Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I agree 100%, the exception would be people living on the main street of towns etc that have the same easily surmount able obstacles as apartment dwellers if there was an appetite to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They do a lot of ad hoc long trips. Running up to Dublin for something. Or back home at the weekend, usually in a rush, and usually with no destination charger. Often non stop. They do it at peak time when the. High speed chargers on route are in peak demand too.

I think ICE will hang on with at least 50% of the market in Ireland. But it might be a case you'll have to take what's available.

Struggled to find decent used manual petrol in what I wanted. Everything was diesel and auto. Usually high miles too. I just got rid a diesel auto..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I wouldn't agree with the part about ad hoc trips. Not many people will jump in their car and drive for hours without some planning, no matter what the fuel is. There will always be exceptions but living rurally and having an EV is not an issue for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

And that's the upside-down bit of it all. EVs are ideally suited to so many rural commutes and a higher percentage of people living in rural areas live in houses and can charge at home. Rural/suburban commuters usually have longer commutes than urban dwellers and replacing these with an EV will benefit climate change more and have a larger reduction in fuel costs for their owners.

My sister only uses her car for the 25km drive to work/family. The car has probably never done more than 70km in a single day. My brother in-law has a 40km commute to work but has 10 longer trips a year around Ireland. They could get 1 EV to replace my BIL's car for the longer commute and take my sisters car for the around Ireland drives. But although it makes financial sense for them, they're reluctant to change.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Much of this skepticism can be traced back to Elon Musk and a persistent fear of globalism. Ironically, those who fear these changes are often the most influenced by them. Many struggle to accept that Elon produces exceptional cars that differ significantly from the vehicles they grew up with. As technology advances, EVs are sometimes unfairly dismissed as mere novelties, unnecessary in our lives.

Another point of contention arises from pushback against government policies. While governments do exert influence, most individuals still have the autonomy to make their own decisions regarding EV adoption.

Returning to the Elon Musk angle, there’s a cohort of middle-aged men who resent the decline of traditional car manufacturers. They grapple with the fact that legacy automakers no longer dominate the market, with an unconventional American tech guru now leading the charge. For some, clinging to their diesel vehicles becomes a symbolic act—a defiant response to the rise of EVs and the perceived Americanisation of the automotive industry.

The blanket statement that irks me the most is the assertion that “EVs are not the solution.” But what exactly are they not a solution to? It’s curious that hydrogen fuel cells are often touted as an alternative to EVs, even though EVs have yet to make a significant global impact. Why can’t both technologies coexist, much like diesel and petrol do today?

For years, I’ve hoped for an influential figure to debunk the notion that EVs are inherently flawed. Perhaps a compelling Netflix documentary could provide factual insights, allowing people to form their own opinions rather than relying on the biased views of Jeremy Clarkson, Harry Metcalfe, and Chris Harris. These individuals, die-hard petrolheads from a different era, may not fully appreciate the transformative potential of EVs.

As an old-timer myself, I understand the importance of technological progress and its positive impact on the world. However, there’s one thing that really gets under my skin: when fellow old-timers use their old cars as a political statement rather than simply enjoying them for what they are and using them to avoid putting another new car on the road. After all, old cars and electric vehicles both serve the same fundamental purpose: getting us from point A to point B.

Why the fuss? Well, it seems to stem from a clash of ideologies. Some view EVs as the future—a cleaner, more sustainable way to travel—while others cling to the nostalgia of classic automobiles. But in the end, whether you’re cruising in an old BMW or silently gliding in a Tesla, the destination remains the same. So let’s appreciate the journey, regardless of the wheels beneath us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I live at the foothills of the knockmealdowns, what many would consider the back and beyonds of rural Ireland. We're 10km from the nearest EV charger (the only one within a 25 minute drive) yet an EV would suit me and my neighbours down to the ground. Even a cheap Dacia Spring would do the daily 50-60km round trip commute many of my neighbours do Monday to Friday. An EV could easily be topped nightly at home if range is a concern but the aforementioned Spring would only need to be charged twice a week to cater for the the needs myself and my neighbours would have in this part of rural Ireland.

Misinformation seems to be the biggest battle ahead.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would argue rural areas are where people have off street parking, own their own homes and so can get home charger, can get solar panels for charging cars for free. Often commutes to school and work are long, with modern EVs range of 300km+ it may make sense for many. Urban on street is an issue. I know someone driving a Mercedes ICE cannot buy a Mercedes EV due to on street parking with no charger (and cost of car). They would be mad to try.

In terms of a step change in EV vs ICE, a lot of brand new car sales are not EV and while sales of diesels are dropping many owners are simply holding off buying anything due to cost and confusion over EV. Many car owners can't decide and just keep what they have an delay. Massive depreciation, massive price increases in recent years, price drops and more price drops, trade in prices, high interest rates just cause people to hang on to what they have. The Mercedes owner I know did his first NCT ever as he never has had a 4 year old car.

As an EV owner I am not telling everyone to go EV, public charging is still an issue at peak times, although with a long range EV it's less of an issue. There is lots of mis information but some of it is somewhat relevant.

In terms of getting a home charger it's better to get one before the EV arrives as it can take a month or two and if you were grant approved before December 2023 you will get 600 euro grant, no need to have an EV, but you need to claim before grant expires. It can take surprisingly long to get a home charger installed.

I think it's simpler than that. People can't be bothered with any faffing about.

Many little just want something that can fix with screwdriver. There's merit to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

A lot of the people I know do ad hoc journeys. Maybe home to a sick parent, or to Dublin for something. Business or such. When they get to their destination they have to do more driving around.

But for sure it not everyone. But it's still a valid scenario. Many have a 2nd ICE car anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I understand the home charging point thing is mainly an urban issue, I meant main rural issue is range anxiety.

Replies since suggest its less than people think, as not every country-dweller is doing Dublin-Cork roundtrips every week. But even knowing there's infrequent intercity trips required, along with route planning to think about is going to be off-putting. Not everyone is willing to change the mindset.

I visit Wexford (from Dublin) several times a year, and looking at what chargers are available en route I'm not sure I want to deal with that trip with three kids and a dog. Especially the way the motorway eats charge, and the winter range.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

I would disagree on one simple count - rural drivers have longer commutes, so they actually end up benefiting more from EV's.

E.g. My parents live rural, both have a 50-75km round trip daily commute for work. Any modern EV has the range to last the whole week so charging each car overnight isn't an issue.

A combined 750km a week (incl. shopping trips etc.) was costing them ~€90 a week in their old petrol cars

An EV? Well assuming a reasonably efficient 17kwh/100km (which my parents are getting), you would need 127.5 KWh a week.

On the overnight EV plan at 8c/kWh (lowering in price soon) that's..... €10.20 a week. There's plans out there that even do as low as 5c/kWh.

My parents keep their cars for 10-15 years. So 80 quid saved times 46 weeks a year times 15 years is..... €55,200 saved in fuel over the life of the vehicles. Not even counting servicing costs or the fact they have solar panels.

Combine that with the fact the likes of an MG4 now costs less than a Paddy-spec feature-less manual transmission VW Golf? Yeah you'd have to be knee-deep in the Anti-EV kool-aid to not consider them even for rural owners. And if you're a rural user who's worried about your twice yearly trip to Dublin Airport? Just buy a Tesla and use the Supercharger network, and it's a non-issue. Model 3 is the same price as a specced up Golf now anyway!

Not having a go, just dispelling the myth that EV's somehow aren't suited to rural users.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've been doing Waterford (occasionally Tramore) weekly for the past year from Dublin via Enniscorthy. Ionity Gorey is the failsafe if I'm low on the way back, but I haven't needed to stop there yet. 2 kids and a dog, but their weight would be negligible compared to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I do Dublin to the very south of Wexford regularly and dont need to stop to charge. Sometimes I stop and dont bother charging and sometimes I stop and get some charge for the sake of it. Applegreen in Coynes cross and Ionity at Gorey are both 2 handy locations that are a typical stopping point for trips for toilet breaks or a snack if needed.

People have this mindset that if your car cant do a 600km round trip in one go, then there is no point. Yet a lot of people would still stop on a journey of this length for 15 or 20 mins anyway, which is enough on a fast charge to complete the journey just fine. Its also usually people who havent used an EV or no experience of charging who think that it is a hassle or awkward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Its totally a mindset thing, though there will always be people for who it just doesn't suit.

But the money that can be saved in the longer term on fuel will chip away on the rest for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I live at the foot of the Slieve Bloom mountains and the nearest public charger is around 20km away. Coming up to a year of EV ownership and I have only used a public charger 3 times.

Every time it was my wife's fault for not telling me it was low and needed charging, so realistically, I didn't need to use them! Each time, I pulled up to the charger, - no queues, went to the toilet, and grabbed a coffee. By the time I came out, I had usually added around 30 kwh which was more than enough to get me home. I regularly travel to Dublin and if it's charged it to 100%, I have no problems with the range. Gone to Waterford and Cork too with no need to charge.

When considering buying an EV, the range was always deterring me, but when I actually examined my daily mileage, I realised that I rarely go over 250 - 300km a day. The fact that I never technically 'needed' to use a public charger proves this.

IMO, rural is perfect for an EV but I think the pushback stems from people being told they will have to adopt. There is a lot of misinformation and even hatred towards EVs... why anyone could hate an inanimate object is beyond me! On many occasions, my wife's work colleagues have peddled nonsense to her including

• EV's are deathtraps that will spontaneously combust
    • The batteries fail and cost more than the car to replace
    • The range will drop to next to nothing in winter
    • Insurance will go up - ironically, mine went down by over 50% / €300 and I'm only paying €310 for fully comp with NCB protection
    • Our EV will be worth nothing in 3 years

I just laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Woodie40

That’s true they are becoming the affordable brand for the savvy consumer who is not bothered about brands.

Seeing lots of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We have 1 director in work clinging on for dear life for another x5 company car which he is not getting, and is in a huff about it. Everyone else in management team with company car is now EV.

I took a trip with him today from Dublin to cork, he was driving the x5, he stopped on the way down for something to eat and do some emails and stopped on the way back too.

Where did he stop each time? A Circle K. And what did circle K have? 350kw Chargers (I know you won't get 350 or anything resembling it but we would be fully charged in time we had our sandwich and coffee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

too true.

You see the comments in boards travel section that Cork people find Rosslare like the other end of the world, and on the continent anything more than a couple of hours drive is seen as equivalent to the Le Mans 24 hours, they either avoid long drives like the plague or like the bossman above, have relatively unnecessary comfort stops.

The media articles slanting Evs really need to acknowledge this and show that for a large chunk of drivers that even an Ev with relatively low range would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Polestar is massively overpriced for what it is

BYD isn’t within an ass roar of replacing Kia and Hyundai. It like the Tesla, are people will buy because they think it’s funky etc, then it will fall short of the dramatic taking over the World

Diesel will always have a market, I’m sure people posted 5 years ago the same thing. It’s still a hugely successful fuel and excellent for some requirements

Dacia will be bought by Dacia buyers, BYD will be bought by similar, they will eat each others market share.

Try telling someone that is buy a new Merc/BMW/Audi/Vw and even a Tesla they will be buying a Dacia in 5 years and they will rightly laugh at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Late to the thread and not on top of things information wise but for me a massive concern would be initial outlay, depreciation and resale value. Like how much is a 3, 4 or 5 year old EV going to be worth especially wrt battery degradation? Like what will that same degradation do to range which is even at brand new and most optimistic values only just ok.

Am I wrong?

You buy a 3-4 yr old at 35-40% the price and still with 95+% the range.

Do you need 300km each day? Because that's what half decent EV's can currently do. Pop over to the ID3 thread and you can see owners report only 5 to 6% battery degradation after 3 years.

As for outlay a 4 year old ID3 can be picked up for under 20k with the initial whack of depreciation behind it. That's on par with ice cars of a similar spec.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Well if you bothered to look in the byd seal thread you'll find multiple boardsies who've traded their beemers and tesla for the seal so in 2024 you're already way off the mark nevermind in 2027 to 2030.

...and why would a VW polo driver laugh at me for suggesting a Dacia Spring or VW Tiguan driver buy a Atto 3??? I never said or suggested someone driving a 530d will be hopping into a Dacia Spring in 3 to 5 years 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thats not so bad, must look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you say so 👍

Next time I will list out every possible car change and model just to clarify for you 👍

In regards to diesel, people will still be selling diesel in 5 years no problem.

Electric is just a fuel, like other fuels used in cars.

I understand people's concerns regarding battery and yes, the battery will degrade but not to the levels that many think. It's also worth noting and it's often overlooked in the discussion, that ICE engines will also lose performance and fuel efficiency.

ICE engines have many components that need replacement that are not present with an EV. Oil, fuel filters, and regular servicing are vital to keeping an ICE performing optimally, but there will always be carbon build-up. Then you have other things like timing belts, exhaust, DPF, ignition coils /spark plugs, etc. The drivetrain in an ICE vehicle contains around 2,000 moving parts, whereas the drivetrain in an EV contains around 20... plus there is no carbon build-up to worry about.

Naysayers will always circle back to the battery, but battery tech has improved immensely in the last 10 years. Spin-off companies that can replace cells rather than batteries are popping up and batteries are lasting a lot longer now. People understand how to manage and maintain their battery and they know how to get the most of out them. Most new batteries will outlast the car nowadays.

• Advertisement

Try telling someone that is buy a new Merc/BMW/Audi/Vw and even a Tesla they will be buying a Dacia in 5 years and they will rightly laugh at you.

Of course they would and it's laughable to even suggest this. A Merc driver will probably buy an EQS, A BMW driver will probably opt for an i4, an Audi driver an eTron, and so forth. Some may look at other brands that have better tech or better range.

BYD isn’t within an ass roar of replacing Kia and Hyundai. It like the Tesla, are people will buy because they think it’s funky etc, then it will fall short of the dramatic taking over the World

Funnily enough, I remember when both Hyundai and Kia came to these shores and many in the trade said the same thing about those brands... Kia to a lesser extent as Hyundai had already rocked the market. Both of them took big chunks out of Ford, Opel, and other well-established brands. I don't think BYD will replace Hyundai or Kia as they can see the threat and they have adapted, but it will affect their profit margins.

Advertisement