Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I want to keep a good tyre on the car and a quieter ride is definitely welcome. I know some tyres make for a much noisier ride, especially at higher speeds, or in the wet. Do you have a specific recommendation I should consider? It won't be too long before I am replacing the front boots.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭allinthehead

You have the primacy on the back so I would go with them for the front. I suppose my point was that I just don't feel the Ps4's are worth the extra cost.

I have 4 x Conti sport contact 6 ev tyres on my 3 and they're much quieter than the Ps4's they replaced. Comfort levels are similar, grip is good, but the first thing I noticed was the reduction in noise. Tyres had similar thread levels too (upgraded to 19's after about 15k and wheels came with the Continental).

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

Sorry for confusion. The car I drove wasn't for sale, it was a friend of a friends car who let me have a short spin to see how it compared to an LR.

I have been looking mostly at LRs on DD but after that spin I had a quick scan and see most M3Ps are 2020 cars. Id like a 2021 with the heat pump and revised uberturbine wheels with a bit of general warranty left, as well as the max left on battery warranty, to deal with issues like the leaking frunk in the car I drove. As you say in the end it's a balance between length of warranty and price and I suppose if it worth paying extra for the P over the LR. Head and heart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Some good reviews on Reddit with Hankook iON evos, with reports they are slightly quieter and some small efficiency gains. Sidewalls are slightly stiffer as a tradeoff so may not handle as well as the PS4s. I think these may also be OEMs for highland in some markets also (AFAIK).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do you have a specific budget?

There’s a 2020 one there with general warranty until March 2025. 40 odd km on it. But higher price than the others.

• Advertisement

At the latter part of last year it was €35k for a decent LR but prices have come down since so I was was hoping to shave €1 or €2k off that depending on LR spec. But then I drove the M3P😛

I saw the 2020 car already and, other than its slightly too steep, my OH who has no interest in cars and least of all performance cars has 2 stipulations - it has to be a 2021 car or newer and no more than 60k kms. In fairness she knows I could get a decent 2021 or 22 ID4 for €30k odd so can't understand the M3 obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭td2008

There's someone selling a 2021/27km red one on the Telsa facebook group for 39k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Am looking at a Tesla 3 and just reading recently that pre-2021 didn't have heat pumps. How much of a factor is this when considering whether to buy a 2020 or 2021 model please? Most of my journeys would be short enough.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Adds a small amount of extra range, around 8% depending on weather conditions. It is good to have in any EV. The 2021 onwards LFP models have bigger batteries too so get about an extra 50-60km. They are also 180kg heavier and have slower acceleration than the 2020 ones, but benefit from powered boot and refresh console and a few other smaller things.

I have an SR+ and in winter on motorway at 120-125kph it makes about 250km to zero, so 200-220km real world before charging for the most part.

I done a 12 month comparison with a 2020 and 2022 M3P.

Some months, the heat pump car was more efficient and other months the older non hp car was more efficient.

My opinion, in Ireland, a HP makes very little difference but they are a good selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

The non heat pump resistive heater was made in Ireland so maybe buy Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks. So you wouldn't go for a 2021 model solely because it has a heat pump.

I know there are some other changes-

Double glazing, wireless charging-sounds good, central console redesign-nice enough.

Heated steering wheel-not bothered

As not a member yet just wondering would many cars be put up for sale on the Group that don't make it onto the likes of DD?

No.

Id buy based on spec and condition.

For example, id buy a 2020 P over a 2021 RWD.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, you tend to see quite a few being offered in the group before they get listed on DD…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The heat pump is more efficient in terms of getting the cabin to desired temperature much quicker, without the heat pump the car will rely on PDC heating only, with the heat pump there is not only the PDC element but the software in the car will run the drive motor to deliberately generate excess heat "loss" and then scavenge this into the cabin, it's pretty amazing how it can take -2/3 temps inside to +18 in literally a few minutes.

The non-heat pump model will do this also but will take longer.

It's great to have but not a deal breaker, oh and don't discount the heating steering wheel

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

After hearing all the stories about how bad the wipers are, I had my first real experience today in the Highland on a typical drizzly Irish day.

Yep it sure is annoying! :) ..... It's more a distraction in that it is so inconsistent! It lets down what is an otherwise very polished car. I see there is another "fix" on the way. How do you usually work around the issue - hover over the wiper button/stalk or just turn on manual setting?

I also had a "park assist degraded" message for a couple of seconds - I am guessing that is all normal with the cameras getting wet?

The adaptive headlights are a nice upgrade - not a single flash from an oncoming driver, so seem to be working very well. Also a fan of Park Assist ... between that, mirrors and the cameras you are well covered. Park Assist is very useful for low kerbs and parking spots.

Not much longer if any. - temps in Dublin to cabin temp of 20 in less than 5 mins through the app for me. 2020 car.

Im sure there’s a technical advantage but it’s not noticeable to the vast majority.

Sure the ID4 range doesn’t come with them as standard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭User1998

You can add the wiper settings as a shortcut next to the climate controls if that helps

Sill scratching my head over a 2021 M3P and wondering what would your view be on this one compared to the 2020 one your referenced earlier

Tesla model 3 Performance for sale in Co. Monaghan for €34,000 on DoneDeal

• Advertisement

2021 Model

Newer.

MIC Car.

EAP

General Warranty - Will expire in 3k (80k limit)

Battery Warranty until 2029.

2020 Model

White Interior.

EAP

General Warranty until March 2025 and Low mileage so warranty is actually longer on this car due to the 80,000 limit.

Has Privacy glass tints.

Has a new charger or roof racks included in the sale according to the ad.

Battery Warranty is only 2028 compared to the 2021 car.

On the face of it the MIC is much cheaper but will loose its general warranty quite soon depending on your mileage.

Post edited by Gumbo on

My preference would be the 2021 car. Prefer the uberturbines and hp and not sure how those brilliant white seats will look after a few years of abuse with dirty sports gear etc.

My only concern is the 2021 car is effectively out of general warranty and higher mileage means its unlikely the battery warranty will see out 8 years which would probably also effect resale value given that I do about 25k km per year.

Can hold off for a little bit more to see if more cars come on stream but am this stage I'm getting very impatient

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

Be very careful, don't trust TeslaVision. One guy on the FB group already reversed his M3H into a concrete pillar

For those who have experienced EAP does it add much to basic autopilot? Is it worth a premium when buying used?

If going the LR route would acceleration boost or EAP be more desirable?

I’d have AB over EAP.

EAP is good on motorway drives but I don’t do many so wouldn’t benefit me at all.

If I was in the market I’d now consider a LR as I have enough referrals to add AB then for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

I second Gumbos thoughts. Acceleration boost is worth the cost compared to EAP. EAP is only really beneficial for re-enabling lane keep assist(autopilot) after changing lanes using indicator. But you can buy S3XY buttons which will give you the same feature for €270.

Thanks both for that. I knew EAP was a bit of a limited upgrade so a nice to have but not really worth a premium.

A couple of weeks back I was all sorted with going for an LR with the option of activating AB at some point for a bit of power but then I drove the the M3P and have been a bit distracted. Only issue is the Ps are very scarce and either out of my price range or with high mileage which I'm a bit nervous of. Got to make a decision shortly as my current car needs replacing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Go foe the LR, its plenty quick.... and after a few months/years if it starts to feel a bit stale, get the AB to perk it right back up again...

The P is extremely fast, but it'll never get faster..

I know it's the rational choice.......but....

I was thinking the same as I bounced out of a pothole and rattled across a stretch of puddled badly surfaced rural road last night. Would have been wincing on the 20".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I have EAP on my 2021 LR. It is pretty cool on long motorway drives. It suggests lane change when a slower car is in your lane and also gets back after overtaking. You have to indicate for it to do the lane change, and also have to have the hand on the wheel, applying a little pressure towards the direction of change. The 2021 it also has summon/smart summon which is not available on the Vision models. Summon is useful when some nice driver fellow parks too close and blocks your door. Maybe once a year. Does the self park but it is terrible. I have no patience for it to park. Overall is not a must but a nice feature. Is it worth it? For me it did more than AB.

My wife managed to crash into a pillar with USS car so maybe not really cars fault.

Advertisement