Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was down there Monday when the Gardai were enforcing it, spoke to them and said the only rule/law being broken is crossing the white line in the middle of the road, so they stopped people turning into Westwood traelling outbound, and people exiting Westwood and turning right. No issue stopping in a bus lane to turn into WW.

I think it would resolve the issue a ittle, as people coming from Clontarf area would be more likely to use the overflow carpark, so should relieve strain on the main. Also, people coming from Marino direction wouldn't stop traffic turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

That is not a good road to build a fire station on, AB road is very busy, at least on North Strand they have a Bus Lane on either side of the road to allow fire trucks to get past traffic. There's nothing like that on AB Road (Unless they're building bus lanes)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

It would be great if they could work with Irish Rail to use the access road along the rail line to create a one way flow through the main car park.

It would also encourage people to use the overflow, as that access road is 50m closer to the overflow entrance. If you see cars queuing up ahead you're likely to just use the overflow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a fair height distance between the two, the IR access road is a ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The Westwood problem is down to bad driving and lack of enforcement, pure and simple. People calling for more car parks are forgetting that the whole city is a car park. It’s just a question of entitlement- people feeling they have a right to park within 30m of the door and to hell with parking on footpaths and bus lanes and cycle lanes while waiting. I ran past there at 8:30 tonight and it was worse than ever - actually had to squeeze between two cars and one driver gave me the finger when I told him he is parked on a footpath (it’s not a driveway). There’s a similar problem down at the astroturf pitches entrance, but at least that doesn’t manifest all day, like the gym. Park the f*ck somewhere else, gym people!

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I passed at 3pm, and there was already cars blocking the path and cycle lane, as wells as six more on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Dublin should be a parking wardens paradise and it would be extra money for the council if they ticketed all the illegal parking.

Why doesnt it happen?

Who knows? Parking wardens and cameras. Easy solutions to get motorists be behave better.

There's a parking enforcement officer in Toronto that I follow on twitter. She works on a bike, and gets so much done. Even when they try and speed away before the ticket goes on the windshield, it gets sent by post. We need something like that here.

It seems that a lot of laws just aren't taken seriously in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. It does feel like laws are optional in Ireland.

Not just traffic laws either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They should simply remove that car park, save for a few accessible spaces to the left.

Then make a cool outdoor area for some training, even have seats and make it a pleasant area beside the park. That car park is doing nothing but cause hassle.

ps nearly got mowed over by a cyclist (I was walking) coming outbound while I was walking in towards town after Westwood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I also flow her and I moved to Toronto about 6 months ago. I've seen her colleagues but not her. One of these days I'll see her 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While I don't think it is a waste of resources, the issue I'd have is that we all know that the Gardai will only be around for a few days. Then they will disappear and people will go back to doing it again.

The exact same happened on Griffith Avenue, DCC parking enforcement were around for two weeks or so and people behaved and I haven't seen the parking enforcement in months now and of course some people are back to parking in the cycle lane!

Unfortunately I do think we need to build infrastructure so that it physically can't be abused (e.g. waste high solid dividers protecting cycle lane, etc). Perhaps automated cameras issuing fines too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunately I do think we need to build infrastructure so that it physically can't be abused (e.g. waste high solid dividers protecting cycle lane, etc). Perhaps automated cameras issuing fines too.

The bus lane also needs protecting - however, like the Santry N1 junction with Collins Ave, it needs garda enforcement or drivers will just use it without fear

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very true and not just here, but across the entire bus network. Probably best done with automated cameras at bus gates and also cameras on the buses themselves automatically issuing fines to cars in the bus lanes.

My recent observations on the 24/7 bus lanes along Drumcondra road is that compliance is way up. If all bus lanes in the city were made 24/7, then drivers would have no excuse to justify to themselves. The vast majority of people want to respect the rules, but when there is ambiguity on the rules (only some lanes are 24/7), people abuse that ambiguity.

Fully segregated lanes would be great, but for much of the city it's not possible given the level of driveways etc. Also, I'm not sure how well automatic cameras would work in practice given the shear level of driveways and side roads, plus at junctions you need to move into a bus lane to turn left etc.?

Marked areas for turning lanes. If you are outside of the marked area, but in the bus lane, you get a ticket. Cars entering/exiting driveways wouldn't get a ticket as they would be 90 degrees to the lane and not actually in it and the camera couldn't catch the license plate anyway.

Of course you'd have a process for people to challenge the fines and the camera footage could be reviewed.

Of course you could also have static cameras at obvious pinch points, also cameras integrated with traffic lights, both to enforce bus lanes and red light jumping.

I think static cameras at pinch points is good and definitely for cars who use a bus lane to go straight through a junction.

But any aggressive level of cameras is unrealistic. For example, it's unreasonable to expect someone to stay in a traffic jam for 5 minutes when their driveway or minor side road is only 50 metres up ahead. If they wait in the general traffic lane until right outside their driveway/side road, they will hold up all the traffic while they wait for buses, cyclists and pedestrians to clear out of the way.

It's safer for them to use the bus lane for a short space rather than crossing a bus lane, cycle lane and pedestrian path in one move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree. “My house is only 50 m up ahead” becomes:

”I’m turning left just up ahead” (indicator on for the next 3 junctions),

”I’m pulling in to park just up ahead” (blocks the lane waiting for parking to appear/letting passenger out to the shops ‘just for 2 minutes’)

”I’m just going around the car ahead that’s turning right” (mounts the footpath to get past said car).

We need a law that is enforced. Private traffic should not be in a bus lane. And if general traffic is so heavy that drivers feel they need to be in a bus lane to skip queues of traffic, then they’re not going to hold up that traffic for very long, relatively speaking, by turning into their driveways (while looking carefully for cyclists, pedestrians, etc.) They could also consider getting the bus instead of driving, in order to avoid the queue of traffic.

My only point here is that over aggressive use of camera enforcement for bus lanes is unworkable when there are driveways and side roads every 20 metres.

At junctions, yes. Bus gates, definitely. Other than that, it's not workable and unnecessary. It's not safe to cross multiple lanes in one movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Look into my eyes………

Outside the bike shop at Marino Mart. It moves with you……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

With on-bus cameras, I don't think people pulling into driveways would be an issue. A fine would be issued but the driver could challenge it, the footage reviewed and if it shows that they did turn into a driveway a short distance ahead, the fine cancelled. Those abusing it would not be seen turning on camera and their fine would stand. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Post edited by Pete_Cavan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest it’s probably been done somewhere else, successfully, for years?

If we could even roll these out it would be a massive improvement, I’ll give you that.

Sorry I know we’re gone off topic now. Last I’ll say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they're using a different entrance this weekend, interesting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's the bus only road from Clontarf station onto the Alfie Byrne road.

Great to hear they are having a meeting about it being difficult short term, for members to black the cycle lane and footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Didn’t interview one person who used PT. 🙄

Road tax, Joe.

No suggestion at all in that blog post or related ones that members might consider parking elsewhere or using alternative means. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Westwood joining fee is €500 and €90 a month after that. If I was paying that kind of money I'd be wanting a car park right outside.

It's not a driving problem, it's a Westwood problem. They're charging top dollar for a service that they cannot provide.

They need to provide more parking or reduce they're head count or move the club somewhere else.

Also I left town using the Car on Saturday via North Strand Rd. The plan was to only temporarily stop cars in bound right? doesn't look like there is room for 2 car lanes and 2 bus lanes on large sections of the road. I think it'll be 3 lanes max. I could be wrong now, but it doesn't seem possible to me. (and I drive a small car)

Advertisement