Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, that 17/18 team that cracked 100 points with Sterling, Sane, and Aguero up front, and a midfield of Fernandinho, Gundogan and De Bruyne - with Silva's David and Bernardo on the bench - was by miles their best and most watchable side. Maybe the best PL side I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Brentford can really buy a free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I hate City, but that team was unbelievably good, and played ridiculous football at that time...

I can't tell you the last time I sat down and watched a full City game. Its dreadful, predictable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm surprised KDB hasn't been brought on yet. City are really struggling to create genuine goal scoring opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

This is very poor stuff from City..massive turning point in the title race potentially

I'd guess it's a fitness thing after starting against Chelsea only a few days ago. Probably erring on the side of caution after he reinjured himself shortly after his last return. Big loss alright... though just generally, their lack of intensity is a bit weird. Like, just play faster.

<edit>

ah well, didn't need to play faster after all, Brentford just handed them a goal.

Well he's not needed now, Haaland is just so good.

They just said that he's now scored against every Premier league team he's played against.

He is, though he didn't need to do much there.

Handy having the best striker in the Premier league I suppose

• Advertisement

It's just his finishing, there's no doubt it's going in the net when he gets those opportunities. I've seen everybody else mess up a few times in those positions.

That's true - soon as the defender fell over, it felt like a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Important match in a title race, and there is thousands of empty seats at the Ethiad. Multiple large blocks of empty seats. I thought every home game was sold out before the season started and near impossible to get tickets to games according to some posters? Or is that another false truth from the City accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Game was on to early this evening, and it was raining. You can't expect a sell out given that.

Fair fair.

Interested to see the official attendance numbers released later. I wonder did a few thousand people buy those tickets but their car broke down last minute on the way to the stadium preventing them from attending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Aye yea, it was fierce early, what time was it, 7. 30??

Sure nobody could be expected to turn up that early,

• Advertisement

It was dark as well though. Can't be to careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They really need their "Go...Go..Gadget" advertising hoardings to extend to cover a few more rows of seats

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am trying to get over for a Pool game, you don't want to know what the prices are as all tickets are long sold out so hospitality is the only option which is one free drink & some crap food with your ticket!!

I watched the whole match and didn't see empty seats?

There seemed to be great support all through it for City.

• Advertisement

A good few blocks of empty seats here in the second picture which is mid game.

I thought they were all sold out at the start of the season? And are ticket prices not consistent for every game in the PL? I assumed most clubs had the same prices for the same seats across all games and didn't change based on who the opponent was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

City not padding their GD was about as good a result as Arsenal and Liverpool were gonna get tonight, De Bruyne left on the bench with a hamstring niggle apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Not a city fan but there was only 17 seconds gone in the game in that clip people coulda been in the bar, late, the jacks even???

It doesn't appear there's too many empty seats.

And this is on a wet Tuesday night, at an earlier time than normal, with Champions league football on TV.

There weren't loads of empty seats, but there were certainly more than one would expect. Will be interesting to see if it's a similar sight an Anfield tomorrow night under the same circumstances.

(the champions league thing is a total misnomer though - any fan that might possibly be going to a game in person will be watching their own team play, be-it streaming or wherever, no matter what other games are on tv. Other teams games will be a distant 3rd priority - especially given tonight's CL offerings. Sure even in here there were no comments on the CL games, but plenty on the City match).

A wet night. Jaysus.

I hope they survived the water falling from the sky.

So you finish work at 5, for most probably close to an hour to get home, 6, change clothes, get something to eat, 6.45, how long does it take you to get to the stadium? Is every fan within 45 minutes including arrival and entrance?

Would you not think there's thousands of fans that aren't making it for kickoff?

The pic shown was 21 seconds into the game.

So Man City fans didn't show up to watch their own team play in a title race because they wanted to sit at home and watch PSV play Dortmund instead?

And this isn't the first time it's happened either. I'm sure Man City will post record commercial incomes this season though, and that stadium expansion will be justified.

Maybe it is just coincidence that there were numerous blocks of seats where the people were all in the bar together and showed up later on, before disappearing again at the end of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

City of course are so so popular and have the highest commercial revenue in the world. No fraud of course. Can't even fill their stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't see why people care other people show up to something or not. Particular Irish fans of Premier League clubs "you can't fill your ground!". You're sitting in a shed in Ballyhaunis dude.

If you struggle to fill your stadium then how can you have the largest revenues in the world?

If your fan base is smaller than the likes of United, Real, Barca why are sponsors paying more to work with you?

Fair enough they've won plenty so the prize money is legitimate but you'd have to question the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm no fan of City, but I think using screenshots taken inside the first few minutes of a game to prove something about people not turning up is a bit unfair.

It's common enough to see stands at all grounds not totally full right at kick off, just before half time, or after it, as people make their way too or back to their seats.

Loads of things to criticise City for in general - but, this? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

You're using a photo and video 21 and 17 seconds into the match to try and drive the narrative that City had "thousands of empty seats at the Ethiad" last night. Here's pretty much the same view later in the game:

A few empty seats but nothing near the "thousands" that you claimed were empty.

Hard to believe that's accurate.

Real Madrid have Bellingham and Vini jr(name on his shirt), Barcelona have Lewandoski and not many other big names. Shocked to see Bayern so high, Liverpool ahead of United is very surprising. Hard to believe any of the other clubs, outside of PSG(I assume these figures include Neymar) are ahead of a team that has Haaland and DeBruyne.

As far as I'm aware the two biggest shirt selling players worldwide are Bellingham and Haaland with Mbappe next and those three a long way ahead of the rest.

When are those figures from? City won the Champions league at the end of the 22/23 season. I'd imagine their sales have grown a lot since then.

If anyone wants to send on a link of a full match replay of the game, I'll happily show large patches of empty seats around the 80th minute.

Maybe all those fans that arrived late, must have left early too.

Amazing how you need a full match replay from somebody else but have pictures to suit your own agenda from the first couple of seconds.

And are you going to respond to my post regarding the timeline of a working man? The realistic stuff like I went through myself many times.

I'm not a City fan btw, my team are Athletic club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah christ are we back to discussing Haaland jersey sales justifying City's revenue again ffs.

Not really amazing. How else is a picture able to be generated without the footage. Given the game was not broadcast in the UK/Ireland, there are not as many pictures/videos floating around as there has been in the past when this situation has arisen given how frequent it is. For a club that claims to be the best in the world commercially, there is a lot of talk around this empty seats stuff throughout the season. So it doesn't marry up.

I can easily see the official attendance records for every home game for clubs like Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal etc but Man City chose to hide these. Why are they so secretive? Have they something to hide? Scared of being caught out?

And yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to be finished work at 5 and go to a match in time for 7.30 considering many people would work in the city itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

So are you just ignoring the fact that I already provided a picture that debunked this narrative of yours that there was thousands of empty seats? And let's be clear, in your earlier comments you were very much insinuating that the tickets hadnt been sold. That's not the same as fans being a few minutes late into their seats.

And just in case you think my picture is "fake news", here's the video clip I got it from: https://youtu.be/GN2488mgjG0?t=26

Also, here's the same view again in the 71st minute when Haaland scored: https://youtu.be/GN2488mgjG0?t=140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nobody would give a **** if they stopped announcing every game is a sell out and there’s clearly empty seats most games, there was ones right behind the goal vs Chelsea at the weekend ffs. Stop fudging the numbers and nobody gives a fcuk

Working in the City and living in the City are different things. Unless you are absolutely loaded you'll be living outside the city.

And even living in the City it's still a long way home in many cases. Busy traffic and train times, more than likely a walk anywhere from five to fifteen minutes minimum.

Be realistic here, you are talking about thousands of fans. If 15% of them are late there's big gaps. Even for 8pm kickoffs there's loads of fans not in the seats at kickoffs and this is at every ground.

How long is it for you to get to your seat from when you arrive at the stadium?

Have you any pictures of a 7.30pm game of United, Arsenal or Liverpool. In the first couple of seconds obviously like the City ones.

Are you sure? Back in the day that was the case but I'm not sure it is now. My own 9 year olds class at school all seem to have shirts with names. That's just from listening to my young man talking about it.

I’d say young kids right at that age would be the only ones where their might be a higher number with names (depending what’s cool in any particular school of course) - every other age besides young kids will more commonly not have a name.

• Advertisement

and these are from that clip that you posted, mid-game.

It's clearly not sold out, but we are repeatedly told that every game is sold out and impossible to get tickets for games.

Well this wasn't hard to find.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't remember the last time I saw a man city jersey. All the kids I see are still wearing Liverpool, United and to a lesser extent Real

Seen a few kids around the place in city tops but nothing compare to United or Liverpool. Another big game tonight in the race for the title; despite Liverpool's injury woes I think they'll beat Luton comfortably enough..should improve their goal difference at the same time I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Can't speak for others but if I was working till 5:30pm or so and there was a game on at 7:30pm then I'd get some food or a drink and start making my way over to the match. No such issues from my experience albeit in Germany.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement