Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Voting NO for both

And it is... by those who've actually looked into it themselves (as opposed to taking vague and confused arguments in favour as their reasoning) and have thus decided to vote No per the IT.

Of course, there is a sizeable amount of "can't someone else do it" type voters out there who will rely on others to do the thinking for them. It's this group that the Government/advocates are appealing to/counting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Voting YES for both

And yet you can't deny, going by this thread and others on boards, there is a sizeable amount of voters who have no interest in the amendments or the constitution and are merely out to ' give It to the government '

I have no problem with voters that have debated the issue and decided yes or no, on their own studies.

but I do have issues with voters who don't really care, and are just about the protest, voting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

I'm undecided still.

I know and read far more people voting "yes, yes" just because it's what the main parties are endorsing, than I know protest voters just deliberately going against the government.

I'm struck by just how many typical mainstream voters who would have voted for marriage equality, abortion, divorce etc, say they are voting no on this though.

Voting YES for both

No. It's amazing how many people do not understand why or how referendums are brought.

How exactly would we have a referendum on asylum and deportation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

Did you? There is a poster on the first page saying that they don't really understand the referendums but will vote yes anyway.

And you're the one claiming that the yes voters are the ones that have read and understand the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Constitution definitely needs to be taken seriously. That is why any changes to it must be as clear and unambiguous as possible. We already experienced the law of unintended consequences in relation to a change to the Constitution about 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm undecided as well. I've read the changes, listened to but really don't know what problem is being solved, or what advantages/disadvantages either will bring.

Lots of hypothetical stuff being thrown around, I still haven't seen any tangible impact either change might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Proposed to change Article 41.1.1° text in bold:

Article 41.1.1° “The State recognises the Fam!ily, whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships, as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.”

Still undecided on the above change but I'm leaning towards a yes simply because there are so many different family set-ups that are not based on marriage and they should also be recognised in our constitution. I personally know people in the following situations and I think they are families, just not covered by our constitution:

1) co-habiting couples without children

2) co-habiting couples with children

3) two different people, both single and unmarried (as distinct from divorced) who are raising children alone

4) a divorced mom with two marital children and a new child from a non-marital relationship that has since ended

5) a blended family where divorced dad (with 2 kids) and single mom married and have two children together and the mom also has a child from a previous non-marital relationship.

I suppose 1-4 would fall under 'other durable relationships'. I'm assuming too that the durable relationships are not just about the adult couple but also includes durable relationships between other individuals, eg, parent/child, siblings, etc. so could it cover other situations like polygamy that might be legal in other countries? Its not very clear though.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Voting NO for both

Quite right - you would think then that the government would take such matters seriously?

Firstly we have amendments that no one really asked for.

Both of these amendments were then rammed through both the dail and seanad in 6 weeks (about half of which both chambers were on xmas break) allowing little to no debate or discussion on alternative wording.

While you may agree with the proposed amendments in principle (as i am sure many do) if you actually were serious about the constitution you would not be voting yes to these amendments in their current format.

The constitution is the most important legal document in the county - changes to it should not be done at the drop of a hat.

Post edited by twinytwo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The people you mention in groups 1 and 2 will lose the current rights they have to property, if the referendum is passed

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Really? Clearly with your vast knowledge of Irish constitutional law, you can sell this to all the no voters - i mean you have read and understand exactly what you are voting for. Do what the government have been unable to do.

In your answer kindly reference every other bill and bit of legislation that this affects, as well as addressing areas like inheritance.

This is your chance to correct us all - remember: do not forget to be specific.

Post edited by twinytwo on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I am voting NO (care amendment)

That's all that's really being covered do you want to replace those words with these ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve to do more research before deciding and inform myself on the issues.

Would anyone care to summarise what the key challenges might be if the current wordings remained unchanged?

I’ve understood very clearly the constitutional changes in the past and the necessity for them. I’m not seeing the clear need in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

no and no

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭well24

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭well24

Voting NO for both

To be clear to all those yes voters saying the no voters are going to vote to say f**k you the the government

This is NOT the only reason, voting no cause:

1. Nothing is clear
    2. Not going to make any difference
    3. And yes a big f**k you to the government for wasting time and money on this, when their are way more pressing matters. Could be a better time to vote on something like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

Me and most of the people I know are voting no to say f**k you the the government, especially over immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Voting YES for both

Changes to the constitution can not be done at the drop of a hat; it requires a referendum.

Voting NO for both

Changes to the constitution require a referendum? Who knew!

No comment on the rest of the post then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good post.

What's the next step on from that though? Say those (or some of those) groups are not currently identified by the constitution as a family but would be after a Yes vote; what specifically are the practical benefits of that change to those groups? Is it in relation to inheritance rights? Tax breaks? Or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting NO for both

It was mentioned during the campaign in jest, but what is to stop a man's mistress seeking a claim from his estate in the event of his death using the claim that she and he were engaged in a "durable relationship" and that she now needs recompense and support?

Honest answer is I don’t know- and whether the content of your post has any legal merit on not, I’ll leave to a legal expert - but that’s my big problem with this referendum - the scenarios haven’t been fleshed out in any meaningful way and thought through and presented to the public.

I would HOPE that such a scenario as above isn’t something that’s possible in the future but I can already see legal cases brewing as test cases as a result.

But it’s not the responsibility of a boards poster to raise such a possibility- it’s the governments duty to outline such scenarios and how they will be dealt with, and they haven’t done that.

When something doesn’t feel right I tend to vote no - asking to do what the government asks is not a reason to do it in my book- I think this referendum is ill thought out, ill advised and just not clear enough - I’m leaning towards no at this point.

We've had lazy referendums in the past where not enough effort was used to educate the public- this is one such referendum

Unintended consequences wouldn’t be my biggest concern normally as many past referendums have provided a hell of a lot of guidance around what the change might mean/wont mean.

This referendum has very little guidance- I’m not into scaremongering but without such guidance, every view on “what might happen” as a result of this change, no matter how bizarre a claim, stands unchallenged in the absence of proper education by the government.

I reckon this will be a no vote and an attempt will be made maybe 2 years from now to go again but with a lot more education and informed information on the change and its implications

Voting NO for both

The referendums are so open and vague that their meaning will most definately be contested in the courts, from everything from mistrisses trying to make a claim on a deceased lover's estate, to assylum seekers trying to use the amendment to allow other family members automatically join them in Ireland. When the wording is so vague and open to interpretation, it will be rife to challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Good point and very possible. I just edited my last post (before I saw this) as I wondered would durable relationship cover polygamy which is not legal here but is in other countries. How would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Voting NO for both

Certainly if the definition of the family one were to pass, it'll be open season for people involved in all manner of 'durable relationships' to demand rights and if they don't get them, they'll rightly go to the courts and be vindicated there. It's amazing that the government and politics in general propose to sleep walk us into this. Is it a case of being afraid to say the king has no clothes on - group think?

Voting YES for both

Polygamy is illegal full stop. Polyamory could easily be a durable relationship imo. But sure who cares if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Have to admit that - consistent with my usual lack of knowledge of all things law - I genuinely do not know what the effect of the change will be. And I am actually in a polyamory relationship for 18 years now with us having 4 kids. So I assume I am at least somewhat affected by the change in some way.

But as far as I my little understanding goes the change itself has no effect in and of itself. It just means that if they ever want to legislate or create laws that affect people in situations like ours - that it would be moderately easier for them to do so?

To be honest I am not that pushed either way. Any "right" or benefit or relevance that married nuclear families have that we do not - we have sought and obtained in other ways ourselves. Taking steps to ensure inheritance, next of kind rights, medical proxy rights, guardianship rights over the kids, and so forth.

So it probably affects me in some way but I feel uninformed ignorant and not all that pushed or interested to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement