Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I heard a very good point on off the ball earlier. They were saying that part of the problem at the moment is the lack of any sort of news from the fai. So it leads to all sorts of theories filling the void. If the fai came out and said they were going to have a new manager in place for the nation's league matches, they'd be able to take their time to find someone quietly. But now it just looks like they want to fill the post but can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Roy Keane for the lols" - Didn't Ken actually suggest that a few weeks back? albeit tongue in cheek no doubt

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,643 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like in reality there's no rush, there's no games of consequence until September, and there's always going to be greater availability come the summer when contracts end after the Euros and league seasons are done.

Yeah, like Tuchel for instance 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Some of ye are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome thinking that sacking a guy who was a dead duck since June of last year and not having a replacement lined up when he finished up, let alone heading into March of the next year, isn’t horrifically embarrassing. It brings to mind the same level of comical mismanagement at the executive level in the FAI that would appoint a CEO who thought he could dodge his own position’s salary cap by avoiding taking his holidays.

This isn’t a plan coming together, lads, it’s irrefutable evidence one didn’t exist to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

They have a replacement they like, they just can’t afford him and anyone they can afford is not acceptable to fans or their head coach idea.

man utd, for instance, have loads of money but keep spending it in the worst ways imaginable. That’s embarrassing. Allegedly Ireland’s football association doesn’t have the money to afford the manager they want. Maybe that’s embarrassing to some but it isn’t to me. Whats embarrassing is that Ireland didn’t produce a single player of real quality for at least a decade until recently. What’s embarrassing is that there is not football economy in Ireland, no properly funded academy structure, terrible football infrastructure, what’s embarrassing is our place in the UEFA club coefficient, pretending that Declan rice is Irish, essentially that there is no money in Irish domestic football.

if you want to talk about embarrassing; that’s embarrassing.

I don’t understand anything close to feeling embarrassed because we might not have a manager for some March friendlies. I think it’s people like you experiencing a type of Stockholm syndrome because a load of journalists have created a feeding frenzy that we have to have news everyday on the progress of finding a new man or it’s a “farce”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I knew when Kenny was left in the job for far too long that the new FAI wasn't much better than the old one. I said when Anthony Barry left, it was a major loss for us. He was basically running things and any sort of improvement was down to him. I remember getting lambasted by some Kenny supporters at the time but I was proved correct. Unfortunately, the reputation of others such as John O Shea have taken a battering as they're now associated with the mess that was the Kenny reign.

The candidates that are floating about aren't too appealing. The FAI have had a year or more to search for a manager. With the budget available, they had to cast their net wide, get help if needed but attempt to find a manager with a growing reputation but as yet 'undiscovered'. Unfortunately, the FAI don't seem to have looked too deeply into it. It's sad really. The Kenny sacking should have finally brought an end to the Delaney era but this FAI are no better.

Your first mistake was assuming the vast majority of people who follow the national team have any interest in the sport in the country beyond that team. GAA, rugby and the EPL leave everything else in the soccer landscape here well down the order of priority. It’s questionable if it even deserves the grant money it does get at this point, let alone the types of funding we’ve heard the Second Captains campaign for.

What the majority want is a national team that doesn’t get ran ragged by Luxembourg and can be a bit of an escape a few nights a year, this isn’t actually that deep. They don’t care if the facilities in the LoI are crap, if John Delaney is having cocaine cowboy parties or if Tony Cascarino/Declan Rice are playing for us, if they’re being brutally honest.

That is the reality that people like Ken, Dion and Branno are always going to be fighting against. We are not really a nation of soccer purists and we never have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The players that play for the national team in the main come up through the LoI though so if you want a strong national team you need to improve the league and invest in it. Do you think Evan Ferguson just appeared like magic at Brighton? But maybe you dont want a strong national team from your post so maybe my point aint relevant to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I'm spot on again. Like I was with Kenny. Unfortunately, it takes some a bit longer to smell the coffee.

The candidates that are floating about aren't too appealing.

The job isn't too appealing.

Let's keep spunking that betting tax on horse racing and fecking greyhounds, eh? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think there's some truth in some of what Tucker Tim had to say, even if I wouldn't have put it so bluntly myself.

Beyond the national team and the PL a lot of people don't care really deeply about the state of underage football, or the LOI, or the facilities, or whatever. That's not to say there aren't plenty of people who do. But you could also say the same about people's attitude to any sport in the country. Plenty of people don't care about GAA beyond the county team, or rugby beyond big Ireland matches.

But I dunno if anyone is really out there claiming we're a nation of "soccer purists" either. Haven't heard that from anyone in a long long while.

Personally, I don't really care that it's taking a bit longer than expected to find a new manager - at the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things how important is that really - but because the media needs to talk about something it's getting pored over and discussed at length.

Just under a million Euro illegally used from the Covid bailout to pay off FAI debt. Hill claiming he was only joking about getting holiday pay. I don’t think my timing could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Unless I'm missing something, why was the CEO of the organisation getting personally involved in something as trivial and low level as annual leave for a junior staff member?

Surely someone in his position would have a team of people under him to deal with hr and annual leave related queries, leaving him free to actually run the FAI as per his position. I find it bizarre that he was involved in such an exchange. The email about him jokingly trying to get paid unused holidays himself really stuck out because I wouldn't expect a man in his position to have anything at all to do with that.

I've never even met the CEO of my company as they are too busy running the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree and my only guess is that the junior staff member was pressured to work through holidays at his request or someone close to him that was also mentioned on the redacted emails.

That's clutching at straws though. He needs to provide the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought one of the worst parts was he still lives in England. Can't we find someone living in Ireland to do the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

And the manager should live in Ireland according to the FAI. Not the CEO though, he can fly in as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If anything you could make a strong argument for the opposite, seen as how most players play in England so makes sense for the manager to be there.

Going forward though, most younger players will be playing here until 18 anyway.

And likely playing gaelic football or hurling at a higher level than whatever they’re doing in soccer anyways. By the time you’re 15 and if you’re showing any athleticism you’re making your county team’s underage panel. It’s that early that’s things really get serious with preparation.

LoI heads like Branno like to pretend that soccer players aren’t well served but except for a few rare examples they are all multi-sport at those ages regardless. Any development plan needs to account for the fact 16 year old Jimmy isn’t spending noon and night at his local soccer club even if they have space age facilities everywhere.

The GAA and rugby need to show value for money too but when it comes to Irish soccer it seems to usually devolve into pointing at the other crowd and whining about how much money they get without also acknowledging the development work those sports are doing for the exact same demographics that are playing underage soccer.

Post edited by Tucker.Tim on

And we're back to resources again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,643 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair there's been no suggestion that the manager should live in Ireland -- part of the remit was that they would HAVE A BASE in Ireland, not BE BASED in Ireland. Very different things. The expectation is just that they would come over more often, as part of the role as it is now seen involves working more with developing the academy structures, rather than only dealing with the management of the first team (hence why Carsley is the top candidate). They would still likely live in England, and be in England for the vast majority of their time, but would come and work on the ground with the football development folks occasionally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What a ludicrous argument. Don't fund soccer cause the kids are playing GAA too sure, and they have facilities.

It is a ludicrous argument, thankfully no one actually made it.

Edit: Just listening to this week’s episode where Branno is throwing his toys out of the pram because of the Casement funding and he, with a straight face, said Pearse Stadium is a great ground. I’m sorry but him and Murph haven’t a clue what they’re talking about with regards infrastructure, I’m from Connacht so I’m very well acquainted with Salthill and Pearse is a sight of a stadium built in literally the least accessible location in the city. It’s so close to the Atlantic coast that I genuinely have been to all of two games at Pearse that haven’t been ruined by wind alone. It was a physical power play to move the historic home of Galway GAA from Tuam, which even in its still shambling state is a much more enjoyable venue to watch football. Trying to get to and get out of Mannix Road is genuinely a mind-bending experience and I can’t get over that they think it is fit for any sort of dual purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

This week really shows how much of the whole thing Ken is. Well organised and produced show, but not nearly as interesting without Ken’s humour there.

I also enjoyed Paul Flynn putting in a question to Murph about how we would have dealt with a certain situation as a forward, but very quickly clarifying he was talking to Michael Murph lol.

• Advertisement

If the GAA chose to build their stadium in the wrong place that's real tough isn't it. It's not a problem the taxpayer should be troubled with.

Advertisement