Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

I have had 4 so far this year. I usually get anywhere up to 10 per year. So it does happen and without the changeover switch I would be sitting in a cold house with no way of cooking apart from a double socket which I initially had but found it was too restrictive.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Likewise in North Dublin in a town not rural we tend to get 2-3 power cuts a year, and thats over the last 4 years or so. Wife and kids love the fact we can still cook watch DVDs during powercut. (note the DVD bit - as in powercut we lose broadband/cable TV!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just to help you on that. I've just gone with a company today after getting quotes from 10+ companies. They aren't the cheapest by far but I think will do the best job and picked up on no earth rod etc that all other site visits didn't see. I'd say I could have got another €2,000 off with other companies if price was your main stickler.

20x panels

Alpha inverter

10kw Batteries (2x5kw)

Upgrade from 5 year to 10 year warranty on inverter

Zappi Charger install

€16,600

€14,200 (-€2,100pv -€300 EV charger)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Thanks everybody, much appreciate the posts.

Interesting comments on the need for the changeover switch. Limited experience of power cuts myself but if I could get the changeover switch done for €400 like one seller quoted, I think that would be worthwhile. (Not €400 with Huawei equipment though.)

I plug my own PHEV in every night but just tempted to get the EV charger now to avoid messing with cable runs at a later date. I want a cable long run (~20 metres).

What were ppl charged here for the Zappi as part of the PV install? (Hopefully there was some savings). Has anybody just had the cable run?

Post edited by eggerb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just got an PHEV myself and the hassle of the trickle charger at the moment. Can't wait to have it on the wall outside to plug in anytime the car is parked.

Zappi Car Charger: €1450 + VAT

Then you get 300 SEAI install grant back

• Advertisement

AFAIK it should be zero rate vat so there's that saving in itself if fitted with the installation unless that has changed. The changeover if costing €400 is something I would go for but that's only because of my outages here so it's really up to you if you think it will give you a benefit or would a double socket running off the hybrid inverter backup suffice.

Yeah, one installer today offered the socket beside the inverter option. Could definitely work for me if not as clean as the changeover switch. I took a plug off the gas boiler years ago to fit a smart switch. I’d need a plug back onto it for the extra long extension from the attic to the utility room!

Wireless EV charging will be a milestone. Just drive up onto it. Bit away for most I think though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

Wireless transfer of energy is hugely inefficient. Why do you think there's a fan on a wireless fast phone charger. Blame Nicola Tesla for putting this idea out there a century ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Just got a quote for the following, seems expensive compared to yours.

19 x 410 Watt Panels (UKS-SM144-410)

5kW of Inverter Power - SOLIS - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies

1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

5 -year Standard Warranty

Tethered Zappi

€14,175 pre grant

I don’t have a cylinder as I have a combi boiler, not sure if this is the best setup.

I’d appreciate any feedback on this.

I don’t know what type of panels they are.

Should I be adding anything else like batteries and/or changeover switch.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If your doing huawei don’t get a zappi get the huawei car charger.

Also the backup box is about 450 ex vat at the moment. I would highly recommend getting that and having the ability to power your entire house (or select circuits) from your battery’s and panels in the event of a power outage. It saved me on Christmas Day of all days.

the huawei gear really isn’t that much more expensive than comparable equipment from other brands. Post me a list of what your getting and I’ll price it up for you so you can have some data to negotiate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

It’s just a matter of running an additional cable back to your consumer unit and splitting some of the circuits out as “backup”. You’re already running one cable; tiny additional cost to run a second. And your inverter already has a backup outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zergetek

Hi, I have received the following quote:

22x435W panels + Solis 3kW hybrid inverter + 3.68kW Eddi

7830 euro after grant.

What do you think about it?

Why such a small inverter for that sized system? Get the bigger inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Are you sure you read the quote correctly? I.e. the number of panels and/or hybrid inverter. That's a 9.57kW array, way too big for a 3kW inverter. My Solis hybrid is 5kW and can handle a maximum of 8kW array, I doubt the smaller inverter can do more.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paddym88

After getting the following quotes over last couple of weeks. Let me know what ye think

Well it's a 3.6kW inverter. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FFVII_npc

Is the operating temperature range of the dyness battery an issue in reality??

Still too small for that amount of panels! What orientation are the panels going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭FFVII_npc

who even tried to pawn you off with that...I wouldn't use them just for quoting that yoke.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Push for the bigger inverter if going with them, it's not that much more cost wise. The price is good for that sized system.

Have another quote: 16 panels+ 5kw hybrid inverter+ Eddi for 7905 euro.

It seems more reasonable, right?

The first quote is best but get the bigger inverter included.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I would seriously question those amount of panels going on a 3.6kW inverter. I'm not sure of the spec of quoted inverter, but I had a hell of a time getting 10 high spec panels on 1 string of a 5kW inverter. I can't see that inverter even booting up with that much dc voltage.

Is that solar installer experienced?

Your second quote seems good to me.

Whoever you go with, especially on an e/w orientation, try and max out with panels, the roof space/inverter if budget will allow.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

With the panels split East West, 11 each, the system is unlikely to overload individual string inputs, it will for the most part be limited to about half its maximum output due to angular losses, but with a longer period of generation as the split provides a longer 'day' of peak production. East or West facing panels will produce about 79% annually of a south facing system. A ratio of panel power to inverter of 2 or more will choke or 'shave' output during peak production, to about 77% annually, not a huge difference but with a split EW system it's more like two seperate 4.8kwh arrays, working at less than max due to the sun angle as peak midday irradiance approaches, but with different a.m. and p.m. output curves for each orientation. A 3.6kw inverter has a bit of headroom, and the annual output should be about 6700kwh, not far off the expected output even with the 5kwh inverter. Overall, its not far off optimal for extended daytime home consumed production. Is the extra investment in the 5kw inverter justifiable for the extra 2% or 160kwh annually that would accrue? €40 per annum in FIT would probably pay for it, but more importantly it would be better to have an inverter operating well within its ratings, better able to handle heat dissipation and more reliable over the long term as a result. Failure times of electrical equipment are directly related to temperature stress.

Figures were obtained using this calculator.

PVWatts Calculator

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

The spec for the solis 3.6kw hybrid inverter can handle over 5kw at either string (MPPT) input, with 600v no load max voltage, a limit of 55v per panel. You'd need to check the oc voltage of the panels that are being used. It's just the operating output thats limited to 3.6 kw. All specs for the solis 3.6 are identical to the 5kw, except its ability to push higher current onto the grid. It's worth upgrading for the heat dissipation and current capacity headroom. There should be minimal difference in the price. I'm assuming the model quoted is this.

There was an error in the quote. They supply a 5k Solis hybrid inverter.

22x435 Longi panels + 5kw Solis hybrid inverter + Eddi for 7830euro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd go for it.

Proof that there is good quotes still out there, and about 750€/kwp if you don't count the eddi.

Once you get it installed and if your happy to recommend the installer, PM me and I can put them on the list(if they aren't already on)

Do you need the eddi though?

Would you rather export your excess and get paid 20c and just heat your water via gas/oil for 10c/ kWh

Or send it to the immersion?

Advertisement