Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

Gript is a loss leader for dark right wing money. If it didn't have fasc influencers funding it it wouldn't exist. If you are happy with dark influencers shaping public discourse to further their political and financial aims then i feel sorry for you. The ultimate end point for allowing this is what we see in the UK and America where they pumped enough money into right wing eco chamber to get voters to shoot themselves in the foot in the form of Brexit and an insurectionist **** like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The media are far too cosy and “in bed” with the politicians in this country.

it’s a club with unwritten rules, the hacks ultimately want to get the nod for a lucrative spell as a Minister special advisor or media advisor - so they play the game and don’t rock the boat too much - lest they be blacklisted.

The likes of Gript are the noisy neighbours coming to gatecrash the party and actually, you know, hold politicians to account and ask them questions they don’t want to answer !

We need more Gripts, On the ditch, etc in this country - not less.

Dark influencers ?!!!

This isn’t lord of the rings - grow up.

Gript is a moderately conservative outlet. Big deal.

There are many moderate liberal outlets in Ireland - rightly so.

A healthy media landscape allows a variety of perspectives.

That’s what we need - not a “woke consensus” force fed by the public broadcaster on an unwilling public.

It's well documented that most of these loss making hard right outlets are funded by shady American billionaires with very right wing agendas.

If Gript had to rely on it's pathetic pool of readers to keep going it would have folded years ago.

Peddling hate for a living can be a nice little earner if you have the right friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does it not concern you that Gript funding is a complete secret?

• Advertisement

If it weren't for the hard right agenda of outlets like Gript I would agree with you. Replacing a cosy cabal of media pyschophants with a paid for hard right shout box is not progress.

Gript is far from hard right.

It is middle of the road conservative, akin to the Irish PDs before their demise.

People really need to stop labelling everything right of People Before Profit as “hard right”.

It demeans the actual risks of genuine hard right politics.

It peddles a non stop feed of immigrant hate, that is far right. The fact that you sympathise with those views blinds you to the reality of what the hard right is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Journalists "manage up" to Ministers in order secure lucrative PR roles while national leaders "manage up" to the European Council and other supranational bodies to secure roles such as EU Commissioner.

This focus on pleasing 'superiors' is corrupting. Technically national leaders are meant to represent nations and their populations, not globalist factions outwith those nations.

Lost in this discussion is the fact that from the Establisment pov, The Phoenix (left-Republican) and Village magazine (alternative left) are arguably as much a thorn in the side as any right-wing webzine.

See Varadkar's ongoing feud with the Editor of Village magazine, who is suing Varadkar for defamation.

What people may not know, or at least I haven't seen much discussion of it here, is that independent media regardless of political orientation tend to go hard on the Establishment. Village publishes all sorts of inconvenient information on the British and Irish intelligence services' meddling in Northern Ireland and all kinds of other taboo things which you won't find on RTE and the Irish Times. As well as unflattering critical appraisal of big media, including not just political but e.g. Kevin Kiely's criticism of the Irish Times "Culture" section.

Partisanising the divide between independent media and corporate media is convenient for conformist political liberals, since all serious criticism then gets labbelled as "right-wing" or crypto-Russian subversion or whatever.

• Advertisement

Gript is not in the same league as the village, it doesn't do actual journalism. It does puff pieces spoon fed from it's paymasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This to be honest.

Like, Gript is going to report on things that matter to them and their readers because other outlets don't.

If there is a vacuum, others will fill it.

I find the fascination with Gript by those who hate it more amusing then Gript itself.

I didn't say it was.

My point is that small publications who don't sit within the middle lane of political liberalism - and whose journalists have no hopes of graduating to PR jobs for FG etc. - tend to criticise the Government from angles the Government aren't expecting and don't like.

Varadkar tends to react badly to any such publication who does this. Whether or not "Grift" are crypto-Russian subverters doesn't really answer the question of whether the Establishment can handle an open political culture where other people bring opinions to the table that they haven't simply absorbed from the IT and RTE.

The immigration issue isn't going away and lots of non-far-right ordinary people want their concerns addressed here. Hence protests across many affected small towns involving ordinary residents.

I would prefer if this situation didn't descend into Trump-Brexit-Musk-style culture gibberish because partisanising these issues then becomes a way of dismissing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Politics aside gript is more akin to a poorly written blog than a news source.

Fair play to him though. There is a market for such nonsense.

I prefer honest debate, but the mess we see in the UK is largely due to dishonest debate from the likes of the Mail and Telegraph. So when an honest right wing media outlet arrives which is capable of dealing with facts honestly I won't complain.

There is no “non stop feed of immigrant hate” on Gript - total hyperbole and deliberate misrepresentation on your behalf.

Yes, Gript advocates for a tightened, controlled immigration system.

Middle of the road conservative policies.

Stop building up Gript as some sort of hard right monster. It’s simply not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

He agrees with the spate of arson attacks. Best to block and ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NoMoreDonegalTuesdays

Why do all Gript's pom-pom waving cheerleaders relentlessly repeat the same zombie slogans and bullshit claims in the same way that propagandists for Trump, Russia and Israel do?

Because they're in a war against reality, facts and context. When you're cheerleading the indefensible, you have to do that. Fire as much bullshlt at the wall as humanly possible. The Ditch is a trash website too by the way and ultimately on the same side as Gript - the side of the destruction of liberal democracy. and its replacement with chaos, followed by the emergence of a Viktor Orban style regime of mass corruption, criminality and repression.

Messages by Gript's pom-pom waving cheerleaders are best read through a Ralph Wiggum voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The ultimate end point for allowing this is what we see in the UK and America where they pumped enough money into right wing eco chamber to get voters to shoot themselves in the foot

This is the bit I don't get about Gript. That seems to be the only logical explanation why anybody would want to pump money into a site like Gript but if you want to achieve that surely you should be pitching your content at mainstream right-leaning readers, like an edgier, more ideological Irish version of Mail online. That seems to be what McGuirk himself aspires to but much of their content makes them look more like an Irish Infowars. If all you are ever going to be is an echo chamber for basement-dwelling conspiraloons then you are never going to influence the broader political context.

"Right-wing" and "honesty" have rapidly become mutually exclusive characteristics. Very few honest right-wingers around these days. I think right-wing ideology is pretty much incompatible with honesty now. Or should I say incompatible with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

honest debate in ireland ? our national broadcaster, newstalk, today fm etc etc all push the same narrative. every day its some ngo on pushing a certain point. pete lunn of the esri being a prime example on every bloody station pushing the results of some travel survey they did recently with no one challenging any of the results - no counter opinion, everything they said was taken as fact. And thats where gript are filling a void, at least they will ask a question. you dont like the mail or telegraph well dont read them then - its the role of the broadcasting regulator here or in the UK to decide what is honest. Its actually hilarous how insecure a lot of people are that they cant control 100 percent of the narrative and thats the problem i think a lot of people have with Gript.

So The Ditch web site is ultimately aiming to destroy liberal democracy?

What about other independent left-leaning media like Village and The Phoenix? Subverters of liberal democracy in the hopes of creating a regime of mass criminality and chaos or legitimate critics of mainstream political liberalism, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I agree. Gript are a breath of fresh air and a break from the leftist echo chamber of the mainstream Irish media. It's funny but I've heard several older people (who would not be typical ones for the internet) in the past year or so say things like "I saw on Gript..." or "you should read Gript.."- it's great that it's profile is getting raised, as there is a huge gap in the market for alternate opinions to the narrative.

The paymasters will take whatever they can get, but don't underestimate the power of appealing to CT goons - there are a hell of a lot of them about.

I'm not sure it's quite as bad as that.

I have heard Newstalk have people on criticising immigration.

The Irish Independent have a story today where some Roscrea protestors are allowed to explain, in their own words, that they didn't intend to frighten asylum seekers but themselves got a shock when the Public Order Unit showed up unannounced, and that they have no links to the far right and harbour genuine concerns.

My problem is their peddling of lies - not their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

As boards can testify. Although I think age and sex profile does have something to do with it in fairness.

While I don't love The Ditch, claiming that a small left-wing pro-Palestinian webzine that investigates planning permission is "in league" with opposite right-wing webzines to subvert democracy is going too far imo.

Independent media allow non-mainstream perspectives to be heard. You mightn't like that but it's a free country so just lump it.

An allergy to any criticism of the Government or political liberalism is going to cause you grief. Leo Varadkar isn't Louis XIV, the Sun King. If you don't like hearing the Government criticised... maybe get a different hobby than consuming political gibberish every waking moment? You could kayak or something.

Who started The Ditch? Chay Bowes. What does Chay Bowes do now? Who does he work for? Where?

The Ditch is pretty much Chay Bowes, Mick Wallace and Clare Daly in website form. The guy who fronts it, Paddy Cosgrave, imagines himself as an Irish Elon Musk, and that's not a good thing. The Ditch's laughable overarching narrative is that Ireland is the most corrupt country in the world, and that freedom of the press is under attack. Pretty much the same narrative as Gript, just from the opposite end. But horseshoe theory is real. The Ditch employ a guy who used to work for Chinese state media. That's ultimately where their loyalty lies, with the Russia/China axis. Russia funds the far right internationally and the advancement of the far right internationally so as western opposition to Russia crumbles is its ultimate goal, but it also has useful idiots cosplaying as being on the left who do its bidding for it.

Gript's real loyalty is to the American far right and its culture war bullshit narratives. And the American far right's real loyalties lie with Russia, with Putin. John McGuirk is an Irish €2 shop version of Tucker Carlson. A chaos agent whose raison d'etre is attention.

There's a market for a left leaning publications and occasionally Village and The Phoenix can produce worthwhile stuff but too often their judgements are way off and they are far too cosy with the Wallace/Daly chaos agent ideology. Village continued to platform Gemma O'Doherty long after her descent into madness - right wing madness, and they entertained Chay Bowes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

maybe get a different hobby

Or Collecting mugs. This one is a bit pricy at a tenner. But it's hilarious!!! I'd literally spit my tea out reading that.

Advertisement