Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My local tesco has multipack bottles out at the end of the aisle and a big sign saying "No deposit charged on these items".

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

It's not about whether older people can or cannot use smartphones, it's about cash (still) being a legal tender in this country. This scheme concerns practically all water and drinks sold, so it's not the same as some retailer introducing a loyalty programme for smartphone users only. You can't expect everyone to use a smartphone, with a supported OS, just to receive back their mandatory deposit for liquid containers they have already paid for anyway. Paper is biodegradable and its manufacturing is sustainable. It would however make sense to offer the app route as an alternative to the paper receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jj880

Was a bit of debate after that post. Seems most think security guards wont do anything about it as its not their responsibility. That's probably correct on reflection.

Whats more ridiculous is it seems bin companies are being subsidized for loss of business while us mugs are expected to run round doing the donkey work for this scheme. Bin charges taking off now too. Tesco ripping the hole out of price hikes the last few weeks. Have a look at the Supermarket Price Increase thread. The hits just keep on coming. Those bin charge / price hikes are all a coincidence though. Totally unrelated. Deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Picked up a 12-pack box of Coke this morning, and was charged a €1.80 deposit. Neither the box nor the cans have the return logo, the box has the wording "Return us" and each can have the wording "Return me"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Check the barcode on the Re-turn website.

If it's confirmed there you should be ok.

Hang onto the receipt just in case.

• Advertisement

Not going to lose sleep over it, to be honest. They don't seem to have any consistency in identifying items though, some with logos and some with wording such as above.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

First experience trying to use this at local aldi. Both machines were out of order. One just said out of order and the other suggested i could reach in and remove the containers that had fallen off the conveyor. I peeped in and there were indeed a couple of bottles scattered randomly inside.

I decided not to reach my arm into the hole to try and rectify it. Not a fan of sticking my arm into random machines.

So that was one wasted 6km journey (i dont shop in aldi or indeed any supermarket on a regular basis) but perhaps my second 6km journey at the next attempt will be more successful.

A quick google says that there is app 170 g of co2 per km in a diesel car. So first wasted journey generated 1020g. Google also says the carbon footprint of a 500ml bottle is app 82g co2.

Im not good at maths but i work it out that in around 12 bottles recycled has now been negated. And i haven't actually managed to recycle any of them yet. So my next 6km journey will be another 12 bottles worth of co2 just for the journey. If i bring less than 24 bottles, my attempts will be environmentally negative. If i have to return a third or fourth time, i may as well just set fire to a rain forest.

And thats not including the bin full of rejected stuff beside the non working machine which probably would have been in a home recycle bin were it not for this scheme. Its also not including the stuff that wasnt in a bin and was just blowing around the area. Littering has definitely gotten worse since this started.

Thats also not including driving to a disabled family member who cannot return themselves. That will be another hunk of co2.

But its all about the environment of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Just print out some barcodes on stickers and stick them on to be sure. There are plenty of bar codes for printing popping up now. Ive had a few whatsapped to me already.

I just checked one of those cans for the craic and it is part of the return scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seems you will get the €1.80 back then.

It's messy at the moment with three different types of stock on shelves.

1 old stock not in the scheme, no deposit

2 new stock in the scheme, barcode no logo deposit charged

3 new stock in the scheme, barcode and logo deposit charged

And to add to the confusion some posters have been incorrectly charged a deposit on old stock which is not in the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Why are people in a huff as you went there to get a refund from machine and could have gone inside to get cash but you did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

However, when it comes to anything involving money its a different story. A lot dont want to know and arnt for turning

That's on them. If they don't want to use modern technology, that's fine, but that shouldn't mean everyone who does know how to use a smartphone is limited to a ridiculous paper based system to suit a minority who "don't want to know and arnt for turning".

At minimum there should be both options, then. If there was a smartphone app or even a club card type option available, I think more people would use that, than a paper based voucher.

I know I would. For now, I'm not going to bother with it at all, and will just continue to use my green bin.

• Absolute nonsense. Old people me hat.

My grandad taught himself years ago to use a smartphone and tablet. He hasn’t filed a paper form for motor tax or the likes in years now. Pays insurance and everything online.

He’d be more than capable to use an app for RVM or some sort of digital voucher wallet (which wouldn’t even need an app necessarily).

My phones digital wallet for example can store loyalty cards etc. like a dunnes club card say you could scan it into your phones wallet and just use that to load up the vouchers which you can then use from your phone.

Ezoul is 100% correct the ironing here is delicious. How many of the voucher papers are recycled do you reckon? If it’s anything like my local dunnes stores, they end up in the waste bin under the checkouts like the shop and save when they’ve been used.

A scheme like this which the sole purpose is to prevent environmental degradation by reducing the use of plastic and aluminium both in circulation and sent to landfill sort of becomes redundant when you start using scraps of paper to print vouchers.

One poster here even said they couldn’t get all their cans and bottles in fast enough to avoid multiple vouchers and ended up with 5-6 of varying amounts.

Put aside elderly people for a second what’s the excuse there? Why would you set the machines to print multiple 15-25c vouchers instead of just having the user press a “done” button and print one…

The whole scheme has been half thought out and an absolute joke since it launched. Once again we’ve failed to succeed with something that should be so simple.

God Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes that was me, and here's the post incase anyone's wondering https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121770253/#Comment_121770253

i been visiting numerous different locations RVM's since, and none of them have a "wait for me to finnish" feature. you are right.

But i have to say you're wrong about the whole purpose thing. the purpose of these machines are mainly the governments answer/response to being shown up and having the wind put up them by the EU, for mismanaging our recyclables and not actually recycling them despite collecting them from us for years and going around schools advertising encouraging kids to recycle. It was just quick easy money for them. Now ireland needs to produce numbers and results for recycle, thus this scheme was born. its basically to cover their backs.

if the scheme was genuinely about recycling, and not about "getting target numbers" then they would have accepted all cans and plastic bottles and the consumers would'nt have to be paying the deposit, the stores only or somewhere down the production line would. The scheme has been put into law and forced onto businuesses, out of a desperate attempt to get results.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its for simplicity, put in bottle, it spits out a receipt, I'd imagine an app will be available down the road.

Don't really see a problem with a paper receipt.

Add an app into it now and you'll have more problems.

I disagree, I think buy in is going to prove a problem with the current setup, especially for people who have embraced technology and don't actually physically go to supermarkets to shop, but will now have too, to collect their bits of paper.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The retailers wanted it that way, to drive footfall into their shops.

The interests \ convenience of the consumers came last in priorities.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You're joking, they don't even have a start / stop button? 🙄

Jesus wept, what clown designed this system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm pretty sure the one I used in Aldi at the weekend had a 'Finished' button or something along those lines? It waited for me to press it before it issued the voucher.

its okay if u dont wanna answer this, but what area/aldi was this at? i'm often depositing a high volume of cans each time and finding an rvm with a finnished button would be quite handy if its near dublin

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

I might be up that way this evening and will confirm then but I'm pretty sure it did.

That would be a great help, it's appreciated. Thanks <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If it has 'return me' on it the logo will be there. Coke cans pre scheme had recycle me on them. The box may have it but the cans will definitely have the logo above the barcode on the back of the can. Sprite or Fanta will have the return logo to the right of the barcode.

Post edited by Rigor Mortis on

with tesco bottle's in multipacks i've found the opposite, the outer bag/bog thingy has return logo on them but none of the bottles inside do. Instead they say "return me", but their barcode is valid when checking the website.

Cant speak for what Tesco bottles have, but i know the can and bottle design for many of the brands fairly well. Coke cans with 'return me' on them should definitely have the scheme logo on.

Are the newer can changed their looks as last week when buying Pepsi Max it was different with the new logo

I think Pepsi are in the middle of a rebrand anyway. Its possible though, given the really high cost of changing packaging design, that they waited to do the two things together.

If they all did that it would be easier to know but not cost effective.

Thats what im saying, you do the two things at once so it is more cost effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What about Pubs, that get in 100s of cans of red bull, will those cans have a return logo, be returnable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement