Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The fcking irony in these types of "warnings".

""Operators of illegal IPTV services should be aware that not only are they committing an offence themselves, but they're also putting consumers at real risk of malware, data loss and identity theft," FACT said."

How many people, who have used these services have suffered real malware, data loss and identity theft I wonder, as a result of using these services?

I'd wager the risk of these things happening as a result of using these services is far less than the actual risk of these things happening (particularily identity theft) as a result of using "legitimate" business and state services.

See:

HSE Data Breach - https://www2.hse.ie/services/cyber-attack/what-happened/

Sky "issues" - https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/urgent-sky-broadband-warning-after-25530150

https://www.information-age.com/sky-employee-leaked-customer-data-27541/

Virgin media:

And countless more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The decent providers will also use a VPN on their end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

But there are ways to detect such traffic based on its characteristics. That would require the cooperation of the ISPs though.

Regards...jmcc

They can hazard a guess based on characteristics but that is about it.

I suspect that the authorities and broadcasters will be happy enough if they can limited the numbers using the services. A lot of users won't be comfortable singing up for and installing a VPN client no matter how handy that is.

If the broadcasters manage to dissuade a lot of current users through media campaigns and blocking the easily identifiable targets I think they will settle for that.

• Advertisement

It is difficult for a broadcaster to identify a subscription being used to provide a dodgy box feed as it would require identifying the dodgy box feed. Card sharing was a solution from the early 1990s (it predated pirate smartcards and was even mentioned in Wired magazine when it was cool) and it wasn't until the advent of always on Internet access that it became a major problem. In bandwidth terms, it was more efficient. The latest generation of dodgy boxes depend on high bandwidth Internet access for the uplink and for the users.

The problem for the broadcasters is an economic one. The dodgy boxes are providing a cheaper service than a legiitimate subscription and the ease of use (always critical in monetising any hack on a broadcast service) is high and there is little requirement for much extra equipment. Ideally, a broadcaster would want to convert didgy box users into paid subscribers. Using the media to push that kind of a narrative would be counter-productive.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

i know one that has resorted to a cash in an envelope only method

A broadcaster is never going to have 100% security on a system where the settop boxes are outside its control and do not have a viable feedback loop to ensure that they are being properly used. I don't consider the technology journalists in the Irish media to be expert on the subject. Few, if any of them, are technologists and they don't seem to understand the problems that the broadcasters and dodgy box providers face.

The characteristics of a video stream are quite different to that of browsing in that the bandwidth usage in a video stream is relative constant. Browsiing is very bursty by comparison. It would require monitoring at an ISP level and false positives (Netflix/Prime/etc) would have to be ruled out. The lack of access to ISP trafffic data is a problem for the broadcasters. The broadcasters rely on FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) to convince a lot of people not to use dodgy boxes but the problem is that they cannot compete on an ecnomic basis (subscription fees) with dodgy boxes so they are left with the current situation. Targeting distributors or resellers is more effective than targeting users.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks. So with a VPN running it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to differentiate between Netflix/Youtube etc and an IPTV stream?

Not exactly. In very basic terms, the VPNs would be between the user and the service (user - VPN - service). The others would more likely be user - service. The broadcaster would require access to the traffic data from an ISP and that's what most do not have at the moment. VPNs can easily be identified (not the content) and there are providers who publish lists of VPN IP addresses. IP addresses are also be used to block on a geographical basis.

The lack of access to the traffic data is one problem that most broadcasters cannot overcome yet. With access to the traffic data, a user IP that repeatedly goes active with a VPN when a soccer matches are on could be a possible dodgy box user. However, proving (in legal terms) that the user is a dodgy box user is completely different.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

When you stop and think about it, isn't "dodgy box" the most wonderful way to describe the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I listened to this Why Do You Hate Me episode on BBC Radio. It mentioned that as well as hunting trolls, the Premier League hunt down the thieves who steal their TV coverage. I'd say they are picking up some useful information from social media threads like this one.

Released On: 21 Feb 2024 Available for over a year.

The Premier League has told the BBC it’s fighting a rise in social media threats against both its players and their families, with a team dedicated to hunting down online trolls. The BBC’s Disinformation and social media correspondent Marianna Spring goes inside the team for the first time, talks to striker Neal Maupay about social media abuse - and tracks down the man they helped convict for threatening him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not really, the boxes or devices themselves are perfectly legal for streaming netflix, prime, disney etc. Its the android side loaded apps are the illegal thing, so you can't ban the hardware.

Funny, my dad rang me recently (he uses the IPTV to watch the sports) that the sky man was coming to fix something, should he disconnect the "dodgy box" encase he sees it. Had to explain the device is legal, the sky man has no way to check your using it for illegal streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The apps themselves are legal as well. They don't provide the content themselves, merely allow access to it via various links/connection methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think it is very important and beneficial to be signed up to one of the "reputable" VPN's when streaming and using IPTV as the main or only source of streaming content. To constantly have the VPN enabled on the device will indicate to the ISP, yes the customer is using VPN software and if they are monitoring activity, they can see that the customer is streaming large amounts of data but AFAIK all the ISP can see is "gobbledygook". What also maybe worth considering, if a customer is paying a premium rate for a high speed connection, is it in the ISPs best interest (Sky, Virgin Media et al) to lose that customer?

Regarding all VPN's, apparently they do store logs but delete or flush them when being audited for reviews etc. VPN's are not 100% safe and should never be used for anything "illegal" but as a means to disguise an IP and encrypt data. But for those intent on seriously streaming IPTV, I would recommend routing all data to and from the device through a reliable (always on) VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the service does have an Irish name but he does not need a digout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Segment on it on the lunchtime news just now. Not exactly what you might call an "in depth" interview with a spokesperson from FACT. Lots of references to the sellers of dodgy boxes as CRIMINALS.

Guy from FACT telling consumers to cancel their subscriptions. Cue lots of innocent people cancelling NetFlix because they think he is referring to that. 🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's nothing dodgy or illegal about using a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Or any android box. Even using smarters app or any of the other apps are perfectly legal in themselves. What is illegal is the use of them to connect to illegal streams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nobody can prove you did if you use a VPN. You are quite entitled to encrypt your internet usage.

The argument could be that you were using the IPTV sub for FTA channels.

Prove that I was viewing a PL match on the sub.

It would be an extremely difficult case to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It is another positive for making the argument for using a VPN. ALWAYS ON and streaming - no patterns for example: The VPN software being enabled just before Saturday 3pm or Sunday 4pm kick-off. In the long-term maybe blocking VPN IP's? Honestly, thought I think it's a pandora's box that the ISP's would rather not open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

End users won't get done at all. What are they going to do? Drag 100,000's people through the courts for not paying to watch the Liverpool game?

There is massive criminal enterprises supplying these streams, its not some fella in his shed. This is a PR campaign, try to scare people, convict a few mid level resellers, to scare off anyone else from thinking they can do the same.

Me: What are you in for?

Prisoner: Murder, you?

Me: Watched the Liverpool vs burnley game.

There is no way to identify the end users. The news report said they sent 20 cease and desist notifications to the sellers of the boxes. I chuckled when they mentioned that some of them had been sent letters and some emails, so the defence of "Oh sorry, your email went into my spam box" can still be used by the sellers. You can tell how seriously they are taking this by not even sending gardai out to the sellers homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

There is nothing dodgy about most of these boxes at all.

The opposite in fact.

I have Sky stream.....rubbish.

They have no authority in Ireland that lot. All the resellers will have to do is change up processes for reselling. As someone else said cash in a an envelope. That's how my old card sharing worked. I'd meet him in McDonalds Grafton Street. I swear to god.

Sky q and Virgin Horizon are two of the dodgiest boxes around in my opening

Oh I know.

Had to laugh at this bit from one of the articles though:

"Fact claim it is already having an impact, with "the vast majority of illegal streaming services being shut down"."

Hahahahahahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Advertisement