Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we having a referendum on Women in the Home?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: please read and understand the forum charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Another valid reason to vote no

The politicians who want the women in the home referendum passed have such utter contempt for the public that they won't allow a result if it is a No vote, just keep re-running it until they get the vote they want.

The whole thing has been pushed through so quickly that it indicates to me there is definitely some sort of ulterior motive at play

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Sinn Fein aren't in power. Why would you let something an opposition TD said guide your decision either way? If you want to punish Sinn Fein then vote against them in the next general election.

But they may get into power.Next election is 1 year away.

Any political party suggesting re-running a referendum fairly quickly after it fails and mentioning re-running a referendum in the weeks before the vote is showing nothing but contempt for the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Sinn Fein showing contempt for the public is tradition for them at this stage. Still, it has nothing to do with this referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Varadkar, Martin, and Ryan increased the NO vote by many thousands I'd say today when they walked off the stage unwilling to defend their YES campaign.

It does because it shows that they obviously are unwilling to do a proper job convincing people to vote yes and clearly think the public's concerns aren't worthwhile.

Any time a political party shows contempt for the public or suggests to people who make arguments against something to not worry it's for your own good you need to accept it, arouses suspicion and suggests that what they are pushing has some ulterior motive that they don't want to tell us about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They were leaving anyhow when a "journalist" asked a question without following the normal press protocol that proper journaliss adhere to. They were right to ignore him and the [insert derogatory words here] outlet he works for

• Registered Users Posts: 55,687 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because people sitting around got bored, thought this nonsense up, and are running with it… and you’ll be happy to know, that if rejected, SF will run it again if they get into power. Couldn’t make this Sh1t up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

More to the point these guys need to start voting for parties with ideologies that match their own more closely that would not be pushing this sort of referendum in the first place, rather than sitting around on the Internet bellyaching about the current lot pursuing policies entirely in keeping with their declared ideologies. I'm not surprised SF would do this although I am a bit they would declare their intention to do so in advance of the 'first run' of the referendums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nearly 30 40 years ago we were told we must vote against divorce because it would break up farms... 🙄

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The phrase "re-arranging deckchairs on the titanic" is very apt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

clearly think the public's concerns aren't worthwhile.

In fairness to Mary Lou, she said they'd re run the referendum with different wording, depending on what they go with it could address most of the concerns (the care referendum), or at least make it clearer exactly what we're voting on and the repercussions (for the family referendum)

There was a real genuine need for divorce though, the absence of it was felt by a large amount of people. Not sure there is as much need for this women in the home and durable relationship referendum.The government can't even properly tell everyone what they are voting for.

Maybe in order to save a lot of money for the country a better thing the government could have done is not waste money on this referendum and simply tell people:

"If you want the legal protections afforded to married couples then get married.You need to stop viewing marriage as a romantic gesture and simply view it as a legal agreement between 2 people"

Unless of course the durable relationship is something that you don't actually know you are in and the government aren't willing to admit that this is the case and is a way to trapping people with responsibilities they may not want to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Despite views on Mary Lou the above is worth repeating

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

A lot of people seem to think the government is attempting to "distract" people with the referendum. The reason we are having the referendum is because there was an Oireachtas Committee that suggested these changes (however the government decided not to implement all their changes which is why it is so vague and for example doesn't cover all forms of care). Not everything is a conspiracy!

It's not the end of the world as some nutters say, but it's an ineffective amendment that doesn't provide a lot of positive change.

It's not up to a child whether their parents are married or not, their family deserves recognition regardless. Not everyone is in a position to get married. What about single parents? or kids brought up by grandparents or other relatives, etc? are they not a family too?

The whole "women's duties in the home" thing is ridiculously archaic - was regarded as such even in the 1930s by some. It doesn't deserve to be in our constitution (along with all the god crap, but one thing at a time)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It doesn't say the women's duties are in the home

It says the state recognise work women do in the home as key to the functioning of society.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Which is basically the only time it mentions women.

It doesn't say it directly, but it very much implies it.

• Advertisement

Really? And in what way have women been confined to the home in recent decades?

It has no affect on women's lives at all anymore in fact you could argue it could prove to be beneficial to women. By having a line in the constitution that recognises that work in the home is a real thing is good for women as it could be used to argue the state should support work in the home more by offering help for women who have jobs and have to look after their families aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Really? And in what way have women been confined to the home in recent decades?

I mean, societally still quite a bit. But I don't think that is a constitutional issue.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to not want that implication in the document that defines our country, even if it has no discernible immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Jesus I hope you’re not voting because you haven’t read/watched literally anything about it. It doesn’t say “the woman’s duties in a home”.

This is the way the government would like you to think though I’m sure. Unfortunately it’s written in the constitution in plain English.

As for the durable relationship. Yeah that’s wide open to interpretation at the mercy of a judge. If there was a way to make men’s rights even less in a court room I could imagine a few reasons this wording could be damaging. So now you don’t have to be married for the woman to take everything belonging to you.

I advise you to watch debate and read a bit more about what you’re signing up to.

If they want to use durable relationship they need to define the meaning behind it instead of rambling nonsense when asked. Its actually pretty scary because either

A. The government are too stupid to understand what they are actually doing and so this makes updating the constitution dangerous or

B. They know exactly what they are doing and are preying on people to make the wrong decision by throwing around incorrect phrasing like women’s duties are in the home and what about the children and all those other nice relationships we need to recognise.

I didn't say that it did, champ.

It doesn't say that a woman's duties are only in the home - but it does refer to, and I quote directly, "their duties in the home". If women have duties in the home, why don't men have duties in the home?

It's archaic sexist balderdash any way you try to slice it.

You also completely dodged the point about it being unfair that some children's families have constitutional recognition but others don't.

Jesus I hope you’re not voting because you haven’t read/watched literally anything about it. It doesn’t say “the woman’s duties in a home”.

Another one who doesn't read a post properly and then goes off on a rant.

I didn't say that it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

That ĺeaflet dropped in the door by ref commission is a nonsense .

Voting No x2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It sets out what is happening with no opinion

The two rewordings are a cluster fcuk

" durexable relationships"

Clear enough for me to no by 2

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Durexable relationship = someone you're not sure if you want to have a child with 😁

@CoastalCork why is it a nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

If women are kept outside the home, wouldn't it eliminate all the other problems in a few decades?

Well, unless you wanted to put on a bit of a show for next doors anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely an enduring relationship is one that is meant to endure for ever - "till death do us part". This is, I would posit, a question of intention of the parties at the start and for a significant period. Some couples do not wish to 'marry' formally, but intend to live as if they were.

If a couple live together and intend to have children together and raise them as a family, then that is an enduring relationship. Alternatively, intend together in mutual support without having children as a single household. [That is not a prescriptive or exclusive definition].

If a grandparent takes over the raising of their grandchildren because, for whatever reason, that the natural parents have resiled from doing so, then that is an enduring relationship. The grandparent, at least at the start, has no intention of ending that relationship. The behaviour of the children as they grow might modify that relationship - for example, drug addiction of the children might make that relationship impossible.

Basically the test for an enduring relationship might be the intention of the parties in starting and maintaining that relationship that it is to be 'for ever'.

There is significant body of case law in the EU and ECHR to guide the courts.

[I am not a lawyer].

Advertisement