Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭deezell

Put the immersion on a cheap timer, set for midday 2 or 3 hours, when you are likely to have sufficient panel output. Use the 3kw backup output of the Solis to supply this, it will continue to heat in a power outage if panel supply is sufficient.

The delonghi panels are ideal, 11 panels presents 540V open circuit, 448V at full output. Current input at at 11A is a close match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Might be off the topic, but I was actually of the same opinion as you deezell about the efficiency. If your charging a phone at 20watts, then 20% losses doesn't amount to much and most people (myself included) will pay the price for the flexibility of being able to chuck the phone on the stand and let it charge without mucking about with wires etc.

If on the other hand your pumping in 7Kw, if you have 10% losses etc then that's "not great" and will quickly cost you a lot over time. Turns out that induction charging (90-92%) is pretty close to conductive charging (which is like 95-96%) - that surprised me a little.

EV Wireless Charging: Power and Efficiency | WiTricity (futuretransport-news.com)

and plans on getting the efficiency up. Interesting space.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

very good price in that case. i'd question the need for an eddi though.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I used to think the eddi was pointless. But it works great as a timer to let the immersion come on during the cheep rate at night.

Also; I’ve configured mine to not heat the tank with excess solar at the moment; but eventually when the FIT drops off; I might change this approach.

If you’re not getting ripped off getting it installed alongside the solar makes a good bit of sense. Of course if money is tight; it could be better to save the cash; or use it to get more panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 zergetek

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Then pick up a second hand one later on.

But the FIT rate would need to be below the cost of heating your hot water via traditional means.

If your heating via solid fuel or you cannot heat your hot water only (yeah some people's houses can't heat only hot water..)

Then a convenience factor comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I think the convenience thing is key for me personally. For 8 months a year (March->Oct) I've hot water on tap virtually every day. Even for the dark/rainy days in the middle of summer, my tank loses about 1C/hr, so after even 24hrs from the previous days solar, the water is still warm'ish enough that you can do washing up etc.

Fiscally, Eddi ownership is a non-runner these days. €500+ for a timer, you'd be better off with a smart relay (€40 amazon?) and turn if off/on via your phone, schedule. I like the fact though that it's soaking up my excess. Yeah, you could heat it at say 7am on night rate and export that energy generated from your panels during the day for more income, but that's not always desired.

The way I look at it is that I could 100% spend the money everyday in heating the tank at 7am, or I -might- use excess (if available) during the solar production. So on one path, I'm 100% spending the money heating the tank, and the other I might (or might not) spend the export money.

Totally can appreciate that there isn't a right/wrong way on this and that people heating water at 7am and exporting the excess is a valid strategy.

Wholesale electricity is under 10c/kwh, so FIT at over this costs them. Id rather fit was only 10c and day rate was less.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

They are 395 ex vat. It’s an easy DIY install if you already have a circuit feeding your immersion. How much are people getting charged to have an eddi installed these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I am looking into Solar

1 quotes so far

House is B1, I think

HW and Heating , carried out by Gas, occasionally by solid fuel

House is 2000 sqf, two people live there

730 to 5 , Mon to Friday house is unoccupied

Pitched roof SE , other side is NW

Annual elec usage, approx 2800 kwh

Initial Quote for 3,267.2 kWh/Yr 10 panel system, 8155 E , no battery , no Eddi (apparently the panels are self cleaning , ie no annual clean required ??)

If I do go with a 10 panel , system, I will be feed back to the grid a lot at I think 24c per unit. . If my annual usage does not change, roughly what I get back from SSE , before tax

I charge my EV IOniq 28 overnight at .20 with SSE incl vat, car does 100km a week , rarely used. I dont have a Smart wall charger, but open to options . Mon to Friday the cars sits in driveway, meaning I can trickle charge when the "sun is high"

Open to the idea of an EDDI , to heat my hot water, as I dont see an EDDI as expensive at approx 600e . Can the Eddi be programmed ,so that when the HW water reaches , a set temp, 40c for example, to stop sending elec to the HW tank

A Battery if needed is expensive

My Dishwasher and Washing machine, can be easily programmed to turn on whenever I want

After a clothes Wash I dont use my clothes dryer as I consider expensive to run, however if I have solar provided "free" elec I am option to options

Assuming I spend 8k for 10 panels and Eddi, whats the approx payback time, if any

Post edited by k123456 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Are you sure you're only using 'annual elec usage of 900 kWh'? That's very low. That’s only 2.5kWh a day. It’s ~ 1.5kWh a day just from a fridge and freezer.

We use 2800kWh excluding heating, cooking or the EV. And our usage is fairly low.

That is the figures from the Web version of my SSE provider but yes, seems suspiciously low. the figures dont add up. I rang SSE but they are not able to help . As I have a smart metre , am I better off calling ESB networks to check my usage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Be very wary of the installer SSE use, they are one of the most expensive in the country if not the most expensive and use bad sales tactics, like having all parties who need to sign forms in a household present at meetings to push for a sale on the day.

You will most certainly get the same system they try sell you a hell of a lot cheaper. Don't be fooled by the high Feed In Tarrif either because it is conditional and you will get rates with no catches not far off theirs when you do the maths.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Just sign up for the ESB Networks, It will show all the "meter reads and your actual use from your SM)

or pull up your bills for the last year and add up the units.

I agree, quote 1 from the company affiliated to SSE

I asked the sales rep

Do the panels need cleaning on an annual basis to preserve efficiency Answer was "they are self cleaning "??

Q If In sell my excess to the grid FIT , am I liable for tax, Answer No

They did mention if I sell back to SSE , my rate to sell back would be 34c

most other providers rates are 20 to 25.

I have miscalculated my annual consumption, which I will amend, in my earlier post

If anyone has time, would appreciate some pointers , please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Panels don't generally need cleaning, we get more than enough rain to do that! You can add additional qualifying house members to to your electricity bill to avail of multiple €400 tax exemptions. Most panels are the same quality, fit as many as you can/want on installation day because it's way more cost effective.

Inverters are similar enough, most top brands will do certain jobs the same but some handle certain things differently so do research on them. Batteries and Eddies are different strokes for different folks so again do your research based on your usage and future usage. Car chargers are the same, most will be driving electric soon enough so if you intend buying one soon get it fitted on installation day.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Hi all,

Based in Kildare and want to install 16-18 panels (SE and SW placement ). Got quotes from a few reputable companies and added same to a spreadsheet.

Getting conflicting info re need for optimisers. Above is a pic of the SW of the house at 12:50 a few days ago. I know sun is lower during winter but curious should we conservatively go for optimisers (x8) or will 2 do or will none be OK?

No massive outliers in the above quotes when it comes to price aside from one provider charging 8000 for a 10 kW battery (Dyness BX51100) while another one could provide a 5kW Sofar GTX for 1700.

Wanted to check should I prioritise glass-glass or is that irrelevant

Any feedback appreciated. Have anonymised company names

• Registered Users Posts: 2 arungeorge82

Hi All,

I have been closely following this forum for the last few months ever since I decided to take the plunge on going Solar. Thanks to you all for sharing the collective wisdom here. I am in my final stages of deciding my Solar PV installation which would happen sometime in March and would really appreciate if you could share your feedback on my below options.

Current Annual Electricity usage - 3600 units (This will increase as I just bought an EV)

• Option 1 - 4.35kWp solar (NO BATTERY AND NO HOT WATER DIVERTER)/Huawei 5kW hybrid inverter - Cost €7,200 (€4,800 after grant)
    • Option 2 - 4.35kWp solar and 5kWh battery - Solis 5kW hybrid inverter(5-year warranty) / Dyness 5kWh battery(10-year warranty) - Cost €9,200 (€6,800 after grant).

Both options are from the same crowd and has all identical configuration except for the above. I am leaning towards option 2 based on earlier comments about charging battery for 7-8 cents using night EV rates window and also future proofing against any deep cuts to the FIT rates. However, would like to know what people think about

1) Whether battery is worth the 2K additional cost?

2) Long term durability and performance of Solis 5kW hybrid inverter & Dyness 5kWh battery(10-year warranty) as I couldn't find much info on them online, especially since the inverter has 5 year warranty instead of the 10 year one from Huawei.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theMountain

Hi all,

Got a quote today for 10kW PV system

TAMS 3 grant install ...

• 24 X Jinko 435W PV panels
    • 1 x 5kW Solis Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 5kW Weco Battery
    • Complete installation

€16,200 + Vat (I can claim back)

Does it sound a bit on the high side ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Re optimisers, see if you’ve older pics of the roof and check the date and time to see shading over the course of the year. In reality what happens is the string will have poor output until all the panels are out of the shade.

I’d suggest get some for the shaded corner. Others here will disagree. I’ve 5 optimised out of 16 panels that are in a shaded section. I’ve seen the shaded ones at 15w when others (not shaded) are getting 100w+. I've 6% higher output from my lowest to highest optimised panel. Without optimisers that whole string would run at 6% less (as runs at wattage of lowest panel). Ok, 6% isn't massive but it's forever.

Or avoid the shade and put the panels higher and further back (away from the shade). Won't look as pretty but also gives you room to expand in time.

Optimisers tends to be a heated topic here. So may advice as a user is get the ones on the shaded section.  

Gonna counter the optimiser argument a bit.

For Hard shadows, eg a roof shadow, Optimiser doesnt do much, as like you said the shaded panel was only doing 15w.

On the panels now, that have bypass diodes, It doesnt bring the whole string down, the shaded panel gets bypassed, as if its not connected.

But on diffuse shadows thats where optimisers would work, the shadow isnt strong enough to trigger the bypass diodes, thats when it will drag the whole string down.

I have meet one of those overconfident sales man recently. He was 101% sure he (SSE) had the best deal of the universe. He was throwing discounts after discounts and he ended up 2500 euro more than the cheapest offer before him. Avoid.

Very expensive. I have received quote for a similar setup without battery below 10000 euro before grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

ya something wrong there especially with an EV(even with low miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

Am being charged €50 each for Optimisers I would lean towards getting them where needed in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

5.22kWp (12x 435w), 3.6kW Solis hybrid inverter, BER - €5,700 (€1,090/kWp).

Initial quote was for 5kW inverter but decided to go with 3.6kW to retain existing panels. Combined output will be 4.8kW so not a huge drop but also a bump to 6.5kWp which should improve generation in Winter or cloudy days.

Original company have been stringing me along for the last two months, I've lost €300 in the grant as I've had to do a new application. Emailed the new company on Saturday, site survey completed today and installation planned for Tuesday.

It might not be the best price, 3.6kW might not make a lot of sense to some people but I have a one off budget for this. Garden needs to be done up next, also just had a baby. There's no money for a battery or more panels in the future hence wanting to retain current panels. I've contacted 9-10 companies, even had one reach out to me on a Facebook post offering to "sort me out" and absorb the grant difference only to completely ignore me when I reached out.

So there it is, the frustrating two month attempt to spend six grand hopefully coming to a close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimmyk3nny

Looking at getting solar panels for my house. Recently got a quote from ***** for 8 panels (3.48 kWp, 30yr warranty), 5KLT inverter (20yr warranty), Eddie diverted, and BER assessment for €7,800.

Would this be a good price? I have seen posts from other people that said they got 10 panels and a battery for around €8000. We wouldn't be high energy users in the house so that's why we were recommended the 8 panels.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've moved your post to the quotes thread. I've also removed the name of the supplier. For further information see the first post of this thread. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tommythecat

As others would chime in you should max out the panels on the roof now. You don't want to be getting someone back to add more later. That will cost more. The panels are the cheapest thing. This will help in winter months also.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Advertisement