Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

The mind boggles at your 'reasoning'.

Let's look at the incident without naming the teams, maybe that will help.

Team A win a can't-miss free with time up. The free will be allowed to be taken and the game will finish. The scores are level. A player from the team about to lose the game goes down on his knees into the grounded player, hoping some idiot from the team about to win will decide that winning doesn't matter and completely over-react and hopefully the free will be changed to a hop-ball. And that's exactly what happened. It worked because a player from the team about to win a crucial game didn't have the discipline required, just like Donal Vaughan.

How anybody can defend Harney's actions that day is beyond words. I have yet to hear ANY Roscommon fan other than you defend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Neutral view point I'm giving and as I said already I recalled that incident as it was pure gamesmanship. It was well discussed at the time such as this link. Short clip and don't let it boggle your mind.

As for comparing it with the Vaughan incident that was a high/striking action than a push and what he did arguably cost Mayo All Ireland title while Roscommon had what 4 league games to play after that dropped point against Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Donie Vaughan is still in hiding somewhere in Mayo. It was a rush of blood that he will always regret.

Ultan Harney had a similar rush of blood. Lesser consequences maybe. But hard to fathom what goes through players minds when they do these things. I'm not condoning players dropping like a sack of spuds at small amounts of contact. But they should not be given that opportunity to do so in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

Haven't we been 6-8 starters short; C Murtagh, enda Smith (suspended for Tyrone), Donie (suspended for Dublin), N Daly, 4 Brigids players not available for prep and Tyrone. Then the two players from last year gone travelling (McKeon and can't recall other off top of head.)

Speed and application is directly related to player quality IMHO. Not sure is it justified to debate our organisation - I couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

We can't count Ciaran, hasn't he opted out for the year, and while I haven't heard it confirmed there was a lot of talk of Eddie stepping away too, at least in the short term.

Who from Bridget's is proven that's to come in? Ben?

You keep going on about Morgan. I'm talking about Ultan Harney!

His stupid, ill-disciplined reaction to gamesmanship cost Roscommon a win. One more point would have prevented relegation.

You appear to be saying he was right. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Final post on this topic as others reading this thread must be bored with us going on about something that happened five years ago.

My point was recalling the incident and the role Morgan played in it. And I have seen similar incidents since in other matches that stronger refs didn't over turn a free for a push and dive.

• Advertisement

I think he was right.

Secondly it wasn't gamesmanship it was thuggery to drop two knees down on any player on the ground.

Time for you to get over it now how long ago is it. Anyone who played the game with any balls and bottle would defend a teammate getting knees to the head. The referee for not moving ball forward and sending Morgan off, and Morgan hold most blame. Weak pathetic refereeing.

Post edited by White lighting on

Yet again your refusal to answer my question speaks volumes.

I agree with you on two things: 1. It was thuggery. 2. The ref should have sent Morgan off.

I disagree on two other things: 1. It wasn't knees to the head, it was to his body. 2. Harney was WRONG!

It simply doesn't matter how annoyed he or anyone else was. This type of diving has been going on for years. Frankie Dolan did it in the 2001 Connacht final and got an innocent Mayo player sent off. So anybody playing HAS to know that any type of push/dunt/aggressive action will often get an over-reaction/dive from the opposition and players get sent off for it again and again. Trying to justify it shows you know nothing about winning. And at the end of the day that's why teams play - to WIN!

Only losers think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not all referees are fooled with diving so that effort at trying to win isn't always successful.

I have won titles in Soccer and Gaelic there is not much i have played that i have not won, Be it Schools, local Soccer, Community Games and Gaa Club. So what are you on about... I would bet my life i have won more than you What do you know about winning? How many county medals have you.😂

Post edited by White lighting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement

County medals?

For the record, even though it's a moot point because neither of us can prove it on an anonymous discussion board, besides county and provincial medals in four different sports, I have won All-Ireland medals in two sports. I also have coached numerous All-Ireland champions in those two same sports. I no longer coach one of those due to time committments. I've been coaching non-stop since c. 1995.

However, one thing that's beyond dispute is that winners are very rare and the reason is not talent or ability or facilities - it's what goes on between the ears.

Winners think differently. All their decision-making is based on wanting to win and actually winning. The desire to win overcomes nerves, pressure, crowds, bad refereeing, intimidation, etc. etc. etc.

Ultan Harney's decision to get involved in that incident cost Roscommon a win and ended up getting them relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Massive win today. Enda Smith was outstanding today.

Improved performance, even allowing for how poor Monaghan were on the day.

We should have pushed on more in the last quarter though. A huge chance to pad our score difference, which might come into it before the league is out, it could be us or Galway yet, and decided on score difference, and if it is we will regret not being more ruthless today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭MfMan

Where's Ben O'Carroll?

Injured.

Missed the Sigerson final and the last two league games also.

Jesus, that was absolutely pathetic!

And I wouldn't mind but Mayo were there for the taking.

Agree with that. Decent 1st half after a bad start. The 2nd half was a shambles. I think that is us relegated. Can't see us getting anything in our last 2 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Can't help but feel despondent after that defeat. So many issues all over the field. So passive and one paced, no coherent attacking plan- a lot of our first half scores were off the cuff moments of individual magic, no defensive plan bar flood players back to inside the 45 and then we are too stand offish. Very leggy and lethargic throughout, like how many times did McLaughlin just burn past our lads.

And what summed the night up for me was that back heel attempt when under no immediate pressure to cleanly pick the ball up.

Tyrone Dublin Mayo defeats all followed the same pattern of huge second half collapses. This is one hell of a long game management are playing if it is that.

Tyrone was most concerning out of those. Tyrone are the weakest of those three by a good bit. Mayo targeted this game and I don't think we did. We probably targetted Monaghan and we're training hard last week. Mayo trained hard ahead of Tyrone game. Ultimately we've no extra gear at all to deal with division 1 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That Enda Smith sending off against Cork is looking more costly than first expected. He was suspended for the Tyrone game and had he played Roscommon could be on 5 points now and Tyrone 2.

Is Adam McDermott injured does anyone know?

Can't lay blame on one thing. That was a moment of madness and we knew about it for 8 months that he wasn't eligible.

Multiple factors contributed to the loss in Tyrone. The Brigid's players were eligible to play but we rested them... Are you going there next?

Regardless of who is and isn't available, the squad is clearly not operating at the same level as this time last year. Less pace, more passive, seem less organized without the ball.... Clearly not firing and a lot of work to do before the championship.

• Advertisement

Enda Smith alone would have made a big difference in that game, he's the main creative influence in the team and Brigids getting to the All Ireland wasn't helpful for Roscommon in the early rounds of the league either.

Holding back for the championship this year or the case of losing good coaches in Mark McHugh,Gerry McGowan is showing this year?

I fear it's the latter.......don't buy into a lot of the crap about holding back, shadow boxing and cutehoorism that's spun during the leagues. It's not just a matter of turning on the tap at the end of the league and being happy to drop into Division 2 with perhaps one win out of the 8 league games. It doesn't really happen like that.

I'd agree form doesn't turn on like a tap but in theory Roscommon should improve once those out injured or just back from injury (O'Carroll,Harney,R Daly etc) get up to speed which probably won't be the case until the championship time.

I hope your right, however.....

The form and pace were playing at is so far off of where the top teams are. I mean, they aren't going to stand still and wait for us to catch up, they are going to improve too. How many of that starting 15 for Mayo on Saturday will start an AI quarter final? Or the Galway team we played? The likes of a fit Ben, Harney, Heneghan, Ronan and Niall to name a few will potentially improve things but we've lost ground and are coming from a lower base/further behind than we were at the latter stages of the league last year. With the new compacted season calander do we have the blocks to work on and catch up with the work the others do? I hope your optism is not misplaced.

Short answer is not many as we're not good enough to get to an all Ireland quarter final. It would take a seriously kind draw.

Mayo team from Saturday night I would say up to 12 could start in AI Quarter final they have D O'Connor,O'Brien and Durcan to return. Galway have McDaid,Comer,Walsh,Silke to come back into their side whenever they return from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Reaching Ireland Quarter final should be achievable for any team playing in Division one . Not maxed out by June will likely be key for Roscommon as the last two years ended up losing to teams (Clare,Cork) they would likely have beaten if their earlier season form was carried into those games.

I see our game v Kerry on Sunday is live on Tg4. Can't see us winning or drawing this game.

• Advertisement

Looks like a competition to see how many halfbacks we can fit into the same team :)

Has Doyle dropped out of the panel altogether?

I thought Doyle has been injured. I could be wrong on that though.

After the Mayo debacle I said I wasn't going to go today as a form of protest... but of course I ended up going. I wish I didn't change my mind.

The first half was simply a contiuation of the last day. Complete lack of urgency, no pace, careless in possession and absolutely no penetration.

At least in the second half they finally showed a bit of bite and urgency. Not that it made a whole lot of difference, as even when Roscommon got back to 3 points on more than one occasion, you just never felt that Kerry were not going to win.

Following on from a few posts I made recently, I have to be fair and say that Ultan Harney was very impressive when he came on. He brought much-needed strength and aggression around the middle and his ability to run directly at the opposition while not losing possession is a very important to Roscommon.

From a league point of view, here's hoping Derry put out a second-string side with one eye on the League final. It's clutching at straws, but you never know.

However, from a bigger picture, I'm worried. I can't understand how a side can deteriorate so much in a year and why so many quality players and two coaches walked away after a year that showed so much promise.

"The first half was simply a contiuation of the last day. Complete lack of urgency, no pace, careless in possession and absolutely no penetration.'

This has been the entire league campaign in a nutshell. Passive defence and jogging into contact with the ball in attack. So easy to play against, and hugely behind where we were in 23. The signs have been there since day 1, but many have chosen not to see it. The whole set up has fallen back (looking from the outside in obviously).

It's not gonna be easy to turn this around.

Good post. I'm finding it hard to be optimistic for us going forward into the championship. Does anyone know why McGovern and McHugh left the setup? Burke seems to be happy enough anyway from his interview after the game on the Sunday game last night.

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask does anyone know what are u20 team is like this year? Any potential? I see we are playing Mayo on Wednesday in the Hyde in the Connacht championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Mayo fan here so can't give much insight on the recent developments of your lads, but when the two sides met at minor in '21 ye gave us a right good hiding, 4-13 to 2-12 and the scoreline flattered us. Ye won pulling up.

No question they'll be in with a shout on Wednesday if they've kept half the group together & got some reasonable progression. We got blown away by the strength and physicality at midfield that day and even bringing in some very talented young lads from our '22 minor final side (wouldn't be surprised if we've a couple of u18s involved this year too along with a backbone of mostly u19s) that's an area we'll still be focusing on/worrying about come Wednesday (I'd know a lot of the lads involved to watch from club/previous underage and couldn't even begin to guess who from about 8 of them might be in the middle come throw-in).

Should be a cracking competition with the move to round-robin this year. All of Roscommon, Mayo, Galway and reigning champions Sligo (still not entirely sure how they beat Galway last year) will be fancying their chances I'd imagine.

At last they decided to the round robin last year. More games can only improve the players. I know last year our Minor team started poorly but improved with each game. Any standout players for Mayo at u20 this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

A few solid runners (back and front) and some of the more exciting underage scorers we've seen in recent memory on our side so if they can live with that potential higher physicality (from you, Galway and Sligo) we'd be hoping to do well.

Niall Hurley alone can be worth the entrance fee if he catches form. I'd have fancied him making a fairly big impact for us at senior this year but guessing the S&C isn't quite there yet (tricky player, young O'Carroll-esque, so would probably take an awful lot of punishment when he gets thrown in there). Dara Hurley, Diarmuid Duffy, Darragh Reilly, Ronan Clarke, James Mahedy, Paul Gilmore, Sean Morahan, Conal Dawson, John MacMonagle and Tom O'Flaherty (along with Rio Mortimer, Yousif Coghill, Darragh Beirne and Tom Lydon just u18s) all lads I'd be hoping to push on in coming years and have senior potential from this lot.

Diarmuid Duffy started a league game for us at senior and played +90 minutes this year before dropping back to 20s a couple of weeks ago & Darragh Reilly played a challenge game for us early in the year (vs club all stars) making a nice late cameo. Tom, Sean & Conal would have been around the extended panel the last year or two and involved in the odd friendly/challenge game.

Darragh a relatively new name for us even here in Mayo as most of his recent years has been spent playing underage soccer for Ireland. Would have spent a lot of time from u15 to u17 with a well known Evan Ferguson (played left back on those teams iirc). Shows as a creative and decent scoring wing forward for his club so interesting to see how the new management team (a few well known names involved there) end up using him.

Notable only 4 of those mentioned (Tom, Conal, Sean and Darragh) in their final year of 20s, going to be a fairly young squad for us I'd guess.

Neither side has released the panels yet this year (Sligo the only Connacht side I've seen putting them out yet) when they normally come out ~week before the first game so still plenty of question marks bouncing around on both camps I'd imagine.

5.30on a Wednesday evening if fuckin nonsensical fixing of a game. Easy known gaa administration is dominated by the likes of school teachers and bankers that can finish work at 3pm if they are working at all these weeks. Making little of the competition and making little of family and spectators who might want to go to the games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement