Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mink trapping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Page 20

Bounty Schemes: Historically, bounty schemes do not work (Wittenberg & Cock, 2001). Bounties are considered to be counter-productive to more efficient, longer-term options, utilize resources better spent elsewhere, have the potential to result in fraud, and usually result in no appreciable reduction in the number of pest animals. This is particularly the case where individuals make an income from them and, in order to maximise their profit margins, will remain in high-density mink areas and avoid low-density areas. This has been the case in Iceland (Hersteinsson, 1999) where mink populations have continued to grow despite there being a long-term bounty scheme in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

How are they to be controlled so. The few I catch is only covering a small area. A dedicated team in each county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Firstly, I don't think we can compare bounty schemes in different Countries. They would be done very differently in say Iceland, than what was done in this Country.

Here, we have gun clubs trapping their own townlands, and that is done throughout the Country, and not just paid trappers focusing on mink hot spots.

Funny enough, that review mentions Icelands bounty scheme not working. Here is a more recent article stating that mink numbers are dropping considerably, in that Country.

https://hakaimagazine.com/features/the-mysterious-decline-of-icelands-american-invader/

The dedicated teams, are supposed to be the gun clubs. On paper, that should work well, but where that falls short, is area's that don't have clubs, and built up area's like towns and city's where nobody tend to set traps.

I've stated here before, that mink numbers are way down in my area. Last four years have seen a huge drop in numbers. Wonder what the NARGC figures are for tails handed in, say the last ten years. That would be a very interesting chart to see.

And fishing clubs. Not working too well where I fish. I am not the only trapping mink and yet there seems to be an endless supply of the critters. An increase in the bounty would help cut down on numbers you would think. Let lads make a few quid on them. Help pay for petrol,traps etc.. It's trying to get the straddlers might be the problem. Don't catch them and the cycle begins again.

Yes, they really need to be hit in spring/summer, before the young are born. Also the bounty should have been paid to anyone, whether in a gun club or not. That would entice more people to get involved.

Would there be any advantage in setting two traps side by side.

Well, not exactly side by side, but in close proximity, yes. Gang setting is common enough in the USA. In "hotspots," like around bridges, where a drain enters the river/stream, tree riots, rock piles etc, its worth setting more than one trap, incase a second mink passes through, after a catch, or if you catch a rat, and a mink passes through afterwards.

Make sure the traps are not set too close though, or you'll end up with one mink, in two traps. That results in a disadvantage. Causes a mess, and time wasting.

As you mentioned a drain going in to a river. Would the drain be a better place for a cage or the main river.

• Advertisement

Right where both meet, is a hotspot for a any trap to be used. Its a junction of mink travel ways, and you'll often see mink scat around these junctions. They stop here, and mark their territories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I remember years ago a few of the farmers local to me tried trapping mink when we were having hassle at lambing time and mink were being blamed.

but they used to say after a mink is trapped he p*ss’s all over the trap and the smell stops other mink going near it. Any truth to that?

No, quite the opposite. The best, bar none, mink bait/attractant, is another minks smell. You are more likely to catch another mink straight after a catch. Sometimes you'll get three or four mink in a row, in the same trap. It is that good, I often bring a fresh caught mink, around to different area's I'm trapping, and rub it around my other sets. Rub until you get that lovely mink musk smell lol.

Is the Goodnature A18 mink trap legal in this country? Would it kill a mink?

It will kill a mink no problem IF a mink is willing to stick its head into it. It would be legal. Not a foot hold trap, and kills outright, means it's legal. Doubt it would survive a bit of flooding mind

Would it survive a being drenched. What can go wrong with it if it gets a drenching.

Have you handled one Eddie.

Rain wouldn't affect it at all I'd say, but submersion due to flooding might cause problems. Rusting of the inner works for one.

I've never handled one myself. I've heard positive, and negative things about them. A lot of lads who've tried them over here and the UK, have said, that rats totally ignored the trap.

When it comes to mink, the biggest thing is that you may have no idea whether you've killed a mink or not with this trap. A mink will flap around after being struck by the bolt, which is how this trap works. He will flap around, and probably end up in the river. Same goes for a rat or squirrel. You'll have lots of hits, but little to no carcasses.

But would a mink stick it's head in? I don't want it for rats. What bait would you use for a mink. Pity the CO2 cylinder is sticking out. Very prone to getting damaged

Yes, that's what I'm wondering. Would he indeed. Doubt it! I don't see them being used for wild ferret in New Zealand.

Bait, they tend to promote special paste for rats and squirrel. I've not seen any promoted for mink. See these pastes last for ages in the trap without going off, and without having to be changed or refilled. Goes with the whole idea of the trap not having to be reset, for weeks or months at a time.

• Advertisement

If the trap was disguised or surrounded by something like ivy, I bet a mink would put its head in out of curiosity to check the bait out. They have a more aggressive nature compared to squirrels which is why it is so easy to trap them. Surely someone must have tested it out on mink.

Maybe, but I've seen any evidence of it. It does work for squirells. Plenty using it for them. Biggest issue, is that it works well on hedgehogs too.

I didn't think of the hedgehogs. The shape of the A18 leaves me to believe that it was designed for squirrels and squirrels only. I presume reds get the same fate as greys. I suppose if it was redesigned to work horizontally and use some sort of hedgehog excluder it may work. The way they have put the co2 cylinder on to it is very strange.

Yes true, a box with some sort of restriction, may help with regards hedgehogs. They should make a decent squirrel trap, as you said. Up on a tree trunk, away from none target's. Difference between here, and most of the UK is that A, we have a lot more reds, and B, we have a lot more pine marten. Pine marten like peanut butter too. That kind of leaves the trap unsuitable for most parts of this country.

Only way I can see these been usable here for mink, and you reminded me of it, is using it in a wooden box, with a hole in one end. You would have to check regularly though, as the dead mink would remain in the box.

But you would not have to check it as often. Maybe once a week. If an area was cleared of mink then only the odd invader would appear. So maybe creating an area completely free of mink by continuously removing any strays. What bait would you use for it.

You would, if using a box. The dead mink would block it up. This is why I wouldn't dream of investing in one.

Bait, fish oil maybe? Wouls a mink stick its head in the trap for a bit of oil? Nowhere to put actual solid bait. They have a squirrel bait/liquid, but doubt they'll have a mink bait of any kind. One that would stay fresh for weeks at a time.

• Advertisement

Let it block it up. What harm would it be doing. Not the best in the summer but the winter would be ok. Refresh it with fish oil once a week.

If it blocks the hole up, then nothing else can get in, therfore the trap is no better than a fifteen euro Fenn trap. Not worth paying out two hundred or more euro, for something that may end up being absolutely useless.

I know but the chances of catching more than one mink a week throughout the year is slim. And as more are caught less and less will be caught.

Will the fenn trap kill them quickly?

Post edited by minktrapper on

The fenn wouldn't be at the top of the list for killing quickly, but it's hard bet when it comes to catching imo.

Best plan of attack? Timber tunnel trap?

• Advertisement

I like timber tunnels. Used as a tunnel, and not a mink box or cubby. Tunnel opened both ends.

Timber tunnels can work very well, especially if you can find a spot where a mink doesn't have many other options, bar go through that tunnel. With either a fenn or conibear in the middle, set in the right location, you will take every mink that runs that bank. No need for lure, bait or anything.

I have a couple of little spots on the rivers I trap, that are perfect for a tunnel set. Ditch that runs right down to the waters edge, with a steep bank on the river. So say, a drop off from the end of the ditch to the water. I will set the tunnel on the ditch, say going through the ditch, and then block off any holes in the ditch around where my tunnel is. Any mink that comes down that bank will use the tunnel, because its the easiest way for him to get through the ditch.

What length of tunnel? What size of opening on the tunnel?

Not a hundred percent sure what mine are. Maybe two foot. Hole seventy to eighty millimeters. Preferably round holes.

Would they work on a ledge under a bridge? Best bait?

No bait. That's handy. Do you get many rats? Do you have to make the ledge accessible for them or do they find it themselves. Which ledge is better upstream or downstream.

It would have to be a ledge close to ground level. Easy for a mink to pop onto it when running the bank. I have perfect one on one of my stops. Mink use it regularly. I'd set both sides, if there's a ledge both sides.

Would they go over it often I wonder. Would you get many rats?

Get the odd rat. If the conditions are right, mink will use them a lot. The ledge I set the most, is actually under a dry bridge. Well it's a third bridge that is there to prevent flooding. I've caught mink on that ledge when thre is water underneath it, and even when it's practically dry.

• Advertisement

Some good information there on mink and mink sign.

I presume it is whatever ledge is in line with the river bank will be used most by mink. Would you leave it empty for a period to let wildlife get used to it.

Good info on mink alright. Not too sure the information on otters is correct though. I saw an otter near one of my mink cages lately. Next day I had a mink in the cage. Maybe they haven't set out their territories yet.

Otters have always been been plentiful here. In the UK the otter population was until recently, not as healthy as ours. In recent years, there has been a major increase in otters there, at the same time, mink numbers have dropped. They say its because of the increase in otters. I don't think they have any hard evidence, that this is the case.

Is it the mark 4 fenn you use Eddie?

No, the MK6. The MK4 is a bit small for a buck mink

Ok. The mark 6 it is so.

I have a video or two on setting them in tunnels, and in holes in the banks. I can stick them up here if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Here's one with a tunnel set up, using a Fenn trap.

Post edited by Eddie B on

• Advertisement

Dalm it. I've forgotten how to embed a video

Edited to add, I got it sorted

Post edited by Eddie B on

Advertisement