Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

To me it looks like a commitment made under the Good Friday Agreement rather than the 2:1 rule with it being spent in NI.

I can see the advantage to spending it on that stretch of road where it would benifit drivers from Donegal travelling south, but if you wanted to improve roads for Donegal motorists there are quite a few roads in Donegal that could do with that money.

With the DUP being the DUP there is every chance they will find a reason not to take it If they do not then Donegal should be in with a good case for getting it.

In fairness to moderation they do seem to be very short on people wishing to moderate. That said, not long ago on another thread I was threatend with a ban if I posted figures showing the economic advantages of nuclear over wind energy.

Previously there was no such problem for posters picking out the most expensive nuclear options they could find and comparing them to wind, but when new figures for finished and operational nuclear plants plus quotes for others became know, along with the price for offshore wind capital costs going through the roof, suddenly comparisons were verboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they can walk out of goverment and cause an election

“Increasingly it seems it someone doesn't swallow the pulpit bashing that if we dont literally change our way of life tomorrow we'll all burn on a boiling earth next week is conveniently labelled a climate change denier.”

no serious climate scientist has ever said this. The IPCC reports are clear what needs to happen, and what the life will be like if we don’t transition away from fossil fuels. The only “convenient” thing is you exaggerating to make your weird point. Do you disagree with the latest IPCC report? What mitigation strategies do you think Ireland should pursue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

no serious climate scientist has ever said this. The IPCC reports are clear what needs to happen, and what the life will be like if we don’t transition away from fossil fuels.

A couple of points about that: most people don't get their climate information from the IPCC. They get it from news headlines and those absolutely do say the world is going to burst into flames next Tuesday week. (Obviously I'm using a little poetic license, but not that much).

Secondly, the IPCC is not immune from criticism either. They have continued to use the outlandish RCP8.5 scenario well beyond its use-by date. They themselves admit this now. But there have been 30,000 academic papers based on RCP8.5 since they admitted it, and even now 25 every day this year so far.

You are making the usual mistake that the IPCC summaries for policy makers are based on climate modelling alone. They are based on climate "scenarios" which model human population and economic growth plus a host of other things in addition to climate.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

A few weeks back when I mentioned carbon neutral v net zero it caused pure confusion in some of the most vocal posters on here because they hadn't a f**king clue what the difference was.

This was when I tried to explain the government had released a document on plans for the national grid, that went totally over their heads as well.

Not much of a debate is it?

Oh the sheer sweet irony of this. It's actually months back and you have repeated the same mistake literally dozens of times. You're the guy that doesn't think the government plans to phase natural gas out of the energy mix. You're the only poster for whom I keep an actual (well, virtual) post-it note on my computer to trot out each time you recycle the same mistake.

So here you are for the god-knows-how-many-th time:

"A couple of points about that: most people don't get their climate information from the IPCC. They get it from news headlines and those absolutely do say the world is going to burst into flames next Tuesday week. (Obviously I'm using a little poetic license, but not that much)."

Literally no media outlet has ever said this. For years the media actively ignored climate change or in the interests of "balance" gave the same amount of space to climate deniers (paid for by energy companies) as they did to climate scientists. There is some improvement now, but you still have much of the Tory owned media (all owned by billionaires) in denial. Your point does not illustrate any doubts about the climate science just how mislead people are by the media. And as a rhetorical device, saying something is "absolutely" true, and then in the next sentence saying you are using poetic licence is not a very effective technique. Of course, as always, feel free to link to any media outlets claiming the world is going to burst into flames next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We'd a poster here, now gone, who loved to link dump. And was all over the retrofit schemes and how great it was and blah blah blah

These houses were upgraded at no cost to the resident, and now the resident can't afford the bills.

It's also a bit weird that the budget for this work is being cut by 35%. Even more astonishing, in a "climate emergency" that the budget last year was only capable of 54 homes and maybe 35 this year. Anyone else think this scheme is bollox?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you say so mate

Tracking people on boards, weird

No rebuttal on climate denier so best to leave it at that 👍🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I stand by what the quoted part of my outlier post and IMO extreme views by the 'experts' on both sides are creating a sense of apathy by the non expert majority.

There's rhetoric to be found in abundance on both sides of the climate change discussion. Even on here a few pages back we had some chap blathering on about if Ireland doesn't stop burning fossil fuels then flooding will become more severe in the country in the years ahead. Hyperbole or what? Would I throw down my tools and slavishly follow such an expert opinion?

Do I believe the IPCC conclusions and recommendations? I'm not a climate scientist or expert in the field but I've listened to enough debate on both sides to believe that there's plenty room for ambiguity around its findings. Ireland should of course set a path to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels and increase its use of renewables over time. No argument there. The issue I have is the constant rhetoric that if we don't do it all today, irrespective of cost and what the rest of the world is doing, the world is fcuked. Quite possibly we're all fcuked anyway, who know, but certainly we could wipe out this country in the morning and never emit a gram of CO2 ever again and it wouldn't have a jot of influence on global climate change.

• Advertisement

The idea that climate science (some of the most peer-reviewed science in history) is just an "opinion" that can be debated by "the other side" is false. The "experts" on the other side are almost all paid for by lobby groups and special interests from the fossil fuel industry. There is no debate much as there is no debate that cancer is real and that smoking causes cancer. Flooding will become more severe in Ireland in the decades ahead due to climate change, just as drought will become more severe in Southern Europe. This is already happening.

Not one person who claims that there are "two sides" to the argument has ever been able to produce any evidence that its the case. Every country in the world (including Saudi/India/China) signs off on the IPCC reports - they literally sit in a room and go through the executive summary word by word in a process that can take days. Why would they do that if the science wasn't water tight?

Again, looking forward to you telling me who the "experts" are that are doubting climate change. While it would be comforting to think that climate change was a "scam", there is zero evidence of such, or that Eamonn Ryan is responsible for every negative event in the country, no matter how comforting that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There's no need to dictate to the assembly just make the funding package balanced. If 600m is going to a road, then 1.2bn needs to go to pt. That'd be enough money to really improve Dublin/Belfast rail.

It's not spent in this jurisdiction though. I'd say this is a grey area

Did you read the IPCC summary report and the IPCC scientific report? All that sitting around the table is to produce the summary report, where vested interests get to lobby like no mans business for wording to leave things vague. The same Saudi/China/India who are among the worlds biggest polluters all around a table aren't there to ensure accuracy, but there to ensure ambiguity so their business interests aren't negatively affected. Remember too that the summary report often cherry picks what it wants, doesn't always include the full context and often based on worst case scenarios from modelling, often on models with questionable inputs. The summary reports are not a like for like with the scientific reports that it's based on. You'll find further discussion on these reports in this thread from the time the reports come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's what I'm pointing out, there's a need for consistency here. Ultimately that €600m should be spent on upgrading Dublin-Belfast trains to modern standards, which will reduce car journeys. The A5 isn't really all that important especially when we're planning for a reduction in car usage. Building the A5 is counter productive, as is the Galway bypass if the goal is reduced car journeys

So you are saying that vested interests water down the findings of the summary report, but that the summary report is also based on worst case scenarios from modelling and on "questionable inputs? The summary report is of course different from the scientific report, it's a summary and cannot be as comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Scientific reports and their conclusions simply reflect buyers opinion - those who ordered and paid for it. That apply for everything not just "climate science".

You do know the scientists who write the IPCC reports don't get paid? So, indulge me, who "ordered and paid" for the latest IPCC report? I am going to have a wild guess that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Who "ordered and paid" for the latest Emissions Gap report? You don't seem to understand how the peer review process works.

Whole climate science is based on who pays for studies. That seems to be argument you like to use when you try to discredit studies which refute your arguments - saying "look, big oil paid for that" or *"look, Falun Gong propaganda sheet!!!".

Climate science and mainly CO2 part of it is junk science and thankfully people starting to come out and refuse this ideology.

*edited to add "green thinking" example

So just to be clear, you can't point at any "funder" of the IPCC reports, despite claiming they were "ordered and paid for." And then, amazingly you think you can discredit climate science by link to an article from THE EPOCH TIMES!!! Pretending that humans are not causing warming through the burning of fossil fuels is like claiming cigarettes don't cause cancer. You can argue it, but you just look insane. Pro tip: if you are trying to make a point about science, maybe link to an actual scientific paper rather than a Falun Gong propaganda sheet.

• Advertisement

If I claim cancer is a construct and then link to Gemma O Doherty's newspaper to "prove" my claim, I would rightly be laughed at.

The science is clear, and accepted by every country on the planet, no matter how many Falun Gong op-eds written by climate deniers you link to.

You seem to think that all sources are equally valid, a long discredited tactic of climate deniers. Enjoy living in denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

60% of EU green energy comes from burning biomass? Bizarre claim. Solar PV alone supplies more energy than biofuels. Hydro provides twice as much as bio and wind 3 times as much. So less than a quarter of your claim. Include nuclear - a carbon free source - and your down to single digits.

Bizarre to me is the E.U. and greenies somehow believing that burning biomass does not produce emissions, but there you go.

Thee 60% claim isn`t mine. It`s the E.U.s

From their own 2023 State of the Energy Union Report.

So rather than your vagueness as to how much wind, solar and nuclear provides of E.U. green energy you would be good enough to provide their actual respective percentages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Much of the content we read in media comes from billionaire backed eNGOs such as Covering Climate Now (CCNow) (RTE is a partner) and another called Climate Brief. CCNow are supported by a Washington DC based fund for constitutional government. Carbon Brief are funded by super bundling organiser the European climate foundation (ECF), who get their funds primarily from US backed billionaire foundations such as Bloomberg and the Rockefellers. Reuters trains Irish journalists under the Oxford Climate Journalist network, that is also underwritten by ECF. The Torygraph has been sold to the UAE, they source much or their climate and "energy" stories from Carbon Brief. Associated press receives funds to cover climate from the likes of KR foundation. The crowd behind attributing weather events to climate change are World Weather Attribution underwritten by the Grantham foundation. If you look up the financial statements (usually a 2 year lag, financial statements at the back of the documents) for Irish based eNGOs you will sometimes see grants from the ECF, and the EU, funding also comes from the taxpayer via the Irish Environmental Network and don't forget An Taisce. An Taisce have close working relationship with Friends of the Irish Environment, a private limited company that likes to open court cases. There is the local franchise of the multinational Friends of the Earth, whose members include failed Green party candidate Cara Augustenborg who sits on the Climate Change Advisory Council quango. eNGOs are a multinational industry, and you can chart the movements and relationships of their members in this country via linkedin.

All the future projections you see about the weather in X years time are generated using computer models with no demonstrated skill in successful prediction. Every few months Irish media will run fear stories about rising sea levels based on computer generated maps from an NGO called Climate Central,who use a modelling scenario known as RCP 8.5, that has no basis in reality.

PS, According to a climate scientist, Dr. James Anderson the world should have ended last year and another scientist Dr David Viner, back in 2000 claimed kids would not know what snow is. The world of climate astrology is littered with failed predictions going back decades.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

You asked for media links. You got them. Goodnight.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Who are the climate deniers?

Advertisement