Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Then you ask what is RTÉ long term illness benefit policy and then you ask how many people are out on long term illness from the company.

Also you can conclude: -

if he says that its confidential,

you just say: so we can conclude that RTÉ are paying Jim during his long term illness and this the policy of RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

And then you know what you do if you don't get a reply from Jim, Frances Abeton, Glen Killane, Willie O'Reilly, Jon William or Murine Laffan you doorstop each and every last one of them.

Problem is the Media all know the answer to those questions, they just don't want to ask those questions.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I am not sure about that, but there was an investigation into bullying in the news department, as stated in the Oireachtas Committee by Eimear Cusack, but also he would have left in line with the 2021 redundancy packages.

Because except for Jim, they all left Dee's Executive team and potential used the redundancy schemes to leave. I posted the years earlier in the thread.

Or why don't the media want to ask those questions? I don't really know TBH.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The reason the 'hacks' in the media don't scrutinise RTE too much is that RTE get most of their presenter types from the 'media tree'.

A lot of them, I would suggest would aspire a gig in RTE and proceed to bathe their feet.

Most of the discussion panels are made up of hacks telling the audience how great their colleagues are in the print media.

Luvvie central around the 'Award seasons it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah right. The print media has long been very critical of RTE - they're competing for the same advertising pot after all and the print media's websites aren't subsidised by licence-fee funded news and content.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Fair play to tubs for indirectly blowing the lid on all this.

Rte seem to have the budget of a top football team but produce no results.

The stuff about guessing the outcomes of WRC rulings to calculate exit packages is mental, especially in the case of Coveney where there is clear grounds for dissmissal.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gavan Riley thinks journalism is tweeting news the fastest. News that he hasn't sourced himself. It's amateur hour.

Bakhurst still mulling over this new legal advice. And Dee Forbes still sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I can't understand why people aren't paying the license fee. Looking at the programmes on now on RTE1 and 2 tonight. Operation Transformation, Book Club, RFDS: Royal Flying Doctor Service, Alice and Jack. Couple that with other glorious RTE shows like Dancing with the Stars Nobodies and First Dates Ireland. How could they possibly fail? 🤮

While I like TG4 unless it takes control of RnaG and Children's Content from RTÉ its budget will be nowhere near 100m.

If RTÉ, TG4 and Screen Ireland want any increases they should be asked to outline what they would do on receipt on increase. There is this idea that RTÉ need more funding just to continue to do what it has always done.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No chance. She was at the end of a non-renewable fixed term contract and had already in effect left (she was using up accumulated holidays) when she "resigned". She got paid in accordance with her contract. She has no case.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The press really are behind. Tweets saying RTÉ is going contact those that left since 2016.

I didn't read the full articles but I am guessing names were not mention

Frances Abeton, Brian Dalton, Glen Killane, Willie O'Reilly, Jon William and Murine Laffan 

______

Yesterday

It actually worse than that. TBH. RTÉ2 has little to no Irish programming outside of sport. Same for the player if you want to argue that route.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maybe he'd write a musical?

(Sung to the tune of "The Greatest Show" from The Greatest Showman)

[Verse 1]

Ladies and gents, this is the moment you've waited for

The night of the year, when we bring you something more

Than just a show, it's a spectacle, a musical extravaganza

But don't ask us how much it cost, 'cause we don't have an answer

[Chorus]

Whoa, we're the Toy Show, the Toy Show

We're everything you ever want, we're everything you ever need

And it's here right in front of you, this is where you wanna be

We're the Toy Show, the Toy Show

We light up the screen, we make you laugh, we make you cry

But we don't care about the budget, we just spend it till it's dry

[Chorus]

[Bridge]

But what you don't know, is that we lost 2.2 million

On a musical that flopped, it was a disaster

But we don't regret it, we don't apologize

We just move on, we just ignore the cries

Of the taxpayers, the license payers, the ones who fund our show

They don't matter, they don't understand, they don't know what we know

That we're the Toy Show, the Toy Show

We're the greatest show on earth

[Chorus]

We're the Toy Show

, the Toy Show

We're the greatest show on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Rory is probably the unknow person who 'finished off' the Toy Show script.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Why did Bakhurst enter into a confidentiality agreement and why was the handshake deal so ridiculously high when the station is broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The print media owners are definitely vocal in their criticism of RTE, the people who work for said companies less so, they need to keep their job prospects open.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

I because it looks bad.

Some one in Human Resource could provide a better outline of the issues on the Firing of people from a company, RTÉ had choices: -

1. Large payment to move the person along quickly (they choose this)
    2. Consider Dismal paying out minimum 12 weeks severance due to the dismissal (there are a range of reasons you can be dismissed on)
    3. Consider gross misconduct (no payment required here)

The first is the easy option, the second 2 could have Richard and Rory bring you to the WRC, but let them, it would be then in the public domain, I don't think either Rory or Richard would want that, and what if they lost?

But perhaps there is more, we prob should read the advice give to RTÉ, in that press release.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If they are being audited I would like a company from outside the state to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I agree, we saw what happened the last auditor that tried to do a good job - they changed auditor. Remember the emergency call they got st paddys day that something was up? All of a sudden a new auditor brought in.. hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Option 1 suits everyone. The folks walk away with a payout and out of the mess and RTE get rid of them and both don't have to air their dirty washing in the WRC.

By right option 1 in this case should be off the table and in future sure not exist and option 2 becomes the main option. If people do feel they have a grievance then and if the company feels they have done nothing wrong then let them go fight it out in the WRC.

The letters telling RTÉ to retain confidential do not actually show why RTÉ decided offer either Richard or Rory, on what legal grounds they might have been brought into the WRC.

______

Yesterday

We all know that their positions became untenable after initial PAC hearing. It seems that Backhurst wanted rid of them as quickly as he could and thought paying them off the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of them. I don't know what the employment details were of both of them were they on contracts or permanent employess, if on contracts, then how long did they have left and could they have been moved to the garden at montrose till the contract ran out and then let go with nothing. I don't know what legal grounds they could go to the WRC and also RTE may not have wanted to go to the WRC either and have god knows what else exposed as well as dragging this out longer.

I think Backhurst just wanted to clean house and try move on from this as quickly as possible and get on with running RTE and the best way was to pay these 2 off. To me all of the Senior management involved in this with the exception of Aine O'Leary positions became untenable with what was revealed and the behavior of them and I think a few more will go.

I can understand why Bakhurst would want to get rid of both as quickly as possible and start fresh.

But the legal advise that he has provided has nothing to do with the exit package he and the board signed off on. Rather it is about the confidentiality of those exit packages.

If Bakhurst and RTE don't want to end up in the WRC then why not offer everyone a good exit package?

Would Rory or Richard want to go to the WRC? It would put it largely into the public domain, why they were fired and how much they were paid.

Did Bakhurst and the board ever think of just dismissing them under a Dismal or under Gross Negligence ? were these options raised?

Seems RTÉ had no negotiating hand? This does sound right.

______

Yesterday

In my opinion in with Coveney and Collins is suited all sides to to go down this route. We can only speculate why but to me it looks like RTE weren't sure they would win or are hiding something and didn't want to be exposed. To a person like me if there is nothing to hide from RTE why didn't RTE sack them and then let them take RTE to the WRC. Then you could get in conspiracy theories because of one the people involved was some pressure put on to just get that person out the glare before people start asking more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's a small community of execs in rte and no doubt in each other's pockets in work, and outside work.

Dublin and it's environs might like to convince the rest of us that's it's a big metropolis but in reality in a city with a large number of people and then an area with a particular set of people. People who live in a whole different world to most regular folk.

Rte seems to breed an arrogant mentality that is disgusting tbh.

They have truly gotten above themselves and I don't think PAC is capable of changing that.

It's a fairly small city by any international standards, with one significant publicly owned broadcaster that is so up its own rear end that it imagines its the BBC crossed with Hollywood, yet could never even manage to do a couple of regional versions and regularly talks like it's local Dublin TV/Radio.

I'd be a lot less annoyed with RTE if they'd just overspent on public service broadcasting activities, but that's not what they're spending money on. It's over inflated salaries, ludicrous projects and lashing the cash.

They need to have it driven home that they are a public service broadcaster in a small country, not the equivalent of some big commercial outfit with huge audiences like NBC, Sky or ITV.

Not only that, but it's up against serious and rapidly expanding competition not just from Virgin Media TV, but from UK broadcasters and serious international players and all the streamers.

It could be doing so much more for promoting and selling Irish produced drama and all sorts of things, but ... instead it seems to live in some kind of D4 La La land.

It isn't 1961, 1981 or even 1991. Nobody is sitting at home in two channel land anymore.

A serious reality check is needed in Donnybrook and it needs to start with asking the question: What is RTÉ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When you hear about the goings on at the FAI, you have to wonder whether every government funded entity is corrupt and wasteful. Do they all need to be probed? Successive FF and FG government have allowed a free for all and toothless committees have only found out about major malpractice by accident. It's utterly depressing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement