Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

1.1bn loss…5.5bn set aside for the Ukrainians this year

Fùcking crazy we never got Metrolink built with the cash we’re willing to throw around on other things

Could build tens and tens of thousands of houses for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

At some point in the near future our books won't balance. That is a fact. Government spending has increased by over 50% since 2019. At the same time indigenous enterprises like tourism has been thrown to the wolves. Its completely unsustainable.

Lets play this great humanitarian effort forward a couple of years.

How will people feel about us paying 6bn+ a year on IPA's when we are losing jobs, paying higher taxes, public services axed, we have been there before and it ain't pretty. The moment that happens the public's attitude to migrants will sour overnight. Newly formed Right-wing parties will form a government (some WILL be far-right nut-jobs). All these migrants in The D Hotel etc will be turfed out on the street because our future right-wing government won't have the money to pay 13m a year for it, and at this point the public will resent migrants anyway. So we have tens of thousands of migrants on our streets scrapping for services. Obviously some will resort to crime. How can you blame them. Was this the great life you had planned for them?

So those thinking you are helping immigrants today by a corrupt and unsustainable overloading of a broken system are very mistaken. We could have sustainably taken 5-10k IPA's a year for the next 20+ years with proper planning and infrastructure in place (Capital expenditure, not current expenditure by government). These could be integrated into our society while maintaining a positive attitude to immigration.

So over the course of your petty little lives (you know who you are on this thread) you could have actually helped 100's of thousands of IPA's integrate successfully in this country, but instead you push for unsustainable 'bring them first, sort the issues later' approach which will result in far fewer successfully integrated IPA's and a right-wing country for years. Good work! At that point you'll be over immigrants anyway and you'll be campaigning the next big thing whatever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

A truly great post @smallbeef .

Bookmark this one folks - it's coming as sure as night follows day.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard Failte Ireland CEO on this morning - he was gung ho about tourism in Dublin and wealthy yanks coming to visit. But more or less admitted that elsewhere both domestic and international tourism is badly damaged. Something about compensation for businesses affected - message must be finally getting through with elections looming.

• Advertisement

I caught the end of that and was wondering which gov mouthpiece I was listening to when they identified him!

No problem for 'attractions' apparently, they'll be compensated for being empty.

I'd like to read the terms and conditions of that application....

Clearly he's a political appointee as he didn't seem to see any problem bar that "Dublin needs more hotels"

The whole stinking lot of insider Ireland, PS, Gov, Businesses, Media, - they're all in lockstep - the Cnnts.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Great post - I'd agree.

It's scary how much unsustainable spending is being propped up by the FDI sector. If that golden goose ever takes flight, we are fcuked.

This Government has done nothing to support Irish indigenous industries, they have just spunked away, what is in effect, an FDI windfall-tax on whatever the social-media 'cause du jour' happens to be. A few years ago it was Covid-theatre and now it's refugees.

The billions lost to this showboating could have transformed Irish society for future generations. Imagine the investments in Health, Housing, Transport and Education which could have been made with the billions being frittered away.

The worst thing is, the only viable alternatives to this Government will likely be far worse.

I think we, and our kids, are facing into a very bleak future.

I agree - every generation has it's challenges but I think it's fair to say that anyone born mid 1990s on has had a raw deal in many ways. And studies will look back and lament the inexorable changes brought on Irish society which have been developing and then ratcheted up post Covid. Shame on us for allowing it to happen I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Great post. There was a very similar, thoroughly thought out and reasoned post on that weird little forum reddit Ireland and the comments were mind-boggling. The deflection and name-calling was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I was one of the lucky folks to have finished school in the 1990's and there were plenty of jobs especially in the Tech sector usually call centre roles but it was a start and a great start of a lot of us from which we were able to move into other positions and grow. I always thought that we would kick on from FDI and build as you say our own indigenous companies that would then make us less dependent on the FDI companies but as you say we seemed to have stifled indigenous companies and we seem more dependent on these companies now than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Lack of growth of domestic industry is a disgrace.

We are in an appalling situation as a country economically because we are far too reliant on foreign investment and if it disappears we're fucked.

So we have a country which is completely dependent on the rest of the world for any economic prosperity and also completely dependent on the rest of the world for our physical protection as we don;'t have our own armed forces.

And yet all the politicians and political parties (or very few of them at least) don't seem to have had the slightest problem with this over the years.

So despite being an "independent country" we're probably one of the least independent countries in the world right now.

I think it is a damning indictment of us as a country that we have not moved on and become less reliant on FDI and built our own indigenous companies. We have seemed to have settled for what we have or maybe I am being to harsh and we do have indigenous companies but are all too small or a one person show?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are some very big ones out there : Kerry Group, Smurfit Kappa, CRH, Ryanair, Primark etc

Are they big enough employers in the state to keep the economy going like FDI?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a good question - I believe I read somewhere that FDIs employ only around 10% of workers but generate considerably greater wealth overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

But..but....remember the Irish emigrated.....and we had 8 million before the famine.....and we need them to pay our pensions....

“We could train them to build houses for us” is one of the best ones

Rather than just training our own untrained people, we bring in other untrained people, likely without great English, who will also need houses, to build houses. Makes a lot of sense

That stat wouldn't surprise me. Having worked in a couple of these multinational companies they are always looking to cut their workforce or get more bang for the buck from the worker especially when it comes to high wage economy's like ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

He's a Govt appointee. Any hint about the imminent crash in tourism due to the removal of so many hotel beds from the system would have cost him his job.

What a corrupt Fcuking Basatrd.

Whilst my summer tourism job will be fine thanks to American millionaires/billionaires, many of my colleagues who drove or guided Europeans won't.

There's also literally thousands of small businesses who were barely hanging on the last summer or two, who won't be around this year at all.

Each one of those is another usually indigenous Irish family breadwinner who will now have to commute from rural Ireland into a city or town and compete with the whole third world for a minimum wage job.

I'm currently struggling to get health care for my daughter who is nearly 6 for a condition diagnosed at 20 week scan..

Off to Cork again tomorrow to fight to get treatment. "No budget" for this, "Not covered by" etc etc etc...

Millions (yes, i said millions) paid in taxes in my lifetime... (not getting into how/why)

But there's 6 billion for the rest of the world who never paid or contributed fcuk all....

May God help any candidate for any gov (or compliant "opposition") party who knocks on my door ever again.

I'll serve my sentence for them.

• Advertisement

Local reps in Drogheda deciding to get tough now with Roderic I see.

Deputy mayor says either the D Hotel must agree to a blend of tourist rooms and immigration housing or that the government must cancel the contract. Also mention of 12 million compensation to towns businesses etc.

Things are hotting up and the local elected officials seem to be really pissed off that the state has tried to bypass them.

Interesting to see where this goes but has the potential to cause real political difficulties. Drogheda is not some disadvantaged town/ village down the country that the dept can walk over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If you're a tourist, why would you go stay in a hotel that is also being used to house refugees? The price would want to be very cheap for that. Most likely you'll just not go to Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What annoys me is how Americanised people are getting in Ireland. Many have totally bought into the American dream corporate culture and are obsessed over title, career, money and impressing the overlords, often while neglecting family, health, community etc. You see people prostituting themselves on Linkedin and growing their brand. Doing a masters in something is almost compulsory. Being incredibly woke is another pre-req. And you must own an electric car! Talking in cliches etc, we all know the type. I worked in 2 US MNCs for several years but I got sick of the corporate ladder/values nonsense and it seems to be only getting worse.

I'd much prefer to see more Irish run and owned companies.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

LinkedIn wasn't too bad a few years ago. Could get interesting articles and links from it for topics I was interested in.

Now it seems to be just angry people, 'inspirational' slogans and marketing videos.

Edit: and everyone on it seems to have to be an activist of some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

We stayed in a hotel in Carrick a while back 50:50 mix, it was a disastrous experience, doors closed at 10 or so, hotel bar closed, at 11 or so we were stopped at the door by a security guy questioning us on which number room we were in... Next morning no water from 9 until 3 without warning, said on inquiry at the desk that they had to empty some tank??didn't seem too bothered... All this for €120pp pn no breakfast off season, never again will I darken the door of this establishment under the present management

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

But remember Ireland is a rich country and rolling in the money.😖

In the past month or so I’m looking at my 2 young lads and thinking to myself I hope they are a lot smarter than I was and will get a good education and be more than qualified to go work abroad away from this hellhole that this place could end up being.

its criminal what’s being done to this country where the likes of a Muslim cleric is given so much airtime to call us all racist over a so called attack on him even though their isn’t a scratch on him.where the woke leftists are welcoming every scam artist here and we’re to give them bed and board in their own house and money as well.

if Michael Collins and the boys of 1916 could come back now and see what’s happening they would be saying what ta **** was it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Let's get a grip. Most immigration is by people who are working.

The refugee system needs radical reform

But violence is unacceptable. You should be clear on this.

We need worker in every area you can name. Don't give into hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

For legal people coming here to work and contribute to society 1000%.against the sham of what is going on at the minute .that not being hysterical or falling for bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, like hotel owners are doing this as it's a way to make a load of money without anywhere close to the expenditure on staff, food etc that a tourist would be looking for. Keeping it open for both really just makes it a really bad hotel for tourists

• Advertisement

Have to agree with you, it is annoying to see us adopt this Americanised culture. One of the attractions to the American MNC's coming here was our culture and the relaxed atmosphere in the offices. I worked for a few of these big American corporations and what saddened me most was seeing Irish staff becoming more obsessed that their American counterparts and then the shock that the company could turn around and at the stroke of a pen make them redundant. Some folks just couldn't get over that company could do that to them after all they did.

What is really annoying is the hoops that companies are making people jump through during the interview process, some many rounds of interviews, an interviews with this person/department, another interview with another person in the same department and so on so on. I have even heard of people as part of the interview/hiring process going into the company for a day to see how they all get along. What a load of BS if that is true. Maybe I am just old now but surely an interview with the people in the department doing the hiring and an interview with HR should be enough to know whether someone is capable of doing the job.

Advertisement