Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Scale Query

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

good lord you are insane. Mute. Maybe stick to twitter for insane rants. Increments are applied automatically in my university - hopefully the original poster has muted you aswell.

You are attempting to explain my own workplace and sector to me and seem annoyed that I know more than you. Which I do.

Maybe find a better use for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Here are the other menial tasks for the Administrator Officer II. Note II, which is considered to be even more specialized. Administrator Officer II takes the meeting minutes, what does Administrator Officer I do? Leave out the tea and biscuits?

Confirmation, again, that you have SFA notion of what an AO does. Keep displaying your ignorance while belittling a job that you clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about.

while paying someone €78k to take meeting minutes and updating a web page

Having to resort to deliberately cherry-picking misleading information to further your point only demonstrates that your point is a load of bollocks to begin with.

And what? Nothing special about that, more than half of adults today hold a level 8 qualification.

First of all, this is incorrect. When broken down by age, no demographic of people in the state have more than 50% at third level degree or higher. 25-29 year olds are highest with 47%, so this statement is rubbish. In 2016, 42% of people had a third level degree, the highest percentage ever, but this includes ALL third level qualifications, not just honours degrees at level 8, which is what we were discussing.

Source for the above:

So there is something special about that, when 100% of AOs have at least a level 8. It also blows holes in your argument where you're comparing these highly qualified people with the median wages of the country at large. You're moaning that these people are paid more, remember? Of course they're paid more, they're better qualified. You might as well give out about pharmacists earning more than binmen.

Compare level 8s in the private and public sector, see how it stacks up? Are they being paid more or less? Oh, right, you don't give a flying fcuk because it doesn't suit your narrative.

For anyone else keeping score: I have now asked you a number of questions about your aim/goal of this tirade against the public sector. Someone called you a troll, but I wasn't willing to accept that on face value. The fact that you have repeatedly refused to answer these questions is leading me to believe otherwise.

Increments are applied automatically in my university

That's not what you said originally. You said they're applied automatically, with no caveat or proviso that you were only talking about your own university.

Take a look in the mirror before you start throwing out accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Flexible? Well, you must join, and the contributions are fixed, so in that sense the SPSPS is not flexible.

The PS pensions in Ireland are unfunded. There is no pension fund. So the employers don't contribute, as there is no fund to contribute to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

They are being paid more. And more than many doctors and lecturers who are much better qualified.

Whoever sanctions these salaries for glorified pen pushers should be shown the door due to terrible budgeting skills.

• Advertisement

A brief opinion submitted as fact, replete with wild and sensationalist claims, backed up with absolutely nothing, and finished off with another insult. No effort to answer the questions again. Not even an acknowledgement that the questions exist, never mind an attempt to answer them. An outright refusal to engage on the many points being discussed. I suspect the person who called you a troll was spot on. Maybe you should leave the grown up discussions to the grown-ups?

It's the government who sanctions these salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

mother of god - which part of universities are independent is confusing to you. Your lack of knowledge about universities is obvious so not sure why you are commenting here. Of course I am only talking about my own university. Technological universities are completely different to any consituent of the national university of ireland. You seem to want to apply generalisations to universities - that is completely incorrect. My own terms and conditions vary significantly to other staff within my own university. Our own policies vary aswell.

Increments are applied automatically - stop looking up policies for one university and thinking they apply everywhere. They dont. My own university policies dont apply across all our campuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

AO II actually is often a lower grade than AO I in higher ed - AO1 would often be the highest admin grade

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

OP also check when increments are paid, for example if in June you may have to be in role by January to get them so you could go a year to 18 months without one. Best of luck in the new role.

The question was whether or not they are awarded automatically.

You said they are.

What you meant was "they are in my university", but that's not what you said.

You've no idea whether they're given automatically in the OPs new job or not, but you told him they were.

This is incorrect, and I pulled you on it. You've admitted as much yourself in this thread, it's different from one to the next, so I've no idea now why you're getting the hump when you were wrong and I was correct all along.

My own university policies dont apply across all our campuses.

So they're not automatically awarded, like you originally said.

Thanks for backing me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why should I answer or acknowledge your questions, last time I checked this is a discussion forum and allows for differing opinions. The basis of my opinions is no concern of yours.

I'm about the only person on these threads calling out the wanton waste of public funds feathering the nests of those working in cushy protected jobs but who also have this huge chip on their shoulder about their lot, when all evidence points otherwise.

Again, paying any degree holder €78k (almost double the median of level 8 holders based on a 35 hour work week) to take meeting minutes is just another example of the scandalous waste of money in state bodies.

Looking at this graph, my original point still stands. The OP ought to be glad of the starting salary for a non technical role and which is in excess of the median for degree holders.

Post edited by salonfire on

Why should I answer or acknowledge your questions, last time I checked this is a discussion forum and allows for differing opinions. The basis of my opinions is no concern of yours.

Because that's the entire basis of a discussion. Refusing to discuss things is the complete antithesis of a discussion, you can see this, yes?

You have one opinion, I have a different, opposing one. I disagree with your opinion, so I'm asking you to explain why you think like that and what your goal of raising these issues is. If you're unwilling to defend that opinion, then I reserve the right to dismiss your opinion as complete bullshit, simple as.

Others who are looking on and reading this are the same. You were called a troll earlier, they're saying the reason you're saying these things is to wind people up. That you don't really believe these things you're saying. Just looking for a reaction. I'm giving you the opportunity to prove to me, and everyone else, that this isn't true. Your opinion, if based on sound logic and reasoning, might be valid. You might win me or others over and get them to change their own opinions. Again, this is the cornerstone of a discussion. If it's based on a load of lies and bullsh1t, then you're confirming the troll accusation as being true.

If you're gonna stick two fingers up and say "why do I think this way?....fcuk you, that's why", you're not gonna win anyone over and you just sound like a crank. If you're not gonna defend your points, then your points are worthless in the context of a discussion.

If you're gonna make up lies ("more than half of adults hold a level 8"), then refuse to engage with anyone when those lies are called out, then your entire premise is worthless and can be dismissed as a load of shite, frankly.

If you're gonna act disingenuously (by using the top of the salary range instead of the entry point) when making your points, then your points ain't worth a damn.

By all means, keep doing what you're doing. It's a free country. That also means I'm free to call you out as a bullsh!t artist, though. I wouldn't do that if you weren't dodging anything that you couldn't handle.

Advertisement