Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Quick question folks, what’s going to happen with the 15B under the reshuffle?

Will it be more frequent or pretty much the same with a new bus number?

It’s a decent service as is but can get very busy, just needs the bus lane and bus gate infrastructure to make it quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The devil is in the detail when you are looking at changing the bus service.

As I said, the primary function of the E Spine north of the river has to be carrying everyone between the City Centre and Phibsborough, DCU, Ballymun and the St Margaret's Road area and vice versa. That has to be priority one - make sure that the existing passengers on that corridor are looked after and aren't being left behind because of a change. The next priority would be linking up with the Airport. You don't want to solve one problem by creating another by just extending one of the routes to the Airport. Instead you look at providing an additional route.

I really do think that a completely separate E route (as suggested above - an E3) or another radial on that corridor is the best way of linking it with the Airport.

Separately, the A Spine needs to be addressed so that there is no reduction in PSO service to/from the Airport along the Drumcondra corridor. But that is a separate issue.

I have long posted here that they need better PSO links between the Airport and all of the north Dublin suburbs from very early in the morning until late at night, and there are still gaping holes that need to be filled but aren't under BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

It's going to be replaced by route 85, which will run at pretty much the same frequency as the current 15b.

However, the 85 will terminate in Tallaght, not on Stocking Avenue like the 15b currently does. It will be routed up through Hunters Wood, Oldcourt Road, The Old Mill and on to Tallaght. I don't think this is a great idea, as there's a huge amount of housing that has just been completed in the Stocking area (the White Pines development) with more phases also on the way. Extending the 85 up to Tallaght will put big pressure on capacity. Although with so many other bus options available in Tallaght it's hard to say whether loads of people will take the 85.

The 15b is the primary public transport option for those who live up in the White Pines/Stocking area. This is why it has become such a busy route in recent years as more and more housing has been built in the Stocking area.

They also want to route the 85 into town through Harold's Cross and not Rathmines like the current 15b. This will maintain a bus service on the Terenure-Harold's Cross stretch, which is good. However, the lack of any investment in bus lanes on the stretch between Terenure Village and Harold's Cross might mean the 85 will get stuck in traffic and be quite slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My point is that I can’t see the E1 being the new number one choice out to the airport that people won’t be able to get to Ballymun because of all the pax filling it up going to the airport.

As you say, if the separate point of the Swords Rd at least maintaining its frequency to the airport, then the E spine should manage the loads. The airport loadings are busy at different times to the normal peak hours, due to the nature of airport operations. You could see an E1 full at 04:00, but fine for school traffic. All evening services out of the city will be very busy, but that’s not unusual.

Currently people are left behind (me) weekly, on the 41 because of airport passengers.

The benefits of linking Northwood and the airport via the E spine throughout 24 hours would far out weigh some people waiting on an E2 or other route going their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The current proposed BC service to the airport will either be changed on implementation or else this will become the next big BC bashing news item in the news cycle, and that in itself will push the NTA into changing those plans. I just don't envision such a severe service reduction for the airport at a time of record passenger numbers to fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

That'd be dependent on Northwood Management agreeing to through running on Northwood Avenue, and it's not clear that they've yet agreed to having the E1 terminus close to Homebase/Eurospar. (terminus site may require agreement of Cosgrave Developments, too). Slow movvvvvinng stuff..

Post edited by jd on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Soc Dem TD Jennifer Whitmore had said she received an update from the NTA on the E-Spine busconnects routes.

She said to the Irish Independent today that the E-Spine routes will begin this summer.

There is no details of the suggested E3 route from Bray to the Airport in her press release.

However she did outline the details of the local routes going around Bray and North Wicklow earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

When the BusConnects routes were being finalised in the final draft, were they taking Metrolink into account? That may explain the drop-off in capacity with the A2

Also was on an S8 today that had a display say that it operated 'via Dundrum Centre'. Is this a natural occurrence on that route, or probably just a glitch on that specific bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

A Go-Ahead bus managing to show something other than "via X" on the internal display??! I'll be damned. It's most likely a glitch though as the S8 doesn't go near Dundrum itself. Closest it gets is the roundabout at junction 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Personally can't see any more changes to the E1.

It's replacing the 155 and 145 in bray and I think combined means 1 less bus an hour from bray.

145 & 155 services through the N11 are frequently full and leaving pax behind before they meet the 46a route, the new E2.

You'd be expanding an already under pressure corridor to many many more people by extending to the airport, that's not to mention running times are already adversely impacted in and out of Bray due to traffic volumes.

As suggested by another poster, a supplementary route for example an E3 brides glen to the airport might be more feasible.

That's all before we mention the DAA are due to announce a new bus plan for the airport soon, guaranteed 1 bus seat per passenger from March due to a planned increase in service.

• Advertisement

Exactly - I have serious concerns about the planned frequencies on the E Spine that they won’t meet the existing demand levels.

Off-peak the planned frequency on the E1 is every 10 mins (that’s 3 buses less each hour between Bray and the City Centre than the existing 145/155 combined).

Off-peak the E2 will be every 10 mins, which is 1.5 buses less than the 46a, which is every 8 mins.

At peak the E1 & E2 will be every 8 mins each, which is still 1.5 buses less an hour out of Bray, but the same frequency out of Dún Laoghaire.

The plan does have twelve additional E9 departures between Brides Glen and UCD during the morning and evening peaks (some of these replace existing extra works on the 145 from Woodbrook), but you have to ask what planet they’re on potentially cutting frequency on the main routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Are the O and N2 starting along with the E spine then? I presume Dublin Bus will be operating both?

Given the convoluted route the S2 is taking on the quays it probably makes more sense for the N2 to go through stoneybatter instead of the north circular. At least the south bound bus lane on James Joyce Bridge will finally see some use after 25 years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The best solution for the airport is a whole new dedicated PSO semi stopping service. Call it the AX, AD, A747 or something, these would be the only stops on it:

• Dublin Airport
    • Collins Avenue (change for N4 orbital)
    • Griffith Avenue (change for N2 orbital)
    • Drumcondra DART station
    • North Circular Road (change for O orbital)
    • City Center

Still accept Leap, €2 fare, etc.

You could still have the A2 and one of the E routes go to the airport for local staff, but most tourists would likely go with the above service and it would take the strain off the A2, E, etc.

Unless there is something else in the works, the A2 with the proposed frequency is going to be an absolute disaster.

That's all before we mention the DAA are due to announce a new bus plan for the airport soon, guaranteed 1 bus seat per passenger from March due to a planned increase in service.

Sure, but we are assuming this will be the private operators, charging high fares, etc. We also need adequate PSO service to the airport. It is pretty insane to cut PSO service to the airport in half, when the airport numbers are at record high and DAA have these issues with Fingal Co and the planning cap, a major cause of is road capacity.

I really hope the NTA have something planned here to change, even if just increased frequency on the A2 or I agree it will end up a major controversy and a big news item.

Well the A Spine won’t be happening until Q4 2025 (per NTA correspondence with councillors), so hopefully that is sufficient time for them to sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Any word on when the N8 bus is due to start? That will be another connection (if infrequent) between the airport and the other spines.

Not until the A Spine phase - Q4 next year I’m afraid, again per NTA correspondence with local councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

A link of the E spine into Dublin airport would actually be a huge benefit to anyone living northside along that corridor and it makes as much sense as a terminus for that spine as it is a terminus for the A spine. Dublin airport is a huge centre of employment and it stands to reason that there'd be as many airport employees served by such a connection as the connections facilitated by A spine. I don't think private operators can cater to the excess demand that will be left unserved by the withdrawal of the 16/41 because its not the same market using private operators as using DB airport services.

Wow re routing the 15B into Harold’s cross instead of rathmines is an awful idea!

What is the thought process behind this I wonder?

Can I suggest that perhaps you take the time to look at the map of the new network and the frequencies?

I have posted the links numerous times - they answer most of the questions that you seem to ask and give you a sense of how the network will look.

Something has to serve the Terenure Road North with the A Spine going via Rathmines.

The phasing and the links to the map and frequencies are in the first post of this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058321409/busconnects-dublin-likely-phasing-of-new-routes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

My information is that it is planned the N2 will start the same time as the Es, with the O to follow later in the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Yeah it seems to be a bit of a strange one to be fair, I live in Old Bawn and would sometimes get a lift to Templeogue and hop on a 15b to get into Rathmines or Camden St etc. My Best guess is it is probably to do with the 54A being discotinued? and therefore becomes an amalgamated route ?

Have the plans for the Tallaght area changed ?

The O has to happen at the same time as the E-Spine, as that would leave no service on the NCR after the 46a is removed, unless of course a temporary replacement route from Phoenix Park to City Centre is planned via the current 46a routing.

Thanks for posting that link LX.

So if I wanted to stay with the old 15B route, I’d be as well getting the 85 to terenure road east/west xroads and then transferring to A1,A2,A3 or A4.

I shouldn’t have long to wait on an A as each respective A is scheduled to be 12m from the last and as there are 4 A’s, in theory, it should only be 3 mins wait time.

Furthermore with the €2 m, 90min fare my ticket is transferable onto whatever A bus I get from the 85.

The only thing I hope is that they have a covered bus shelter with RTI for people transferring at terenure crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Depends on where you're going but I find Harold's Cross is a much quicker route to town than Rathmines.

Once the BusConnects infrastructure works happen, the bus lanes are being removed between Terenure and Harold’s X Green, with all the priority going onto the Rathmines corridor.

I don’t know about that route being faster - the SCR is painfully slow.

I’d generally be heading either into rathmines or Camden street etc so the 15B is perfect, but if all it takes is to change once at terenure crossroads then it’s no big deal, as long as I’m not waiting for ages on an A in the pissings of rain with a non sheltered bus stop.

Also do we have any idea when the infrastructure on the A is due to commence, or is it still in the ABP black hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes exactly, the 16/41 can't really be replaced by private operators as they're separate markets. The private operators are mostly useless for people travelling between north Dublin suburbs and the airport. The Aircoach 700 route stops at Drumcondra railway station but that's the only one I can think of - and obviously that's a lot more expensive than the 16 or 41.

I don’t want to sound disrespectful, but if you read this thread on an ongoing basis, the answer will appear, whenever there is news. You do seem to keep asking the same questions over and over again!

To give you a straight answer - no infrastructure works will happen until 2025 on any corridor.

Only two corridors out of the twelve have been approved by ABP so far - Ballyfermot and Clongriffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Both the n2 and o route are presently missing a large amount bus stops with no sign of new stops being rolled out

• Advertisement

Well the NTA said that this phase would happen in H1 2024, so that’s likely to be May or June I suspect!

Plenty of time before then for stops to appear - that’s generally the first sign that something is likely to happen.

Advertisement