disagreements and polarisation starts.

You literally tried to normalise public humiliation of a group of Palestinians by saying the Gardaí do this all the time with terrorist prisoners and then started all these mental gymnastics when multiple people called you out over it. Continue on digging though, I couldn't care less.

I doubt very much this incident was anything more than an observable event - the reason it makes Israelis nervous is because that suits them. When there are videos of the Israelis lining up the deck chairs, firing up the barbecue and getting the music on so they can see the slaughter in Gaza, they are most certainly not afraid.

I'd bet the Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank feel far less safe.

Seems Israel's got the hump with Ireland. No mention of all the other EU states (except Hungary) calling for ceasefire.

Relations Between Ireland & Israel Hit Unprecedented Low | Daniel O'Dowd | The Blogs (timesofisrael.com)

So, only the US voting against. All others, bar the UK, voted for - UK abstained.

Consensus is getting closer.

As reported here by other posters, but worth highlighting that IDF have been instructed not to film revenge videos.

Note - the instruction was not "do not carry out revenge killing", just make sure you don't film it.

So crack on lads - keep sniping women, surrendering civilians (in the back), take out as many sheep as you can and double points if any of the kids are less than 12 months old.

Utterly depraved and the stain on Israel darkens further.

IDF Chief of Staff Herzl Halevi called on army officers to uphold certain values while fighting in Gaza. "We must be careful not to use force where it is not required, to distinguish between terrorist and non-terrorist, not to take anything that is not ours – a souvenir or military item – and not to film revenge videos," he wrote to senior officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Advertisement