Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We get that you want to stop all migration and you have no understanding of the impact that would have on our services and economy.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But I will leave it there as far as discussion is concerned.

What wont change is our ability to attract staff to work here from the EU, as much as you might wish it so.

I think there will be restrictions on Asylum migration in the future, but people from the EU and skilled folks with visa entry, absolutley not.

So its really a pipe dream you are harbouring which will never occur.

Hopefully it doesnt take you another 10 years to realise that.

And for anyone else quoting this post that says, "we arent talking about EU migrants or returning irish migrants, we are talking about asylum seeker restrictions only" thats not at all what this poster is saying.

They are advocating "decimation" of all migrants, including irish and EU citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This and some of your other posts make no sense at all.

You keep going on about 10 years something something, not stupidity..sonething migrants .

10 years to prove what ?

That government not building any or enough houses for 10 years from 2008 and ceding control of the rental market for social and affordable housing to culture funds and other market forces will end up with the housing crisis we have now?!

That's what it shows.

Seriously need to go and read up a bit on what you are posting about , preferably beforehand.

Do you think it might have something to do with the election promises and post Brexit promises to " Stop the Boats! "?

Or that having failed to reduce migration they are now haemorrhaging support, losing local elections in an election year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Reading the article

"The Midland Tribune contacted the Garda Press Office for comment about the alleged incident. "Gardaí are investigating a number of alleged incidents which occurred on Limerick Street in Roscrea on Sunday evening, 18th February 2024."

"120 woman from the Roscrea area" , "standing in solidarity with every woman in Roscrea who had a run-in, or has been followed, or intimidated, frightened, or terrified to walk the local streets or walk on the bypass or go for a run". So there seems to be other incidents these woman are expressing concern and anger especially when promised more Gardai to the area but its only temporary.

Anyways sure there only a racist bunch just protesting for a laugh coz te foreigners...

What incidents? How many?

Anyway, the point is people going out protesting one, or maybe a couple of incidents, didn't bother their arses when gardai numbers were being reduced, or their Garda station was being downgraded. Or when other crime incidents occurred.......

Nope, wait for the foreigners to commit crime, then have a protest🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Taking in 30k refugees makes sense for Denmark and they must be confident the same issues won't arrise From the previous ones. Do yourself a favour and research why the Scandinavian countries have turned their backs on refugees from outside Europe.

Let's see what evidence is there for these " multiple incidents " you reference .

One episode which is bad enough , but the " multiple incidents being investigated" to my knowledge are surrounding this one incident ...

Also somebody else alleging migrants are " getting rapey " ...

If it is true then action is needed. Urgently.

But be aware nothing has been proven as yet and some of those women protesting have been protesting at Racket Hall since the first day and the Ms Phelan is in fact the organiser of those protests.

Wanted to display the video on Telegram !

I think I will be reserving judgement for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

They literally protested the closing of their hotel a month ago. Weeks later this is the trade off, kids being flashed in their own home by people they're now paying rent for in said hotel.

But keep peddling your shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Like this large protest in 2014 over drug crime in the town?

Or this article from December when the local TD had to raise it in the town and said

"I have been raising policing concerns in Roscrea for some time now. The view on the ground in Roscrea is that they need more garda resources and they are very worried that there is not a visible enough presence of gardaí on the streets of the town, as anti-social behaviour and drug crime continue to cause serious difficulties for the people of Roscrea"

Or the public meeting in 2016 looking for increased Garda numbers in the town to highlight growing issues with regards anti social behaviour.

Edit: third link won't be accepted for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

From 2017:

You tried to say the same thing earlier in the thread about East Wall, and I was able to show that residents of East Wall had previously passed their concerns about crime in the area on to local councillors.

So this is your second serving of humble pie.

Which Irish community will you attempt to defame next, by falsely claiming that their real concerns over crime are only disguised racism?

"Nope, wait for the foreigners to commit crime, then have a protest🙄"

You just made up it was only 1 incident on your last comment to me, mentioned from the article "Gardaí are investigating a number of alleged incidents"

How do I know about the incidents or how many, it's a gardai investigation they said a number of alleged incidents.

"Anyway, the point is people going out protesting one, or maybe a couple of incidents, didn't bother their arses when gardai numbers were being reduced, or their Garda station was being downgraded. Or when other crime incidents occurred......."

"or maybe a couple of incidents" You keep moving the goalposts, it’s so-so tiring trying to debate with you. You're the biggest race card player in here and playing it towards 120 woman and children concerned about safety is very very low Imo.

Am actually nodding my head to the gymnastically nonsense you're trying to create here -

So, people need a history of protests to not be racist, they did before vs Drug dealers etc.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/town-takes-stand-against-scourge-of-drugs/30452321.html

They had council meetings about the issues of low Gardai downgrade from just googling it.

Won't waste anymore time replying back you'll ask a million Q's, move the goal posts and deflect!!

So, the issue was the closing of their local hotel......fair enough......now those same people are protesting about a few 'incidents '

Riiiiiiiiight.....

Ok, fair enough.

the residents do complain about those issues. I stand corrected and apologise.

And I applaud the locals for their involvement. They are right and I have no issues with those protests.

Unbelievable, 120 woman have protested about multiple incidents, foreign or not it's insane some people in here are pessimistic but when a Imam says he got assaulted as a hate crime, then said he was robbed and then found his wallet and had no visible injuries on camera on his face is plastered all over the media. Even if there was an assault, it was a failed robbery but the media is having a field day lapping it up as something more sinister.

But those lying 120 woman/ children... insane

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trust me don't turn on "The Tonight Show" 🙄

Who said that and why are you posting it to me ??

You went to some pains to reassure me the other evening that you were only looking for some control and were not in favour of or would not associate with extreme protests or protestors .

This is not what you are posting here .

Do you change your mind and approach so easily or is this the real you ,reactive and calling others names without any firm proof of anything except a baying mob led by some very dubious people ?

Whether its men or women the same standard of proof for alleged crimes is needed.

If they are legitimate concerns for safety I am there with them , along with all residents of Roscrea and surrounding areas .

120( including women and children ) and why bring children to protest like this ?

Unless you're trying to teach them something that they should not be learning at a young age ?

Wait and see what comes out of this investigation before you get out the lynch rope .... Or verbally abuse other posters .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Watching it now. Just glad we have shows like this to highlight stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Could you give us a quick brief to what they're discussing exactly, and if it's balanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Except declining to artificially increase the population at a rapid rate isn't "making the population smaller".

Increasing the demand-side when you have a supply problem is not a neutral action but in fact a way of boosting the scarcity and thus the value of the supply. It's a good business strategy for developers, landlords and other asset-owners if they have zero compunction about the social chaos their profiteering causes. More demand means less houses to go around and this boost prices or at least makes them slower to go down again.

I don't think anyone believes your claim to not understand how increasing demand affects the supply-side. Since it isn't difficult to grasp, you can only be playing dumb.

The mystery is why any normal person would want to increase demand in the teeth of a supply problem.

But you never explain your motives, you just bounce from one talking point to another and claim that other people have tainted motives (e.g. xenophobia).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Lots of concern for the muslim fella. Fianna fail and sinn fein both disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Fair play I suppose for apologising, but I don't really care for it.

I have watched the proponents of this idiotic strategy deflect, ignore and use word games for long enough. A policy where defending it is literally using American right wing talking points from 20 years ago.

"They're o ly doing jobs that the [insert population type] won't do" as if people are not doing the jobs because they're lazy - not because you have to live in a direct provision centre or 15 to a house to make it viable.

"We need them to keep business sustainable" - not because the aim is to keep wages stagnant through over supply of labour.

People protesting the last potential revenue generating business in a struggling town, to be replaced with more dependants on local systems? Nah, **** them, sure they're only a bunch of auld racists anyway.

Hundreds of millions into billions of public money being handed into private hands in the name of humanitarianism - when has this government shown that they give any **** about people on the ground and why should this be any different. It's a scam and the refugees or the asylum seekers or whatever they're calling them this week sure as fuk aren't getting that money.

Companies running private prisons in the U.S. creaming it here contracting to run services for these "temporary" direct provision centres.

Business owners converting old buildings into holding centres and getting millions per month to host 5-15+ people to a room with minimum labour overheads.

NGOs and other organisations keeping this going as long as possible because if they ever solved the problem they purport to care about, they'd be out of a job.

You think you are fighting against right wing policy - this is right wing policy. Those people.are economic units, to be shifted around to make a bit more wealth for some already wealthy individual before being moved on to whoever next is in line for the money train. It is how the direct provision system has worked for the last two decades, and especially for the last 10 years.

It is an attempt to keep a broken system going for as long as possible through importation of cheap labour, and to skim as much wealth out of the public coffers before the whole thing breaks proper.

And it will break eventually, and then we'll all be equal, natives and newcomers, because we'll all be equally fuked.

All except the ones running the sham. They'll bugger off to some other idiot country to do the same all over again.

Making a very valid point

When 1 person is making an assault/hate crime claim its plastered all over the news while is seems to be a robbery attempt, thankfully not a hate crime by the looks.

When 120 woman/children are protesting to the gardai about multiple incidents within their community, hmm foreign haters, racists!!

"ah baying mob" "lynch rope" ? how the hell are you getting this image in your head, did you see the article photos?children like teenagers are fine to join protests it happens in nearly every protest.

"You went to some pains to reassure me the other evening that you were only looking for some control and were not in favour of or would not associate with extreme protests or protestors" "Do you change your mind and approach so easily or is this the real you ,reactive and calling others names without any firm proof of anything except a baying mob led by some very dubious people ?"

Where did I call anyone names?, If it came across that way to you then I didn't mean that. People here saying they're insta racist because there was only 1 incident, that was incorrect and that no protests happened before, that was incorrect too.

I don't think they're actual extreme protestors, what did they do that's so extreme in your opinion ?. If there's actual issues for women's safety, they've every right to voice their concerns as you said too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But you're speaking as if it is deliberate government or state policy to make the population bigger than what it currently is. There's no real evidence of this or that that the state has ever tried to manipulate the size of the population at any point in the last 30 or 40 years.

We've had population growth and depopulation at various points since the mid 1980s. It's all part and parcel of immigration and emigration flows. Very few countries in the world go down the route of social engineering and trying to create an optimum population figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Imagine a Govt that would go to the extreme measures (billions in funds, breaking all previous rules, emergency provision of all services, mass media campaign) to welcome home those thousands of Irish exiled by decades of incompetency. Now that would be a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Some on this thread wouldnt welcome them back anyway.

No migration allowed, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s a sad reflection that this issue is so divisive. Surely we can all agree that a limited amount of immigration is a very good thing? And that there should be limits for the sake of sustaining services and forward planning?

I think it’s all become a bit emotive, I can’t really believe a thoughtful person would believe unlimited immigration is a very good idea.

I really do hope the Roscrea incident is not what it seems to be, for everyone’s sake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement