Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Augme

Not just single unmarried parents, but unmarried couples who are also parents and also couples who live together with kids from previous marragie relationship etc. I think the concept that a family only exists due to a marraige is outdated.

The reason I'm voting yes in the Carers referendum is to ensure the Constitution acknowledges the role men play in being carers and that there is some, although small, responsibility on the State to provide for supporting men in their role as carers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

I asked earlier whether a yes vote will oblige the government to support carers.

Is this true and what changes to enact this obligation compared to the current wording or structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

Yes we are on the same side, you did say that answers were given but I dont see it?

i do see that they are the main arguments, but they are vague? What exact impact is that going to have, from the answer that have been provided before, they just dont like wording!

can they give specific reason to justify all the time and money being spent?

for example

recognising single unmarried parents as families .. what specifically is this going to achieve? NO wishy washy answers - specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

THE FREE LEGAL ADVICE Centre (FLAC) has expressed concern about the possible consequences of the proposed care amendment to the Constitution, calling it “sexist” and “ineffective”.

The group’s legal analysis concluded that the amendment is unlikely to provide carers, people with disabilities or older people with new enforceable rights or improved services from the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The flaw in your argument is the usual one with liberal/left-leaning advocate types - too much focus on individuals rather than the content.

Most people, once they reach adulthood, don't particularly care about "celebrity" views on ANYTHING. Additionally they're able to understand that an individual will have different views on different topics, some more conservative, some more liberal.

Real life isn't a Twitter echo chamber.

• Advertisement

Clearly not many of these adults are voting No then, given most of the reasons I've seen are that if the Greens are pushing for a Yes then they'll vote no. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Where are you seeing this?

Certainly not a big point on this thread.

I don't disagree with their analysis, but the new proposal certainly doesn't weaken anyone's rights and only improves the potential for the rights of males carers to be provided for.

I do think the Carers amendment could jage went further, but I don't think it not going further is a valid sensible reason for voting No. A small improvement is better than no improvement at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Where is the

"He said he agreed with McGreogors position of voting No on both"

Extremely disingenuous posting. Are you Catherine Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

There is a very strong correlation.

There is money coming for the No side because people feel that is where the value is and thus the odds are lowering.

In any case as to my point, if the No side is still at 17% in polling, the odds on a Yes vote are literally buying money.

• Advertisement

I was referring to Elon Musk in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,720 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't agree with their analysis. They've absolutely no basis to call the amendment sexist. The current text in the constitution absolutely is sexist though.

Also thinking that we can oblige future governments to spend money because we inserted something into the constitution is ridiculous. I'd rather delete the waffle about 'home duties'/ caring / whatever entirely, but replacing a clearly sexist and archaic text with a neutral, albeit aspirational one, is an improvement.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The other day on Morning Ireland Justice Marie Baker of Chair Electoral Commission, when explaining Amendment 40 said

"The proposal is that recognition will be afforded to all care within the home, by men or women or people who don't identify as men or women..."

Her use of the phrase “people who don't identify as men or women”, stood out. Was her use of this phrase merely an expression of her personal beliefs, or are we to understand that Amendment 40, if approved, would not only erase the words ‘woman’ and ‘mothers’ from the Constitution but would also constitute Constitutional recognition of the legal cogency of the notion of gender identity? If the 40th Amendment involves the 'covert' and implicit introduction of gender ideology into the Constitution, shouldn’t those who are at present contemplating approving of it be made explicitly aware of this startling development before they vote?

And O Gorman says that polygamous marriages will not be recognized as 'durable relationships' because polygamous marriages are not valid under Irish law. yet he also says durable relationships must be protected and recognized in the same way that marriages are. So, if you can legally be in more than one durable relationship at a time, which you can because "what is a durable relationship" is undefined. Would this in fact, result in those engaged in polygamous marriages being able to argue that those in durable relationships are treated more favorably than they are - and this would presumably result in polygamous marriages having to be recognized in order to ensure equal treatment, rights and protections between marriages and durable relationships?

If your understanding of gender ideology is using gender neutral terms then that concept has been in the Constitution from the very beginning.

Tracey O' Mahony, (B.A., LL.B, B.L.) a Barrister and Founder of ICHR went through claims flying around and provided Facts on the proposed 39th Amendment of the Constitution (Family) Bill 2023. Thought it might be useful for some.

The Claim - The Constitution needs to be amended so Gov can offer the same rights to those who are not married, as those who are married

• The Facts - The Government has the executive authority to introduce any law it wishes into the Houses of the Oireachtas - meaning that if the Government wished to close any gap in rights and protections between married and unmarried couples, it possesses the executive authority to do so. In order to illustrate this fact, in 2010, the Government introduced a law titled "The Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010", noting that this piece of legislation was designed to ensure that co-habiting couples in "committed and intimate" relationships could be given certain rights and protections under the law, noting also that such couples could also contract out of these rights and protections. Note that as of 22 January 2024, the Supreme Court held in John O'Meara & Ors -V- The Minister for Social Protection, Ireland and The Attorney General - that it was unconstitutional to deny an unmarried father of 3 children a widowers pension simply because he was unmarried

The Claim - The Constitution needs to be amended due to societal changes to the meaning of the Family, given the Constitution only recognises and protects families that are based on marriage

• The Facts - Former Supreme Court Justice, Brian Walsh stated: "It is true that the family envisaged in this Article is the family based upon marriage....However, it is not correct to say, as it has been frequently stated, that the effect of judicial decisions has been to declare that the only family recognized by the Constitution, or protected by the Constitution, is the family based on marriage. What the decisions have said is that the 'family' referred to in Articles 41 and 42 is the one based on marriage. The courts have said that other Articles of the Constitution may be availed of and invoked by what have been called 'natural families'; that is to say, families, or groupings that resemble families" which are not based upon marriage. What Article 41 deals with is that easily recognisable unit that is accepted throughout Western Europe the unit based upon marriage.....The variety of other possible unions or groupings does not make it feasible to have any general rules applicable but, as the Constitution itself does, will leave each individual case to be dealt with according to its own particular circumstances."

In light of the above, it is incorrect to say that only the Family based on marriage is protected and recognized by the Constitution

The Claim - The Constitution needs to be amended to enable the Government to offer the same rights and protections to those who are not married, as compared to those who are married

• The Facts - The Government have the executive authority to introduce any law it wishes into the Houses of the Oireachtas - meaning that if the Government wished to close any gap in rights and protections between married and unmarried couples, it possesses the executive authority to do so. In order to illustrate this fact, in 2010, the Government introduced a law titled "The Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010", noting that this piece of legislation was designed to ensure that co-habiting couples in "committed and intimate" relationships could be given certain rights and protections under the law, noting also that such couples could also contract out of these rights and protections.
    • It should also be noted that as of 22 January 2024, the Supreme Court held in John O'Meara & Ors -V-The Minister for Social Protection, Ireland and The Attorney General that it was unconstitutional to deny an unmarried father of 3 children a widowers pension simply because he was unmarried.

The Claim - The constitution needs to be amended to introduce the recommendation from the Citizens Assembly on Gender Equality

• The Facts: The purpose of this referendum is to extend the definition of family to include "other durable relationships". The Citizens' Assembly on Gender Equality did not propose this term, and there has been considerable criticism of the introduction of this term, from all spheres of the political spectrum.

The Claim - The Constitution needs to be amended to extend the protections offered to the Family under the Constitution, which they say are limited to families based on marriage to include "other durable relationships" -as this would ensure that all such protections

The Facts - As the term "other durable relationships" is neither defined nor limited in scope, the Government cannot say what type of relationship will be considered a durable relationship, instead this will be a matter for the Courts to decide-meaning that it is quite likely that lone parents and those cohabiting will have to challenge the definition of "durable relationships" through the Courts. Also (and quite concerningly) TDs, Senators, and the Electoral Commission have raised concerns that "other durable relationships" may include:

• Friends living together, who are not in an intimate relationship (Jennifer Carroll MacNeill TD); AND
    • Couples (which does not necessarily mean people in an intimate relationship) who are invited to weddings together or send Christmas Cards in joint names (Judge BakerElectoral Commission); AND
    • Polygamous marriages (Michael McNamara TD); AND
    • Foster children (in relation to contesting a foster parents will) (Senator Sharon Keogan); AND
    • Persons engaged in extramarital affairs (in relation to contesting their married partners' will) (Senator Sharon Keogan); AND
    • Family and friends and extended family and friends of asylum seekers (Michael Collins TD, Neale Richmond TD, Senator Sharon Keogan, Senator Michael, McDowell, Senator Ronan Mullen)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You realise that 'gender ideology ' is the law in this country since 2015

The Gender Recognition Act 2015 allows Irish people to legally change gender based on self determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Taking that argument to it's logical conclusion then say a couple divorce and one side seeks a maintenance order against the other, what happens if the person seeking the order is in a durable relationship?

Should the other party be expected to pay maintenance or does the obligation to support your durable relationship partner overrule that?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

"Strive to" should have been removed from the proposed wording, leaving a simple "Shall". Thus putting the onus on the Government to absolutely support the provision of care. They have used the word "Strive", which is wishy washy and holds nothing over the Government regarding its obligations.

But no surprises there. That is annoying me intensely, apart from all the other BS about "durable", which in itself is beyond definition it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed once you attempt to extend the notion of family beyond that resulting from the clarity of civil marriage, you get into all sorts of difficulties. Presumably that's why the vague term 'durable relationship' was chosen, to cover as many bases as possible. But it's so vague that it could and would ultimately cover many types of relationship and confer similar rights to them as civil marriage. I don't see any way around that and whilst it may seem unfair to single parents, I'll vote no. I have little sympathy for co habitating couples, they can get married if they wish to have constitutional recognition as a family, straightforward and cheap to organise.

• Advertisement

The inheritance issue is important. At the moment a spouse can claim the "legal right share" of a deceased spouse's estate. That is half if no children, and a third where there are. That is assuming that the deceased spouse did not leave that share to the surviving spouse in a will. On intestacy where there is no will, the spouse is entitled to 2/3rds and the children (if any) to one third shared amongst them. Spouse gets 100% if no children. No inheritance tax applies to spouses, it does to co-habitants.

That is one reason why many don't marry, in order to protect assets for children, or a business, or a farm or whatever. Of course the majority DO marry, but there are circumstances where marriage may result in the devolution of assets to a person who is incapable of say managing a business/farm etc. If the will omits them, they can claim their legal right share anyway.

So, has anyone clarified what happens going forward if the referendum is carried? I reckon a lot of this stuff has been hidden in the black hole of FOI restricted information that ROG refused to release.

That's just one aspect. Maybe the easiest thing to do is to abolish inheritance tax altogether and have an estate tax so relationship to the deceased doesn't matter anymore as the estate is taxed not the individual as they do in the UK. However, there is still an exemption there for spouses, but no legal right except on intestacy there. Legal action must be taken, whereas that is not necessary here in order to claim a legal right share, it is given as of right.

I'm just throwing it out. And I reckon a lot of this stuff has been hidden from view or comment by the Government in the event that spouses and durable relationships may have the same weight in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoastalCork

What are the bookies saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What happens if you don't recognise the gender ideology belief system? That is to say that a man can actually turn into a woman, and a woman can turn into a man!

It may be law, but I don't believe in their gender (self ID) ideology for one moment.

Nothing happens. The same way nothing happens when someone doesn't believe some little pixie lives in the sky, created everything and is called God.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hmmmm but actually currently depending on the situation people can claim against the estate of a dead partner if they were cohabitants

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

In The Matter Of The Family Law Act, 1995 [Supreme Court Appeal No. 128/2011; 130/2011; 135/2011]

A Muslim male was demanding that the Irish state recognize his polygamous marriage in a Court case. The man is from Lebanon, where polygamy is permitted. He is married to two women and has been granted Irish citizenship. Seven years ago the Department of Justice refused to grant the man’s first wife a visa. The Lebanese male entered Ireland with his second wife and claimed asylum. His first wife did not arrive until much later. The man has children with both women. After its decision was challenged, the justice department agreed to quash its refusal to issue a visa to the first wife. But as part of this settlement, the man is required to ask the High Court to rule on the validity of his marriage under section 29 of the 1995 Family Law Act. The state and the wives are all represented in the case. The residency rights of both spouses will depend on the decision. A number of similar cases were awaiting the outcome.

Liam Majaahid Egan, from Gorey and a member of the Muslim Public Affairs Congress, accused Ireland of discriminating against Muslims in polygamous families. “It is draconian to treat this family differently,” said Egan.

“Ireland discriminates against Muslims seeking citizenship by asking them to sign an affidavit. The state should not be interfering in families like this. It is silent on adulterous affairs but the moment you try and do something honorable by bringing a woman into a marriage, even a polygamous marriage, there is an issue.”

In 2004 the Department of Justice introduced a requirement that Muslims seeking naturalisation sign a form confirming they had only one wife and would not marry a second one. The Department said: “The Irish Supreme Court in 1989 determined that polygamous marriages and potentially polygamous marriages are not valid and not entitled to recognition in Irish law. The Immigrant Council of Ireland said the case highlighted the need for the government to address gaps in immigration legislation dealing with family reunification. It wants rules about who qualifies to live in Ireland as the family member of an Irish citizen or migrant.

There have been a lot of cases like this litigated before the courts. The problem is that once the term "durable relationship" is written into the Constitution, it will give legal validity to their arguments. I refer to Neale Richmond's comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Forget your Muslims and their arrangements. Take a good home grown Irish family in a durable relationship - former 'General' Martin Cahill and the Lawless sisters. If that wasn't a durable relationship, notwithstanding occupational hazards, what is?

Yes, depending on circumstances and certain criteria. They are still taxed on anything they receive above a threshold as a stranger, i.e. no exemption applies. Spouses can, or those in "durable" relationships could claim as of their legal right with no criteria applied and with an exemption from inheritance tax also.

What obligation to support your new partner?

There isn't one, unless you marry them.

You are making stuff up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

No. Same as that "right to housing in the constitution" bollocks which is still only a proposal.

If you want the government to spend money that has to be on the basis of a Dail vote. Judges have, and should have, no input into budgets.

Advertisement