Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

They are actually playing it very smart. Offered a full spec metro which would operate on the Green line south of Charlemont. Cue lots of NIMBYism and jumping up and down about it. Ok fine, we'll build it up to the tie in location and leave it as a possible in the future.

When the southsiders realise how good Metrolink is, they will be crying from their slammed full luas wishing for the Metrolink to run along the Green line as it always should.

Metrolink just has to get off the ground, or in this case in the ground and people will start to have faith. The oral hearings and tendering of contracts is a really exciting step forward. Seeing daa and others fully backing it is also very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

About a decade ago, I moved to Cherrywood and used the Luas to Sandyford. It never got full-ish until about Leopardstown. Last time I used it from Cherrywood, or, should I say, tried to use it. It was already jam packed at Cherrywood. Sardines in a tin level of jam packed. As soon as people in Ranelagh or anywhere else use the 19 hours day, 7 days a week, 3 minute frequency Metro, they will be demanding it gets extended to Sandyford. The Luas will feel like something from the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This won’t happen until there’s a parallel Green Line branch in place. The works estimation submitted to the 2018 Metrolink hearing said it this upgrade take 4 years, during which Green Line could not run through to Sandyford. Here was the expected sequence of works:

[ source document, with the four year indicative timescale, is here: Wayback Machine (archive.org) ] Stage 1 is 2.5 years; Stage 2 is 8 months; Stage 3, one month; stage 4, 9 months.

Note that any Metrolink extension was only ever possible to Sandyford. So, at the end of all this, Green Line would be split into two disconnected segments: Broombridge to Beechwood, and then, miles away, Sandyford to Bride’s Glen.

Obviously, that would rended Green Line useless south of Stephen’s Green, so a link will need to be created between these two islands of LUAS service. Soit would be a lot better to first open a new Green Line branch from Ranelagh to Sandyford, and only when that’s done, should anyone consider taking over the original Green Line as Metro.

The need to effectively break Green Line for four years was the reason this idea was canned. That and the fact that after all that disruption, not one additional household would have better access to rail transport. The opposite, was true in fact: Given the recent discussion about Ranelagh, it’s interesting to note that it is the biggest loser in this plan, because Ranelagh is the only Green Line stop that isn't transferred to a Metro station, and it also loses Luas services south of Beechwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The orphaned Luas line makes little sense after the metro extension. Wonder if a case could be made to extend it to Talaght

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Anyone who lives south of ranelagh already knows how badly its needed, its the nimbys in Ranelagh led by McDowell who scuppered the original extension plans. Also Cherrywood isnt even 25% complete, once its 100% occupied any luas from brides glen will be unuseable by the time it gets to sandyford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

The orphaned Luas lines make more sense when you consider there are active plans to extend the Luas from Broombridge to Finglas.

The Fingluas planning application is to be lodged within 12 months. It will hopefully start construction 2-3 years from now and will easily be finished construction before the MetroLink is done construction. Finglas to Ranelagh is more than a decent length tram line.

Extending the Green Line from Bride's Glen to Bray, which has a protected alignment would mean a Luas from Sandyford to Bray also a reasonable length tram line. A tram line from Bride's Glen to Finglas is kinda mad. Very few countries operate a tram those kinds of distances. Those distances are more frequently covered by metros or heavy rail systems like DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We are probably way off-topic at this stage, but has the old route for the Eastern Bypass been preserved even though the project was cancelled? And could that be used to link Sandyford to UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Could the Green line be upgraded to Metro standard, as far as Charlemont, but allow trams to continue onto Broombridge, via Harcourt, along the current track? Or would that defeat the purpose due to lower capacity?

If trams were split after Charlemont along Harcourt and SCR, could that allow sufficient capacity to have a "part Metro - part Luas" line?

Metrolink will be driverless so needs to be entirely enclosed and seperated from cars or pedestrians so it cant go near Harcourt st. This is also why the Ranelagh level crossing needed to be closed permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was in Milan in November. A three day ticket covering buses trams and the metro was €13. Didn't use the trams, but it was so easy to zip around the city.

What I'm really wondering is if Green Line capacity can be increased significantly without tying in with Charlemont Metro? It could be a distinct quasi-Metro line with drivers.

It would leave Charlemont Metro open for extensions to the SW, avoid the Green Line being split, and avoid the worst of disruption during construction.

I'm cautious not to veer off topic on this, just trying to ascertain what options will exist assuming Metrolink is approved and built as proposed.

The future of Green Line south of Charlemont was investigated in 2019: metrolink_green_line_future_demand_capacity_intervention.pdf

Conclusion:

“The results of the analysis suggest that an upgrade to Green Line services south of Charlemont is required to accommodate growth in peak period demand beyond 2028. [note: They’re talking about the Green Line Capacity Enhancement project, and that was completed in 2023]. Projections using the NTA East Regional Model indicate that upgrades to the Green Line infrastructure and additional fleet, to provide a 30 tram per hour service in the morning peak, could accommodate passenger demand on the corridor for up to 20 years following the opening of a MetroLink service between Swords and Charlemont. The timing of this upgrade requirement is dependent on the rate of growth in demand.”

The current Green Line runs at about 8,800 passengers per hour per direction after the recent capacity enhancement project. The maximum capacity the consultants expected from Green Line after another round of enhancement works is 11,000 passengers per hour per direction. That's actually a very good figure for a tram service - notably better than the 9900 ppdh that was envisaged in the original Metro North project.

However, reusing the tracks for Metro operations would bring capacity to 18,000 ppdh, but that’s not needed for a long time yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can this thread return to the title of the thread.

Interesting as the options south of Charlemont might be, there are other threads that are suitable for such postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well original plan was to extend it to Bray, so you would have Bray to Sandyford on Luas (change with Metro). Likewise with Finglas line you would have Finglas to Charlemont (interchange with Metro)

Thanks for that. Again, not trying to veer off topic. Given there are calls to cut short the proposals to SSG, due to the implications for future extensions (which I fully disagree with), I think it's important to understand the implications of the proposed plans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Albert College Park was the topic of the Oral Hearing today apparently, with our friends in Gadra complaining that the NTA didn't meet with them enough. 🤣

So far, what I've read of the hearings has been enormously positive. Nothing has been said that would be taken onboard by ABP, other than "do mitigations."

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I agree - if ML is approved and construction starts, I suspect other lines will go into planning over the next few years. Apart from anything else, we'd be mad to stand down crews and equipment associated with ML when it's finished when we know they'll be needed again for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

I’ve been watching this thread for about a year now. Anecdotal evidence but OH is going relatively well so far, no major shockers. The people in TII and all the various consultants are working their ass off and doing their due diligence. Very thorough, beyond what should be required but what this country demands. Would be absolutely criminal for this project not to proceed but I’m 100% certain it will. If we can stick to the timelines, construction will start in 2025 and it will have the momentum to wade through recessions and changes in government. I’ll be genuinely proud if this country can deliver this scheme which might get some eye roles. Less an asset for me but more for my children and I feel if we get one alignment under our belt, we’ll have the confidence to do what Copenhagen has done

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it is worth highlighting, that this is a major reason why the Metrolink needs to terminate at Charlemont, as opposed to Stephens Green.

30 trams an hour Sandyford to Charlemont, is a tram every 2 minutes, this high a frequency would only be possible because that section of track is well segregated. North of Charlemont you hit the street running sections and such a high frequency isn't possible.

Part of the plan is to have a turn back facility at Charlemont, the idea I presume is that many people will transfer to Metrolink at this location and that a lesser number of trams will continue on North of here at a lower frequency. Such a high frequency wouldn't be possible if Metrolink terminated at Stephen Green instead.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times take on this is great. Subtly pointing out the ridiculous suggestion that a full station in the park would be less disruptive than an air duct and escape shaft!!

The owners of that house must be disappointed the station will be a 9 minute walk away rather than 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea all the submissions today were very minor and not going to detail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

The city of Prague has a permanent engineering office whose job is only to plan and design extensions to the city's metro. That way, when budget allows, a ready-for-approval project can be picked up and progressed.

Dublin should really do the same, considering its ambitions around public transport provision: keep a pipeline of projects ready, so that we're not waiting four or five years just to get something ready for the planning process.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

HOLY **** FOLKS, WE'VE FOUND IT, THE MOST BATSHIT OBSERVATION ON THE METROLINK, I DON'T SEE HOW THIS COULD ACTUALLY BE BEATEN!!!

Apparently the noise, vibrations and dust will cause "undue stress" to the cattle. You know. In an Abattoir. Where they chop them up into itty little bits.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So - current plan is to tunnel a few (dozen?) metres beyond the Charlemont station and just stop? Does the TBM have to be extracted there or can it be reversed to a works site elsewhere?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

It's a fair distance on, think there's room enough for two trains to be held past the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Rarely if ever reversed, as the concrete shuttering put up to support the tunnel narrows the bore and makes reversing impossible. Usual fate is either dismantling and removal for reassembly and reuse or scrapping, or drive it to the side and leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When they need it again they get another TBM to bore it out

Advertisement