Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode on new Vodafone Gigabit modem (SIRO)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So, I've just got fibre with Vodafone upgraded from DSL. I have the TV service but hasn't worked since the change to the gigabox. Have been informed it will begin working shortly.

Anyway. I have also a Ubi router that generally runs the majority of the network connected to the gigabox. I know I can take the gigabox out of the equation and go direct ubiquiti to the ont. However from what I am aware the vodafone TV box needs to be connected to the vodafone gigabox.

Is there anyway that I can connect Vodafone TV box to the ubiquiti and ditch the gigabox completely?

How are VF baking in the TV service to their own router I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Just to confirm here for anyone thinking of a similar setup, I got this working with TP-Link Omada devices.

Router: ER7206 v1.0 + Omada Hardware Controller OC200 v2.0

Switch: TL-SG1008P v6.0

AP 1: EAP670 v1.2

Completely ditched Vodafone Gigabox, no bridge mode or DMZ, which I was worried about if it would work properly since it's my first time setting up such a network. Logged in using "<SN>@vfieftth.ie" and password "broadband" (it seems that "<SN>@vodafone.ie" also works fine), just had to choose PPPoE and VLAN ID 10 (tagged/trunk) during WAN setup. I find VLAN a bit confusing as most stuff online refers to using VLAN to create subnetworks in your network (virtual lans), which makes sense. I still don't understand it fully, but it seems that it's slightly different and can also be used in WAN.

Anyway, it's working for now, tomorrow I'll be setting up outdoor APs and a Synology NAS. For now getting WiFi speeds ~800 down ~110 up on my iPhone from the beasty EAP670, laptops are somewhat slower.

I'm not using a landline, from what I've read it won't work if you get rid of Vodafone Gigabox, but that doesn't bother me. I've read in some threads it's still possible to set it up via third party providers, separately to your broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

No, I'm not. Only broadband from Vodafone, so I luckily didn't have to worry about any of that.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, I am sure it's just some port forwarding or custom rules they have setup on the router to allow the STB to work I just cannot see them to replicate them on the router I have myself. Ah well, will just have to continue using both devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

Hey all,

This post seems to be all about Vodafone fibre via SIRO. Does it work for Virgin Media also? Have a SIRO box on the wall. If so what are the Virgin Media credentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

VM is not Siro

Oh okay. Really? They installed this on the wall and it's connected through it: https://imgur.com/TgZjxep

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

huh, this must be new, I thought they only offered broadband via their own cables

I stand corrected

Test this and it does work! vLAN 10 and DHCP on the WAN port port and you can fire ahead! Deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DaveDoesStuff

Sorry for the necro, literally registered to ask you this:

Any chance you could elaborate on your settings? Did you just leave the wan port on DHCP with no PPPoE settings or?

I got VF Siro and don't want to use the gigabox, struggling to get it working on PPPoE via pfSense. Even after confirming the credentials with VF support :'(

Never mind, got it sorted! :D

Post edited by DaveDoesStuff on

Advertisement