Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Plenty of closeup shots alright so I’d expect the internet will be flooded with them later. It looks to me like Aston have the same super slim overbite as Red Bull but no vertical inlet I think. Nope - Aston have an underbite like last year's RB just slimmer.

The bright green of that Sauber is not pretty at all and Will Buxton as annoying as ever. 😁

Interesting little aero rakes on the engine cover of the Ferrari.

Alonso 2 seconds clear at the top on mediums, which means absolutely nothing at this stage.

Post edited by Andrew76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sauber and Merc liveries are awful

I don’t mind the Merc too much but yeah Sauber is awful and so is Alpine with all that carbon fiber on show.

The Red Bull looks a bit of a handful on those hard tyres. Wonder how much fuel it has on board too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This is your boss. If you don't have that report on my desk first thing on Friday morning, you're out the door Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Too bad they have sidepods. I know they won't but I hope they mess it up so we get a competitive season for wins.

• Advertisement

Only 9 laps in 1.5 hours for McLaren compared to early 20s for others.

First lap on the mediums and Max goes top. Get in. Yep meaningless but still. 😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I think it was The Race that speculated that their sidepods could reduce in size when they go to tracks that don't require as much cooling.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Anthony Davidson on Max leading the timesheets - "it's like a dog marking a lampost". 😁

Anyway, morning session is over. Times of course don't mean much and only 10 of them since there's only 10 cars allowed on track. I haven't seen the number of laps for each but Alonso had the most (or close to) and George the least. Good reliability from all teams with only Albon's Williams stopping on track, no red flags though.

Apart from Max and George, all other drivers will be replaced for the afternoon session that starts at 12pm our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Max over 1.1 seconds clear of the rest and 100+ laps on the board.

Legitimately, the Red Bull looks so compliant straight away. Ferrari look ok and McLaren look pretty decent, Mercedes were bouncing still!

AM were harder to judge and Alonso did his stint when the track was at its slowest.

• Advertisement

Cars looks crap on the eye

Alpine and MERC are awful

McLaren and Sauber I'm mixed about

Ferrari and VCARB the best one mainly because they used more then 4 square inches of paint.

Haas, Red Bull, Williams and Aston are just dull

I think there is a Ted's Notebook on this evening at 8pm maybe? should be on YT soon after I guess. Here are the stats from today, C3 is the medium tyre (C1 = hard, C4 = soft, no idea where C2 is :D).

What was impressive about Max's times were that he set them pretty much on his first laps with the tyre - I think they said he went 1.5s faster than his testing time from last year, something like that - GP had a big smile on his face anyway. Will be interesting to see if Sergio finds the car as easy to drive - himself and Lewis are on track all day tomorrow.

It seems the Sky pundits have decided to call the Red Bull sister team RB - which is going to get confusing.

Couldn’t be bothered how they look. More disheartened by the early indications of possibly another Max cakewalk. Early days, but still.

RB is such a strange choice given how Red Bull as a company have been on point when it comes to marketing for 20+ years.

Interesting how Kick/Stake are being referred to as Sauber by multiple sources.

Toto calling for transparency into the Horner investigation.

Yeah but half the time today I couldn't tell which car it was between about 5 teams

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I know you shouldn't read too much into lap times in testing, but...

Haas doing Haas things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This Horner thing is ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Gary Anderson saying its early days but it could be a long season if you are not a Red Bull fan from his testing analysis today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭weisses

Only thing Toto is good at these days is **** stirring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's why it's in red bull's interest to get their investigation finished ASAP. If he did nothing wrong, then they can stand over their investigation and move on. If he did something wrong, then he'll get the heave ho, it'll be awkward for a bit but they'll probably win the world championship anyway, so they'll live...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Surely the powers that be at RedBull know by now if he did something wrong or not. To have him at testing and sack him a week later just before the season opener would be pretty amateur from RB. I'm not sure I believe that its anything overly serious but obviously we'll just have to wait and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

The longer the investigation goes on the more I feel Horner is toast. How long is he with RB 20 years? Smells like they're taking time getting their ducks in a row. The rumoured behind the scenes settlement offer is significant. More than you'd expect to be turned down unless the employee in question has some serious evidence.

Toto talking about role models all of a sudden. Hes a bit of a gimp with nothing to say except have a go at Horner from the ditches even before this scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Interesting from the memes on Tiktok that both Horner and Newry were not wearing the team kit today! Maybe Horner is done, and maybe Adrian Newry just doesn't have to wear it!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Horner or Newey never wore team kit at testing it had no significance. Tik tokers trying to earn a few shillings.

ToTo reflection conversation on Sky Sports of been morale in F1 about Horner. Keep your big nose to yourself ToTo. Your car needs help going by past engineer's and X designer's saying that Red Bull is ONE second quicker than last years car. If so ToTo you are in big trouble maybe that's why Hamilton saw through you an ran for the hills of Maranello.

A man that never smiles. Picture says a thousand words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

At this stage? It's only been public a couple of weeks. They're only doing an investigation, a court case would have taken months from beginning to end.

I don't know what you want but a few weeks isn't unreasonable when you consider that two people's careers and reputations are directly at stake. I'd prefer the investigation takes the time it needs, and not cram it all into a single news cycle in case F1 fans get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why, why, why wouldn't they (and we) just wait for the findings investigation?

Hiring a team for an independent investigation and jumping to conclusions would be irresponsible but also stupid. Having a dog and barking yourself.

Advertisement