Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Money would be on Ulster at the minute. Connacht still have 4 very winnable games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I think is a wee bit, a little bit more likely Edinburgh and Ospreys are both dropped, schedules are harder

Irish provinces 6th, 7th, and 8th

hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

To be fair ospreys is the only decent Welsh team and it is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

Connacht are a lot better than the performance on Saturday but history shows that they are likely to have a couple of away no-shows against the weaker teams. For all our moaning online the coaches were probably delighted to leave with a win for a change.

If the remaining fixtures go anywhere close to form the final top eight spots will be very tight. Connacht are in a great situation having made our away SA trip and played most of the stronger teams already, but I still have a nagging feeling that the Interpro in Thomond Park might become a must win game.

Post edited by conncussed on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭typhoony

True but if we play like we did against Cardiff I think we are favorites to finish in 9th position

• Advertisement

Definitely. We need to deliver bonus point wins with from Scarlets (H), Lions (H), Zebre (H), and Dragons (A). If we can do that then we'll likely just need to pick up one win across the harder games to get across the line. If we can't then maybe we really are a ninth place team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Distribution of minutes so far this season, quite an even spread with a few mainstays and a few who are seemingly not rated and will presumably leave this summer (Burke, McCormack, and Cordero not shown). McElroy and Darragh Murray probably the big winners so far, while injuries and good performances have probably cleared a path for Andrew Smith to have a strong debut season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭serfboard

Oh My God. What an awful match that was. Connacht nearly doing a Connacht on it and beating themselves. You can imagine the subs sitting on the bench thinking, I could do a better job than that. And most of them did, thankfully. I know the conditions were atrocious, but the attitude of the starting team seemed all wrong, nearly made worse by being a man, and then two, up. Bernard Jackman made some reference to the team doing a lot of S&C training rather than actual rugby over the break, maybe that contributed to it?

Anyway, it's great that we have a reliable penalty kicker now, though I'd still contend that Jack is a better 10 in open play.

I missed that comment from Jackman but it might make sense. After 13 consecutive game weekends then a holiday week the coaches may have needed to get some S&C workload into the squad. These post-RWC seasons are strange. They'll have been going from game to game all season trying to fix technical problems with limited training minutes.

Surely that would be more of a reason to work on the on field issues we could clear see over the last block?

• Advertisement

I think it works the other way too. Even with some rotation, the lads who are playing week in week out will probably have been managing their bodies and mainly doing technical work that doesn't overly tire them. They probably haven't had a notable S&C block since the start of October. I agree that it looks like they got the prep wrong for Cardiff but I can see why they'd switch focus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was just looking at the URC table this morning and noticed Connacht only have 1 try bonus point this season. One of the worst in the league for it only behind the Sharks and Dragons who are the bottom two.

Yeah the Glasgow and Bulls games felt like big missed opportunities at the time, hopefully it doesn't cost us.

We've left a couple of TBP opportunities behind but we've also played in a lot of matches against the stronger non-Irish teams with a very narrow winning margin. Four of our next five games are strong TBP opportunities if we play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Our attack structure looks like it's a work in progress, being kind. Very noticeable that the 10's both of them are not passing, they are just moving the ball one man out. We know jack has a great range of passing but is no longer using it. No idea what we are trying to do.

If you watched much of the u20s when Sexton was coaching, in particular at the JRWC, the attack was very similar - lots of short passing to flat runners. That team had such a good pack for the level that playing such a simple shape was viable, I'm not sure we have the same luxury. I don't think I've seen Hanrahan throw a pass more than 5m this season, and I'm not convinced he has it in his locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was looking at the stats myself and there are three teams around us (Stormers, Ospreys, Ulster) who have the same record as us - played 10, won 6, lost 4. The Stormers are currently sixth in the table (on 30 points), we are tenth (on 28). The difference is that they have 6 BPs, we have 4. Very slim margins but making a difference in table placings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah BPs could well be crucial to us by the end of the season.

Critical to win the home games against Scarlets, Lions, Zebre and away to the Dragons.

Two try BPs from the above & nabbing a couple of losing BPs against two of Benetton, Leinster, Munster, Stormers and Edinburgh would see us on 50 points and should be enough for the last playoff spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I think we will need 53 to make the top 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Will Connacht win over or get lbp at least Benetton away? (Maybe Benetton will use near best members) I think that Connacht need super-hard physical「training」.(not enough hard working) You looked at LHP of Cardiff who played 80min full time although containing above 130kg. Maybe he has been physical hard training through 6N breaking time.He was very strong especially at the maul. Connacht struggled it. On the other hand, Benetton has a very strong FW. So from the next game, Connacht should select some bigger FWs as possible. I think that a few backrowers will reach to the standard of the URC physical revel. Whithout win at the physical fight, Connacht cannot win. (for example, 6=Dowling, 7=SHL, 8=Prendergast.) And then Bealham will be back, so Connacht's mauling(both atack and defence) will become stronger than current pack.

I would like to see us try Niall Murray at 6 as an edge forward, the same way Leinster and Munster use Baird and Ahern. He played a bit of back row for Ireland u20s so wouldn't be completely new to him.

This is actually a good idea. He’s got blistering pace for a lock and would add serious threats at lineout time.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I think that this idea deserves to test at some actual matches because he looks to have very high learning abirity. and he canrun fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rumoured that Connacht will be releasing 8 players ahead of next season. Presumably some at least due to cost cutting with reduced gate revenue with no Clan Stand next season.

Obviously upgraded facilities badly needed but it may affect the quality and depth available on the pitch over the next couple years until work is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thornbury will probably be released. Duggan and McCormick don't play much, so very possible. Boyle is on a 1 year contract? Daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Matthew Burke, Oran McNulty and McCormack are 3 who come to mind who don't seem to be getting any game time the last couple of seasons. Tom Daly seems to be struggling for game time also, same with Boyle who was very unlucky with his face injury as he seemed to be playing well and working his way back to form.

Id be hopeful we would keep him and Thornbury but hasn't been any word of Gavin since he came before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'd add Mcnamara to that list too. He seems to be out in the cold.

There are 8 players in the senior squad with less than 80 minutes played this season, which suggests to me that we have some wiggle room. We also basically never use our academy so could lean on those lads to prop up the bottom of the depth chart. I can imagine the 8 released looking something like:

Matthew Burke

Dominic Robertson-McCoy

Gavin Thornbury

Oisin McCormack

Tom Daly

Liam McNamara

With perhaps a few surprises like Boyle, Tom Farrell, or Tiernan O'Halloran.

• Advertisement

Around eight players moving on sounds about normal for a season regardless of stadium plans. We have a lot of decent squad players, a limited number of regular season games, and we're not losing many to International duty.

Advertisement