Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭StormForce13

Voting NO for both

Why add to the confusion? But perhaps you're a lawyer licking his (her) lips at the prospects of more business coming down the tracks?

Voting NO for both

As does Roderic O'Gorman who, notwithstanding his impresive legal qualifications and career as a law lecturer, is unable to define the word "durable".

I know which of them I'd prefer to buy a pig in a poke from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Peadar Toibin's point, were there to be a Yes outcome on the family ref, when debating Thomas Byrne was definitely thought provoking:

If a couple split up but don't divorce and a new relationship starts with one (or both), would this new relationship have exactly the same legal basis as the previous undissolved marriage/civil partnership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Augme

Voting YES for both

Words are never defined in the Constitution. Why would any government starting doing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

...and all Thomas Byrne could do was nervously drink his water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Voting YES for both

She couldn’t elaborate, she was being impartial, McDowell wasn’t. He’s the same with the Luas stuff.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Voting NO for both

Is this seriously the level of questioning you have to stoop to? Being difficult for the sake of it?

What do you think "words" are not defined in the constitution?

Various articles use words like 'affirms' 'Freedom' 'remuneration' all these words already have a clear meaning and are understood in the legal context in which they are used.

'Durable Relationship' has no clear meaning and is not understood in the context the government is trying to add it to the constitution.

Or do you not care about the legal mine field it creates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He was very unprepared for the debate. There are definite strong points on both sides - on balance, I'm inclined towards No - but Byrne struggled to argue the govt position at all.

Voting YES for both

I'm not being difficult for the sake of it. I'm simply asking people to point out where the Constitution defines terms used in the Constitution. For example, what's the definition for "public order and mortality"? What's the definition for "seditious or indecent matter"? What's the definition "personal rights"?

The Courts have been interpreting and defining words used in the Constitution for decades, and it has been an essential for ensuring people's rights are provided for. I don't understand why this is suddenly viewed as a negative. Its a fundamental necessaisity for a democratic society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

How can you continue to claim impartiality when you've engaged in questioning the personal motives of others? Whether overtly or with subtlety.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Because it's never too late to start improving things.

Voting NO for both

Of course she could have elaborated and I'm disappointed with the Plank for letting her away with such a cheap shot. He used to be a decent journalist so perhaps he's getting lazy.

Voting YES for both

They need to hold a referendum to start doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Voting NO for both

The more I read about this, there is huge uncertainty around a yes vote.

I will be taking the safe option and voting No on both questions.

Voting NO for both

Leaving out the context of how those terms are used in the constitution. Again, the examples you listed all have an almost universal definition. If I was to ask 100 people what public order, morality or sedition is the vast majority would give you the same explanation/understanding.

Durable relationship could mean literally anything - adding such a term to the constitution is like opening a legal can of worms. You can almost guarantee another fortune will be spent cleaning up the mess it creates in both the courts and further referendum.

This may also be the first time the government is deliberately putting in such a vague term, that they know is going to cause untold trouble down the road.

Voting YES for both

So you can't define them. I'm glad we cleared that up.

As for them having a universal definition, of course they don't, to suggest they do is proposterous to be honest. What Enoch Burke things is "moral" will be massively different to what Panti Bliss does. But thankfully, we don't rely on 100 randomers to determine what these terms mean. We let Jusges who have worked within the legal system for decades.

As for sedition, there's an interesting case going through the courts in America trying to determine what that is. As you can imagine, opinion on what sedition is, is quite split. Again, given I've seen people call the current government traitors to the State etc so I certainly wouldn't be asking 100 randomers to define what that term means either.

If the Supreme Court can't come up with a sane, sensible determination of what a "durable relationship" is, then the list referendum is the least of our worries. However, I personally have found the Sumpreme Court decisions down through the decades to be very reasonable and rational, even the ones I have disagreed with. I can understand the freedom of the land legal experts do struggle at times with the decisions of the Courts though.

Voting NO for both

Do you actually want me to type out definitions for you? I assume you are older than 12?

Did I mention a universal definition?

We will have to agree to disagree - it is clear you are will be voting yes regardless.

Voting YES for both

I do. It should be very easy given how everyone knows exactly what those terms means.

You mentioned an "almost universal definition." Eithr you think those words have a universal definition or they don't. Given how much you don't like the Government using vague terms your use of the word "almost" is quite ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

I was yes and yes but Peadar swung me over ,no doubt Thomas Byrne was completely out classed .

So now I'm No /No .

I can't believe I didn't realize the consequences of passing these referendums ....

Most people aren't aware of what a yes vote means

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Voting YES for both

24% - 64% Yes -No at the moment.

I wonder will the No voters relax and not bother going to polling stations as they are clear in the lead? Could be close in reality.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

Well i had to use almost as I can not account for the various village idiots.

As you mention ironic, I do find it amusing that you want definitions now, but not for something going into the constitution. The government are free to use whatever terms they want - just not put them in the constitution.

Again you miss the very basic point. The terms you mention, people understand, will there be edge cases? Yes - this is where the courts come into play, which they as you mentioned have done in the past.

But once again, durable relationship can mean anything - you are essentially asking people to vote on a place holder.

To the best of my knowledge there was nothing stopping the AG/Government seeking an actual definition of "Durable relationship".

You strike me as the type of person, who, even if I had a crystal ball to show you the future and the fall out from this, you still vote yes.

Voting YES for both

So again, you can't provide definitions for them. Good to know.

I also find it very amusing that you've been banging on about the lack a definitions for durable relationship given nothing else is defined in the Constitution. Terms have never been defined in the Constitution, I have no idea why they would starting using then now or why people suddenly feel they are essential to be in the Constitution.

The idea that everyone knows definitions for moral, sedition and personal rights but will he absolutely dumbfounded by the term durable relationship is comical. Also, the idea that the Supreme Cpurt will come out and say a one night stand is a durable relationship is equally as comical.

But you don't have a crystal ball. You have absolutely nothing except some extremely far fetched "what ifs".

Voting YES for both

The judge, who was in Pat Kenny’s show, pretty much said the same. She pointed out that the durable relationships will have featured in cases previously.

The ones who are saying “it could literally mean anything” are the same sort who were saying “someone could marry a horse” during the same sex marriage referendum.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Voting YES for both

No, if it were Peter Casey would be president, B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

I like to think this site is, but AH and current affairs is for the angry men who shout a lot...

• NO+NO

A handful of twitterati but I can see it may be reflecting a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Voting NO for both

Great answer now tell what both Norma foley and Catherine Martin were at when they got caught out telling barefaced lies. Saying that the constitution says a women’s place is in the home. Did you miss that bit? Hoodwinked you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I am voting NO (family amendment)

Funny you say that, I thought the same about Boards not being representative of Irish society about 15-20 years ago. Back then, if you did take Boards that way, we should have been a very liberal country with a SF majority government.

• Advertisement

• Amazing the way people who style themselves as “progressive” could potentially be turned the clock anti-clockwise depending on the interpretation of the vagaries of the wording in the Supreme Court.

Advertisement