Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Wha?

When we got telephone bills from Telecomm Ireland even in the 80s there was always a detailed record of telephone calls made and received.

Everybody in Ireland did as far as I now.

History Of phone Land line services in ireland

The original network was taken over by the Irish Department of Posts and Telegraphs (P&T) from the British Post Office in 1921 and used a mixture of manual and step-by-step automatic exchanges. Development of the network was relatively stagnant with slow rollout of automatic switching using step-by-step exchanges until after WWII. From 1957 onwards, P&T began to roll out more modern crossbar switches primarily using equipment supplied by Ericsson built at their Athlone facility. ITT Pentaconta crossbar switches, built by CGCT (Compagnie générale de constructions téléphoniques) were also used in some areas. This saw significant improvements to many services, but the network was still quite underdeveloped in rural areas. Digital switching was introduced in 1980 using Ericsson AXE and Alcatel E10 switches both of which were manufactured at facilities in Ireland. This saw a total transformation of the telephone network with modern automatic and digital services reaching even the most rural parts of Ireland by the mid-1980s. The fixed-line network is now made up of multiple operators using a diverse range of digital technologies .

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Unrelated to the case! Hardly,

How many unopened, expensive bottles of a generally unavailable french wine turn up in ditches? Ever.

Then near a murder case..

Raid the house for alcohol and then not drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I didnt say it wasnt - my point about 900 metres was that there were few other locations in that radius it could have come from so 900 metres is "nearer" than you think to Sophies.

But doubtful the wine bottle can tell us more ... it was one of the items that couldnt be tracked down during GSOC audit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How long after the murder was it found?

I believe it was months.

It was in a roadside ditch in an area that French and other European visitors visit in pretty decent numbers.

It could have come from anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

2 things

Stop the lights:

It was winter so even if the crime happened in the morning the lights would have a good chance of being on. Usually in winter you turn lights on to see things indoors and off to see things outdoors especially if the light was maybe starting to come up or if there was a car with lights on in the distance. Especially so for someone who didnt use curtains.

laces:

How tight were her laces tied? If loose a boot may come off in the struggle. I would ask this since if tied tight she did so with purpose and not in a rush like someone trying to put the bins out when hearing the bin lorry. This to me would indicate a person up and about and probably having breakfast and seeing something outside rather than some implusive caller to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It was found 3 months after the murder, on a rout Bailey might have taken home after murdering Sophie.

Post edited by chooseusername on

The boots were lace-up, but looking at the photos it appears she didn’t untie the laces when she took them off. So she just stuck her feet into the boots with no socks.

But not the quickest way home on foot if I'm reading the map images right?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

At the end of the day the DPP was probably right not to go ahead, going by what was presented to them at the time. The only person who by their own device can be placed anywhere near the crime scene around the generally accepted time is Marie F if at all. ( and of course the Lyon’s but they lived there so not the same thing) Talk of ghosts and premonitions is generally bullshit whatever way you look at it and will not stand up in court. The ravings of crackpots won’t stand up in court either. So according to recent reports the Gardai are still pointing toward Ian Bailey as the murderer, so there must be something they have that’s not been made public or else they’re trying to throw everyone off the scent by making it look that way while investigating someone else. However I think it’s wrong to write off the Gardai totally, as even back then there were good investigators and amid all the bungling some good investigation would also have been done. The problem was there simply wasn’t much to go on. A lot of murders don’t even have a motive so difficult to establish even that. Rural guards are and were far from stupid and have a fair to good idea of who’s who and the general pulse of things in their area. They had to be careful too as many of them lived in the areas they were assigned to and had kids in local schools and all that, so they couldn’t always take the risks they would have liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Agreed, even assuming the bottle of wine found beside the 'main' road almost 1km from Sophie's house, a bit up from the junction of the cul-de-sac and 'main' road is. in any way connected to the murder is all pure speculation.

As far as I'm aware there's no evidence to link it to the murder only pure speculation. It may equally be totally unrelated to the murder.

Like much about the case, there seems to be so many possibilities and little real evidence.

I don't for a minute think Bailey had anything to do with the discarded wine bottle.

I was responding to Fr Tod, who believes Bailey killed her;

Assuming it was Bailey and he went straight back to the studio (not via the bridge)

I thought it was found and was retested but no evidence was found. It's not far in the countryside and if unrelated to Sophie is a heck of a coinsidence!

Irish Independent: Gardai Investigating Discarded Wine Bottle

A special squad of g ardaí has been quietly re investigating the notoriously brutal murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

Source: Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder: A discarded, unopened bottle of wine re-examined

I have to ask are European visitors in the habit of throwing unopened bottles of expensive French wine, that they bought into ditches near a murder site?

The article is a bit vague, it is believed... maybe retained.

In the GSOC audit it was one of the items that could not be located at the time. Maybe it was retained by the forensics lab but it doesn't say much for the Guards chain of evidence keeping.

The bottle of wine was worth around IR£70 at the time, and would fetch well over €100 today. Checks with French police showed it was stocked at airport duty free. It was claimed in the book the wine had vanished, but it is believed the bottle, with its distinctive label, may be retained.

And, it wasn't just claimed in a book that it vanished, it was stated in the GSOC report. So the article doesn't inspire confidence in the writer's understanding of the case. Oh wait, it is Senan Maloney so all bets are off in terms of reliability!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

That's hardly likely now

A French tourist on that road throws a bottle of wine away

Police helplines looking for information about murders are often inundated with bizarre input from members of the public who have... let's say issues. Psychics and all sorts. Mini Marie Farrells.

Someone could have left the bottle of wine in a similar vein, although it was an expensive gesture if so.

The bottle was found 3 months after the murder 900m away.

900m is not close enough to be definitely associated with the murder but not far away enough either to totally rule it out.

The same with 3 months, it was found long enough past the time of the murder to be irrelevant, as in anyone could have put it there, but still not before the prime holiday season when you would have a lot more potential owners of the bottle in the area.

We don't know whether they were French, a tourist or whether or not they threw the bottle.

It's location and time of discovery make it equally relevant and irrelevant at the same time.

Agree with a lot of that

Experienced gardai saw the real Ian Bailey in interview.

We didn't. All we have is a lot of noise from Ian Bailey and his Solicitor .

They're 2 totally different realities

Doesn't prove anything of course

• Advertisement

The same experienced Guards saw Marie Farrell also and tried to present her as a credible witness.

One of those Guards has gone on record in TV documentaries and spread falsehoods about the case such as Bailey's jacket.

Garda evidence in the case was tampered with by Guard(s).

Chain of evidence on key items broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

But you have to admit there are coincidences that cannot or should not have been overlooked. Sophie had a habit of travelling through charles de gaulle for example.

And why would some other random person dump an expensive bottle of wine there? That would make no sense.

To me its strongly connected to this case.

Bailey or whoever killed Sophie was hardly acting rationally. Then again they would almost certainly have her blood on their hands from use of the rock alone. They would have to wash that blood off somewhere.

As usual you're not arguing very well

Marie Farrell was a fitup to try secure a prosecution . I've no issue there.

It's not related to my point about what gardai saw in interview

Their reality of Ian Bailey under pressure in interview and probably lying is totally different to ours

We have a confused picture based on what Ian Bailey and his solicitor are saying and other information

The theory that a random French tourist threw a bottle of expensive wine away at that location should be discounted

It's simply not plausible I'm sure most would agree

I'm also in the Bailey most likely did it camp.

He referenced a missing champagne bottle clue before the wine bottle was found. This was an extraordinary insight from Bailey, and its possible given the circumstances and his rush he confused a wine bottle for a champagne bottle. To me he dumped the bottle.

His insights into this murder were more than just coincidence. His feeling the night before fell into the same category.

Also he appeared to have other knowledge that no one else could have and his alleged garda source story is BS imo.

Who exactly "lost" this evidence? Gardai? Or forensics lab after analysing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

One other thing, some posters here are reeling at the sheer impossibility of walking a few miles in the early hours of the morning after a few drinks. It is perfectly doable, in 1996 many households still had one car, if that wasn’t available you were stuck with walking or cycling, so people were used to walking as a part of getting things done not like today where everyone is driven places and only walk for exercise or pleasure. A person of IB’s height and fitness could cover that distance in probably half an hour. Unless the man was drunk to the point where he couldn’t stand up there is no reason why he couldn’t make it. There are reasons why he was a likely suspect.

They went home and washed it off, got rid of the clothes, cleaned the car, sorted an alibi, then spent the next 27 years waiting for that knock on the door, still waiting! Like the parents of the Kerry baby John, that knock will come, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But they would hardly have walked southwards to Kealfadda Bridge instead of north-east to their own home.

"Got rid of the clothes" ? How? Evidence? The guards tried long and hard for this, and failed. That bonfire didn't show any proof.

And so on.

Advertisement