Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@bren2001 Thanks for clarifying and point taken.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And thats why this deal will sail through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

I voted NO

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I'm not saying it's not. I believe it will pass with 85% +. But not by more than that. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

What kind of back pay are people looking at once this kicks in?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don’t believe we will get a better deal if this is voted down. I voted yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The public sector can close down the country tomorrow. After a week max the government would fold. Weak union leaders in bed with the politicians are the reason we get crap deals which are worse than what those on the dole are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Have we ever closed down the country over a pay agreement in the history of the state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,448 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very very selfish views put forward in your posts often times.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

I think the unions could have been a lot more forthcoming with information as the negotiations progressed. And since an agreement was reached, they've often been misleading (9.25 v 10.25, etc).

Makes me somewhat dubious of their 'strong' recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

Since most services move that slowly it's practically closed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I understand your point. But I've had 16 years of this and I've had enough. I'm still doing unpaid austerity hours and still paying the austerity bank bail out pension levy. Enough is enough. We have thousands of our own citizens leaving this country to work elsewhere in hospitals, schools and other public sector jobs and we have people at the top in the public service (politicians/senior civil servants) who couldn't give a f**k to such an extent that they can now boast of giving public servants less in 2024 than those on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,448 ✭✭✭✭noodler

None of what you say there is really true.

Can I ask what grade you are and how long you have been that grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to leave a union at the moment where their fellow members are voting for pay deals half that of inflation, having no appetite for our only real tool of industrial action to force better deals and a union who can't even give us the correct headline figure. A decade of low inflation has made the unions and its members soft and seemingly unwilling to act, the first shock to that and they have failed both recent tests.

If nothing else every No vote sends a message to the union leaderships about how well we think they're doing...

Scrap the cap!

So workers who are trying to stop their standard of living being continually eroded are selfish?

Meanwhile schools can't recruit teachers, and lots of newly qualified gardai leave within a year - just two examples. I suppose they're being selfish too, for not working for less than they can earn elsewhere?

Scrap the cap!

Usual ignorant comment that is both untrue and pointless.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

You obviously don't use/depend on many of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Voted no because of the misrepresenting of the 9.25 as 10.25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Can anyone explain the local bargaining aspect in simple terms. I've read through it and still none the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's money you might get. Or might not. No one really knows yet so it's extremely disingenuous of unions to present it as a fait accompli. As above, this is a 9.25% deal, not 10.25%.

My understanding is that a 'pot' of money equivalent to 1% of the public pay bill will be available for payment through this provision in September 2025. Given that it's specifically *not* a general increase my worry would be that certain favoured / loud groups will hoover up the money with increases greater than 1% while others get nothing, e.g. I imagine a, say, 2% increase for nurses and Gardai is a hell of a lot more politically palatable than a 1% increase for both them and higher grade civil servants. Maybe this isn't possible under the agreement but I didn't see anything to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

The 1% is for each sector. For example, into will decide for teachers what that money will be spent on. Could be a general increase, could be specific allowances that were lost, returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a similar sectoral bargaining % in a previous deal; it went as 1% on pay to nearly if not everyone.

There are certain grades that are wildly underpaid compared to others but unlikely to get the support within their unions to have increased at everyone elses expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The 1% local bargaining is essentially to appease those who shout loudest. If a particular part of the public sector makes a claim that their group of employees deserves to be awarded the pay increase then they can make a claim to be considered for a piece of the pie.

It won’t be an across the board pay rise but will likely be awarded to small groups who can clearly point to a reason why they should get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks. When you can, would you mind linking/highlighting the relevant text in the agreement? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

And... No

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidan364

My union rep from Forsa explained local bargaining to me as, each individual sector can bargain with 1% of their pay bill. COs might try use their 1% to reduce the number of points on their scale to allow them to max out faster. Where HEOs might try and bargain around overtime. Try and be paid for the first hour of overtime or not have it capped at the 6th point of the scale.

If that is the case there will be a lot of negotiating for each sector.

Most HEOs never get a sniff of overtime, just as well because those overtime arrangements are a joke

I can't see anything happening other than 1% across the board, in the civil service at least.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I was offered overtime once in my over 30 years service, and that was for one day, a Saturday, to finalise briefing material for the Sec Gen's appearance before the Public Accounts Committee. That was after a week of working until midnight every night for which time-in-lieu was offered.

In my experience, overtime in the CS is not common, and has to be approved in advance though it may be different in departments other than the ones I've worked in.

Advertisement