Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

My friend, mo chara, pal, comrade, buddy. Im not going against ye.

But if you are going to make a statement 8 times and then contradict yourself, dont be shocked if people mention it is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

THe free was totally irrelevant my friend, it was a quick put down in seconds and a toe jab to a player 5 yards away , no break in the play.

I mentioned it as I wanted to avoid some know all coming in and focussing on that rather than the big picture in that todays version of Gaelic football is not a good watch.

And I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Problems in football from a spectators point of view.

Boring...one team handpasses it around for 1+mins with nothing happening, then other team do the same.

Solutions....

Get rid of handpass, no forwards allowed in their own half. Enforce 4 step rule.

Radical **** man..

Oh and of course ...a definition (and implementation!) of a legal tackle..🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Solutions that involve opinions from the players. Don't try to make us do away with the handpass. Or even restrict it to three. You tried that before and we rejected it. Next radical idea please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Veerry devensive post dude...I gave my opinion from a former spectators view. I'm not trying anything.??

And this is why this will be my last post on an opinion forum on boards (I'll stick to the technical forums). You can't argue with stupid.

• Advertisement

Those are obvious suggestions, I would suggest.

Very far from radical, leaning much more on the common sense side of things I think.

Two major problems

The handpass

The ‘tackle’

There are Neanderthals out there who are afraid to admit that this is true.

Common sense will eventually over this kind of denial.

This is the Handpass rule:

9. HANDPASS: When in possession, the ball may be played away with: (i) a fist or (ii) an open hand - in which instance there shall be a definite underhand striking action. The striking hand shall not be in contact with the ball before delivering the strike. When both hands are involved, the ball may be struck off a holding hand by the other hand or released from the holding hand and struck with the other hand. When one hand is involved, the ball may be released from the holding hand and struck with the same hand. The releasing of the ball, when used, is considered an integral part of the fisted/open Handpass.

If you want to get that changed, the process is via your club all the way to Congress. If you are still harping on about making the players do fewer handpasses, forget it. That ship has sailed.

There are plenty of videos online these days with training drills for the handpass. There is more to that skill than meets the eye. This one is from 11 years ago, and very simplified, but there are more elaborate ones available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OED0bRXy4LE&t=24s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

A lot of the changes people want to make, they are thinking of it from an intercounty level. But they need to be changes that can be implemented at club levels, when there is just one official at a lot of games.

Refs cant count the steps players take, do you think they will be able to count the amount of hand passes? Will players? And keeping players inside their own half or the oppositions, refs dont have eyes in the back of their heads.

I have read back all the posts made here since the start of the year. One person made a suggestion, its was harpsman:

Personally I’d have a rule of keeping at least 4 players in each half and no hand passing between the 45s to bring back the kick pass

We have had posts from various others saying it needs to change, but I dont see much suggestion. Im not deflecting but I am also not seeing much in the way of suggestions that can be incorporated at every level of the game, not just intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

1+ minutes is generous, Roscommon held the ball for 6 minutes last year against Dublin.

• Advertisement

I’m afraid pg these people are just close minded Wont admit reality.

You will get some guff about the handpass and it’s rules but totally ignore the fact that it’s more like basketball than football.

As you pointed out a team held the ball for six minutes, and I’m sure the period I highlighted vs Tyrone was close to that.

Then you get people coming with rubbish and denying the game is on its last legs unless some sensible soul takes action.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I had a look there and my suspicion would be they would be more ‘hurling men’ and/or ‘catch and kick’ traditionalist’s. Because I have loads of Galway hurling mad relations who just don’t have any real patience for football.

They would begrudgingly turn up for a big football match, almost ready to moan before throw in about how ‘putrid’ football is. And get confused when Galway does well.

I know well the mentality my auld fella from Galway is fond of saying “can’t watch football after a hurling match”.

Yet at the same time he was booting every ball when Galway played Armagh in that big recent championship game. Same Galway v Kerry!

Now I am not saying that the game of football is perfect- the advanced mark drives me ape, for example.

But I think the game of football is nowhere near as bad as a lot make out. What I have noticed during the league is teams with variations or combinations of styles. Kicking, hand passing, or a running game.

The problem is not the football itself, but the rules have not caught up to it's evolution.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

One thing I have noticed is that referees give more frees against the player in possession these days. When they are being tackled by two or three of the opposition, and unable to even hand pass to a colleague, never mind try a kick pass. If they do not release the ball giving the opposition the chance to turnover possession, it is often a free against. My memory says that in the past the free would be more often given to the man in possession. Either way the referee gets blamed. This is where the mark is a useful addition to the game. It rewards good fielding from a kick pass, and stops the opposition crowding the player and forcing him to turnover possession.

Maybe my memory is faulty on this, and I don't think there are any stats or video footage which would prove or disprove it.

Well the rules need to catch up pretty sharpish otherwise the game will have a long goodbye

The first thing to do here and in fairness you have gone a bit of the the way is admit there is a problem with football.

The powers that be in the GAA firstly need to acknowledge the problem and then do something to fix it.

The game as played now is by and large a joke.

Hurling has issues too.

Why am I enjoying the league so much if it that poor? I mean last year the Dublin v Derry games were tight - div2.

This year so far div1 has been good.

I mean all the neutrals with an interest in football will be glued to Dublin v Kerry this weekend - shouting for the team they hate the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Decent provincial club finals, All Ireland series.

A fine Sigerson cup and a decent league so far.

Its incredible the lengths the detractors go to knock Football.

Yeah completely forgot about he Sigerson - good example, happened upon that on the telly was into the second half and I got drawn into it. Even though I had no allegiance to either team.

I always think that is great sign if you casually watching and get drawn into a game. If the game itself was in a really poor state it just would not happen.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Again you have people who can’t see reality trying to convince those that everything is ticketty boo,

King Canute is in the halfpenny places here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Empty vessels make the most noise, you have about 50 posts complaining, repeating the same point over and over but never offering anything constructive.

Its shite, we get it.

More elaborate video here of the handpass training drill.

Nov 18, 2021

In this Video form Steven Poacher's excellent Coaching Clinic in Newry on Saturday, October 23rd, 2021, Marty Clarke (one of the coaches on the day) runs an activity here where it's very much a case of what you see in the video so no great explanation needed. Three players go from one end and a fourth from out wide. The three who are beside each other exchange the ball with the stationery player and keep going and then exchange the ball with the second stationery player (who in this video is Marty himself)...the fourth player who has made a run out wide gets the pass from Marty and keeps going. The drill starts the opposite side in the exact same manner...this time Marty is the first pivot player etc. There is a nice progression then where the players have the option of if they want to use the two pivot players or if they just want to continue passing among themselves. This progression makes the exercise very match realistic as there is an element of decision making added.....now the players have two options when they get the ball and need to decide for themselves each time which is the best decision to make.

NOTE: Marty puts big emphasis here on timing the run...you'll notice at one stage that the wide runner has gone too wide and Marty has to tell him to slow down his run somewhat so that he not ahead of the oncoming pass!

• Advertisement

It seems to me you only want one answer, and when you do not receive it insinuate that people are blind and closed minded, if they don't think the game is "dead/gone". Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

The reality is football has evolved more in the last 20 years than it had in the previous 100 years, there is nuance in the game.

Yes some teams can over do the passing ( I would prefer a forward handpass rule) but most of the good teams vary their style or at the very least have perfected one style.

The reality is before football innovated most of it was headless chicken stuff even in the 90's. It basically was the fitess strongest team won.

You have to a remember that when Kevin Heffernan brought in the roving forward role in the 1950's he was classed as a cheat!

"Heffernan amongst them. In 1955 Heffernan began playing as a roving full forward for Dublin. By dropping deep, he found the space he needed to link up with teammates, gather possession and swerve past lumbering full backs. He ran amok against Paddy 'Hands' O'Brien of Meath, long considered the best full back in Ireland, in both the 1955 National Football League final and the 1955 Leinster football final."

---

That was the mentality innovation was frowned upon. some people wanted the status quo to stay the same. 15 on 15 and lamp it as far and as high as you can. Static positions.

Time moves on, people learn from what is around them and ask is there a better way that others have not thought of?

--

It is not lost on me that even in GAA analysis the graphic of a team is the "traditional" 1-15. When even decades ago there were teams with mobile forwards and some played with third midfielders etc.

These days we have sweeper keepers and even midfielders by trade playing in goal, I just think your mindset is of an era time has forgotten, when there were posts blocking views, people wore their sunday best at a match etc.

Well when you have people trying to tell you black is white, I have no option

You obviously get it, but there are folk out there who will defend rubbish.

I am pointing out the problems and unattractiveness of the way Gaelic football is currently played.

Up to the GAA and the so called ‘purists’ to sort out the mess.

Why do people keep going back to the fifties and referring to ‘lamping the ball’

big spiels about Hecko and roving full forwards.

FFS fix the hand passing, fix the tackle and you have a game!!!!

Thats why I have to keep repeating myself, I don’t need history lessons however well intended.

See now you are rattled, you are off yer game already. You had no proper response to my post.

Are you against innovation? So far all we have got from you is the game is gone/or the game is dead.

And repeated - "fix the hand passing" "fix the tackle" - but have given no solutions how.

There is also the fact that the league has been the best in the long time etc. And it is normally good in fairness.

But you somehow completely ignore that fact. Another poster mentioned exciting Sigerson and club games.

But according to you the game is "gone" or "dead"?

What exactly do you do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭johnnyk29

I would love if they trialed in the pre season and the league next year a no hand passing rule just to see how it would work, does anybody think this is a feasible idea?

There is already a sport close to that Aussie Rules (they mostly kick). I think it would be a similar sport to that.

The players wouldn't even agree to limit it to three handpasses. No chance that they would agree to no handpasses.

January 2019. The Gaelic Players’ Association (GPA) will present the findings of a survey they conducted into the current football rules experiment to the GAA’s top brass in the coming days. The GPA polled the opinion of players in every single county that played at least one pre-season competition under the new rules, in other words every county bar Kerry, New York, London and Kilkenny. Managers were also surveyed with 25 of a possible 30 responding.

The results are unsurprising, in that players and managers were overwhelmingly against the rule that limits the number of consecutive hand-passes to three before boot must be put to ball.

How long did the counting handpasses experiment last? Couple of months or was it even less?

The players went mad, and the refs had an impossible job that is all I remember.

He hehe heh. Don’t be delusional my friend… rattled!! Far from rattled

Im with the same game I started with, my friend, and it won’t change

Overuse of the handpass, will eventually kill the game as a spectator attraction.

Eventually they will be forced to act.

• Advertisement

Why is it urgent to act if the games are still good? Again, the league has been good overall. I have been at two football intercounty matches. I did not see anything that needed to be acted 'fast' on except that advanced mark. I have also seen plenty of matches on telly most of them were enjoyable, competitive games. Teams well met etc.

If the league was awful etc then your point might have some validity. Your the game is "dead" or the game is "gone" premise seems to miles off IMO.

But I have seen all sorts - teams running with the ball, handpassing, kicking etc. Even kamikaze keepers.

Advertisement