Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fisker Ocean

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not sure what your beef is here. To me it was clear that both @slave1 and @Miscreant meant that they felt someone buying a new EV is better than that person buying a new ICE car. Even though they personally might not be interested in buying this Fisker Ocean.

EVs in Ireland are currently overwhelmingly powered during night rate hours when more than half of the electricity is generated from wind turbines. So you were also factually incorrcect with your statement that "E.V. which is primarily fuelled by fossil fuels?"

My own 2 EVs have been 100% fuelled by solar PV since mid May. Hopefully that will last until the end of September or so. And in my own case, yes I scrapped an end of life ICE car (3l V6 Jaguar - petrol, not cancerous diesel) and got a scrappage payment when I bought my first EV nearly 7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If you read my post again, you will see that I did indeed answer the "Did you scrap your I. C.E. vehicle when you changed to your E.V." part of your question with the first word of my reply..... No. I comprehended your question and provided the answer accordingly.

The remainder of my post was in relation to your comment of "which is primarily fuelled by fossil fuels".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

I was referring to the original post, which is why I asked you the question, you are referring to your reply which did answer the question albeit criticising my English, which is why I highlighted your own spelling errors.

Anyway, let’s move on and agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive been a following the Fisker Ocean story closely for the last couple of years and think their lean business model and choice of production partner with Magna will give them a good chance of success (along with Henry Fisker's lessons of his previous failed attempt with the Karma a decade earlier).

The Ocean will be built in the same plant alongside the Mercedes G-class & BMW Z4 in Graz, Austria. This will hopefully result in a good build quality in the production process, always a massive risk in any vehicle startup...and assuming the design proves to be robust.

The 2WD Sport has a 75kW LFP battery, whilst AWD Ultra, Extreme & One models get a 113kW NMC battery (reportedly 105kW useable), along with an equally large jump in price. All batteries are supplied from CATL in China.

The only comparable mid-size SUV that will come to market anytime soon in terms of price will be the BYD Tang, although at present its battery size is 88kW LFP. (There were rumours of a 108kW battery upgrade last year, but I havent read anything since).

I like the cars styling and performance specs of the Ultra as it will suit our needs, especially if it has a decent towing range. But undoubtedly the expected price is what is capturing peoples interest. As a result I decided to hedge my bets and put in a reservation in July last year for an Ultra. If I end up pressing the button, I would expect to be offered a production slot sometime in 2024.

Im not fully convenced just yet. Biggest concerns are obvious ones - i.e. (i) vehicle reliability, (ii) aftermarket support in Ireland and (iii) company viability (will they still be here during car ownership period). Will be watching keenly to see how this goes in the UK over next 12 months. Buying a new vehicle from a startup manufacturer is fraught with risks, but I think Fisker have done well to get to this point. Fisker have missed a few milestones with regard to production, but not on a Tesla level to be fair.

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

I like the styling, if they get the build quality right, it will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Introduced an off road version today. Force E. Existing owners can upgrade theirs too.

First true off road electric vehicle from a 'main manufacturer '

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Looks cooler than anything from Land Rover / Range Rover imho

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf I'd agree I despise the market is now just crossover and SUV frankly. They're less efficient due to scale in many aspects they're the opposite to the point of EVs. Might be a very very unpopular opinion but I'd like to see a eu wide motor tax replacement based on size/weight. It might stimulate manufactures back into more efficient shapes like saloons fastbacks and wagons.

I did say unpopular opinion... but I hate the growth of huge vehicles on the road and in parking spaces.

Funny as timing would have it, Fisker also announced a couple of other models

The Alaska pick-up truck with a target date of 2025. Pics & story from electrik.co

Looks to be on the comparable size to an ice Hilux, Ranger etc or ev Maxus.

Pricing for the base model US$45,400 for base model. If it is approved for US tax credits, will come down to US$37,900. The initial release model will be US$69K.

There pricing is seriously sharp and will rival the chinese brands. A lot of innovation coming out of the company on the both the design and manufacturing side to help drive costs down. The Pear, also aiming for 2025 is, expected to be sub US$30,000. US Tax credits could push that down below $23K. Early days yet though.

And if your preapred to wait, the Fisker Ronin.

From the Fisker website:

...is the world’s first all-electric, four-door convertible GT sports car. Beautifully designed with sleek, powerful lines, the Fisker Ronin represents the height of Fisker’s technology and performance.

Starting at (US)$385,000 before any incentives.

I like the tag line

"Built for a Category of One"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I think most people would need to win the lottery for that one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I wonder will Fisker come to Ireland. Be a pity if they did not. I see the Ocean is to ho on sale in the UK sometime next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So Fisker Ocean has been out for a few months now and reviews are somewhat mixed. Ive watched a lot of owner reviews and it seems for the most part the build quality is reasonable.

However, a couple of big gripes continue to be around the software. One is a lack of features yet to be made available (like adaptative cruise control) via software updates. The other is the infotainment system. The decision not to allow android auto/apple car play I think will hurt them when their own system is clearly substandard at the moment. Also being forced to use the Tom-Tom navigation which IMHO is awful after using googlemaps.

I cashed in my reservation last month minus US$25 admin fee and received it back within 48 hours. It appears after a promising start that they are not selling cars. The share price tanked also and there was a lot of rumours swirling about bankuptcy. The company was handed a financial lifeline with a debt-to-equity deal with a noteholder. Will be a tough year for the startup no doubt.

Seems the boost acceleration mode has a lifetime limit of 500 uses (see from 1min 45sec in the vid above) which seems strange.

Post edited by wassie on

You did well getting the deposit back, @wassie. Fisker is in trouble.

Yep - I had been watching the financials over the last year and they ended up needing to take on extraordinary amounts of debt. And then after the initial delivery of initial pre-orders, sales slumped and cars were being built and not moving. The fact they are now looking for franchise dealers in the US to sell their cars is also worrying.

Once their shareprice collapsed in November, that was the signal for me to get out at the start of Dec, although I probably was never going to purchase in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ms

A pity if Fisker go under again. What is it with Fisker? The first time they only had a sports saloon but this time they have more and seemed to be doing better for a while with really clever well thought out cars. I hope they survive and become profitable. They deserve to succeed the Pear is well designed too and the ocean is a very nice machine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭derekreilly

My review and drive of the Fisker Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Was there any talk of a timeline for the Ocean going on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭derekreilly

We nearly had them soft launch at the show last weekend so I'd say by end of year into 2025

• Advertisement
    Ms

What happened? Could they not get the car there in time? Would have been awesome if they had of been there. It would have been the star of the show I think the MG Cyberster got that do did it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Fairly good review by Mat Watson - particularly on the drive handling.

Looks like the party could finally be over for Fisker unless they are rescued.

I posted more details of this in the Random EV Thoughts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

disappointing, hopefully someone picks them up. I quite like their cars.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Formally filing for Bankruptcy…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

No shock there as expected.

Although looking on Reddit the Chapter 11 petition is interesting in that it cites that this is for the Fisker Group only. Finsker Inc (parent of Fisker Group) and all of the subsidiaries (both US & overseas) are excluded at this time.

Again according to Reddit posters:

It seems like the Ocean IP is in the Mexico based company owned 99% by Fisker Inc directly.
    If the IP is worth anything I am not very confident about, I do not think it is worth much.

and

Interesting way to structure a company. IP owned by the parent, stock is in the parent, all operations handled by the subsidiary. Things get ugly, you jettison the subsidiary.

I wonder what the play is here given there is not likely to be anything worth saving here, given no one was interested in a rescue deal.

You know the end is near when a couple of weeks ago they were offering staff their choice of any model for $20,000 including the Ocean One which was originally priced at $61,500.

Ms

Thats sad. I think Ford should buy them. Would be a good match.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement