Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

I've never once complained to her about her communication style. Quite the opposite actually. I've told her that I understand shes busy and I've tried to remove the pressure from the situation, and support her. I've tried to make things as easy breezy as humanly possible even to the detriment of my own needs.

There's the problem right there. See what happens when you don't communicate your needs or expectations? See what happens when you allow someone to treat you a certain way? Why would you do that, in your own words, to the detriment of your needs? By not tackling this with her, YOU are giving her permission to treat you like this. YOU are telling her, by your inaction, that not communicating for days at a time is fine, because for reasons I can only guess at, you are avoiding this conversation with her.

I just find it hard to believe that she doesn't know that this behaviour isn't right.

On the contrary, you are telling her that this behaviour is perfectly fine by you. We communicate with more than words, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Because there were enough people telling me I was overreacting about the previous communication issues that I thought, in combination with things she said at the weekend, that it would be fine. I gave the benefit of the doubt over the situation and didn't want to be introducing requirements or obligations at such an early stage.

I guess I thought that surely she wouldn't go radio silent on one of the days she had actually suggested seeing me on and not letting me know what was what. I guess I mistakenly thought that fell into a whole new, previously unentered category of pisstaking and wasn't something that I would have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

That’s what it boils down to yes. And the odd cancellation. There was a a good excuse, but I’m questioning that at this point. Something is due to happen this weekend that made me think all was okay, but if that doesn’t happen it’s over.

• Advertisement

To be fair this is a VERY early doors dating situation. I agree your advice holds when in a relationship- but when you are trying to get to know somebody and be open, you try and not shut things down at every little thing because you don’t want to be over the top. However we learn from things a few weeks in if behaviour is repeated or intensifies. The first few weeks are feeling things out.

"People" don't have to live your life - YOU have to live your life. So you need to make sure, as much as possible, that it's a life you're happy with, and that leaves you fulfilled (or at least is headed in that direction) rather than in circumstances you're clearly displeased with, but apparently feel reluctant to deal with head on.

She may well have e.g. Friday evening in mind to meet you, and may think it's fine to let you know this tomorrow or Friday morning. That's not ok with you, but you have not communicated that to her. The solution, to me, appears blindingly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I think you need to say it to her. Tell her you need better communication. How she responds to it will tell you everything. I dated someone like that many moons ago and his reaction to me bringing it up was that I was making a big deal out of nothing etc. - if she does that then get out of it now. But it she listens and meets you halfway, it's worth having the chat.

I've had a scamper back through the thread; this seems to be going on for about a month or so, and Bobby's needs clearly aren't being met. He doesn't have to go full Tommy from Goodfellas or get her to sign a contract to phone him every day, but it should surely be possible to communicate or demonstrate that (slightly) more frequent contact would be nice.

Re getting to know someone, and being open etc, Bobby ISN'T being open, because he's not being transparent about something that's bothering him, and that he doesn't appear to be prepared to put up with in the medium, never mind long, term. If you're not going to be yourself (or say "this isn't for me", and explain why), well, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I think this about sums up the crux of the problem. Bite the bullet that you dodged on Sunday. The conversation you had, while it may have answered some of your questions, didn’t give you the chance to express how you felt I’m sensing.

And you should have just gone to footy if nothing was planned with her. A bird in the hand and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m not married.

I did go to the football 🙂 My annoyance was that I didn't want to commit to them until I felt safe in the fact that nothing was happening, so I basically kept them waiting from 11 when they asked me until 4 when I just decided to commit. Her disregard for getting back to me led to me being unsure of my plans for the majority of yesterday, with a knock on effect to 9 other people.

My next move will depend on her response (which I still haven't gotten). There's no universe where I don't address me not being ok with this anyway.

I feel like once you're making demands after 5 dates then it's pretty much doomed anyway.

In terms of the work excuse - I’ve had busy periods where I work in the evening but if I’m really interested in somebody I’ve popped out to meet them and then logged back on when I got home and worked until 1 or 2am, or started early in the morning.

Now of things are so hectic that she can’t make any time at all over one week - then you’d need to see is it always that way, if she doesn’t have time for a relationship or want to prioritise one then there’s no point.

Ah sorry misunderstood your post about the footy part.

I learned my lesson the hard way and now when I get the offer of doing something I always go with the definite option rather than the maybe option. Snooze you lose!

You're not making demands. Well I hope you're not anyway. You're expressing your preferences and then allowing her to respond to that information. You're not going to come out of this getting exactly what you want. If you're lucky you might get a compromise. There's no right or wrong. Just two differing opinions.

I know she works a demanding job, and I know she has deadlines this week, and I know that there have been some big changes there recently that have stressed her out. I know she's probably stressed out with trying to get everything sorted before she goes away.

I've seen a similar communication style with others that are more integrated in her life and I've seen her lack of phone use up close.

It's just this specific scenario - when she was the one that brought up wanting to see me before she goes. Yes I did say I'd be flexible and work around her, but that wasn't an invitation to leave me hanging.

Acceptable = "Sorry I'm just really busy, can I get back to you on the plan for this week?"/"I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this week after all but we'll make a plan for when I get back"/"I'm hoping Friday but I'll get back to you on that if that's ok, just really busy with the deadlines".

Not Acceptable = Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Goodigal

Yes, but there's always 30 seconds to reply to a text and say there's no chance you can make Wed or Thursday. No excuse not to. Bad form really.

I totally agree. I think some people are a bit selfish, or it’s their way of keeping people a bit at arms length…though there are better ways of doing that! I wouldn’t dream of making plans and just not engaging then. And I have a demanding job as do many people I know who don’t act like that.

Sometimes it's not about having the time, but having the headspace. I'm recognising some of my own traits in her behaviour, especially when it comes to work, could be why I feel the need to play devils advocate a little. Phone going all day, answering emails, sorting problems, spinning plates. Get home and stare at the wall for an hour to decompress, then hit the pit. You're in survival mode. Looking after your own needs first. It can be hard to think about someone else's needs... ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT PERSONS NEEDS ARE !!!!

• Advertisement

She spoke about something quite similar to what you've mentioned there.

Which is why I was satisfied with the situation previously.

But there's limits to that.

It's not a need to want a response when it's regarding plans, and even moreso when you let one of the mooted days pass without communication at all. Even moreso when you were the one that originally suggested the possible plans. I feel that's just common decency. If that's a need that needs to be specified to somebody then the whole thing is just fcuked.

Thats it. It’s totally fair people can’t be replying while working and can be all consumed but you make an effort to send a quick text before sleep if you’ve made loose plans to acknowledge hey sorry I haven’t gotten back to you it’s been hectic and look I’m not really sure if I’ll have time to meet, bear with me. Or something like that. Radio silence when there has been talk of plans is just inconsiderate. Or at least incompatible to how you would behave, and most people generally.

Allegedly 😁if it is then I’m giving it more time, if it’s not, I’m likely out - I will explain to him obviously but I need actions to match words.

Yeah at this point if she messaged later and said 'I'm free tomorrow night', I'm not sure if I'd even go.

I don't know should I bring up my dissatisfaction with the situation after she messages or just go along and do it in person. My instinct is to just say it after she messages and see how she reacts.

Unless she's just totally ghosted, which the longer this goes on the more I consider that a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Things are already sour, she's just unaware of it.

Well I don’t agree with that, like after a few dates if there are things you’re uncertain of you can’t just keep quiet and do a sudden dump two months down the line. Sometimes things can go either way in terms of how something that you might see as a ‘beige flag’ will pan out.

• Advertisement

I’d be the same as you and do it via message. However - given her lack of general - or at least unpredictable - responsiveness, you might be left hanging.

If you do it in person though you might just enjoy the date and not say anything then back to square one.

Advertisement