Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Boston has an excellent and complex underground system supplemented with trams and a well spread out commuter rail network. So there, that's McCarthy, the recurring herpes sore, satisfied.

Honestly he must be 200 years old. Do they keep him in a crynogenic state and then defrost him anytime a some money is being spent on rail transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

How about some more drawings of fanatsy metro lines that will never be built starting with MetroLink?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

I agree it shouldn’t hold it up but this is twaddle.

It has some of the nicest houses in the country including the gorgeous Dartmouth Square. Alongside that, Ranelagh Gardens is very pleasant. It has a range of independent coffee shops and small chains that are regularly packed- Nick’s, One Kinda Folk and Project Black- I can’t think of generic Starbucks, Costa or Neros there. It has some excellent restaraunts and eateries (Gigi’s, Host, Butchers Grill, Nightgarden, Rita’s, Kinara, name but a few ) and some very good pubs that I won’t bother naming. Even the mini chains it has like Bunsen, Brother Hubbard and 3fe are not exactly bog standard in Dublin. Added to that a nice boutique hotel and cinema, along with the obvious transit link. You’ll go there at 10am or 10pm and it will be busy and there are not very many places that can say that.

After the Luas was built it became a spot again but then got the inevitable backlash but no serious list of best Dublin neighbourhoods leaves it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

It’s gone downhill unfortunately with no real development (other than Green Line spurs, which are worse than the Luas) and operational investment collapsing in the last 20 years.

Some of the commuter rail stations were reopened some years ago which was nice.

Not a lot in the pipeline either which is odd given the politics of the city.

We’ll overtake them with Metrolink and DART+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

OK, Im sorry for suggesting that Ranelagh is not the greatest place on earth, but none of the places you mentioned are going to be in any way impacted by the terminus in Charlemont. The biggest complaint is its going to lower the standard or vibe of the area.

• Advertisement

• There’s some people would give their eye teeth to be able to afford a place in Ranelagh or anywhere nearby. Bit of a green monster around people who diss it, methinks. I live in nearby Milltown and one visitor exhibited such immense jealously as to try to strike me, albeit ineffectually when inebriated. I should have called the guards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII tendering for the drilling of 65 geotechnical investigation boreholes along the MetroLink route. Contract value of 1.6 million euros.

The naysayers may say this is never going to be built, but the on the ground evidence suggests this is moving forward at pace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is that the same Colm McCarthy who was against the Euro, the Luas, The Luas Cross City, The Dart Underground, The Port Tunnel, The Dart Extension to Greystones and Malahide. I assume if it is the same Colm McCarthy, he is also against the Dart + extension North, South, and West.

Was he ever in favour of any rail project?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not just rail he is against Bus Connects too, basically any change or addition to dublin's public transport system is a bad idea to him.... until the next one is suggested and he extols the values of all the ones he previously was against as being a reason to not go forward with any new ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How this isn't brought up every time he opines on projects is beyond me. Never has someone been given such a platform who has such a track record of being spectacularly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I'm sure he's as big a rail enthusiast as McDonald, who likes to mention playing with train sets as a kid!! Obviously none of those projects were 'the right' ones, but I'm sure he's fully supportive of improving rail 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Heard Colm McCarthy this morning on R1. Hadn't heard him speaking before. I could tell from the sound of his voice the moment he opened his mouth he was going to go full gaslighting, and he sure did. It was awful to listen to.

It's here if you really want to punish yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Its so insufferable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Platforming bog standard 'economists' who wouldn't pass a plc exam in accounting on their best day, is what the Irish media does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Irish Times reporting on McCarthy’s submission at the oral hearing:

Economist Colm McCarthy said Metrolink would be “colossally expensive”. The benefits of the line “look to me to be insecure”, he said. “Is accessibility of Dublin Airport a big problem? No, it isn’t,” he said. “Metro, it seems to me, is a solution in search of a problem.” (My emphasis)

The same Dublin Airport that Fingal Co Co has refused planning permission to citing insufficient capacity of the local road network. The man is a sad deeply unfunny joke who has done untold damage to this country for decades. If only there was an equivalent of perjury for planning hearings.

McDowell and O'Callaghan can **** off as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The RTE version of 'balance' is to get the Flat Earth Society to oppose space missions.

Colm McCarthy is on the wrong side of infrastructure projects. He cites the Children's Hospital as an example of infrastructure cost over-runs. Of course the Luas projects all came in on time and on budget. The motorway projects in recent times all came in on time and on budget.

The Children's Hospital was a political football with political positions taken over its location, its composition, whether it should have space for private consultants. The project's scope was not decided until way after contracts were signed. A disaster was inevitable.

Metrolink will only cost more than it has to if the likes of these career objectors are listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,377 ✭✭✭prunudo

He's a dinosaur, who can't see beyond Metrolink being a link from the city centre to the Airport.

He only speaks to a select few, and if the media contuine to give him and his mates attention, the further they will sink as the upcoming generations don't care for him or the likes of the Irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The Children's Hospital isn't really on topic here, but the reasons for its siting and its cost could at least be defended on medical and operational grounds. Co-location is the best option, but in Ireland, with where the hospitals are (every suitable hospital is in a constrained site), that meant much higher costs.

Metrolink has been really well designed to reduce cost, and I don't forsee these problems of escalating cost for ML. People complaining about the price forget ten years of inflation, and more importantly that Metrolink has a capacity of over double that of Metro North (20,000 passengers/hr for Metrolink vs 9,900 for Metro North).

The price of both projects will quickly be forgotten once they're in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Okay folks. I'm getting drawn in again. I've been accused of being a nay sayer in the past. But I wanted this kind of infrastructure built. I always have. However I was involved to a degree 20 years ago. Getting involved does not mean posting on forums or making submissions to public consultations. I mean no disrespect in any way. I was lucky enough to get to the coalface 20 odd years ago.

Like I said in the Navan thread I have detailed knowledge of the Metro project too since it's inception. Both projects were very controversial in the mid 2000s. I was consulted for the O'Reilly report on MN circa 2005. That report recommended further investigation of a route via Glasnevin junction to connect with heavy rail. An idea put forward by a colleague and I under the banner of a campaign group back then. As a result the RPA invited me to meetings to discuss it. Rory O'Connor was the man in charge at the time. Their compromise was an interchange at Drumcondra station despite their original route having a station at the old Smurfit building closer to cross guns bridge and not considering an interchange with heavy rail. They came across like scared rabbits in the headlights and not wanting to admit they had missed an opportunity. Thankfully Metrolink included my idea of the potential at Glasnevin junction. I would also pay credit to my colleague at the time.

Now to make this post relevant. During this time I met with many politicians and it was an eye opening experience. They look for problems not solutions. They want to score points in the chamber. I expected it from the opposition but got loads from those in Government at the time. They only care about their next election. They will talk out of both sides of the mouths. Therefore I have no faith in them to deliver these big projects.

I'll leave you with this. I and a few former colleagues are responsible for the Glasnevin metro interchange, the PPT reopening and the dropping of DART underground because the PPT reopened. I wanted them all but your politicians cherry pick to score the proverbial points and then reserve the right to justify. It. You may slag of Arcadia junction and their apparent outlandish comments, but I wouldn't dispell it completely. The great people in TII and elsewhere in the process are like puppets like the RPA before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

In terms of charlemont terminus, ideally the metro will be extended to Sandyford etc. However, from an engineering perspective is there a viable tie in with the existing line? Typical in Ireland, we pander to@,few and a sub optimal outcome is delivered …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are people out there who are against ML are either forgetting, afraid of or ignorant of the fact that they would have to learn an extra bit of research into how they will have to complement it with other modes of transport once it's begins operation in Dublin around the mid 2030's?

ML will just be another option to them in Dublin if they want to use it. It's not going to be forced upon them if they don't want to take it. There will also be plenty of bus routes in Dublin for them that will now act as a complement to ML. However Luas and Dart will complement it as well. It might turn out to be a great benefit to them if they want to put in the effort of getting A to B in a quick amount of time rather than relying on the other PT modes that we have now which may give them a slower & much less pleasant journey overall.

People just have to be clever in how they use Metrolink to their own advantage if they want to use it for a quick commute or for other leisure routes if they so wish. If they are any Irish people out there who are against ML. Could they give any reasons to you or to other people as to why they are against it while other Metro rail systems are practically the norm across other parts of Europe and in other countries outside of it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An easy one? No, not really. South of Charlemont is mostly built up for a fair distance, so any tie in would have to be in-line. Not ideal, with the works taking the Green Line out of action for months, if not years.

I believe someone else here mentioned that they may be looking at more interesting solutions to it, including bring the Luas across from Charlemont, down through Donnybrook (controversial, it's quite tight, probably have to go one way for cars) past/into UCD and eventually meet up with the existing line at Sandyford.

That'd allow them to take the entire section that was due to be upgraded to Metro offline and do the upgrade without significant disruption to commuters in the city, while also connecting UCD to the rail network and making use of the existing green line. The only tough part of the project would be getting it through Donnybrook, and even that's not super tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Thks, interesting, presumably a Donnybrook Luas would follow the canal disrupting this traffic artery also? Is the tunnel trajectory south of Chareloment terminating close to the Ranelagh Luas station indicative of any future plan /route or does this alignment stand on its own ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sorry, I may have made this out to be more official than it is, until we hear otherwise, you can consider this a rumour or a suggestion. We won't hear about any future plans until Metrolink is under construction, and probably not until it nears completion.

I also should apologise, this is probably not the thread for possible future plans. Suffice to say that an in-line tie in will be difficult to approve due to the severe disruption that would be caused to green line commuters, and that any plan for a green line upgrade will need to take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

FYI here's the alignment at Charlemont. The left side is the canal towards town. You can see the Metro platforms between the two sets of stairs and the Luas station on the bottom left over the canal.

It is clearly lined up to connect with the Green Line but absolutely no reason it has to happen that way. Personally I think the fine people of Ranelagh et. al. should suffer a slow, over capacity, Green line ad infinitum, and some other areas of Dublin should benefit from future investment in a Metro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not really fair on people further out the line, especially beyond Sandyford, who have to put up with a slow meandering tram at crush loading level the whole way into town to placate the people of Ranelagh. It won't be the people of Ranelagh losing out the most from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm sure there are plenty of people in Ranelagh who would like to be able to hop on a Metro direct to the airport without having to schlep their luggage up to the canal first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

I suspect we'll hear rumbling about a tie in from the NTA the moment shovels are in the ground. They're keeping schtum so as to not "derail" the existing scheme. For good reason. Thats why they abandoned the tie in initially. It would be incredibly foolish if they were not procuring studies examining how a tie would go, whilst they are digging out the station box at Charlemont

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Agreed the NTA have learned to pick their battles and the sad truth is there are far too many friendly judges for South side nimby residence associations to choose from. The tie in needs to be a completely separate project which can be fought out in courts for years. The same applies to sandymount level crossings and sandymount cycleway

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that the NTA have a fairly good idea on what the plan will be, but I doubt that any of it is written down, for fear of it being FOI'd before it should be.

I'd guess that they'll commission a report which is basically show which route they want.

Advertisement