Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

My children returning is not "migration" . Take a hike!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

And not a mark on him but yet since the alleged incident his story changed so much it was hard to keep up.absolute bs from him but it’s staggering to see the media fawning all over this “cleric”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Given the scale of the in-migration, and the ubiquitous propaganda associated with it, accepting it amounts to deliberate policy - albeit that may be purely passive on some people's part.

When you are talking about 1% increase of the total population year-on-year over several years and with no plans to slown down or stop that is akin to something like the population movements in Europe after 400AD. It is a major transformation. Especially if it just goes on and on. (And the pro- propaganda around this issue aims to shut down thought and doesn't allow for practical compromises.)

The dramatic emigration from Ireland in the 1950s and 1980s (and '08-'13) rightly or wrongly served as a safety valve, as under-population has some benefits for the population left behind. But we can't and shouldn't depend upon economic crashes and economic freezes to partially solve social, economic and infrastructural problems.*

Given like I said, the propaganda, the attempts to shouts down any opposition or even discussion with emotive accusations, there are clearly people who (deniably) favour population growth. They strive to keep entry to the country wide open all the time to allow large movements of people enter then claim that it just happens that there are huge in-flows.

This will of course change the demographics of the country hugely and also the dynamics of how people relate to each other. I think we could get Latin American-style class dynamics. Indeed that may even be the point for many pro-immigration supporters (asset owners, at least). There are cases before the WRC, and stories dug up by e.g. Irish Times journalists, of dirt poor foreigners being underpaid within Ireland right now.

*In other words, we can't admit huge in-flows of people and tell ourselves "Don't worry, if we're bringing in too many people now we can always crash the economy later and they will leave again." That would be (collectively) self-destructive. We should be finding ways to exit boom-bust mania and achieve long-term economic stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Also, the vast bulk of new housing is usually bought by Irish citizens -

I would say that most reasonable people would look at - "the vast bulk" - and think that would equate to a minimum of 80%, but a very quick search shows -

"Non-households accounted for 42pc of new homes purchased, the highest share since the records began in 2010, according to Dermot O’Leary, economist with Goodbody Stockbrokers.

Lorcan Sirr, lecturer in housing at Technological University Dublin, said cuckoo funds and State-funded buyers were pushing household buyers, particularly new purchasers, out of the market.

Dr Sirr said housing output has doubled in the last five years.

But the number of properties available to buy for first-time purchasers and movers have fallen to half the housing output, to just 28pc, after one-off houses are excluded.

There are fewer homes to buy, due to the surge in purchases by cuckoo funds, State-backed buyers, such as local authorities and approved housing bodies, he said."

So that leaves us with 58% to work with re private buyers - Of that, I'd make an educated guess that Irish buyers account for maybe half of that residual 58%

Please stop lying and throwing out these hugely inaccurate false statements - You're really doing yourself no favours here - I've a pain in me hole correcting your inaccuracies although I'll keep doing it...somebody has to

But you're speaking as if it is deliberate government or state policy to make the population bigger than what it currently is. There's no real evidence of this or that that the state has ever tried to manipulate the size of the population at any point in the last 30 or 40 years.

It's exactly 3 years since O'Gorman invited (potentially) 100's of millions of people to come to Ireland for own door accommodation in 4 months - How much more evidence do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is fascinating to see be be nice crew on social media.

Froughting at the mouth a few days ago about irish men wolfwhistling at women.

A few days later complaining that women are protesting about an attempted rape and other reported incidents.

I know which I would be more disgusted with.

But I'm not in the be nice group where wolfwhistling is horrific and attempted rape should be downplayed.

These are the same type of people who enabled rape gangs in England by trying to play down people's concerns.

Horrible horrible horrible people, obviously not talking about here as I wouldn't talk about other posters, referring to other social media sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The implications of the alleged incident in Roscrea are massive.

The protests at people arriving to Racket Hall were appalling, clearly made it very uncomfortable for the asylum seekers. In my opinion at that time, it was totally wrong. But how can I possibly stand over that view now if what is being said happened, did actually happen?

The protests the other night are getting nowhere near the publicity one would expect, given how much coverage there was of the initial protests in the town. I would guess the media feels unsure about how to proceed and worries about pouring fuel on the fire. However not giving enough coverage might actually have a more damaging effect.

If the allegations are borne out it's going to be very hard get public support or even acceptance for more accommodation centres. I'm not saying that's right, but it's how it is.

I'd be delighted if there was nothing in the allegations tbh, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In 2017, there were 92k people on housing lists, some a decade+, ~5000 people registered as homeless. Meantime, the State chose to import refugees and allocate them Council housing after seven months. Where is the equitableness there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I'll ask again, how many of those on the list were happy to be housed anywhere in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You don't get that option. You are tied to whichever Council's list location where you "have ties to" or "normally reside". You can't tick a box saying you are willing to be housed anywhere in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Don't worry I'm sure none of the 92,000 people were from Leitrim.

All of them were from elsewhere and wouldn't move to another county.

In a housing crisis 92,000 people refused a house and thats's obviously the only reason he got the house before all of the other 92,000 people.

Sounds like something our media or government would lie about.

• Advertisement

And an awful lot turn down houses that are in another town or town land etc.

Anyway, before the massive influx of Ukranian refugees, all refugees were accommodated here as part of refugee programs. Fixed numbers of refugees, brought here to be rehomed. The state undertook to house them. I'm not sure what you're suggesting, should we not take part in those schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

And our family has been homeless living in our mothers sitting room for the past 6 months and the council wont even answer the phone or return our calls or emails.

Billions in the budget though for people coming here & those who are well connected to the government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You forgot to highlight the part where it said he has a young daughter.

Presumably that's why he got the house? No mention of relatives in the country, so I guess that child would have been at greater risk of homelessness.

At a time of such terrible housing shortage, stemming from years of government failure, I'm ok with prioritizing houses for children most at risk of homelessness.

It sounds about right to me under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

Now refugees arriving here are given a tent if they are lucky and told to sleep on the streets.

Surely it would be a sensible idea to stop partaking in those 'schemes' until the government actually has housing to rehome them in.

This is another thing that happens when decisions are more informed by good intentions than by reality.

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Follow the Danish route

I would also be in favor in transferring asylum seekers to third countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Ukrainian are laughing at us, they are getting brand new houses, claim all sort of financial supports and offering home-based services on which they don’t pay tax obviously and buy/renovate houses in Ukraine where they go on “holidays”. It is a fact and reality.

I doubt many have got brand new houses? Is there some evidence of widespread abuse of the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There must have been otherwise the government would not have introduced the measure they have done like reducing payments to Ukrainian refugees and I can't remember if they brought something in about being out of the country for more than 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

You mean indefinite detention? Including the detention of children?

That's the Danish route currently. Can't see it getting much support here.

Aside from the barbarity of it, what's the economic cost of keeping someone, (who might otherwise be building houses or working in a hospital) locked up long-term like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

how is that possible? I’ve know folks on a housing list for close to ten years… how is that possible?

And there are not irish born folks in the same situation?

So if someone on a housing for a few years watches a foreign national get a house after 7 months are they meant to applaud them and say well done. lucky you. Or do deflect and blame the gubbermint?

They do. Well some have. in the large i live in, some have got new builds. or houses that have been done up to a very nice standard.

Different thing altogether.

You're talking about asylum seekers, not refugees brought here as part of a programme

You may be right that a single Ukrainian family got a house, but if that is the case surely you'd have to accept that's very far from typical? Can you be certain the house wasn't sold privately anyway? Or that it is still definitely in the ownership of the local authority rather than private ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Of course it is! Its migration of people into the country, which increases the population.

Thats why I keep saying you cant restrict all migration.

That doesnt mean there isnt a limit to the numbers, but the other poster wanted to decmiate all migration into the country and you appeared to agree with them.

So which is it?

Controlled migration or no migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Petition in Switzerland to stop population rising above 10 Million by 2050

Perfectly sensible idea in my opinion.Overpopulation is not good for anyone, the only people it is good for are those who want a permanent underclass of citizens who are permanently available cheap labour to exploit.So it's quite odd that lefties seem to be massively in favour of excessive immigration and massive increases in population.Traditionally the left were opposed to exploiting cheap labour.

Also interesting to note that after the waves of immigrants to Ireland from eastern europe in the early to mid 00's nobody cared one bit about them, and why was that because services weren't being massively overstretched the economy was booming infrastructure was able to cope with everyone.There would be no anti-immigration sentiment if countries could cope effectively with additional numbers but most can't.Before you import people you should be making sure everything is pretty spot on for the existing population many of whom are immigrants and many of whom are immigrants who are opposed to excessive immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

People still turn down houses they dont want. It isnt the govts job to house everyone on social housing in their preferred area.

I am not saying that happens in every case, it obciously doesnt.

But it is something that needs to factored in. Some of those on the housing list would have been housed if they accepted a home in their non-preferred area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement